Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins Love To Run! (Read 25 times)

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone, just a quick drop in. Going to do week 3 day 1 with my friend and his wife. Its amazing they are already on week 3!

This weekend was a tough one. Had a date night Friday with the wife which was planned for and we knew about that. Had Japanese and a movie (coke and popcorn). However Saturday we had 2 B'day parties one of them was the movies (coke and popcorn again) followed by ice cream at DQ.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm home, and I AM BEAT!!!  I'm going to start working on my RR, but it did go well.  P3's race had a bit of a snafoo.  The race director took all of the blame for it, and said he didn't explain the course well enough to the volunteers.  Let's just say that they restarted after she had already run almost 2 miles.  She still ended up rocking it after the restart.  Before anybody bashes the race director, he's a class act.  He owned up to it, and took all of the blame off of the volunteers.  He offered to refund entry fees, and discount a future event of the runner's choice.  We talked about it on the way home, and P3 doesn't want the refund.  The offer was plenty, and she still got to run a 10K.  He was obviously embarrassed, and willing to do the right thing.  I'll put my finish time in the RR, but P3 finished her first 10K in 1:17 after having to restart almost 2 miles in.  I congratulated her on her first almost 15K.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

So sorry about P3's race.  Chicago is not doing so well lately with the races.

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Awood, sorry to hear about P3's race snafu, at least she knows she was fully warmed up, right? Smile. Hope your race went well!  I'll look for your RR.

Great day for me, went to a running clinic on ABCD drills, very informative.  Then I got to stay and use the indoor track for a great 10 mile run, which was really nice since its raining/sleeting outside.  Wish I had access to an indoor track all the time!

Hope everyone is having a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm just really proud of her.  She ran a 10K, and ran it much faster than her training paces.  I was really impressed.

So sorry about P3's race.  Chicago is not doing so well lately with the races.

RR is up.  Hopefully will add pics later.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens... I can only check in for a moment...

Congrats to Philliefan and Awood! Sorry if I missed anyone...

I ran 14 miles this morning in 1:59 and it was good! DW did 13.

pae

Today I did just under 10 miles, with 8 miles at goal MP (~9:00/mile).  Even though it was cold and a bit windy, I felt decent out there.  I took my Nathan pack with me, but I shouldn't have bothered.  The tube froze within the first three miles.  :-p

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today has been a really lazy day for me.  Well, mostly.

I slept in past 8:30 a.m.

Then I got up, ate a Powerbar, got my gear on, went to Fort Sam Houston and did 3.7 miles run/walk.  I did my 'Dog Alley" run, and treated all my doggie pals along the way.   The weather was QUITE different from yesterday when I did my 5K.   Weather at start time of 5K:  62 and humid.  Weather for my run today:  44 degrees with a 25 - 30 mph wind blowing and a 'feels like' temp of 39.  In one day we got that change!  Mother Nature is going nutso down here!  At times I was running right into the wind.  I kept thinking about those old-time movies where a smaller guy is trying to punch a bigger guy, but the bigger guy has his hand on the smaller guy's forehead, so the smaller guy just can't quite reach the bigger guy.  That's what the wind felt like to me at times, a giant hand on my head giving me resistance. At least the sun was shining brightly which helped a little, mentally making me feel a bit warmer anyway.

After my run ended back at the gym where I started, I then did a 1-hour fully body weight training circuit.  I was a bit tired after all that!  Got showered and changed and went to the military PX (Post Exchange) to pick up some lunch for me and Gail before going home.  PX was having some kind of raffle to support the Wounded Warriors, so I bought a ticket...and ended up winning lunch for two from Robin Hood (a PX sandwich shop that makes salads, subs, wraps, etc).  Nice timing!

Took lunch home, ate, and then napped off-and-on in my favorite chair for a few hours.  Woke up a bit ago...and the wind is still blowing really hard and our high for today is only 59...compared to a high of 82 yesterday.  Crazy damn Mother Nature!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Margo, congrats on your 5K and getting the sub 30!  Congrats to your DH too.  How rude of him, not letting you finish ahead. Wink

Hope you enjoyed the wedding, Kristin.  And yours is when...  ? Wink   Nice run with the doggie!  Does he (she?) get to go to the wedding too?

Congrats to you both on your LR, Jerry!  Why is your DD in Berlin?  Enjoy the belated St. Patrick's Day meal...what kind of dish is Harp? Joking

Way to go on your 11, Bin.   Sorry about you feeling heaty....maybe get some ice to help you get coldy...

Congrats on the easy 4, Gustav.

Way to go on your LR, Mitch.  BTW, PM me your snail mail, I have something for you.   Been meaning to mail it to you for quite a while...but with my spaghetti-strainer memory, I couldn't find the darn thing!  Finally did!

Sorry to hear about Trixie, Damaris, hope she recovers quickly.

Wow, Jimmy...movies, coke, popcorn, ice cream...that does sound like a tough weekend! Roll eyesWink

Awood, congrats to you and your DW on your races!  Dang, so she ended up running 8 miles for her 10K, with the unexpected extra 2 miles, and still rocked her "official" 10K, awesome!  She probably could've finished the half  you did. Smile

10 miles on an indoor track!  You are a VERY patient man, Dave!

Congrats to you and DW, Jack, way to go on the long runs.

Congrats on your 10 miles, Pae.  I don't know what a nathan pack is - I'm assuming like a camelbak - but sorry the tube froze.  Now that's cold!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Hello everyone!  Sorry for the late check in!  My last over-race-distance LR is in the books!  14 miles.    I was definitely feeling it by the end but knew I only have a few runs left that will really improve my fitness on race day, and this was one of them.  The next few days are doing to be tough because we are going to my SIL's wedding later in the week, and will be really busy with family activities.  So most of next week's quality runs are before we leave, yikes!  That way I just have shorter, easier runs to fit in while we're out of town.

Awood- Rock on!  Glad you had a good race and that the lungs got their at together just in time.

Dave- What are ABCD drills?

Jack- Mileage twins today!  Except that I was 20 minutes slower, hehe!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sorry about Pew Pew Pew's race, Awood.

Trixie is still at the hospital, all loopy from the ultrasound.  Hoping for good results tomorrow!

Damaris

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Damaris, tell Trixie that I say, "Get well soon".

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

She sent you a meow.

Damaris, tell Trixie that I say, "Get well soon".

Damaris

Mmmmm...beer

Dave- What are ABCD drills?

It breaks the running motion into 4 parts and there's drills you can run to work on each part, in theory allowing you to improve your overall form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSgtCbVMVMg&list=PLVSVg5Z221milY_3THybwOv09nYx3OxoS

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

hog4life

Scotty, PM sent. The wind is blowing like crazy here also.

Zel, you are going to rock your HM, I can't wait to here about it.

Awood and P3, you guys rocked them races.

Jimmy, I'm sending the RD an email that you will be picking up my race packet. I will do my best to be there by the 8:00 am start. I prolly wont get much of a chance to warm up unless I can get off work 1/2 hour early or so. I let Connie drive, so we should get there a little quicker, haha.

I got 4 miles in this evening with the pup, nice and easy. She got so excited when I got the leash and started towards her, it's like she knew she was getting out. She only pulled a little during the first mile, then she settled down to a comfortable gait that was 9:50 pace which worked out great for me, hehe.