Masters Running

Monday July 26 Runs and Other Such Silly Behavior (Read 475 times)

henrun, I can picture it.  Have a greta time--I saw Judy Collins at Tanglewood in 1978, I think it was.  Can still remember her voice ringing out over the hills up into the night sky. 

Deez, are you going to the hearing?  They can be frustrating--I obviously haven't practiced in MA for a while, but the standard is still danger to self or others.  Sometimes if there's not a strong showing of danger to self, the person will be let out.  Not eating could be enough--I hope it goes ok, you know I am thinking of you all.  Just be prepared.  I've seen hearings go awry for families.  Please keep us updated.

GOOD LUCK Holly! 

gym day here.

Leslie's post yesterday, with the baseball photo of Hub, reminded me of a couple on Collrunning--remember Hup, a board moderator?  He loves baseball and plays it.  He and his wife Mary live in CA (unless they moved since).

Kind of close, o?

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
    OrangeMat

MM #6177

It's OK to call me "OM", Mari. I just wanted to point out I didn't pick my handle specifically so the abbreviation would end up being that auspicious sound!

Rest day today, and for some reason, I'm hungrier than usual. I started a new eating plan last week, and so far, I'm three pounds less for my efforts. I'm trying not to feel guilty for eating, having not had any exercise to "justify" it, but I guess that's part of the new plan as well. I hope to go to yoga class this evening, if I have my car (sharing a vehicle with DS this summer, oh joy).

{{{Denise}}}

Enjoy the day, all.

Marathon Maniac #957

I went to the Administrative Secretary interview today and guess what?  It wasn’t an interview.  It was a testing session with four other applicants.  It would have been nice to be told that in advance.  (I was simply told to report to Ms. So-and-so at 11:20 regarding my application).  All that effort to change into my interview attire and spruce up in a McDonad’s restroom (after inventing an elaborate excuse to leave the office) – wasted.   

Unprepared and quite flustered, I bungled the testing pretty badly.  There was a section on Microsoft Word, which I use and thought I knew pretty well, but it got into advanced operations that I don’t know about.  Then a test on Excel, which I took in college but use only slightly now, which I completely screwed up.  Had I known I was going to be tested on Excel today, I would have reviewed my textbook beforehand, but instead I was completely unprepared and could barely remember the basics.  Then a typing test.  I never expect to do well on typing tests, as I am not a superb typist at best, but today, using a standard keyboard (I use an ergonomic keyboard) and sitting on a chair that was 10 inches too low, well, I know I didn’t do well on that.  Then a simple grammar test and a business letter. 

I walked out of there completely deflated.  And this mangled assessment will go on record with the county.

(sigh)

I believe that I’m a pretty good paralegal, and I think that would translate to being a good administrative secretary, but I don’t think this assessment is a good reflection of my skills.  Oh well.  At least we got the disappointment out of the way now, instead of wasting weeks of wondering and hoping...

And of course, I am quite grateful that I currently have a job anyway...

Dg - have you tried Cliff Shot Blocks?  You can just carry them in a ziplock, and they don't make such a mess.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

{{{{Denise and Justin}}}}

Vista, I don't think you oughta run when it's over 100°.    Just sayin.

Roch, good to see ya!  Have fun on that bike tour.

PBJ, wow, 24 miles yesterday.  Sorry to hear about the bonk -  H&H?

Deb, congrats on the 15 miler yesterday.  Interesting stories about the gu explosion and the wipeout - hope your scrapes aren't too bad.

Holly, so sorry your interview wasn't an interview. I bet you would have aced that.  Weird that they didn't tell you it was a test.  Maybe that was part of the test?  Or maybe it's just a sign that this job isn't right for you.  Keep looking.

Looking forward to a trail run after work.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hi ya'll!

I'm having "one of those Monday's".   I really do not have time to be here right now, but I got so worked up with a customer today I almost told him to go to Hell, and it takes a lot to get me mad like that.   What an ass!!!   Anyway, I needed some RA therapy.

We had a great weekend.   Weather was rainy Saturday morning, so I didn't get a run in.   Once it cleared up we took our scooters out and put on about 50 miles.   It was great!    Sunday I got out for 5 miles, but I was a bit dehydrated from all the wine the previous night, so it wasn't my best effort.   Today is a scheduled rest day.  My back is feeling a little better and the pain seems to be moving down into my butt - hopefully out of my body is the next move.

No time for personals - I'll catch up later!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

the pain seems to be moving down into my butt - hopefully out of my body is the next move.

Somehow this just cracked me up, Mary.......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Holly, so sorry your appointment turned out to be a pop-quiz style test. I know how frustrating it is to feel like the rug got pulled out from under you. Any chance you can call the hiring authority to let them know what happened? Not many people could walk into a testing environment completely unprepared and not be flustered by it. That was bad form on their part to not let you know exactly what you were coming in for. And it's possible that the results would be on file just for this recruitment; things like this are rarely kept on file for long, or for all possible positions. Hang in there... don't give up!

{{Denise}} Good advice/info from Aamos. Hope it works out for the best.

Mary, I have those days every now and then. (and yeah, that pain moving out of your butt thing cracked me up, too!)

Hi Rochrunner! That bike trip sounds like fun. Do you camp out along the way?

Legs are strangely tired and stiff this morning....

Marathon Maniac #957

Legs are strangely tired and stiff this morning....

gee, I wonder why?

Hi Rochrunner! That bike trip sounds like fun. Do you camp out along the way?

Yes and no. We camp, but I am with a great outfit called "Bubba's Pampered Pedalers", who I also stayed with on a bike tour last summer. Bubba supplies the tent and air mattress, a fresh towel every day, a big canopy with camp chairs, snacks, beverages, etc. Not only does it take the hassle out of camping, but it also gives me a group to hang out with and often to ride with as well.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

Yes and no. We camp, but I am with a great outfit called "Bubba's Pampered Pedalers", who I also stayed with on a bike tour last summer. Bubba supplies the tent and air mattress, a fresh towel every day, a big canopy with camp chairs, snacks, beverages, etc. Not only does it take the hassle out of camping, but it also gives me a group to hang out with and often to ride with as well.

Does Bubba have room for another ?......Seriously

I'm supposed to be on RAGBRAI right now but life really got in the way of things.

Denise - I will continue to keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Carolyn - Re your question yesterday - The Hub used to be/sort of still is a "local celebrity" - at least in his mind. Ha! Seriously though, he was an asst coach for this team for 4 years and was head coach for 10 years.  It's been about 4 or 5 years since he stopped.

The whole story behind the Crabs is an excellent one and too long to get into here.  This is their 66nd year in existence and are the oldest, continuously running semi-pro program in the country.  It's great family-friendly, affordable baseball.  On a good day, the ballpark will sell out and there will be between 1200-1500 people in attendance.  Yesterday had a lower attendance as there was a car show in a neighboring town.

Holly - We don't get the heat here on the North Coast, but drive 30 min inland and it's high 90s/low 100s.  We've actually had a nice summer so far, but our best months are Sept/Oct.  Still, if it gets hits 70 here on the coast, people complain about it being hot.   Sorry about the interview/test.  It's strange that they wouldn't have told you what was happening.  Don't give up, though.  The right position will come along at the right time.  Use your network to let people know you're looking if the right job pops up.  You know who can and can't keep their mouths shut so it doesn't get back to your boss.  Persistence will pay off.

Aamos - I do remember Hup.  The Hub played in the minors for the Braves many  moons ago.  So his favorite teams are the Braves and whoever is playing against the Giants.

SRD for me.  Am having to rearrange my schedule this week to accommodate an all day class/exam on Saturday to re-up my  notary commission, attend a friend's "marriage reception" (they got married in February), and our anniversary on Sunday.  *sigh*   Why people can't just leave me alone, I have no idea.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dove

The Dovenator

I have been having a hard time keeping up with the daily, so I know I'm missing a lot of what is going on in everyone's lives. I'm going to try and catch up this week.

I did catch Denise's story and wanted to send her a big cyber (((hug))). I have a friend that went through a similar struggle when we were in our early 20's. It was a long and scary road, but she eventually improved and is now a very happy, successful and well adjusted woman.

I've been doing a lot of weird events this summer to keep the fun of running alive. Here is a picture of my DS and I after the Bivalve Low Tide Mud Run on Saturday:

"it's just like having fun, but different"

wildchild

Carolyn

Roch, Bubba's camp setup sounds great, but how do you know which tent is yours? They all look alike.  Especially in the dark after a few beers...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Holly, listen to Ek as this area is a specialty for her.  I too would call and without sounding like you are making a complaint, just state your case regarding your expectations vs what you were told and the testing conditions.  Spareribs

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Dove.. that's pretty muddy.. a sign of lots of fun!  Great picture!

Slo- regarding Rayan Hall winning the 7 mile race.  He was averaging 2:03 marathon pace. No sweat for 7 miles for him but 4:40's is really smokin!!

Dg--

Today was 45 min pool running with intervals. Postponed land running due to very muggy morning and cooler tomorrow,  So I get in the pool.... it's upper 80's! I was sweating like crazy after I got out... oh well JTWILI

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova