Masters Running

The Thursday 12/5 Daily (Read 40 times)

Henrun

Sunny morning  2 mile run ending the first mile with a short jaunt up and down our major hill. More walking this afternoon enjoying 40 temps and sun.

Marathon Maniac #957

BTY - the first Christmas we were married, DH got me a vacuum cleaner for a present.  I have never forgiven him...

Leslie - too funny!  Where do you come up with these?

I have decided to stop wearing my fit bit for the next couple of months. Since I wear it on my left wrist, and don't get credit for steps unless the arm is free to swing, I tend to unconsciously lift and carry with my right hand when I am wearing it, and since I need to NOT be lifting and carrying things with my right hand after the surgery, it would be better to forego the fit bit.

So, since my October bloodwork showed my sodium levels to be a bit low, I have to get more bloodwork before the surgery.  I told the nurse that my sodium levels are ALWAYS a bit low when I get my annual bloodwork, this is my norm.  I added that I have salt tablets and could take one the night before the surgery if that would help.  But no, Monday morning is more bloodwork.  Three office visits and now bloodwork prior to the event.  Who knew having surgery was so complicated?

I bought the biggest blueberries I have ever seen today at Kroger - some of them have the diameter of a quarter - and the are absolutely delicious.  I have to work not to eat the whole package at one sitting.  They are from Mexico, surprisingly.  I didn't realize Mexico grew blueberries.  $3.99 well spent.  I will probably buy more tomorrow.....

3.2 miles on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm optimistic about this guy even though Macy's sucks.  He was also with ebay and Home Depot, and Depot would have taken him back in a heartbeat.

2.1 treadmill miles and some weights downstairs in the work gym (I had it to myself) before lunch.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

80-lbs of Chicken Wings, and 2-cases of Beer

the Local HS Coach is bringing a Dozen Large Pizzas////////

...........I hope

they don't notice the Pepto-Bismol

I'm bringing with me.......

And, Holly, I cannot reveal my sources. 

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

tonite

they're having an Awards Banquet

he said

they're getting 80-lbs of Chicken Wings, and 2-cases of Beer

(for 30-people)

I told him

''I've seen them eat, that's not gonna be enough food''

Actually, I was thinking that's not enough beer....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BTY

Tet - Yes, there is a clock on one wall that I can read with my prescription goggles (believe it or not, they're the same price as other regular goggles, out on the web) but I can't read it from the opposite end of the pool.   I don't do flip turns when doing these long swims - they tire me out too much - so I'm always able to see the clock when I turn, at the near end. 

Holly - DW and I are very practical when it comes to Christmas presents.   It isn't uncommon for us to get each other very practical gifts, like tools, cutlery, pots and pans, work clothes.   Things we need but have been putting off.  In fact, she returns all of the more "personal" gifts I get her and exchanges them for "the right ones" and that started the first year we were married also.      Now I usually get her gift cards to her favorite places, and some small tokens so she has something to open.   It works for us.

(Tet)  

BTY - Pretty impressive awareness of pace, especially in a pool.

Do you calculate from a pool side clock or something?

(Holly) 

BTY - the first Christmas we were married, DH got me a vacuum cleaner for a present.  I have never forgiven him...

Tramps

DW and I are very practical when it comes to Christmas presents.   It isn't uncommon for us to get each other very practical gifts, like tools, cutlery, pots and pans, work clothes.   Things we need but have been putting off.

+1

And the older we get, the less likely we "need" anything, so the gifts tend to get smaller.

Be safe. Be kind.

My mom was the ultimate penny pincher, and I don't mean that in a bad way at all.  Our family was on a very tight budget because my mom had so many medical bills.  I wish I'd inherited the penny pinching gene from her!

One of the things that drove my dad crazy is she wouldn't buy herself new/nice things.  It's not that he wanted her to be extravagant, but she deserved to treat herself every now and then.  One year for Christmas, he made a treasure chest out of cardboard, then filled it with new clothes. When she opened it Christmas day, she almost hyperventilated because the only thing she could think of was how much money he had spent.  Poor, Dad.  Without meaning to, she really hurt his feelings.

Okay - 40 min power walk at lunch, including 4 hill repeats and then 2 x 1 min running on the way back.  We'll see how things go . . . .

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

We don't really give each other gifts anymore either. Although that said, it seems there are always things under the tree for us, usually me cuz DH doesn't listen to the "we have too much stuff, no presents!" mantra. We do give each other travel though. This year, we're going to Hawaii, just the two of us, leaving the night of the 13th and getting back on Friday the 20th. Last year it was New York and Delaware (for the marathon) and we made sure to play in Manhattan and saw "Wicked" which was very good. I don't need any more stuff. And my kids buy what they want, but we get them gift cards to Amazon or the yoga place they like. And movie passes! Those are fun. But more stuff? Nope. If I can't eat it or drink it, I probably don't want it (and certainly don't need it).

Well, if -3 was cold, it's really cold now! Today was -16° on our drive in to work. The nice thing is it was a beautifully sunny day today. When it's warmer, that usually means its cloudy and overcast. Get tired of all the dreary grey. So, this week has been a bit difficult but it's going to warm up this weekend and no snow in the forecast so I will get out for some runs out side this weekend. Tonight will be another treadmill run (4th in a row, egads) and tomorrow is a work trip to Anchorage all day so no run.

Joe618

Yikes....16 below...so cold...so sorry!!   Hate to tell you I had IRC here this afternoon for 6 miles after work.   Sunny, no wind, 44F...so nice and doubly so for December.   Really nice run after a very hectic day at work.    The chicken burrito bowl was a highlight. 

Watching the Bears-Cowboys game on TV and will likely have them on the radio to fall asleep to soon. 

Rock your evening, folks. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quick post since I ate late (teaching spin) and tomorrow I have the early class....and I try and run before it.  Nice 7 mile run mid-afternoon.  As mentioned previously, taught spin this evening.

TwoCat, DW isn't really a jewelry person either.  This will be our 30th anniversary which is pearl....but I bought her multiple sets when I was deployed to Qatar in '06.  I'll never be able to top those.  Suggested she find a nice white winter coat (she's been looking).  But I wanted to do more than that.  This piece will be fairly small, a pearl in the center then her birthstone, mine, and each of sons around it.  It will be small but meaningful to her.....especially since I seldom do this.

Have a greta night everyone!

evanflein

Nice, Falcon. DH likes getting me jewelry, and he picks very nice stuff. But I seem to wear the same few things over and over. I think he gets tired of them and wants to see something different!

5.5 miles on the TM today. Looking forward to getting outside this weekend.

SteveP

My oldest surviving aunt got shock absorbers for her car. My uncle was quite pleased with his thoughtful gift.

DW and I are giving each other a cruise at the end of January. She found a good deal.....until the add ons.

Sunday after snow-blowing, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I've had shoulder issues. I went to the chiropractor Monday and Wednesday. Thursday I called off of work and was able to get into my primary care. I've got muscle relaxers and have been given restrictions. If it isn't better by the end of next week, we'll talk MRI. She had the "you're not a kid anymore" talk with me again. I took Dunkin out on the trails and turned around after 3/4 mile because the uneven footing aggravated the shoulder.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

We don't really give each other gifts anymore either. Although that said, it seems there are always things under the tree for us, usually me cuz DH doesn't listen to the "we have too much stuff, no presents!" mantra. We do give each other travel though.

Yes, pretty much the same here - we don't really get each other gifts because we really don't need more stuff.  However, there are often little things, like new slippers, or gloves, or tickets to a show.  We still get stuff for the kids, which is more fun, but DD tends to prefer gift cards because 1) she likes to pick out her own stuff and 2) the whole shopping experience with her friends is half the fun.  Since DS and his GF live in their own apartment now they tend to like cooking dodads and art supplies for the GF, although this year we got him a (fairly expensive) pair of Doc Martin boots that will serve as his main gift.   (At our request, they provided a list, so we had options to choose from that we  knew they would like).  This year I got DH a nice terry cloth bathrobe because a few months ago he mentioned that he needed one.  Hope he likes it...

And I do understand practical gifts, but really?  A vacuum cleaner?  For your first Christmas together?

Steve - I hope that shoulder settles down for you.  And Dunkin playing in the snow is so happy!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)