Masters Running

40s and Beyond On the Run - Even When You Think You Can't . . . (Wk of 10/12/08) (Read 606 times)

Joe - Keep up the good work! You are going to do an awesome job on your marathon. Arla - Running inspiration (great looking guy, body, etc.). Wanna share him? Jewels - 85 degrees Dead Nope, no way. I'd die. Slept in this a.m. Everything's starting to feel better. Will either go a for a walk or easy run after work tonight. This quote was at the beginning of a guy's 100-mile race report over on the Ultra thread. It's perfect: "The ultimate goal and the most satisfying reward is not how fast a runner goes but how well a runner manages his or her struggles to find the finish." ~Dave Bursler

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

OK mtnchick....you sent the cool rainy weather to Oklahoma. A nice 4 miler this evening 47F and drizzle. Loved it!
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

OK Cindychick, time to send some cool weather this way.Still 75* for this afternoon's 12m by the ocean. Also a stiff 20mph breeze straight to the face on the return leg.

Top 'O the World!

<>< should be there by the weekend ;) (had to send it standard jetstream post) should="" be="" there="" by="" the="" weekend="" ;)="" (had="" to="" send="" it="" standard="" jetstream=""></ should be there by the weekend ;) (had to send it standard jetstream post)>
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - wow, way to place! Pretty impressive on only your second ultra, all that trailwork is certainly paying off Joe - ALL double-digit runs this week? Yikes! Yeah, sorry about the Eagles thing - when I lived in Philadelphia I really felt for the sports fans there, always second-best it seemed. Even poor Smarty Jones. They have that underdog thing going on. And can I just chuckle about the Giants last night? I mean, the BROWNS? Tongue Cindy - hang in there, sounds like things are looking up, even if it's a slow go. I have a TV-free household but wanted to catch some sports last night, so spent a few hours at our local microbrewery (only a 1.1 mi away, I can bicycle), while there I had a super unhealthy dinner (fish tacos, side order of some really tasty fries) and 3 beers (!) and I still feel less than 100% this evening, not exactly bad, just not right. That alcohol/grease/salt combination doesn't sit well with my ol' bod... Dead Arla

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

Easy 3.1, wore my Nirvanas a notch less stability than than the Adrenalines and I could feel it. One of my truck drivers has a possible knee injury so might be looking for CDL drivers at crunch time. C YA s

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I had a super unhealthy dinner (fish tacos, side order of some really tasty fries) and 3 beers (!) and I still feel less than 100% this evening, not exactly bad, just not right. That alcohol/grease/salt combination doesn't sit well with my ol' bod... Dead Arla
                  Isn't that amazing how the bod starts to reject that stuff, even though at the time it tastes so darn good?? My weakness is McDonald's French fries. Man, I love those! But I always feel like crap after eating them. It's definitely cooling down around here. Overcast and gloomy. Winter is definitely on the way. Joe - I let my CDL trucker's license lapse a few months ago. Wink Ran 3 miles this a.m. and kept up a pretty good clip, but when I climbed the second story at work, my legs were tired. The residual problem that came up after my a.m. run was tightness in the tendon at the back of my left leg where the leg bends. (((sigh))) I may have to force myself to go get a massage this weekend. Darn! Have decided to bag the Desert High 50k in December. Not only does my coach think I'm a candidate for hurting myself with this hip thing, but the idea of running 31 miles in a few weeks holds little appeal to me. Glad I waited to send in my entry fee. From now until the first of the year, it will be relax, renew, re-energize, work on strength training. Sounds like a fine idea to me! MTA - Packman Jones (stupid name) has been suspended for at least 4 games due to a probation violation. Drank (which he isn't suppose to do) and got into a fight with his bodyguard - - who the Cowboys have hired to keep him in line!! WTH?? If someone is that big of a loser, baby, whatever - let 'em hang themselves! Also - Did I ever tell you guys that Derek Anderson (currently with the Browns) is the son of one The Hub's best friends in high school? He still marvels at seeing Derek on the ball field. A little surreal at times.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

I think that's a good call Leslie...for now. & if in a few wks, you're feeling like WonderWoman...reconsider! & it's pretty cool that you have an "auxillary nephew" in the pros!! Cool Arla: small amts of that I can do occaisionally...the salt doesn't seem to bother me much, however - beer, pizza...DO! kick my butt - for like two days of sucky running!!! Roll eyes Jim: like How could you feel it?? better, worse, altogether weird? ref driver? don't look at me, I can't even sanely back up my mc trailer! Roll eyes Jewels: I now know that I don't "die" @ 85*...I melt, badly!! but did my track w/o's in those temps this Summer... Tongue I don't recommend it...however, pool running w/margaritas!?! Big grin Hey!! to everyone else!! Still cooler here today...got up to 59*...can see snow up on the Mtns...two ski resorts "opened" today - each w/an 18" base....basically one run...but hey! I did not make it out for a run at all today...slept in for a change..until Mairead stuck her nose under the blankets & insisted I get up! & deal w/what's been mostly a "PR" day...on the phone & emails ....the little cheerleaders get to be on the field for the Dolphins game on Nov 1st...DS is trying to help coordinate the best seats for us to see her...they're practicing a Spiderman formation.... Cool
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - yikes, yeah, seems to me like you deserve a break, give things time to heal, too. I'm a-skeered of 26.2, much less almost back-to-back 50Ks! BTW, what are your long-term goals? Just curious...faster 50Ks, longer races, just go with what looks fun? Hate to interrupt the football talk but GO PHILLIES! And I'm an LA native. Told ya I had a soft spot for the underdog thang. We had some good snow on the mountains here last week, enough to see it from the valley floor, but I'm sure it's mostly gone by now. And temps creeping back up toward 90 by week's end - this up, down, up stuff is hard to take, I've lost my heat tolerance already. Angry Had an enjoyable 8 miler today, I really love my "medium-long" runs, because they're actually pretty long (not too long ago they were LONG), but they now feel easy and fun, I can kind of play as I run along, maybe pick it up here and there just 'cause...which is what it's really all about! Big grin Arla

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

Cindy , felt it = felt worse with stability shoes albeit not as stiff as the adrenalines. Actually I wore the adrenalines as street shoes on a parts run(not a real run) yesterday and I think even that made it worse. PT tommorow. As per backing the mc trailer I can pretty much guarantee you could back it by the end of harvest if you drove truck all fall. Wink Arla Jewels Carol Joe UM Leslie Big grin what you don't want to join the exciting field of diesel driving....you too could work horrendous hours with little pay in dirty old trucks. Smile Actually I pay my guys pretty well for here and throw as many perks their way as possible, cause I got really good guys and I want to keep them. I like your regroup and refresh plan, basically what I am doing, trying to get healthy and maintain base fitness(trained for and accomplished my goal races not that I did any ultras or trail marathons). Oh and nice finish placing BTW! Joe are you bout 3 wks out on your marathon? I saw your cool air come through and passed it on! Things ugly across the river again today huh, carrys to the CBOT also. Very scary. Ev, I think more google than good memory. Oh my other Okie State connection; your baseball coach, Frank Anderson was my classmate and football teamate in high school. Arla I can relate to grease salt alcohol feeling..... er maybe not the alcohol. Smile Ate a greasy incredibly salty fajita/burgerwith some high cal suace and some junky cheese etc thing at Applebees on our parts run yesterday and I even skipped the fries and alcohol and still felt crummy. Hi to everyone else out there!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Ultrachick

Hi to everyone else....am I one of the everone else? Big grin That's fine-I know I've been MIA. Just busy trying to stay afloat-I'm sinking faster than I can bail. My class is taking a lot of time too. Then there's soccer and football with the boys. I got a little yard work done over the weekend putting the flowers to bed for the winter even though it's been in the 60's all week. It's supposed to start cooling down tomorrow though. I have been running-my longest is 8 miles last Sunday, 6.5 on Monday and 4 today. IT band is getting better, I'm probably pushing it too much because the scale is going up and freaking me out. I've got a good strength plan and I've got a weekly mileage plan I'm trying to build back to so having a plan to focus on is helpful. I'm done racing for this year and will start planning next year's goals soon. Glad to see everyone is doing well. Stay away from greasy food and maybe I'll check out some truck driving schools tomorrow-I've always wanted to try driving a truck, as long as I don't have to parallel park.....and has AC.......could get paid to see all my friends across the country........and enter some really cool races.........hmmmmmm.......home school the kids.........
                          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

jfa

Hi Kids- Kelly- glad to hear you're progressing up the mileage ladder.Your plan seems like a sound one. Jim- Philly Marathon is Nov 23rd,so more like 5 weeks to go.Counting taper,I'm hitting my peak mileage the next couple of weeks.(fingers crossed)Good luck with the new wheels shoes.Biggest truck I ever drove was a 24ft Int'l,but that was through the very narrow streets of the Capitol area of Wash,DC when delivering computer equipment.A real challenge for me. Leslie- Smart move not doing that megarace in Dec.Don't want to push it too far. Cindy-Awesome about your granddaughter.That must be an incredible experience for those kids.Oh yea,no snow please.Don't want it that cold just yet. Nice run Arla.You are right on the money too when you said it's all about the fun! Speaking of football( something that I can do all day long),the Giants had it coming.Don't judge the Brownies by their record,they are actually pretty good.They were hungrier, and they had the better QB on Monday night.Derek Anderson played very well Leslie,that's cool your Hub knows the family.We'll see what the Giants are made of and how they react to a good smackdown. About the Philly fans- I know there are good Philly fans out there,but the bad ones can be Really Bad.I'm talking about Eagle fans specifically,I'm not that passionate about baseball. There's plenty of incidents to cite from but my favorites include the time the poor Redskin Mascot got his leg broken after being hit in the head by a full bottle of beer.Also,there was the time that Cowboy's receiver Micheal Irvin got upended on a play and came down on his head.It looked as though he had broken his neck as he lay lifeless on the field.What did the Eagle fans do?They were on their feet cheering!They are also the only team that I know of that has a jail in the stadium,so they can process the drunkin creeps right there! Ok, time to get off my soapbox and get to work!

Hi Kids, Wow, this is a busy group, and not just with running! Joe, 5 weeks huh? You are going to be so ready. Your training has been really consistent, and you don't seem to be verging on any injuries, so sounds like you're good to go. Pretty cool. Already waiting for the race report Smile Leslie, sounds like a good plan to shift gears, rebalance, and stage for the next goal. You've made some incredible progress, and hopefully this time will help you to keep running as a lifelong pursuit. R2, dang, those Adrenaline's are dangerous for you! Amazing how different we all are. I think I have 4 pairs of them now (yard shoes, knock around shoes, walk in them shoes, and the newest for running). Really wishing I could at least get a diff color! How is Lynda's running? She's made some pretty awesome progress as well. As for the trucking, reminds me of the 1st (and last) camping trip Kerry and I went on. We borrowed my parents pop up, and they insisted that it took a man to back up the camper properly, so Kerry promised to do it. Turns out he had the flu + altitude sickness, so guess who backed the trailer and did all the set-up? Yep, this lil' ol' girl Smile Kelly, how you going to find time for a job with all that going on? Maybe it's time to look for a rich guy instead. Just kidding Wink. Jewels, how's the heel feeling? I'm referring to your foot, not your daughter's ex-boyfriend. Cool front just passed here but was pretty slow moving, so I'm afraid it might not make it to you. We need Cindy to push harder on the next one! Arla, I think it's great that your house is TV free. But it's kind of like vegetarians. I admire them, but can't quite seem to commit. Cindy, how is your hip/leg doing? Thanks for the cool front Smile. Evryday, we're rooting for the Cowboys, but it's been a tough week. Dallas Komen 5K this weekend. I am still running, but not well right now in terms of any kind of speed. I'm going to support mom, and have a bib and chip, so will run as the spirit leads me on Saturday. Supposed to be nice and cool...perfect weather, so maybe I'll feel more frisky on that day. Mom is really geared up and sent me her strategy of 6 or 7 different points. I think she's likely to run it in 26: something. Not bad for 67, eh??! Gotta go clean up from pet sitting and start my accounting job. We met yesterday to go over our items to clean up prior to year end for the company's we handle, and it's kinda scary! Fun to meet my other virtual co-workers though. There are 6 of us working for the firm now, and I had never met two of them. Later kids!
                              Progress Trumps Pefection
                                Home for lunch so a real quickie here..... Great runs for everyone, especially the ones that "feel good"! Hope the aches and pains ease there way out of everyone's daily runs...... I layed low for a couple of days and didn't run. I think my body was telling me to take it easy and just because your feeling good you can't rush it. Had a really nice 5-miler this morning that felt super good. Guess those 2 days off were what I needed. About 75 degrees this morning during my run. The high's this weekend are just going to hit 80 and the lows are suppose to be in the high 60's so.......a little of that cooler weather is reaching us. Gotta finish eating and get back to work............Jewels
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee