Masters Running

40s and Beyond On the Run - Even When You Think You Can't . . . (Wk of 10/12/08) (Read 606 times)

You guys crack me up! Good chuckled over a couple of comments: Carol's "But it's kind of like vegetarians. I admire them, but can't quite seem to commit." Joe's "They are also the only team that I know of that has a jail in the stadium,so they can process the drunkin creeps right there!" (Had no idea. Too funny!) Happy Boss' Day to all those bosses out there! Taking mine to a luncheon my legal professionals association is putting on. Someone (an attorney) is going to be Boss of the Year and someone (one of our members) is going to be Legal Professional of the Year. Only a couple of people know who. Nope, not either of my bosses. John won a few years ago, and I completely forgot to send in a letter for Bill. Bad secretary!! As I said, I'm bagging the 50k in December, but my dad and I need to go down there anyway to pick up a VW bug my uncle is giving him . . . so maybe the 30k . . . I have an email into my coach to see what he thinks. I mean, if I'm going to be down there anyway . . . . Smile And I told my dad previously that he and my uncle could crew for me. Emails between him and my uncle: Dad: Leslie mentioned that we might “…even crew for me part of the time.” What that entails…who knows? Uncle: I don't know what that is either, but hopefully it isn't more that standing beside the road with a water bottle to hand her as she runs by. Big grin Big grin Arla - Just for clarification, this was a regular marathon, only on an old railroad bed that's been turned into a trail. But definitely not dissing the 26.2 miles as opposed to 31.07. It was still a matter of getting to the finish line. My goals for the future? I would really like to try and do a 50-miler in the next year or so. Coach Bill sent me an email with some thoughts for next year: (1) renew, re-energize over the next couple of months; (2) start out with a 10km, then 25k, move up to a 30k, and end the season with another 50k. The idea would be to build up better stamina and work on speed. I have no fantasies about finishing even close to the top, but it would be nice to decrease my time out there a bit. (3) Probably have me going more for miles as opposed to time from now on for my long runs. He took a class two weekends ago to get certified as a running coach, and the topic of time vs. mileage was debated. After this past weekend, I think I'm definitely leaning toward needing the miles under my belt (and this is something I've questioned all along). This is what the trail looked like almost the entire way. Pretty, but mind-numbing after awhile. Just straight with trees on the side:

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey there! Now that I've pushed the cooler air outta here....weather peeps are voting for 77* by Saturday...back "down" to 71* for Sunday.....they keep pushing it up! Confused coupla days ago, was 36*- 65* guess that's not a huge change......hip is feeling about 80%....feel pretty sure I can make it...not setting any land speed records or anything ...I have 6 hrs to beat the Grim Sweepers! Wink & if for some reason I don't, they'll default me to the HM group...which has a very generous 4 hrs! I could admire vegetarians...if I weren't sucha carnivore! Big grin We had a coupla folks from Philly @ the TRR....I got such a kick outta 'em boys!! kept calling the one "Tony" I could be wrong, but I think I've spent waaaay to much time listening to & reading about political "debates!!"....then I tried ro read the stupid "blue book" that came w/the mail in ballot!! my brain is mush... Dead...when is the next baseball game?....Will be watching SNL this eve Big grin it was a hoot w/the last one!....oh yeah! I think Joe is on the right track w/training - as his taper then race comes AFTER said election!!! 3.63 reeeeal slow-n-easy Mairead miles @ 64* & slightly breezy...snow capped mtns in the distance on a cerulean blue sky day....
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

...snow capped mtns in the distance on a cerulean blue sky day....
        Not sure what that means Cindy, but it sure sounds pretty

Top 'O the World!

'Tis! Wink (kinda like thisSmile
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Beautiful picture, Cindy! So, I have to share with you guys - we got back just a little while ago from our Boss of the Year/Legal Profession of the Year Luncheon (about 40 or so present - attorneys and secretaries), and I was awarded Leg Prof of the Year. Our association’s president and VP each nominated me (a blind committee picked the winners), and our Prez’s letter won. Our VP read it, trying to keep the nominee’s name out, but when she read the years of presidency of the association, I realized it was me and almost immediately started tearing up and getting shaky. The letter was absolutely awesome. By the time I got to the podium to accept the award and say my thanks, my nose was running like crazy and I had nothing to blow it with! Undecided Anyway - I am very honored to have received this award. Although I am not one who needs it, it’s definitely nice to be recognized for the hard work I’ve put in over the years. I couldn’t have done it alone, and have had wonderful support of a core group of women in that association and my bosses. As an aside - Our president also nominated her boss for Boss of the Year, and he won, as well. She did a great job!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

{{{{{{{{{{{ Congratulations Leslie!!! |}}}}}}}}}}}} good for you! Smile Cool

jfa

Way to Go Leslie!! Nice to see hard work getting rewarded!! You earned it!!! Great picture Cindy!! Now I see what cerulean means!!!

flatland mountaineer

Yes congrats Leslie!! Smile Joe at elevation on a bluebird day the sky gets so blue its black. Cool

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Ultrachick

Congratualtions! Leslie! WooHoo! Beautiful picture Cindy. I've been meaning to post some pictures of my neighborhood-the leaves are looking fabulous! But it's windy out and it rained this morning so the leaves will be falling fast now! Well, I had a blah of a day today. First, a personal training client blows me off this morning without so much of a phone call to apologize. My IT band started bothering me 3 miles into an out-and-back 6 mile run. No negative splits there! I started with a new persnal training client this afternoon-yeah!-but he forgot his checkbook. I'll see him again tomorrow. I haven't been sleeping well this week-wake up because I'm cold so I get another blanket-wake up later because I'm drenched in sweat-gross! I wake up automatically at 5am even when I don't need to be up that early. I can't win. Speaking of sleep-I'm beat. Good night!
                    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                      I haven't been sleeping well this week-wake up because I'm cold so I get another blanket-wake up later because I'm drenched in sweat-gross! I wake up automatically at 5am even when I don't need to be up that early. I can't win.
                      Ah! The wonderfulness of premenopausal crap. I have to change my pillow case every couple of nights 'cause I wake up drenched. It sucks! The waking up early - were you getting up that early to do your training runs? The bod is used to it. Mine's an almost automatic 4:30 a.m. Even on Sunday! But I can usually grab a cat and hunker back down for a few zzzz's, even if they're fitful. The client who blew you off without calling - you need to charge extra for that crap. Missed appointments without so much as a phone call? That'll be an extra $30, please, and I'm still charging you as if we had completed the appointment. All payable by your next appointment - in cash. Yes If they know they're gonna get penalized for being inconsiderate, they might start to think twice about it - or you'll be making extra money!! Nite, All!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Nice pic of the rails to trails Leslie.....congrats on the award you received. That's awesome......makes ya feel pretty darn good doesn't it? Kelly.....I hear ya on the sweats thing. I'm constantly saying to everyone at home, "is it hot in here or is it just me"? It's the same ole answer, "nope, it's just you". Since my daughter knew I was just going to do a slow 3 this morning, she opted to come with me. She hasn't ran in about 6 weeks because of her knee problem (which the doc told her it is the IT band). We had a great conversation going for the first 2 miles and then she was in too much pain. I went ahead and finished another mile and when I got home she was sitting on the couch with an ice bag on the outer knee. The pain is 90% on the outside of the knee cap but she says she sometimes feels a slight shooting pain down the outside of the thigh. Hmmmm......6 weeks of no running and the pain comes back almost immediately. Doesn't make any sense. Anyway....... Arla.....it's Biketoberfest around here. Lots and lots of bikes heading to Daytona! Come on down for a ride! My daughter and her NEW boyfriend are riding over there. I warned her that she may see some things that she's NEVER seen before so.......be prepared. Hi to all the men folk......hope your runs are pleasant ones! Love the picture Cindy.......Colorado is absolutely beautiful. I would love to go on a vacation there someday. Speaking of vacations......Me, my 2 sisters and my mom are taking a 4 day girls getaway in about 3 weeks. Can't wait......going over to the West Coast of Florida.......Siesta Key. Absolutely breathtaking beaches. TGIG......Jewels
                        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Oh Kelly! I love your neighborhood for Fall colors! Smile I had trouble w/intermittent insomnia before I started running regularly..not night sweats - I get cold!....completely settled down as I got pretty consistently over 25mpw....NOW! past couple of wks...here it is again! Roll eyes finally going into a good sleep sometime after 3am...alarm goes off (Doug still has to open the shop) @ 5am - ish...so, my muggy brain is trying to decide - should I go back to bed & get whatever sleep when I can (no clients next few days) or try to keep my "schedule" as I will need to be up by 4am Sunday? & is it really fair that I have this option when Doug still has to work? Evil grin (he's still gonna kick my butt on Sunday!) weather people are continuing to bump up the Sunday forecast temp! NOW, they're saying range is 38* - 74*...keeps going up a bit! Sad
                          The pain is 90% on the outside of the knee cap but she says she sometimes feels a slight shooting pain down the outside of the thigh. Hmmmm......6 weeks of no running and the pain comes back almost immediately. Doesn't make any sense.
                          actually, it does make sense..tendons & ligaments are a different fiber composition than muscles...they'll stay tight if you're not working to loosen them up..& the IT band is one of the toughest ones in our body (being bipeds, it's important that that be strong & stable) when it's overly tight (ITBS) it can pull the knee cap laterally - & cause pain under the kneecap..& it lies over the lateral quadriceps muscles - comressing & causing pain in those....is she doing any PT to loosen up the tendon? & how much warm up does she do?

jfa

weather people are continuing to bump up the Sunday forecast temp! NOW, they're saying range is 38* - 74*...keeps going up a bit! Sad
                            Morning folks- Cindy, is your marathon on Sunday? Are you going ? If so, take it easy and Best of Luck to ya!!!!

Top 'O the World!

Uh-huh, Joe....just gonna try to stay ahead of the "Grim Sweepers!" Wink
                                Cindy, I've looked into the PT thing. Her insurance won't cover a penny of it. Friggin' insurance! I might have to break down and just pay for it for her. It's important to her......she's a gym rat, nutrition freak, health nut sorta person so this has been a real downer for her. Walking/biking she has NO pain. When she's at the gym she walks on the treadmill and then tries to run and OUCH so....I don't think it is the warming up thing. Like I mentioned way, way back......she was a competitive gymnast for 8 years (and a damn talented one at that) and did track/XC in high school and she hits the gym 4 to 5 days a week so she's very fit. This just started up a few months ago AFTER she got out of high school away from sports. WTH! I wish I knew a PT that could do some "side work" for a good deal. OK, off my soapbox......... Cindy......yep, just a have a good time out there this weekend. Take it super slow and enjoy the scenery. There are plenty of races ahead of you. Jewels
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee