Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 12.12.17 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3.2 chilly, windless morning miles + 2.1 post-work TM miles)
    C-R (4 chilly miles, including 3 at pace)
    Holly (2 TM miles + 45 min of weights & core)
    Jlynne (5.2 slippery, snowy, face-pelting morning miles)
    Tramps (4.5 morning miles)
    Henrun (3 miles on plowed & dry sidewalks & paths)
    Twocat (1 morning hour on the elliptical)
    Deeze (30 min spin + 1 TM mile + 30 min barre/strength class)
    Tomwhite (butt-kicking PT session)
    Metalmancpa (6.3 miles at 8:42 pace with niggly hammy)
    Bioguy (3 tempo miles + 1 mile each of w/u & c/d)
    Evanflein (6.1 miles on slick snow with slippage in mid-30s temps)
    Mike (10 nighttime miles in 20 mph wind with gusts)

Surly Bill (4 evening miles at 7:59 pace)

Falconfixer (7.5 pre-dawn miles in temps in the low 30s, at sub-8:30 pace + plus subbing at a Y spin class)

Wildchild (2.5 mile walk with DH)

I’ve been in mileage ‘challenges’ before, but never a team competition. I’m OK with having it be more casual.

Sorry you have to lock your door, Holly, but I understand that it may be the best of the options available to you. It looks like you need a ‘Hide A Key’ somewhere.

Good luck in Beijing, Twocat! Just hold your breath while you’re there…

Metalmancpa, I did some major damage to my hamstring last year because I didn’t pay attention to the signals my body was sending me. I’ve been a lot more careful this year, and have avoided anything other than minor, very short-term nuisance injuries. Pro athletes don’t often have the luxury of backing off to prevent an injury - we do but, speaking from personal experience, I’m not always that smart.

Knuckles went white at times, Fatozzig, but no butt pucker.

Surly Bill, do those glow-in-the-dark running shoes scare off critters?

I'm meeting, at his request with the police chief of one of the towns our half marathon goes through. Should I be worried?

I went 6.2 RW miles a J o'clock in 28° temps and light snowfall that left a coating on most roads by the time I got home. What causes the strobe light effect when snow falls in front of a headlamp? It's more like a dotted line than a falling flake. And why, regardless of my direction, does snow always seem to be coming toward me? (I think I need some coffee...)

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning.  Stayed inside today since I didn't sleep well and it was cold and really windy outside.  The treadmill is torture enough.  I've made up a little drinking game (although I don't actually have a drink on the treadmill) for the morning news/weather, since it is SO monotonous and the same things seem to be said every day.  (i.e. "overnight shooting", "temps", "Clarksville", "drive time")

3.3 miles done.

1.8 more miles on the treadmill after a law firm CLE and gift wrapping event. (They wrap your Christmas presents while you attend the 1 hour legal education seminar-  a great deal)  Oh- wine and snacks, too.

5.1 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning early risers. Yes Jay - why is it that the snow always seems to be coming towards you?  Good luck with your meeting with the police chief. I'm sure it's nothing important  Treadmills are a necessary evil, RunnerKSA. Wish I had one at my house...

Speaking of treadmills, it was 18° with a 15-20 mph wind out of the NW this morning. Freeze my fanny, or fight for a treadmill at the Y? I decided I was ready for a good fight and went to the Y. Was lucky to snag the last treadmill, which now has a 30 minute time restriction   I did a little over 3 miles, got off and went on the elliptical until someone got off a treadmill and did another couple of miles. It's not even January yet where I fight the battle with the new years resolution folks...

Sorry about the lock Holly, but you're a great mom.  Every child is different, and the way we parent them has to change to accommodate that. My two sons are as different as night and day.

Subbing a few days at the middle school this week. I hope there's no meat loaf on the menu while I'm working!

Henrun

2 cloudy miles before the rain-no deep freeze here yet😊

Both Marj and I are stressed out-good stuff and the season. We need the daily short miles. Going to Brooklyn on Thursday for 4 days of one of our Hanukkah celebrations. We’re taking the train and subways-stressful enough with the news lately.

Also, our running club is in the process of finding a new treasurer. As nominating chairman I’m going back and forth with emails.

Have a good day all.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Jlynne,

Having my own treadmill was a worthwhile investment. We got it when DD was pregnant with our first, so I could train and be immediately reachable if need be. I use it to dodge the heat more than the cold, but that's living in the South for you.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

I love my TM!  Of course, I would rather run outside, but I love having the option.  Ours is in the garage in a side nook, with a fan and a flat-screen TV and a DVD player on a shelf right in front of it.  In the winter I catch up on my DVRed shows during the week, when there is not enough time to get layered up for an outside run before work.  Also in the winter I sometimes split my LRs between outdoor miles and then a few more on the TM when I get too cold.

Snow and sleet and 40mph wind gusts today, so I am happy to be indoors...wish I could wear my fuzzy pants to work...

4.4 miles for me on the TM today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Quickadder

5.5 early morning easy miles with DD. Lots of running talk from my HM Saturday in Lake Charles and her double of HMs in Lafayette on Saturday and Biloxi, MS on Sunday - maybe I'm not the crazy one, after all.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

...well,

windy with 20-mph gusts

20s with WindChill

and

spitting Snow>>>>>>>>>JustTheWayWeLikeIt

=============

50-min HH with 2-lb weights

meeting an Old Running Buddy for Beer and Nachos

does it get

any better??

I think Not

.......................Good Running to Ya..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Kids - My mom used to tell my brother, "I hope you end up with a son just like you," and she didn't mean that as a compliment.  He wasn't a bad kid, but got into a lot of crap and made stupid decisions.  She got her wish, to a certain extent.   My nephew, until about his late 20's - eye caramba!  Hang in there, Holly.  When it get's real hard, chant this over and over:

Image result for memes jail it's just not worth it

I have to tell myself this constantly when I want to choke the life out of the associate attorney I'm working with.  

I'll get in a core/ST workout this evening after work.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

metalmancpa

I love my TM!  Of course, I would rather run outside, but I love having the option.  Ours is in the garage in a side nook, with a fan and a flat-screen TV and a DVD player on a shelf right in front of it.  In the winter I catch up on my DVRed shows during the week, when there is not enough time to get layered up for an outside run before work.  Also in the winter I sometimes split my LRs between outdoor miles and then a few more on the TM when I get too cold.

Snow and sleet and 40mph wind gusts today, so I am happy to be indoors...wish I could wear my fuzzy pants to work...

4.4 miles for me on the TM today.

Somebody has to love a TM or they wouldn't sell any 

I was reading your story about your DD yesterday. The story with my DD is different, but there are 3 years that can never be taken away and were the darkest years of my parental life. She was not difficult and argumentative, but there was something hidden in her that came out. She's 32 now, a nurse and Captain in the Army. One day (when she was 15) my wife coerced her to go food shopping with me (for a reason she didn't really know). Halfway through I saw her looking at a cereal box and something told me to drop the cart, get her and leave (for a reason I didn't really know). Got outside, she puked. Got in the car, and on the way home she said "Dad I have something to tell you - I took 60 Tylenol". In short I got her to ER with minutes to spare not knowing that can kill you very fast. The next 3 years she battled depression. She attempted two more times. She was cutting. She was in and out of hospitals, lock-downs, halfway houses.

Wherever she was, after work my wife & I would visit her, never missing a day for that 3 years. It was draining on our funds (ate out a lot, other costs), brutal on our time, one place was an hour+ drive from home and she was there for months, so work and then the evenings spent driving/visiting. My son, 2 years older, was sort of left alone. We felt terrible but had no choice, and today he fully understands what happened (although doesn't take away his hurt).

Point is, like your own trials and tribulations as a parent, there are some who have more normal parent/child relationships with the usual rifts, and those who have had it draining and aging us more so than it should. I hope you are able to wind your way down your personal parental road and keep strong.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, I'm afraid another quick post.  Ran 8+ at lunch.  Thought I'd do 5 x 1200...but body told me to stop after 3.  So I did.  Stayed on the track and ran laps in lane 3, doing accelerations on the straights and recovering on the curves.  Overall pace was 7:39/mile so no complaints.  After work taught spin at the Y (my class).  Most of the riders were there last night so had to dig out an old profile. Made it an interval class.

Wind is picking up and temps are dropping so what many of y'all have experienced will be with us.  Will see how trying to run before work goes.

Have a great night everyone!

Nothing for me today, no thank you.

Finished up a fancy redwood fence and gated entrance in Berkeley today, which resulted in triggering severe allergic response, despite the dust mask. I'm currently sneezing and snorting out pints of snot and phlegm. I dare not rub my eyes or I will not be able to stop until I reach the occipital lobe. Sort of worth it, several people stopping and taking pictures and oohing and ahhing as if it were a new Frank Gehry masterpiece instead of just a bit of old-world craftsmanship.

I used my 45 minutes of daylight after fetching the kids to finish our Tio de Nadal logs for the holidays. I look forward to whipping mine with a lot of force, so I'll get more goodies. Also, it's first night of Hanukkah, so we're going to light a candle and say the blessings, and I'll toss some gelt at the kids. The holidays are great, especially if you partake in several! All at once!

And since this is a "day off", I'll bust into the Abbey style ale, probably Brother Thelonious from North Coast Brewery.

Jay; I can say that my glow in the dark shoes absolutely scare away tigers and Barbary macaques with 100% effectiveness, as I have never seen either when wearing these shoes.

Metalman; stick in there, use the down time to your advantage.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

spacityrunner

Trails Rock!

evanflein

Oh my goodness, that's an awful long time to be out there. Hope she packed a lunch.

Metalmancpa that's a helluva story about your DD. Glad to hear she's doing well. My BFF from grade school and middle school lost her second son to depression. When my oldest started exhibiting symptoms in high school I was really scared, but we tried to rally around him and do the best we could, including counseling and lots of sports and other activities. Seems to have worked. He's married now to a wonderful woman and while I still wish he had more work ambition, he's doing well. So, they can come out of it on the "other side" in good shape.

5.7 miles today in the waning daylight, including 3 x .3 mile of hill repeats. I'm determined to get out of this winter in better hill shape than most winters! But then again, I've developed a dark chocolate M&M and roasted almond habit that is undoing my running for weight control. Damn.

I think I'll pull the trigger on the Flying Pig Marathon this weekend.

Is Mariposai back from Paraguay yet??

Marathon Maniac #957

Metalman - how awful for your DD and for all of you around her as she struggled with that.  It is wonderful that she came out of it and is dong well now.  I think it is toughest of all on families dealing with a teen struggling with depression - very scary.  Our best friend's 17yo son is struggling with drugs and alcohol and tried to hang himself several months ago.  I do know with DD there are other families who are struggling with more serious issues than we are, and I hope it does not get more serious than sass and behavior problems.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."