Masters Running

Monday, Dec. 28 Daily Runs and Rests (Read 536 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Ah, what a jokester PBJster is!  Big grin   

He wasn't joking...

Aamos security at the airport is not as bad as I feared.  In Sydney they did a full carry on luggage search of every single item and then a full body pat down as well for all US bound flights.  I was worried this would be the case for all domestic flights in the US as well.  When I got to LAX security there was about normal.  (Yes, folks when you switch flights in the US you get to go through security all over again!  What joy!)  It is true that the TSA seems somewhat more vigilant.  Also, I saw two TSA agents at the gate ready to do pat down searches if they suspected anything, but we got through without getting pulled out for one.

I am so fuzzy headed right now from jet lag you would not believe it!  Here is my final Sydney picture.  It is one from the beach near the hotel we stayed at the night before our departure.  The boardwalk runs for miles and that is what DW ran along.  Now to get used to freezing cold weather again!  Good day all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Thanks for all the great pictures from your trip Twocat. It's been interesting to follow along and I am glad all went well on your flights.

Ran 4.2 easy/recovery miles this morning in light snow---trees were all frosty and beautiful. 

The plan for Saturday is still on Holly. Should be fun! or something....

I am worried about events closer to home----rash of arson fires right here in Northampton

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/12/northampton_officials_investig.html

Hope the disturbed person(s) who is doing this is caught soon. A father and son died in one of the fires (81 year-old Dad taking care of his 39 year-old disabled son)

TammyinGP

Mary, I have 21.6 miles to do in four days to hit 1000 . . . I'll try and go for it, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. It's just a number after all, but I'd like my number to be 1000 . I brought my running stuff with me to work today and if it stays dry, I'll head out for a 4 mile run. Starting tomorrow we are expected to get rain for the next week, so the rest of the miles may or may not happen. . .

like Holly, I'm back to work today after 4 days off, but unlike Holly, I'm glad to be back. DH and I only do well together for so many days before we both start getting on each others nerves. About 3-4 days is our max. We need the daytime break from each other.

hoping Tim will pop in with some good news today!

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

mary/tammy/etal -

Actually, as a result of five more marathons during a last-minute trip to Japan this month,

I have 131 extra miles over the year's planned 500 miles to give away. 

They're all full of fun though though pretty slow.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dg.

mary/tammy/etal -

Actually, as a result of five more marathons during a last-minute trip to Japan this month,

I have 131 extra miles over the year's planned 500 miles to give away. 

They're all full of fun though though pretty slow.

hiya tet old pal old buddy.  

I got a Slow Cooker for Christmas.  Now I gotta go find that Slow Cooker thread that Holly started (I think she started it).

I also got myself a Sansa Clip+ MP3 player.  I loaded 1300+ songs onto it.  Very nice and Very small.  Can't even tell it's clipped on to the shirt/shorts.  The only weird thing about it is that it has only "Normal" and "High" volume.  No slider scale or anything.  (Why not?  It would just involve changing the software a bit.).  I use it at "High" volume - which isn't all that high.  I like it.

3 slow recovery miles at 10:06 pace or so.  Avg HR 122.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I Can Go The Distance

Bill,

Thanks for the info on the mp3 player. The clip+ is the one I was going to get. Anythnig else you can tell me about it? How many gig is yours? If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost and where did you buy it from. I looked on Amazon and Best Buy their prices seemed about the same.

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

dg.

I think we have loop of out-of-the-loopers.  would that be a subset?  ...    (couldn't we say we're all loopy?? ;-) )

Hi everybody.  I hope you all had a wonderful weekend, however you spent it.  

PDR I was glad to hear your dad was doing better and even got to enjoy opening his gifts.  Were you able to relax a little?      Baby Nate is absolutely adorable.  Great pictures of both of you!  

Glad Lou got good new from the doctor.

Jlynne, do you have any new (bigger) pictures of Will?

Twocat, welcome home, & thanks for the wonderful pictures!

Tim, I hope this job works out for you!

Hey Mary, I was doing the same thing... but furniture. 

glad you posted, Slo_hand, I was wondering about you.   that is great news!!

Wow Karin, Leslie, Holly. .  I know there were other wows but this is all that comes to mind right now.  

My year won't be quite what I'd hoped either, though I really didn't have a goal.   I'm not really unhappy with it, it's a lot better than last year I think (haven't looked),   But last week kind of feel apart.      It was a cut-back week, but much more cut-back than I had in mind... Friday's run didn't happen, & my 10 miler on Sat. turned into 6.7 because of really slippery conditions... people were 'almost wiping out' all over theplace.  Probably would  have been funny to watch. Smile.

I'm really tired & not sure why.  Even after that easy week (17 miles) I got a '3' on my Polar fitness test this morning, which they say means I've probably been training hard & need to rest.   It's the first time I've ever gotten that result.   Don't know quite what is going on.  I've been pushing a little HR wise for a while, did more intervals & striders for the last few weeks.  But I still don't think it's enough to explain it.   The plan is  to get more rest... I'm way behind on sleep, (but who isn't??)   I will try to pay more attention to the hr thing on easy days & see if that helps. 

So, this morning maybe should have been a gym day but I did have a pretty good workout at home.  About 50 min. of Verstegen's prehab, Fitzgerald's core work & some pt stuff.   Did all planks on all 4 sides. :-).

I Can Go The Distance

dg: I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV, but my guess would be the lack of sleep. Whenever I don't get enough sleep the first thing I notice is the higher HR when I wake up in the morning, even when I have run easy the day before. It could also be from holiday stress to of course.

Hope this helps

Bruce

Bill,

Thanks for the info on the mp3 player. The clip+ is the one I was going to get. Anythnig else you can tell me about it? How many gig is yours? If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost and where did you buy it from. I looked on Amazon and Best Buy their prices seemed about the same.

Bruce

Bruce,

My Clip+ is the black 8GB version.  Got it through Amazon for $48 or so.  I've been using Sansa MP3 players for years.  (I won't have a subscription-based MP3 player.)  I really like having the device look like a hard drive to the PC that you can just drag and drop music onto.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Jlynne, do you have any new (bigger) pictures of Will?

I'm old and electronically challenged. I haven't downloaded the pictures we took over the holidays, but with Mary's help, I'll forward on a couple that my DIL took right before Christmas. Sorry to all of you who are tired of looking at baby pictures - I'm trying to cut back....

dg.

Bruce, that does help.   thanks!    still waiting for your avatar.........!

Jlynne, yeah, you can tell.   We're really sick of them. 

That's funny you don't have sliding volume Bill!   (picturing you in a chef's hat...)  I have one too, will have to look at home & see which version. 

I'm not very good at using it.. last time on the TM I couldn't read the screen & it was pretty funny.

Holly, (I think we have the same one...) I meant to ask if you can make a playlist & just let it go for your whole run.  Does that work?

Karin, that is so sad.   I hope they catch whoever is doing this soon.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm really tired & not sure why. 

it's a lot better than last year I think (haven't looked), 

deegeebi -

It's pretty easy to have a year-end let-down,

especially at the end of a momentous marathon debut year,

and if 2010's goal events are still to be targeted.

Maybe join me in a well-deserved rest-of-the-year taper

and start anew on January 1, . . . or later.

- high fivin' your great year.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I Can Go The Distance

dg: like jlynne I am "old and electronically challenged," so you may have to wait awile longer for that avatar. I don't have any running pictures to use, so I will have to find something else to use for an avatar.

Bill: thanks for the further info. I think I will go with Amazon.

Bruce