Masters Running

Wednesdaily 11/27 (Read 40 times)

Bioguy- that was a nice surprise birthday celebration!  Happy Birthday!  I think Topo is making the best zero drop wide toebox shoes right now.  That shoe store sounds wonderful!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dnaff

BTY - thank you for the swimming tips.  I tried to teach myself some new tricks with a Total Immersion swim DVD several years ago.  Every time it said 'lengthen your vessel' I would crack up.  But my hubby the engineer said, exactly, that's exactly what you need to do.

I also give 2 thumbs to the Topo shoes.  I am ready to start year 3 with that brand and still love them.

Crazy wind here.  My Christmas wreaths blew off the front windows.  Anne - I am sure they are in Chicago by now if you want to look around for me.

The dog and I have been out twice.  This 2nd time we were treated to watching the porta potty blow over at the park.  Think we're inside  for the remainder of the day.  I have a couple of tomorrow's side dishes done as well as the pie.  There's a crockpot of home made beef vegetable soup simmering for supper so I think it is time for a little 'me' time.

I've got yoga to do and am finishing up a book called "Never Have I Ever".  Slow start but is getting good now so  I imagine I'll finish it tonight.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all!

Bio, Happy Birthday!  What a great surprise!

Joe, yeah....I've heard all of those at some time or another.

Tammy, glad your DS is ok.

Drive home went pretty well until about 40 miles or so from the house.  The second wave of storms were passing through.  Always fun.  Got out (after walking the pups) for 8.3 miles in the 'hood.  Sunny but there was some wind.  I also did another round of running drills.  This time 8 x 20 seconds of "hot coal" (short ground contact time) followed by 20 "skips" (skipping, but it's a good plyometric exercise.  Trying to find out if the annual Thanksgiving morning group run (anywhere from 40 to 60 runners).  It's on the local 15k course and starts at like 6 AM.  Not an organized race, just fun.

Have a greta day everyone!

Marathon Maniac #957

Nothing creepy about that.....

Image may contain: cat and text

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy 60th, Bioguy!  What a nice surprise with your family!  I had a couple pairs of Topos a few years ago, but they felt kind of stiff and cardboard-like.  I run in Altras now, but maybe I should give Topos another try?

I had a wonderful trail run in deep snow with 3 friends this morning - it was only about 10 degrees, but sunny, and we warmed up pretty quickly.  It was slow going - we only managed just under 4 miles in almost two hours!  We were all wearing spikes.  Here's a picture.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Brrr....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nothing creepy about that.....

But they're so cute!! 

Can you actually run in that stuff, Wildchild?  I'd be more like floundering. 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hey, it’s me checking in before Thanksgiving.  Hope all is well here.  It’s been a long time but I still check in from time to time.

Top 30 funny Tuesday Memes

This happened to MrStarr a month ago.  A DWI, his first, and he was guilty.  I was out of town and he didn't even call me.  I found out anyway from a friend.  He spent that Friday night in jail.  I was hoping he'd be there all weekend, actually.

I’ve been his chauffeur since then. He lost his job driving the city bus.  The judge just gave him 30 days in jail (stayed), a $500 fine, some restrictions and attend a MADD panel. It’s about $700 to get his license reinstated.  I am hopeful that this was rock bottom for him but I’m not so sure. We certainly have a lot to work on in our marriage.  He did go come with me to see my counselor last week.  We both have issues to deal with, I need to be way more assertive and not let him talk to me the way he does.  I tend to avoid confrontation, so I really need to work on that.

I’ve been walking/running when I can but don't have a lot of motivation.  About a year ago I bought a Kinetic Smart Bike Trainer. Well, I finally got it set up a few weeks ago.  There are many different apps you can use with it.  I will try them one at a time (not sure if any of them are free).  The Kinetic one is free for 30 days.  Rochrunner, do you have the Smart machine? Anyone else?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone from snowy Minnesota,

Starr

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Starr}}} - hey, I am good with confrontation - do you want me to come up there and slap him around?  You are one of the sweetest, kindest people I have met, and I would be happy to be your champion....

I’m so sorry, Starr.  They say the loss of a job is frequently rock bottom for a male and the loss of a relationship is it for a female.  I hope it is for your husband.  Thinking of you.

Joe618

I’m so sorry, Starr.  They say the loss of a job is frequently rock bottom for a male and the loss of a relationship is it for a female.  I hope it is for your husband.  Thinking of you.

KSA said it well.   I'm so sorry, Starr.    Hoping this is indeed a turn for the better. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

I'm sorry to hear all this, Starr. You have really had to deal with a lot over the years, and that's just what you're able to share with us here. This has to be quite a setback for you, so don't hesitate to reach out to us even though we're not right there to help.

As for the trainer, I have a Kinetic, but it's not a "smart" trainer. I just get on and ride my own "program", usually having a general goal on how long or far I'm going to go, maybe do some intervals, have a target HR to achieve, etc. There's a Kinetic smartphone app to monitor things like power, but I didn't find it that useful.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

{{{Starr}}} - . .  do you want me to come up there and slap him around?  You are one of the sweetest, kindest people I have met, and I would be happy to be your champion....

Starr - me too!!!!! . . . . . . . . .
                            . . . whoops, . . Uhmm, . . . . .
                            how tall is you DH?

Hey! Stop sending that wind over here to the PNW too.
                            Crossing the 1.75 miles length of the floating bridge over the lunch hour was the first time in 32 years since 1987 on the descent from Hawi that I’ve ridden any distance with a sustained tilt into the wind

Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor, water and nature

I mentioned finding a webpage that provides a pace calculator for swimmers that is similar but not exactly the same as the McMillan Pace Calculator, which was my all-time fave when running and training others for race prep. 

BTY - My MapMyFitness app not only has settings for run, walk, trail run, stairs, road cycling, power walk, treadmill run, etc. but also for lap swim, etc.  I guess for the lap swim you put the smart phone in one of the waterproof jackets I used for running in the rain.

Wildchild - nice, very nice.

jealous, very jealous.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

{{{Starr!!!}}} On one hand I'm real sorry to hear you guys are going through this.  On the other hand, I'm praying this is your hub's bottom.  I'm very happy to hear you're seeing a counselor and hope your hub keeps going with you.  But even if he doesn't you keep going for you.  I tell ya, it saved my sanity when my hub was in the throws of his alcoholism.  It's truly a family disease.  It freaking sucks.  We're all here for you.  Even if it's just to stop in and let some steam off.  We will always support you.

The office closed at 3:00. I got in 45 min of ellipticalling and about 30 min of core/ST.  I'm looking forward to having tomorrow off and discussed some plans for Friday with The Hub.  I'd like to get up early, start going north, hit a couple of secluded beaches to see what the storm washed up, then hike a trail we've been wanting to hike to see some waterfalls.  So far he's not saying no. He said he told everyone in AA today that he'd do what I wanted these next two days. That's the PERFECT attitude! 

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Wow, Carolyn, that’s some snow!

Tet- those are some whitecaps!