Masters Running

Baby Leo is here! (Read 309 times)

I didn't want to post this in the running thread because it's not about, well running. But you've all been so kind and supportive to me and my family through this whole pregnancy that I wanted to give you an update.

Will (William George, after DIL's father) arrived at 7:00 PM last night. It was a long day for my DIL. She's doing pretty well. Unfortunately, Will has some issues. His skin was pink when he was born, but quickly started turning blue due to low oxygen levels in his blood. The NICU team was in her delivery room, and after dad cut the umbilical cord and they held Will for a few minutes, the team took him down to the 3rd floor NICU to monitor him and watch for signs of stress. There was so much going on, I'm not sure I have the information 100% accurate. I think I mentioned that the baby's pulmonary artery and aorta are switched, and that's what's causing the oxygen problems.

The doctors were hoping that they could just let him recover from the birth process and that he'd be able to breath ok on his own until they did the open heart surgery next week, but after giving him a drug to help clear his lungs and help the arteries work, he stopped breathing altogether. They had to intubate (spell?) him and the doctor told us that they'd need to do a procedure to help Will keep his oxygen at a safe level. So at 12:15 this morning, they put a cathater in his leg going up to the main arteries to insert a balloon and create enough room to help Will breath. The doctor came out about an hour later and told us everything had gone well and the baby's oxygen levels were back up to 80-90% which was a good sign.

FINALLY, they let the grandparents go in to seem him, two at a time, my DS, his dad and I, then DIL with her mom and dad. They still had the breathing tube down his throat and he had all kinds of wires and tubes hooked up going this way and that. He looked so tiny - but he was also pink!

He's a beautiful little boy - 7 pounds even, 16 1/2 inches long with dark hair. I wish I could tell you I took lots of pictures, but due to the situation, we couldn't take the camera in to the NICU. I've asked my DS and DIL to take some pictures and send them to us as soon as they can. The open heart surgery will probably be next week, depending on how Will recovers from all of this.

We also found out yesterday that my DH's younger sister committed suicide over the weekend. It's been a stressful few days. We need to celebrate those entering the world and those leaving it, too.

Thanks for all of your support and prayers, you guys.

Slo

Jlynne

Thanks for the update. A prayer has been offered up for Baby Leo, for the comfort of his Parents and Grandparents and also for your DH's sister.

Stay strong !  I have a feeling your support is going to be greatly needed.

God Bless you and your family !

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats, grandma!  Hugs all around for you, your DH and his family, your DS and DIL, and Baby Leo/Will.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

It sounds as though little Will is in very good hands.  I can only imagine the stress of all this and seeing that tiny little baby all hooked up like that.   Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us all what is going on.   I was thinking about baby Leo all day yesterday.

I am so sorry about DH's sister too.  Hugs you your whole family!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

My goodness what a time you have all had!

My heart hurts for the loss JLynne and I hope the birth of Will can help healing. Hugs to your DH too.

WILLIAM GEORGE??????!!!!! That's my kiddo's name!

I hope the tubes come out soon and sweet Will can gain strength soon.

Thanks for letting us know. I have been thinking of you and the new parents every day. 

Hang in there JLynne---peace to all of you.

Karin

Top 'O the World!

Wow!   What an emotional chaos! Hugs, Prayers & Congratulations where appropriate!
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

#artbydmcbride

Congratulations!!!

Runners run

It is difficult to know what to say.  I am very happy to hear the baby is doing well.  At the same time what a rough way to start life, and I hope this is the end of his trials.  It was also sad to read about your SIL's suicide.  Very sad.  My best through the future that will hopefully be only filled with good news.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Thank you for the update, JLynne.  We were all holding our breath, waiting for the news.

We will continue to send healing thoughts and gentle hugs to little Will as he proceeds on this difficult path.  And hugs to all of you too.  It's a scary, emotional time for all of you.

Also - I'm very sorry about the loss of your DH's sister.  How tragic.

(I'm not sure how successful we'll be in the transition from Leo to Will.  You've got us all trained!)

Send us more updates when you get the chance.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

JLynne - Thank you for taking the time to let us know how little Leo/Will is doing.  Many well wishes, positive thoughts, and prayers to you and your family as you go through quite an emotional time.  With the passing of one life, how appropriate for a new one to arrive in the world, surrounded by so much love.

(And I agree - I think the name Leo is gonna stick around for awhile. )

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh Jlynne - what a tough time you and your family are going through right now!  I will continue to send thoughts and prayers for Baby Will and your family, and for your DH's family in the aftermath of the tragedy of his sister's death. 

{{{hugs}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

JLynne, thanks so much for the update and we're all pulling for little Will to pull through. Such a difficult time, but it's good that his condition was known early on so plans could be made. And condolences to your DH on the loss of his sister. Such a tragic loss, and all too common it seems.  {{Jlynne's family}}
                            Hugs, Jlynne. Prayers for little Liam (sort of close to Leo, huh?) and his family.  Heart felt condolences to your DH on the loss of his sister.   Please keep us updated.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Welcome, WG!

Pink is good, birthweight is good and healthy, and WIllLeo is well loved.  (And dark haired babies are the cutest )

From what I understand, the operation, while scary, almost always results in the children who have it being able to lead healthy lives, no?  We're all sending our best, praying, and just keeping him and your family near our hearts while he gets things straightened out.   Wish we could do more.

I'm so sorry for you and your DH over the death of your SIL. 

Take care of yourself, Jlynne.

Keep us posted as you are able. 

Masters 2000 miles

Jlynne, what an emotional roller coaster for you and your family.  I'm glad to hear little Leo/Will is here and doing ok in good hands.  My thoughts continue to be with everyone as he gains strength for his surgery and that it goes well.  My thoughts are also with your husband and his family over the tragic situation with his sister.  Keep us informed as you have the chance.

TomS