Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 05/22 (Read 551 times)

Quick post -

8 miles this a.m. with strides on very unsproinky legs.  The last mile was .  Oh well.  At least I'm alive to run another day!

Will get in 3+ tomorrow along with strength training, then the rest of the week will be a crap shoot as we leave for Conference on Wednesday.  I foresee a couple of dreadmill runs in my future. Double

Have a great week ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Wow, some great runs last week for all of you.

A belated Happy Birthday to Jim's dad!

School started back up todaySad

Taking my last 2 classes and I'll have my degree in Legal Studies......so excited!

Ran 2 miles yesterday morning, yes I know it's a shockerSmile

Have a super week all..........Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

hey 40s and up!

Jim....yeah, about your Dad....90 years.....that's great!  Tell him happy birthday for me.  I'm so glad to hear he's doing good.

Jewels...continued good luck with school. 

Leslie, I know it's a struggle sometimes.  Go Titans!

Didn't get the long run in last Sun.....cleaned out the garage instead.....was gonna do LR yesterday.......had 15 planned......did 5. 

No particular reason the run was cut short.  Just because I could, I guess.  And you  know what?  I woke up this morning, just like evry morning.  Life does go on my friends. 

It's there for the takin', or the leavin' behind.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

Happy Twos day Peeps!

Thanks for starting us off Leslie!  & why a dreadmill?  Are they forecasting really bad weather for you? ya know, it's not so bad if you watch a movie or something....not that you'd lose much if you passed on it...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Jim's Dad!!!     Glad you got your planting done....now for the rain...& slightly warmer weather   {{{prayers that this year goes better for you!!!}}}  glad to hear that you're getting some good miles in! How's Lynda doing w/that?

YAY JEWELS!  ~ into the home stretch with you!    how long till graduation then?

Ev - sometimes it's just a really good thing to run "by feel"   ....messes with my training schedule when I have one but, otherwise I it just feels right!

Joe - glad to hear that things are heading your preferred direction @ work!! I like having a mix of "at the office" & "on the road" myself....& lucky me, DH has always been pretty good about that!

Kev - glad to hear you're feeling better!!  Ya know, us girls would appreciate you guys paying attention to "shorts season!"   I luvs me some good lookin legs!

Been AWOL here for a few days...could read a bit but, not much time for postings - even w/the Crackberry!  Had to pop up to NE for a combo of Mairead vet visit, Graduations (I've gotten a bunch of graduation notices from kids that I'm SURE are only about 12 yrs old!!!! Last time I checked anyway!)   & a bit of a social check in (we used to live up there!)  ....Mairead's Docs (who are runners themselves)   x-rayed to check things out...nothing torn or broken...however, she is up to 106 lbs!!!  I didn't even realize that she was getting chubby!!! -  recommendation: keep running/walking briskly with her lazy butt, maybe less miles till she gets the weight down - target the 91ish that she was a year ago, but at least 10 lbs before any longer runs, add some glucosamine/chondroitin (which I have already)..but primarily the problem is her weight - it's too much for her style of structure.....I'm such a bad Mom!  ..letting her get fat & happy! ... She stayed @ a friend's house, who has a kennel  this wknd, while I stayed at another friends' place...oh boy! she did NOT like that one bit!  She may have gotten a good start on her diet already!....  I took the opportunity to get in a couple of runs all by myself....Had a good 4 & a 5 mile, "entertaining" runs...apparently, I'm a bit of an anomaly there!  Not only did I not see another single runner out while I was, a couple of motorists very obviously stared at me! one even stopped for a few mins!   when I got back from the 2nd run, I asked my friends if I'd accidentally sprouted a second head or something & related what I'd observed...they said, yup, there's only about 4 around here - other than the HS students during track season!  & advised I probably should've run in something that looks more like old school gym clothes rather than my "tech gear" so I don't stand out so much!? YUCK!   .....

More later...must go do my & 'Raid's workout now (my turn) before T-storms roll in for the pm..

C

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Howdy all! Finally have a chance to check in!

Jim - good news on your dad doing better, and nice to hear the planting's done. Hope the weather cooperates this year.

Jewels - the final push to finish, must be exciting!

Joe - I'm all worn out from reading about Dopplebocks race...just amazing.

Leslie - congrats on having one full-time job instead of two part-time...you've been waiting a long time!

Stumpy - nice progress report.

Cindy - awww, poor Mairead going on a diet! Hope she feels better, though.

Was gone for a few days in the San Francisco area, had a couple of wonderful runs along the bay, then participated in the Bay to Breakers 12K run, which is TOTAL INSANITY! Imagine over 40K runners and walkers (mostly walkers), most of them in costume (or, um, nothing at all), many of them drunk, maybe 20K bandits, and probably another 40K spectators (ALSO in costume, drunk, high, etc...), street parties, house parties, bands, etc. and the traditional thousands of flying tortillas at the start, and you have the makings of a VERY fun time! Several friends and I went as super-heroes and slowly picked our way through the crowd, finishing in about 1:36 or almost 13 min pace. Heh. It was a course PR for me as I DNFd the last time when they closed the course (I was a walker/drinker that year). Good stuff. Next year is the 100th running, you might want to consider making the trip. Smile

Finals week - back to work...

Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Hiya Guys-

Quicky post as I just got home from work. Hours are going to be screwy but it works to my advantage sometimes. I had a morning job and a night job so hit the gym in the middle of the day today as it was pouring outside.

10 m on the mill and 10 sets both pushups and situps on that ball. Who new that damn ball was so tough?!?! I'm whooped!

Cindy- 110lbs?!? What are you feeding that poor dog? Baconators?

Arla- That sounds like a wild time in SF. Reminds me of some things I observed ( not a part of nope not me) in my younger days there.

Jim- Happy BDay to your Dad! Hope your planting is finished.

Ev- Gotta go (or not go depending on how you feel) with the flow.

Jewels- You're almost there! It seems like just yesterday that you were starting school.Good for you!

Leslie- where are you off to this time? Back to Long Beach? Treadmills can be your friend ya know.

C youse

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Arla--that sounds like quite the "race".  Or 12K rolling party.  guess you take your pick?  But a PR none the less.  You have left yourself a LITTLE room for improvement.

Cindy--I'm assuming that NE is Nebraska?  Didn't realize that running was that unusual anywhere in the country.  Always fun putting pets on a diet.  Our younger cat spent a couple of years during the (ex) older cat's decline raiding her food when she was eating a lot less.  She is JUST a little round and yells at us to be fed beyond her limited rations.  Hope Mal gets back to running weight soon.

Jewels--Glad to hear you're on the homeward strech.  Going to school part time is pretty painful, but nice to be done.

Ev--do you mean we don't get paid for this?  I was wondering where my checks had gone.   It's great to feel comfortable with whatever comes.

I did 5  in 48:25 myself this mornig.  schedule said 4.5, so I added a little side loop before I went around the lake.  Slilght miscalculation, but once I figured it out, it was too late.  didn't mind too much.  Seemed like a decent pace, so I went back and looked at the 5 mile race I did in March.  Turns out that this run was almost a minute faster for the same distance.  I was happy.  Then I looked at a 3.1 that I had called a tempo around the same time.  I then looked at the 4+ from last week that was at the same exact pace and I called it easy.  I was happier.  This very gradual buildup along with the yoga and weights are really making a difference.  I'm still a ways away from what I was able to do my first year runing (2006), but it seems like training runs in the 8's might not be too far away.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Gotta make this quick and dirty as I'm still packing.  But I have to at Arla's "walker/drinker" comment re Bay to Breakers. 

3 EZ miles this a.m. with some side and backwards running thrown in for good measure, followed by about 40 min of core/strength.  Don't feel like I got the best workout on the second half, but it's better than nothing.

Jim - We're in Sacramento Wed to Sun.  Annual Conference, so it's a day longer.  Lots of workshops and educational seminars.  Me and the Litigation Legal Section Leader are doing a joint Probate/Lit seminar on Wills and Trust Litigation (sounds exciting, huh?).  Well, we're not the ones talking, but had to find the speaker, get people signed up, etc.  We have 70 RSVPs, and usually there are a few walk-ins.  Should be a nice crowd for the speaker.

Cindy - The "dreadmill."  I have no idea what the area is like where we're going to in Sacto, so I don't know if I'll be running outside or inside.  I refuse to run on sidewalks, so if that's the only outside option, I run on the treadmill.  Even a TV doesn't help.

Okay - Off to finish packing, etc.  The theme is "These Shoes Were Made For Walking," so I brought all my "sexy" high heels I never wear (all 3 pair).  Should be a hoot to see what people put on their feet.  I'm also going to look for some crazy shoes to wear while in meetings all day Thursday.

Later, my friends.  Will check in as time permits.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

More rain last nite so had a good opportunity to get in a good run albeit a muddy run. I did 5.5 with a hard tempo portion, hope it was the mud slowing me as I was awful slow for the percieved effort. More later, better get some work done.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

I tyred! 2.5 w/Raid + 80 mins P90X + 3.75 w/running group =  ....ok, not so all that bad really   I think I'm gearing up into it just fine! sleep is the key - & no expectations of speed!!
                      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - 10 mi on the TM  I find that different things chafe on the TM, as a bonus. Bleh.

Kevin - nice progress there! You and Leslie are cross-training inspiration stories.

Leslie - maybe you can get over to the American River trail while in Sacto. Be careful in those high heels!

Cindy - are you doing the P90X with a video or a class or ??? I've heard that it's really tough!

Jim - well yeah I would think the mud would really make running a lot tougher. Or just one of those days.

OK, finally figured this out. Here's the crew, you've seen Big Jim before, and Sue ("Alice"), Monica (Queen of Hearts) actually flew in for the weekend from Switzerland to engage in this silliness. I'm the White Rabbit although I think I look more like one of the three blind mice. They took the pic in Angel Stadium...it was a fun day!

Ex runner

Good lord! How tall is Big Jim???  And yes, with the sunglasses, you do remind me of one of the 3 blind mice.

Jim - I agree with Arla.  Mud would seem to slow the situation.

Cindy - Nice varied workouts in one day!  And yeah, I've heard the P90X was tuff.  How're you liking it?

Arla - Funny you should mention the American River.  I get up this a.m. anticipating the treadmill, then it hits me - I'm in Sacramento!  There's a frigging bike path and river.  One that I am fairly familiar with.  I'm slow like that sometimes. Ends up I was just about 3 miles as the truck drives, so over I went and started out a mere maybe .10 of a mile from where the AR50 race began.  Got 14 miles in in about 2.5 hrs.  I wasn't in any hurry.

I tell ya, I am not used to running that much on a basically flat route.  It's (1) monotonous and (2) a different kind of tuff on the legs.  Also, I stopped to switch my bottles at one point, which entailed taking off my running vest since the extra bottle was in the pack on the back.  Hung the vest up on a construction fence (some kind of plastic).  Went to put it back on and found 2 ticks on the vest!!  Then, as I was readjusting, there was a tick on the front of my shirt!!  YUCK!!!  Creeped me out, so I did a thorough investigation of myself before I got in the shower.

We're off to the local mall in a few, and it's sad, but we're very excited.  Humboldt County has virtually no shopping for adult, working women.  Except for Kohl's which they just put in a few months ago, and which is already catering to the teeny bopper/young adult crowd or what feels like to me - the old lady crowd.  It sucks.  So we kinda go crazy when we get out in the big bad world.  My credit card is already heating up at the thought.

Later, my friends -

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Guys

Nice pic Arla! Looks like a fun bunch to hang with.

Leslie- what do they have in the malls in Humbolt County? A bunch of munchie stores?

Went to Philadelphia yesterday to see my kid sister graduate Temple Law School. She's 49yo and a divorced mother of three kids. I'm very proud of her.

5k for me tomorrow. Only the third one I have run so it should be interesting.

Queen of 3rd Place

Happy Friday everyone!

Leslie - hope you had some successful shopping! And -ticks - icky icky.Oh, and Big Jim is around 6'4", plus the hat must make 7'!

Joe - congrats to baby sis. My favorite students are often the "non-traditional" students such as your sister. They usually know what they want and know what they need to do to get it. Have fun on your 5K tomorrow, that distance sure does give you a special kind of pain, although in a good way. Sort of. I think.

Got my 18 in yesterday and just finished up the last of the grading for the semester. Monday is just a push-the-paperwork-through kind of a day - so I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend with some easy runs and a little hill work.

Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Howdy Folks!

Getting to rewrite my post...somehow I erased everything when I flicked some dust off the keyboard mid-write

Anywhoo, the P90X is the video torture version...we've had it for awhile, but don't always make it a point to use it......& it is my intention to kick my own butt w/it just now...to quote Tony Horton, "I HATE it, but I love it." Struggling a bit to get through some of the workouts but, my recoveries aren't as bad as I thought they'd be. Apparently I didn't lose quite as much overall fitness as I'd thought I had over the Winter... Right now, my goals are to "come online" w/doing the P90X (get to where I'm powering through the workouts not struggling through) while maintaining 2-3 miles twice per day w/Mairead....then later, (maybe in a cpl mos) I'll back off torture fest to 3 X per wk xt-ing & ramp the mileage back up...somewhere in here, I'd really like to lose about 30 lbs!! but that's another story!

Leslie - have fun shopping! But don't torture your poor credit cards tooo much!   my best one is up to 8.9% now..had to drop 2 when the asshats changed some of their policies & jacked the rates waaaaay up!!  makes me wonder just how badly they were ripping folks off beforehand!

GOOOOO  JOOOOOE!!!    psst:  you 'member yer s'posed to run dees here puny ones @ puke point, right?  

Arla - I read your description of the Bay to Breakers to DH....he thinks we maybe oughta consider doing that one! LOL! Nice pics btw - I agree w/Les - Holy Cow! How tall IS that man!?!?   re: TBM: gives you another costume idea

Thus far, Mairead is doing better w/the diet than my Fat Jasmine! she's my little black Pom who is a dedicated food hound! She's been following me around crying little bits. Is okay, she needs to lose like 2 lbs, which on a 10 lb dog is quite a bit!  Selena, who is a healthy wgt @ 6 lbs,  just stalks the toddlers, 'cause she KNOWS they will have unattended cookies dangling from their fingers!! No, no baconators - just have always "free-fed" good quality food which, most of the time, works pretty well....Mairead was an excellent weight until about Oct., when I broke my foot.... Then, neither one of us modified how much we were eating w/o the daily runs...& when she's not running w/me, her favorite position is prone! on the couch, in front of the fireplace, underfoot in the dining room...it's not so much treats, although, rotisserie chicken skin is to die for!! as it is that she's pretty low energy 97% of the time.....Doc says that her long straight hound legs mean that I really need to watch her weight or she'll develop arthritic damage in her knees & hips - sounds like alot of ppl I know!!

Scheduled "rest day" - who put that in there??  so far, 'Raid & I did a varied walk about the neighborhood, 3.89 miles of chatting w/neighbors who normally only wave & we "fly by", perusing the garage sales & enjoying the Summer smells of sunshine in the flowers & pines   As we were heading up the back trail, which has a pretty healthy incline to it, it brought to mind, and a smile, of a bit of the conversation with my dear friend up in WY last wknd (where I stayed while Mairead was housed @ another friends') as we walked, I'd taken along my Garmin to verify distances on some of their favorite walk/bicycle routes, to which, H&W had been debating & as it turned out, much to their dismay, both were wrong! (although, he'll never admit it!! LOL)  Anyway, during said walk/chat, I checked in w/her as it seemed like I was walking her a bit fast. She assured me that she was fine on the flats but, if we went up the hill, she'd need to back it off quite a bit...puzzled, I looked about & I said, "what hill?" To which, she pointed up the street.....I stared, squinted & said, "honey, that's not a "hill" that's an incline"....and to my self:  a pretty gentle one 'cause I can't tell at all!!!   ....Perception & Interpretation!  & what we've become accustomed to