Masters Running

Friday's Frigid Daily, 12.29.17 (Read 45 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Weather for the Houston area for the past week or so has been very Pac NW-like with overcast skies, frequent drizzle/sprinkles, and temps in 40s during the day.

Six more miles - never thought I’d be saying Seattle has Houston-like weather albeit a little more heavy and steady.  However, with no wind and temps in the mid-forties, six early morning miles weren’t that bad.  Really wouldn’t mind without the heavy-and-steady part, though, for Sunday’s 26.2-miler.  We’ll see.
    Deez - not so much like Justin but none of the meds they were prescribing for my sister in the midwest for several years of non-stop anxiety and hallucinations, etc., e.g. that she was going to be taken away, etc., babbling, etc., . . . until her DD came out from the East Coast and took her to the Mayo Clinic where they figured out the needed mix of meds.  She’s been fine ever since and I’m hoping to visit her this summer.  Do what you think is right so you don’t later wish that, at least, you’d tried and didn’t leave his future up to docs who can never care as much as a mother.  Justin is a lucky guy.  Good luck.
    Happy New Year too Lamerunner.
    Thinking about your winter adventures when wishing

it was snow and I was on skis instead rain

during my six miles this morning.    
    ps KSA - will your streaking get you to 2017 this year?

analog - how'd you do in all the flooding?

Congratulations on the World Series, . . .

. . . and one of the bright spots in the Seahawks' season.

Oh - Somebody needs to ask Tammy what's new in her life.

congratulations tammy, . . . . but can you do it in the rain?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

What's new in my life??

well, my cousin and his wife have temporarily moved on our property in their RV. Not sure how long they are staying but it wasn't safe where they were (Applegate River Lodge) since the area is full of tweakers and his wife was threatened already. 

I'm off work now til the 2nd so that means I have plenty of time to wrap my brain around training for an ultra - oh and maybe run too. currently up to 16 or so miles for a long run so shouldn't be too hard to double that in 4 mos, right? 

Is that the new thing you meant Leslie? 

Tammy

Misplaced runner...

analog - how'd you do in all the flooding?

Congratulations on the World Series, . . .

. . . and one of the bright spots in the Seahawks' season.

Our house is, normally, about 3/4 mile from the San Jacinto River.  It closed to within about 400 meters at one point.  Fortunately, we were not directly affected by Harvey's flooding.  We live on a higher contour interval when you look at a topo map of this area, which made the difference.

WRT to the Astros, I'll pass that along to their fans - I'm still a "true to the blue" Mariner fan, and still waiting for a WS appearance.  Heck, even making the playoffs, now, after a 16 year drought will be an accomplishment.

Current focus: Texas Med Run 10k (2/3/18) and Bayou City Classic 10k (3/17/18).

. . . wrap my brain around training for an ultra - oh and maybe run too. currently up to 16 or so miles for a long run so shouldn't be too hard to double that in 4 mos, right? 

Is that the new thing you meant Leslie? 

Why yes, it is! 

Welcome, Analog!  I'm still recovering from your post about having "lost the desire for trails."  Excuse me while I breath into a paper bag.  I think I'm hyperventilating.

Okay - Since I don't feel like working, I'll give you a couple of stories you're not even remotely interested in:

Story One

1. Clients lost an original, unrecorded Substitution of Trustee and Full Reconveyance sent to them by the SBA five years ago when they paid off a loan.  It took me almost 3 months, but I finally got a new Reconveyance sent to record.  Problem - They identified the wife by the wrong name.

2. Got in touch with Eva at the SBA and asked for a corrected Reconveyance.  About a 3 weeks later one shows up.  Problem: The notary acknowledgment is dated November 28 and the attorney signature date is December 6.  Can't have a notary date BEFORE the signature date.

3. Got in touch with Eva.  A week later (yesterday), I receive a newly corrected Reconveyance shows up.  Problem: No notary stamp or signature.

Story Two

We have been searching HIGH and LOW for some clients' original estate planning documents.  The Hub has since died and we need to file something with the court.  I tore my office apart two or three times.  Our dept secretary tore her office apart multiple times and we searched through things again last Friday before we all left for Christmas.

My boss comes into my office yesterday and is not happy about the lost EP docs.  He's not mad (Dennis rarely ever gets mad), but he's not happy.  I sorta throw our secretary under the bus because I knew I'd given her the docs.

Today, Amy (our secretary) is looking for something in Dennis' office and LO AND BEHOLD! There are the originals, under a pile of his personal stuff, in an unmarked file!!

*sigh* It does my heart good to know I'm not the only one who screws up!

Okay - I'll try to get some more work done today.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

I thought of Erika this morning. -16 was the temperature.  No wind thankfully. I ran about 6 miles on a nicely groomed rail trail. Stayed warm enough but the frozen eyelashes were annoying.

Ah yes, frozen icy eyelashes are a fact of life here! Nice to see you here. Love the pictures you post on Facebook. You and Lori B (seemomgo) post the best landscape/outing pics!

Congrats on the 2k miles, RunnerKSA! Always nice to make your goal. I'm short of 2,200 but I'd lowered my goal to 2,000 miles earlier this year after dealing with PF in Feb/March.

Welcome analogkid, a PNW transplant in the Houston area. Post often! I'll go check out the intro thread.

Electric cars, yes like SB said, you're just changing one form of resource use for another. Around here, our electricity is from primarily coal-fired power plants (with diesel backup) so using more electricity isn't exactly a "green" option here.

Took yesterday off, and my hip does feel better today. But now my ankles are bothering me. WTH? Just can't win it seems. Funny thing, I heard again this week how running was going to ruin my knees. My knees are fine but my ankles sure give me grief sometimes. Will run a bit on the TM later. Probably won't make 40 miles again this week but that's ok. That's what January is for, getting back on a schedule, right? It was -24 this morning so I'm glad I'm not planning on going anywhere today.

BTY

Happy New Year everyone.  When I start running again, I'll start posting again.  I'd use "it's too cold to run" but that wouldn't explain October 18 through last week.

Oh and I probably quit posting in August.  My runs just have not felt post-worthy.

But I am a great uncle again (as of yesterday) for the 5th time with another one on the way next month.  Life is good, it's just my running routine that sux.

Brian

bioguy

Happy Friday everyone.

I'm very interested in electric cars. We have a Prius right now that my wife just loves. We live in a pretty rural area, but my commute to my teaching job is only two miles (I bike it pretty often). I find it fascinating that we feel it is necessary to drill in the Arctic National Refuge, drill offshore, and frack in many places while China, a country I think looks to the long term future, is investing very heavily in solar energy and electric cars. Pretty sure Volvo has announced they will be going all electric, but I may have heard incorrectly.

Wind isn't so bad today. Build some cell membrane models to use in class when we start up again Tuesday, had an hour long conversation with a teacher in the Chicago area who I'm collaborating with, and did a little shopping.

3 easy miles; hope to get out for double digits this weekend.

Tailwinds!

...Welcome Aboard Analogkid //..........we'll let Tramps and tet catch you on Rain Rules and The Fine System........

enjoy the site

=================

''Oh and I probably quit posting in August.  My runs just have not felt post-worthy.''

......C'mon BTY//......when have Carpy Runs stopped Us??...........

or

as they say in Albanian-

''urytg ggof ktuyd''

which, loosely translated, means-

'' the goat ate my Nikes''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Misplaced runner...

...Welcome Aboard Analogkid //..........we'll let Tramps and tet catch you on Rain Rules and The Fine System........

enjoy the site 

Ruh roh, I've already broke rules?  

We got the car!  Made it to Elizabethtown, KY and back!  Long day.  Some traffic slow downs on the way back, but not horrific.

Here's a picture of my husband with the new ride.  He liked it a lot getting home and the battery did great.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Ruh roh, I've already broke rules?  

since with the flood and everything down there compared to the recent six month drought up here in the PNW (that officially ended with today's nonstop raining, I might add), if you still have web feet, you might be eligible for a temporary PNW exemption from the twocat rule no. 1 prohibiting running in the rain unless it's a race you've already paid for, you're a trail runner where they don't know the difference, or it starts raining after you're well into the run, . . . but I doubt it.  Please provide any documentation for experience running in the rain without whining about it and pretending that you actually like it like we have to do.

ps - good job KSA's DH!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

analogkid welcome to the group! About that running in the rain thing. One thing you should know is that tetsujin209 is not only a rule breaker but a rule stretcher as well. Running rule book rule #1 (look it up) "No running in the rain!"© Now there are a couple of subclauses. One, as tetsujin209 correctly noted is that if you go out and it is not raining and then starts you can finish your run. But, I know of no trail running exception. Personally, if it had even rained the day before I would likely bag a trail run, but that is just me. About those races. If you are at a target race and it rains you can run it. Otherwise find a treadmill.

TammyinGP man am I out of it! I had to look up "tweakers." No wonder you said it was dangerous! Very nice of you to let them camp out at your place.

fatozzig hysterical stories! My DW heard my laughing and I read them to her. Then we were both cracking up.

bioguy before you give China any credit for "green energy" you should go to Beijing or some of their other large cities for a few days. They are building coal plants at a very swift clip and so far as I can tell without scrubbers on them. The solar and battery projects, at this point at least, little more than PR for western audiences.In any event, solar and wind are not going to fuel their energy demands any time soon. My hope (and it seems my friends living in Beijing) is that they switch over to natural gas. That will go a long ways towards both cleaning up their air and powering their cities and factories. China also has large natural gas reserves. They are just hard to get to, but perhaps as technology advances the cost will drop. In the meantime perhaps we can help our trade balance by shipping them LNG.

Just an hour on the elliptical today. Tomorrow I have planned an 18 mile run. We will see if the temperatures crack 20. If they do, I will go out and do the run. If not . . . I am not sure what plan freezing as all h$%l is going to be.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Misplaced runner...

analogkid welcome to the group! About that running in the rain thing. One thing you should know is that tetsujin209 is not only a rule breaker but a rule stretcher as well. Running rule book rule #1 (look it up) "No running in the rain!"© Now there are a couple of subclauses. One, as tetsujin209 correctly noted is that if you go out and it is not raining and then starts you can finish your run. But, I know of no trail running exception. Personally, if it had even rained the day before I would likely bag a trail run, but that is just me. About those races. If you are at a target race and it rains you can run it. Otherwise find a treadmill.

Man, I've got some soul searching to do if I'm going to hang with this group.  I'm a rain runner through-and-through, just not 51" in four days kind of rain. Maybe if I just don't mention it in the daily... 

analogkid I just read your intro thread bio. Probably a decade ago now, a good friend of mine came down with the really bad type of brain cancer. Your employer, MD Anderson and its personal worked miracles for him. A cancer that should have killed him in short order was held at bay for over five years. Eventually, the cancer won out. But his family and most importantly his sons (3) were able to spend a good part of their formative years with their father. You all at MD Anderson are true heros.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

analogkid I just read your intro thread bio. Probably a decade ago now, a good friend of mine came down with the really bad type of brain cancer. Your employer, MD Anderson and its personal worked miracles for him. A cancer that should have killed him in short order was held at bay for over five years. Eventually, the cancer won out. But his family and most importantly his sons (3) were able to spend a good part of their formative years with their father. You all at MD Anderson are true heros.

But you still can't run in the rain...

I finally got to run with Ryan.  It was 1 degree ABOVE zero!  Woo hoo!  I went 5 miles with him, then I went another 5.4 on the treadmill.  Tomorrow is the high school country team's alumni run.  It's supposed to be way below zero by morning.  But, I'll get to run with Ryan, again.  Have I ever told you guys how much I love running with Ryan?

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Psst...analogkid...we all run in the rain...and sometimes, we tell Twocat just to get him riled up...it's fun...