Masters Running

Sat 9/20 - Good day to run and race, and be alive! (Read 443 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

yay good weathe for the Equinox, . . . but forget the PR if it's wet and slippery on those muddy downhills and the daunting descent of the chute just when you're real tired. <>NYC/NYC)>>> ps - be sure to give dh a camera.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Rest day for me. I'm feeling back to "normal" after yesterday's running collapse. Lots of contributing factors: - Only a couple hours sleep the night before - Ate a larger than usual breakfast (because I hadn't planned on running yesterday) - 3rd day of running in a row and 4th out of the last 5 days (something I don't usually do) - Ran later than usual in the sun and heat (although it wasn't a hot day) I am not serious about hating baseball or the baseball discussions. I assume we're all just joking around about that issue. Confused I grew up 20 miles north of Buffalo and I am more of home town fan than a sports expert. I love watching the Bills and Sabres (despite losing 4 Super Bowls and 2 Stanley Cup Finals). We didn't have a baseball team so I just never got into that sport. I've been to games in Kansas City and in Houston and enjoyed the experience, and I do watch a little of the World Series. There once was the NBA team, the Buffalo Braves, but once they left town I lost interest in the NBA. I hope all our weekend racers have great days out there today!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Coffee Tim!!! I got my lazy butt out for 12 miles this moring with the neighbor. I am relatively happy with my pace today. She pushes me a little which helps keep me going. Today is the local 1/2 marathon around our lake. Unfortunately they don't start it until 10 a.m. and by then it will already be 70 degrees and the sun is out in full force. No thanks....even though they do serve beer at the end. 10:26 avg pace - 163 avg. hr. I'll take it! 10:15 / 154 9:58 / 163 10:05 / 164 10:29 / 164 10:34 / 165 10:36 / 160 10:27 / 164 10:36 / 165 10:33 / 163 10:26 / 164 10:39 / 169 10:32 / 171 (trying to catch up)

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Peter.. that sure looks inviting! But today it was actually cool! Good luck Erika.. if it is muddy you could slide down the hill like that scene from Indiana Jones Big grin Tim... good coffee! I think I'm making progress.. IRC 52F. Just perfect! 2 limpy gimpy tight and sore miles at 10:22 and 10:33 with Tory. Then 15 miles of hills, roads and trials at 8:45 pace with last 4 sub MP. Leg started feeling ok at mile 5 and was really great in parts. No tiredness/fatigue. Felt very powerful going up steep hills for some reason. ...just like I've been through a taper (which I have with 2 weeks of no running). So far leg feels fine.. knock on wood.. Overall 17 miles in 2:32:13 (8:57 pace, AHR 157) Enjoy your Saturday!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

Whew, I am beat...and STARVING. 22 Miles - 3:13:30 - 8:48 ave pace. This is actually a daily PR because my longest run to date was 21.5...yah whoo. Decided to run this long workout a little quicker than normal to get use to holding a solid pace for a long time. I stayed at 8:45 pace the whole way, except for the first couple of miles to warm up. Awesome news Steve..that just made my day. Ok, who stole the money out of the tip jar...people said they liked my coffee. Oh, that's right..that Ribs charactor was in here earlier wasn't he....I got my eye on that Bill guy too. Be back to check up on everyone...have a good afternoon. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

bike, I'm glad to hear the new shoes appear to have taken care of your foot/heel problems. Did the new shoes contribute to that daily PR run this morning? deez, I hope your back being bothersome is not serious. dg, I hope you're kicking that "yuck" you're dealing with. teresa, congrats to your son on his XC win. jlynne, my thoughts are with you and your son as he heads off to boot camp. Peter, nice picture but I'm jealous. Nice long runs for lame (on TM), Dave, hopeful, perch, and bike (afore mentioned daily PR). Good job on the speedwork for dtoce. This morning, it was in the mid 50s and fairly calm when I went out. I got in 10 miles in about 1:18 for a 9:47 pace. I'm looking forward to some race reports. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
              wildchild

Carolyn

Tim, congrats on the even pacing on your 22 miler! Perch, so glad you're running well again. Dark Horse, thanks for the link about the water crisis - important stuff. Hey, Walt, if you want to vacuum something, you're welcome at my house! Mary, glad you got your lazy butt out for a nice 12 miler, and really steady pacing for you, too! My county is having "free trash day" today, so I'm gonna be hauling about 5 truckloads of construction debris from DH's remodeling project. The new space should be done in a week or two and I'll post "after" pictures soon. Hopefully I'll get out for a long run later. Fleet feet to the racers!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

I got my lazy butt out for 12 miles this morning with the neighbor.
                  I'm watching, and I wrote this down. Just so you know. Tim, well done. Very slow tomorrow. Four miles tops. Watch the Colts or something. Big high five for Steve. No one knows how to manage injury better than this runner and I hope after this huge run today we read the words "magical healing" in tomorrow's post. This is no time for Juan Agosto. Spareribs
                    I am not serious about hating baseball or the baseball discussions. I assume we're all just joking around about that issue. Confused
                    I with you on that Dave....definately joking around on my part! Smile ETA....Great 22 miler Tim...what a fast pace! 5K Run for Shelter report.....very nice weather...maybe a bit warm...around 70 by race time. Nice turn out for this local event which is in it's 7th year. I always look forward to the long sleeve shirt that's given out. I love wearing the long sleeve Tshirts in the winter. This year the shirt has been changed from cotton to tech fabric. Smile A new course record was set...17 and change. As mentioned previously I'm in no shape to race, but did enjoy a beautiful run 26:29 and that good enough for 3rd in AG. I started out really slow and wanted to keep it easy. But at a turn around, I could see people ahead of me that....well let's just say...shouldn't be ahead of me. (there's that ugly ego thing rearing it's ugly head). So I picked it up at the half way point. Visited with lots of folks afterwards and that, to me, really makes the event. I had a good time visiting. FR...navy starter shorts, royal blue starter t shirt, Big Peach Running Co. hat, Asics 2130 sienna/black. ( I just copy and paste this FR from all the other reports I've done...I've asked for new running gear for BD which is coming up. Blush ) We don't have many races here locally, so I support this one (and the other one) every chance I get. Hope to get some football watching in today. Have a great weekend, evryone!
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      One moment yesterday in the Latin class I teach. I was handing back a quiz. One of the questions on the quiz was, "What does panem et circenses mean, and what is the significance of this phrase?" I told the class, "Almost every girl in the class said, 'The Romans gave the people bread and circuses to keep them happy,' or some other answer with the word 'happy' in it. Almost every boy said, 'The Romans gave the people bread and circuses to avoid riots,' or 'to prevent violence,' or something like that. I marked all of your answers correct. But the boys are the ones who really get the point here. Let's call a spade a spade. Most Romans were poor, and lived day to day. They depended on the grain handout for food. Many of them had no jobs, so they depended on public entertainments to give them something to do. The Roman leaders didn't care if the people were happy. They were worried about riots, mob violence, property destruction, fires, criminal acts. "On that note, in class the other day someone translated servus as 'servant.' If you were a servus, you were a slave. You were personal property, you had no rights, you could be bought and sold, used and abused. Ancient Rome was a brutal place. It was a tough place to live, and a tough place to die." Dark Horse
                      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                        Rain in the PNW...WooHoo!!!...6 easy miles at an 8:35 pace...lovely
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                        busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Tim, I could have used more coffee this morning! Hey, nice long runs Tim, Perch! Good luck Holly (and the others racing)! I was traveling home late last night and wasn't able to get up early enough for the group run. So I went out on my own for 11 miles at roughly marathon pace. I've been Injury free this week but a bit paranoid, as we all are at the end of a training cycle. Tomorrow is the toughest day of training, a 20 miler with a 5K race in the middle. I'm not sure how many miles I'll do before versus afterward and it is definitely not a scientific approach. (more of a if I can tolerate/survive I'll be stronger approach). :-) Enjoy your day folks! Craig
                          -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                          also on Twitter
                            Rest day for me today, in preparation for tomorrow's F.I.R.S.T LR test run. DW was in Tampa and Orlando most of the week on business. She got home last night and called from the car sitting in the garage "I need help." I went out to the car and she said "I think I broke my foot". Apparently she rolled off a curb she did not see and it was swelled up pretty good and very sore. I came home this morning aftrer golf and she said "I'm going to wait a few days. I think it's just sprained". Since she had just changed jobs, she was/is in between Insurance companies and was trying to avoid an $850 COBRA premium - hoping to be healthy until her new coverage starts early next month. NOT!!!! I said. I've had many sprains including sprains where they hard casted the foot for 6 weeks. Though her foot was swelled up, there was no discoloration. Really bad sprains get all manner of rainbow colors. So I insisted she go get it X-rayed. Yep, I was right. Tarsal fracture. They put a temporary cast on it and told her to see an Orthopedist in Monday. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

Another group of kind and friendly people were the Roman army. Tell the class how we get the word "subjugate." Good to see you helping the class with these historical insights. Evry, way to go on the AG hardware. Busiman, you are getting ready. A fiveK inside a 20-miler. You are tough. DickyG, I'm watching the Ryder Cup. I hope Dave and those other guys don't get mad at us for bringing it up. (hee hee) C'mon Erika. Report in already. Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)