Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 3.13.18 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Monday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3.2 morning TM miles instead of heading out in a blizzard + 2.3 post-work TM miles with the news)
    Tramps (morning run for the first time in a while)
    Deeze (7.2 miles - consistent and sludgey)
    Marj (7 AM bagel walk)
    Fatozzig (afternoon core/ST in place of haircut)
    Henrun (2 sproinky, pre-blizzard miles)
    Anzlo (drama-free EZ 8 morning miles in upper 30’s-low 40’s temps)
    Pfriese (6 EZ recovery miles)
    Falconfixer (lunchtime 7.5 miles without rain)
    StarrRuns (3 TM miles at the Y with Mr. Starr, + 3 miles on the bike)
    Bioguy (7 post-work miles in cool overcast weather with a spit)
    Mike (10 miles, including 4 X 1.5 at 6:40 or faster pace)
    SteveP (3.5 miles with the news)

Welcome back, Tramps. I hope things even out for you and that you get to enjoy more of the little things.

Strange that there are so many unusual/unexplainable injuries & ailments making the rounds. I hope everyone finds the causes and heals up well and quickly.

Good job getting a workout, Starr.

Be careful ‘o that hammy, Mike.

Nice job of sucking up and solving a problem, Steve.

We have our Town Meeting (vote) today, with 49 warrant articles to be voted on, plus candidates for various offices to be chosen. With about 20" of snow expected by the end of the day, turnout will likely be very light, which is too bad. The local Fire Dept. has offered rides to and from the polls, which should help a bit. We're going to try to get there early before the snow PHDs (piles higher and deeper). With lots of snow and high winds in the forecast, it's an even bet that we'll loose power at some point today. Yikes...

The snow started a lot later this morning than we expected, so I was able to get out for a workout. The winds were downright nasty, but bearable 'till some snow started to come down when I was about 3 miles in. When I caught headwinds, even with a brim cap, I had to keep my head down to be able to see without my eyes getting stung. As the newspaper delivery guy drove by, he yelled: "Better hurry up - here it comes!" So I did. I got home before the snow started sticking to the roads, but the winds just kept getting stronger. 7.35 RW miles.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good luck with this next wave of snow, Jay and the rest of you in the northeast.

I really wimped out this morning.  3.3 treadmill miles when I really wanted to get outside.  It was just too cold and dark.  I haven't adjusted to the time change yet and it just felt too tired and early to deal with all the clothes.  My punishment was our overly chipper weather person on the morning news.

Got outside after work now that it's light- 2.3 miles.  I thought it felt really cold for 46 degrees because of the wind from the north.  BUT- I was outside!      5.6 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks jay,
        and also for the interesting information on heel-striking ensuring legs are straight in RW’ing.  I always wondered how the RW judges could detect running violations but I guess they just look for bent legs. Neat.  Otherwise, it's almost impossible to observe heel-striking or not as the heel, even such anti-heel strikers as even event photos from anti-heel striking stalwarts as Ultra-Scott Jurek all the way down to me too, clearly show heel-striking, but we're not, and my barefoot heel would let me know if I was.  thanks again. 

rare one morning mile - I guess mainly because of so much foul weather in so many places and DL’s for so many, I felt a twinge of guilt when I woke up healthy without any excuse not to run a little after j-o’clock with the temperature at an enticing 61o, a star-filled sky and streets lined with cherry blossoms so went for a mile real run around the neighborhood.  I think this is the first time I’ve just gone running for the sake of running without going somewhere to some destination I’d otherwise be driving/bussing, etc. to in probably 30 years since I used to love waking up early in Tokyo days for morning runs around different neighborhoods before everything got so busy you could barely cross the street.
        geez, steve, how are lawyers supposed to make a living around people like you taking it upon yourself to settle things. Actually, you did it exactly the way even huge Japanese companies find litigation so unnecessary.  The Japanese client I’m helping now wishes the protagonist had someone like you.  ps - do you take commissions?

ps - did mariposai's foot survive the six-hour drive back?

Did she get the stand-up desk?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Tet, I'm not sure what the Moab cutoff is, but I know my friend said she'll start running on a Saturday and probably not finish until Tuesday. As she's explaining this all matter of factly, I said "you know that's not normal right??" lol.   

Yesterday was an unplanned rest day day. It was so nice out that I hated to miss my run, but David's tennis match got changed last minute from Tuesday to yesterday because the visiting team misread the schedule and brought their boys team instead of their girls team. So nothing like a last minute "guess you are playing tennis today!"  But he worked with his coach over the weekend and was ready to go and beat their #1 singles guy, 7-5 and the 2nd set went to a tie breaker which he also won.  It was a 2 hr match of long back and forths. and both sets David came back from behind to win. I haven't watched him play since last season, even though he works out with a coach year round. I was impressed with his skills.  So, watching him play was worth missing my run, but now we are in the 50's and rainy the rest of the week. 

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tammy - neat.

I checked and it's 112 hours for almost 240 miles = about 2mph or 30m/m

Therefore, a 3mph pace for 80 hours would still give 32 hours to sleep.

Tet, I'm not sure what the Moab cutoff is, but I know my friend said she'll start running on a Saturday and probably not finish until Tuesday. As she's explaining this all matter of factly, I said "you know that's not normal right??" lol.  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

spacityrunner

Your not sugar you won't melt (don't look twocat)...get out there and run.

So, watching him play was worth missing my run, but now we are in the 50's and rainy the rest of the week. 

Trails Rock!

TammyinGP

not only is there no way I would ever do that (I only want to scratch this one 50K off my bucket list just to see if I can do it, but have no desire to ever run longer!), but the $995 registration fee is enough to make me choke too. well, that and the fact that it's 240 freaking miles!! 

Tammy

Henrun

As snowmageddon descends I’m glad I ran the last 2 days. Fortunately our new condo complex has a fitness room and I went in for 20 minutes of cycling.Apperently we have some active neighbors. As I was entering  a departing neighbor told me I had missed 5 others. Conditions outside are terrible with whiteouts and heavy winds. There are many power failures. I think I’ll continue to stay in.

TammyinGP

Your not sugar you won't melt (don't look twocat)...get out there and run.

okay - I'll get out there and run.  Although I totally would have figured that this week you would want me to take a complete rest week.  

Tammy

spacityrunner

yeah you would think that huh....

okay - I'll get out there and run.  Although I totally would have figured that this week you would want me to take a complete rest week.  

Trails Rock!

And the smack talk continues!  *munching on bowl of popcorn, watching the action . . . *

I feel for all you folks in the east. 

I heel strike when I get really tired.  It's something I have to be very conscious of not doing.

$994?  Whoochie!  But I guess when you're expecting to be dealing with people for 3-4 days (or more), it ain't cheap.  Not to mention all the authorizes and insurance, etc., to be on the land.  If I had the time, I would love to volunteer at one of those races.  Something to consider . . .

SteveP - Thanks for the .  I've disarmed a lot of "grumpy" people by being really nice to them.  When you're not combative, it throws them off their game.  I've only had one client I essentially "fired" for my boss and practically slammed the phone down in the guy's ear.  He was a real *&%$.  After I got off the phone, I had to get out of the office for a few minutes.  As I was heading up the sidewalk, I saw my boss on the other side of the street coming back from court.  He looked at me and knew something was wrong and motioned for me to wait.  As he walked up, I practically yelled, "I think I fired a client!!" He walked around the block with me as I ranted about what had happened, then smiled and said don't worry about it. (Have I ever told you how much I like my boss?)  The client's wife called the next day to apologize for her husband, and as I was talking to her, she said, "Oh, by the way, Gary's on the line, too, and wants to talk to you."  I was furious! I heard him out, "accepted" his apology, hung up, went and told my boss about the phone call, then respectfully said I would never work with that client again.

Okay - Now that I have that out of my system!  Whew! 

2.35 mile power walk this a.m.  Some knee discomfort, but so far no pain going up or down stairs.  Even though I wanted to run, I kept with the mantra of 2018: Don't Be Stupid.  I'll be asking for a referral to my PT.  I ain't messin' around with this stuff!

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

bioguy even a spit of rain, if it was raining when you started, is a rule violation. Read the rule book folks! Rule #1, "No running in the rain!"©

Mike E I will keep my fingers crossed that your hamstring behaves. Just be nice to it!

SteveP that is one unpleasant situation you have on your hands. I would give odds one way or the other you all are done with that builder.

Anslo wow you are running the Moab 240 with TammyinGP! AWSOME!!!  What next week right? Boy is TammyinGP's friend Ellener going to be jealous of you two!

coastwalker surprised your town is not shut down today. Mine is. Schools are closed., etc. Snow stopped mid-day but by then most people had bagged trying to get to the office.

RunnerKSA see if you were in my town it would not have been wimping out. Outside it was cold and windy with a pretty icy snow coming down.

tetsujin209 one mile today in the morning, you decide to start training again?

spacityrunner maybe not melt. Just die a miserable wet death. 

Henrun it was bad here in CT I can only imagine how bad it was up your way given the forecast.

fatozzig good mantra. Good luck with that knee.

Got up this morning and to nobody's surprise was greeted by slick, icy roads with more icy snow coming down. Easy call, down to the TM for a one hour run. One little hiccup. The TV was out due to the storm. Let us hear it for the DVR! Ended up watching several episodes of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. There are some pretty interesting places to eat out there! By noon the snow stopped. But it is now almost 3pm and it is going again.  Man am I getting tired of this!

Well this is just precious! I ordered iTABs for my DW and me to stick on our medals from the Mesa 10K and marathon. What arrives today? Two separate envelopes. One addressed to my DW and one to me. I open mine up and see an iTAB with her name and time on it. Geez I must have opened the wrong envelope!  Nope. I had the right one. I know, they switched which iTAB went into which envelope. I open her envelope up. Another iTAB for her medal!  Oh joy and even better they are in England. I wrote to them at their email address. Included a copy of the original order confirmation showing that I did in fact order two different iTABs, one for my DW and one for me. I did not order two for her by mistake. Any bets on how long this takes to get resolved? I wonder if they will want the errant iTAB back?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

pfriese

And the smack talk continues!  *munching on bowl of popcorn, watching the action . . . *

No smack talk from me.... my team is in last place.

11 miles for me today.

Paul

Good luck with that, 2Kitty!

We have a client we're working with on a trust administration.  Very nice lady, but OMG!!!! I've talked to her twice today and once to a beneficiary, and I am now . . .

Image result for banging head against wall

Honestly, I'm not trying to be mean, but either our client is simply not smart or she just . . . doesn't . . . listen!!  Or maybe a combination of both . . . . My frustration with her knows no end.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Anzlo

Anslo wow you are running the Moab 240 with TammyinGP! AWSOME!!!  What next week right? Boy is TammyinGP's friend Ellener going to be jealous of you two!

Based on the above ^^^^^ response I am clearly going to need to work on my silly writing skills ...

After waiting for the downpour to stop this AM I completed an EZ 4 miles.  I noted that Tet and maybe the rest of you are using "RW" as race-walking (a skilled technique) when I have have been using RW for run/walk.  Perhaps I should change to R/W as necessary to eliminate the confusion.

Prayers and thoughts with you northeastern folks!

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD