Masters Running

Wednesday Humps and Camels et al 11.13.19 (Read 36 times)

Quick start.   Love the pictures, Steve.  She is so adorable.    Lots going on yesterday-  China infiltrates mysteriously!     Bitter cold over much of the country drove many of us inside.  We'll be back out there!

3.2 treadmill miles to start the day for me.  It was 15 outside and there are a few patches of ice.   My car was a block of ice yesterday morning and it took quite awhile to get it defrosted and scraped.  Ugh.

Happy Wednesday, y'all.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

I had my first workout since the half on Saturday. Had a good time at the gym. Stayed on the Ascent Trainer a couple minutes longer than usual and added a couple extra machines. It has put me in a good mood to start the day. I hope to work a little more on leg and core strength this winter. Since I do zero now, it should be an easy goal to achieve.

I have full confidence in the younger generation (as a group) to do a good job fixing things. The point of my tongue-in-cheek rant yesterday (if there even was a point) was that the older generations haven't been doing "nothing". And you can see the progress if you just take a moment to look around.

Time for work. I will now turn my chair 90° to the right and switch computers. Thank goodness for meetings. I finished packing up all my books during a couple of them yesterday.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Ok Boomer. 😉

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, KSA. I wasn't as smart as you this morning.

I'm glad you had a good workout this morning, Dave, and got your day off to a good start. And I'm glad you made productive use of yesterday's meetings.

Every generation has those who do and those who don't. Our impression of any generation just depends on which group of its members we look at.

I debated sleeping in this morning because A) I could hear the wind blowing out there and, B) I'm still catching up from the weekend, and some extra sleep would have helped. However, I got up and kept moving, and was out the door (this is where I wasn't as smart as KSA) before I knew it. I did layer up, which was good to have done because it was 16° and the wind was constant and strong with some challenging gusts to keep things interesting. But there was also a nice 31/32 moon high in the sky to light up the roads. 4.2 refreshing RW miles.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Doug—that’s a new one. Happy Singles Day?

Tramps, do you remember "Don't trust anyone over 40."?

Steve—we’re getting old; it was “Don’t trust anyone over 30.” Before my time but, trivia, did you know it was Jack Weinberg?

RCG--I'll add my "Amen" to Erika's.

Dave--for more than two decades, I taught courses on social movements both to undergrads and grad students. One of my goals for the course was to get students to appreciate your point. Not always easy to get young people to see how both these things can be true at the same time: (a) "If there is no struggle, there is no progress;" i.e. in many respects, things today are better because of the actions (often beginning in the streets) of those who came before us and, simultaneously, (b) "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." i.e. there are many threats and injustices to be tackled; some bigger than ever.

Tammy--Annie reminded me so much of our Koko (RIP) that I dug up a pic. She was a really smart dog. I've told this here before but when we installed an invisible fence with shock collars to let the dogs roam on our property, Koko quickly figured out that she could get close to the fence and the collar would beep a warning but not emit a shock. So she just sat there with the collar beeping until the battery died and then went on her way. At first we couldn't figure out why the battery on her--but not her less-bright companion--died so quickly. Then we watched her from a window as she did it a second time.

She was a sucker for a good ear scratching.

Exactly 35 degrees colder this morning than yesterday morning. 23F vs 58F.  Only light wind, though, so it was a nice run under sunny skies 5 miles.

Be safe. Be kind.

...some Beautiful dog pictures,

I think steve's Monster and grandkiddos are hilarious............so how's Dunkin doing these days??

===========

currently

17-degrees ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(not the WindChil, 17-friggin degrees)

hopefully heading out around 10

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

LOL Dave- I guess you can count on me and the camel!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I stayed up too late cleaning up after mahjong. And, like Tomwhite, I will wait for warmer temps to go for my walk.

The title of this group says something. And this is

a song that says a lot

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

anneb

Beautiful doggies, Tammy and Tramps.

Another bitter cold morning in the teens, with sub zero windchills. Just not feeling like facing that. So, 4 uninspired miles on the treadmill again, and then off to start the day and get to work. It IS supposed to approach 30 here today, so that's positive.

The H works for a large public tech company - he is sales/manages channel partners. He is having a record year but his work life is nothing but drama. Business plan changing, bad management in place after a bunch of changes a year ago, really some of the people he works with are awful. But anyways... he does not do a good job separating the bullshit of it all from life and it's really wearing on him. I want him to hang in there for this year because he is owed a lot of commissions, and they usually lag about 2 months. And part of me can't understand how he can't figure out a way to manage these people better! I mean he is home office and his management is in Boston FFS. Block off your calendar... screen calls... only respond to email... etc. Which I guess makes me insensitive to it all. Sigh.

Anne

TammyinGP

Thanks for sharing Koko's story, Tramps. She looks like she has that ear scratching lean down perfect!  That's how Annie was too. You'd start rubbing her ear and she's press into your hand real hard and then start grunting because it felt soooooo good!  

Thank you for all your kind condolences on the loss of our Annie. She certainly is missed in our household. My DH is having the toughest time with it. He said yesterday that he never realized how much of his day was wrapped up in taking care of her until she wasn't here anymore. he would sometimes spend an hour just trying to get her to eat her 1.5 cups of food and the multiple times trying to hide her tramadol in a piece of cheese. She had an uncanny ability of eating only the cheese but the pill being spit out whole.

No run for me again today, board meeting tonight.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Early morning meeting in Troy has me getting to the office just now to a stack of paperwork and 48 emails/voicemails that are all demanding my attention RIGHT NOW!  My DH works for the county and on days like this gets to play on his phone most of the day, all the while making a third more than I do.  My job, on the other hand, is super-hectic almost all of the time, so during the workday when he texts me pictures of boots and such and says "You should get a pair of these" I just stare at my phone in disbelief.  Okay, maybe a little jealous too.

3.5 miles on the TM this morning continuing with the run/walk theme, plus some squats and shoulder exercises.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

There were some great, funny comments yesterday and today, as well.  I love coming in here and "talking" to you all.

SteveP - The monster is hatching!  And to echo, Tom - How's Dunkin doin'?

Love the pup pics.  More, please.

I think every generation has had the "We're screwed with this up and coming generation!" thoughts.  I often wonder about the next generation, then I read something like this and I know all is not lost.  

On another front, I got in about 45 min of core/ST this a.m. after wasting too much time laying in bed thinking about getting up.  I wish my cats knew how to flip their time switch like we had to 'cause they're killing me!  Oh well.  I hope to get to the elliptical, if I can get out of work a little early.  We'll see.  Last night I may have mentioned blueberry pancakes sounded good (we have about 4 gals of frozen blueberries), and The Hub has decided that's what he wants to dinner tonight.  SO - if I want to stay in his good graces, I'll be home at a decent hour to make pancakes; hence, the need to leave work early.  And since he cooks 99% of the time, I need to do this for him.

It's Wednesday, which means we're on the downhill slide to the weekend.  Enjoy ~~

Related image

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Roch - have you been sleep-shopping? 

That's exactly what my DW accused me of with a smile -- she loves to tease me about my propensity for online shopping and had just read something in Malcolm Gladwell's latest book about what people have bought during an alcohol blackout while seeming externally normal.

It seems like they keep coming up with new, vaguely defined "generations" such as Echo Boomers, Gen-X, Gen-Y, Millennials, Gen-Z... I was born in September, 1946, coincidentally about 9 months after my dad got back from Germany , so at the leading edge of the Boomers and my DW was born in 1957 at the peak birth rate of the same generation.

Tuesday was getting to be my pool day, but I really want to rest my shoulder and had forgotten about the mall-walking option since it's usually not necessary until January. So I did a number of small chores on my to-do list (adjust tire pressures in my car, call the cable company, make a dr's appointment) and then walked 2 miles at a good clip on our TM (I don't like running on it since it's rather on the short side).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

...I dunno roch,

are we hitting Generation- DumbAss yet??......seems like it....

===========

yeah,

I waited til the WindChill hit 34-degrees    (see ''Gen-DA'' remark above)

stuff

was trying to melt

so wore my Heavy WaterProof boots

...........45-min RC-3lbs trailboots-3lbs  at soccerfields..

since

one of my buddies ''thinks'' he wants to go shooting tomorrow

may

have to skip that work-out

Good Running to Ya................watch your Footing.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

So, the new movie Dark Waters, starring Mark Ruffalo, about an attorney who connects some unexplained deaths to DuPont and goes after them, is actually about Rob Bilott, a guy I went to high school with and graduated with.  Kind of cool.  The movie looks pretty good.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."