Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 1.7.16 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Interesting talk about sleep (or the lack thereof) yesterday. As Leslie does too often, I woke at 2 this morning, and this time I couldn't get back to sleep. Usually, some mind games help clear my brain so I can sleep, but they weren't working this time. Sometimes, I just check my heart rate, and drift off to sleep again before I can count off a full minute. Even though it's rare that I get an uninterrupted night's sleep, I refuse to take any drugs to help me sleep - pills are always the last option I'll consider, never the first. I didn't workout on Monday this week because it was my SRD. On Tuesday, I had slept poorly enough that I chose to stay in and get a few more zzzs. On Wednesday, I just woke up too late and missed my time to head out, so I did some stretching and core work instead.

This morning, I finally got up at about 3:50, fed the cat, and headed out for a workout. I went 6.8 tempo RW miles in 23F temps under a clear sky with a slice o' the moon hanging low in the east and waiting to get gobbled up by daylight a little later on. My average pace, including my warmup, was 11:25, and I had 2 miles at 11:00, so I was pleased with the workout, especially after 3 days off.

I've signed up for a 10-miler in early February and a half marathon in mid-March, so I guess the decision to take some time off or train through the winter has been made.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

41F

calm

6 miles; Hornsby Loop

Carol led the charge and Sonya, Bob, Bill, Ralph, and I closed ranks and off we ran into the darkness. It was a disorienting run for me as I am unfamiliar with the route. And it was a bit of a roller coaster run during the golf course portion. Glad it is done. After the run, we dispersed but, I changed my clothes in my car and went to 0700 mass in town. I like going to daily mass because it is so sedate and yet uplifting.

(And Wawa is just a block away for a coffee and breakfast sandwich afterward)

Wyoming will be the rocket scientist's 48th state in his quest for all 50. We plan on running on 05 June, 2016 in Casper. After the Stinson Beach fiasco, the r.s. shies away from trail marathons with great elevation changes and low humidity. An ambulance ride, a few hours in the Emergency Dept and 4 liters of IV fluids contribute to that decision. It was the first marathon where I did not accompany him. He had been in California on a business trip and I didn't go. I did get a phone call from the race director and the E.D.

Aamos and Wildchild ?  You in?  I am going to run the half marathon because I really am finished with 26.2.  I have started 25 marathons and have completed 23 marathons. That's good enough for me. I think I have a race of some distance in almost all of the lower 48. I might go back and make sure of that. That might be my goal: a race of some distance in the lower 48.

Marj, thank you for the link. Amanda was a good person.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Sayhey! MM#130

Quick hiya--2 minutes to go before a training starts.

5 for me this am.  Police all over my route, as if on a stake out of some sort.  Pshew, it wasn't me they were after, evidently.

Yay, Starr--!!

Will check out Wyoming--forgot GB is so soon to that, so must discuss at home.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Slo

3.5 miles recovery pace. Light mist, a balmy 34 degs.

Sleep...I've heard people talk about the 10 O'clock news but I haven't personally seen it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Too fast to catch, Amy.

3.1 around the lake.  Getting warmer--up to 21° this morning.  Did a little better than I had thought on my tempo miles yesterday when I did my download, but today was actually an overall faster average.

I'm like Tet--I can fall asleep just about anywhere and any time.  Drives DW crazy, since she can't or wanted me to stay awake to discuss something.  Also not terribly useful for work meetings.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

I'm like Tet--I can fall asleep just about anywhere and any time.  Drives DW crazy, since she can't or wanted me to stay awake to discuss something.  Also not terribly useful for work meetings.

Me too.

After long hours and days invested in doing my agency's budget for 2016, I was finally done with it yesterday. I have never done budgets to the level and complexity of what I need to do for the Housing Authority. I feel very proud of myself for having done it!. I celebrated the victory by going for a 6 smile miles run yesterday and by going to the gym for an additional 4 miles, 3 miles at tempo plus some much needed upper body XT.

No running this morning since I want to enjoy running in the sunshine and 35F.

Have a lovely day!

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...ok jay///............turn this on when you need to get to sleep........on a low volume

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdYBmLGR61A

...........and don't Knock It til You've Tried It......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I've heard people talk about the 10 O'clock news but I haven't personally seen it.

I know not what you speak of.

The Ambien issue - It caused my dad to do really weird things.  He'd get up and cook, took tons of photos of the things around his house, etc.  I remember when he had a roll of film developed and was like, "Whaaaa???"   It took awhile for him and his doc to figure out it was the Ambien. Thank God he never drove!

Rosie - Stinson Beach ain't a run for sissies, that for sure.  If the Rocket Scientist had never run that kind of terrain before, I can see why he would've had issues.  The marathon alone has over 5000 ft of elevation gain.

Very sad about the young nurse, Amanda.

4 miles this a.m. with 8 x 100 yd hill repeats in the middle.  I have no idea how long 100 yds is just by looking, so I picked a medium sized hill and ran up it 8 times.   Given my workout yesterday, I was surprised at how sproinky my legs felt, but it all felt good.  Maybe it was 'cause I slept like a freaking log last night (finally!!).  I even slept through 2 earthquakes that woke up The Hub.  He asked me if I remembered him asking me, "Did you feel that?"  Uh . . . no . . .

Have a good Thoisday, friends ~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Rosie, sorry, I have another race on June 4, in Colorado, so I can't join you in Wyoming.  Plus, I don't much like paved races, although I've made a few exceptions for RA gatherings!  (Flying Monkey and Ave. of the Giants)   But if we can meet up before or after the race, that would be greta!  Where are you flying in to for the race?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

This happened yesterday in our office.  I pilfered it from our receptionist's FB post:

"When you tell someone we don't take walk-in's and they'll have to call and make an appointment . . . so they sit in the lobby two feet from your desk and call your office."

Too funny!!

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

. After the Stinson Beach fiasco, the r.s. shies away from trail marathons with great elevation changes and low humidity. An ambulance ride, a few hours in the Emergency Dept and 4 liters of IV fluids contribute to that decision. 

Scary!

Leslie - I am amazed by the number of people (not current or former clients) who call an attorney's office and ask to speak to the attorney because they "just have a question for the lawyer."  I wonder if those same people call doctor's offices (doctors they have never seen) and ask to speak to the doctor because they "just have a question for a doctor."

An early morning appointment, coupled with Princess DD's last-minute French-braiding demands, used up some of my running time this morning, but I got in 4.3 easy-paced miles on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"When you tell someone we don't take walk-in's and they'll have to call and make an appointment . . . so they sit in the lobby two feet from your desk and call your office." 

Too funny!!

yep, I think TomW and I were talking about it as I had to do it when I went to the local IRS office last month and they said the same as you can't just get a number anymore and sit down to wait for your appointment.  Can't use a cell phone inside so I stood outside the glass doors, called some number in Washington, DC, finally got an appointment (after lots of listening to options and selecting the correct number to proceed), went back in, sat down in front of the receptionist guy with a big smile (both of us) and had the appointment he couldn't give me anymore in twenty minutes.  One of the benefits of the aging process is knowing I won't have to deal with that kind of stuff, and worse, for fifty more years.

In Japan, not only are some hotels giving discounts to internet reservations through their web sites but, when you call even to a small hotel by the fish market and talk to a clerk who knows me well, you have to get the reservation by the internet.  Oddly enough, only if you are a foreigner who has to show a passport upon check-in at every hotel over here.

Incidentally, in response to the reservation check-in form that always asks your age, I used to write "100" all the time.  Now they believe it. yikes.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Spareribs nice idea for how to make meatloaf! I have to try it.

Holly S. getting asked for free advice is just part of professional life! During office hours and by total strangers, however, seems rather uncouth of the askers.

coastwalker does a night cap count as a drug? Maybe just a food group. You know, like eat out, delivery and take out. Just add night cap!

Still no running for me as yet. But this Saturday! I should probably leave the exclamation point off that. I have no idea if my Achilles is all fixed up. If not then it is back to the elliptical.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

. '' One of the benefits of the aging process is knowing I won't have to deal with that kind of stuff, and worse, for fifty more years.''

ok, that's One,

What's The Other One??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

I fall to sleep fine, but getting up in the morning has been a problem the last couple days. I stayed in bed so long that I missed running yesterday and only had time for a little 2.5 mile run today. Tomorrow I work from home so I should have plenty of time to get in a little bit more running.