Masters Running

Fri Aug 21 Runs and Workouts (Read 368 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I went to the doctor yesterday for my post-op visit and everything is good.   Smile

Good News!

Tetsujin – Karson was 10 lbs 11 oz – yowza!  My firstborn was only 5 lbs 13 oz and STILL got stuck - they finally got him out with forceps and a neonatal emergency team when his HR dropped in a scary way, but all was well in the end, although the forceps left him with a black eye...

PDR – I think it is so cool that little Nate has 2 running grandmas!

Erika - I have two dental implants (hey, the dentist was offering a 2-for1 deal), and DH informed me that if anything else goes wrong with my teeth, I need to seriously consider dentures.....

I got home too late from the kids’ soccer last night to finish my lower body workout yesterday as planned, but I did try something new before I left work.  Instead of bench step-ups, I walked down and then up the 24 flights of steps to my 12th floor office, walking slowly 2 steps at a time.  Hamstrings let me know this morning that I had done something.

1 mile at recovery pace (10:42) on the TM this morning just to loosen things up, then some light x-training, including an abbreviated lower-body workout:

Weighted squats (30), weighted ballet squats (30), split squats (20L, 20R).
    Single leg bridges (30L, 30R), forward lunges (20L, 20R)

Plus front raises, dumbbell curls, superman lifts, reverse flies, stability ball crunches and 4 chin-ups, one at a time.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

PDR – I think it is so cool that little Nate has 2 running grandmas!

Actually this child has 7 grandparents (don't ask), and four of them are runners.  Daddy runs, and Mommy will hopefully get back to it when she's recovered.  I think a jogging stroller is in their future, and the little guy will have lots of running role models.  So different from our childhood - I don't remember my grandmothers doing much besides housework, and my mother was already in poor health when my kids were little.  This is a whole different setup, and will be loads of fun.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Actually this child has 7 grandparents (don't ask), and four of them are runners. 

It is good to know that he won't be spoiled!!  Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

TammyinGP

7 grandparents?!! Wow, this boy is going to score bigtime at birthdays and holidays!  Congratulations to the entire family and especially the proud parents - they sure made one handsome lil guy! 

not sure if I'll get in a run today or not. Supposed to hit 98 and it hasn't been cooling down much into REAL late in the evening. But I'm planning on a longish run tomorrow a.m.

Where's Tim been? busy biking I suppose.

Tammy

dg.

awwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

SmileSmileSmile

Very cute baby pics.....he has very intelligent eyes too!

I hope that is not the FIRST grandchild for all SEVEN grandparents.....oh boy will he get a lot of attention/presents.

Ran 3.1 miles slowly, 60F, with a little misty rain near the end.  IRC. 

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

A beautiful and joyous start to the daily.  Best wishes Beers.  Spareribs

Carolyn - yes, too hot for the dog.  She's a long-haired breed, and the heat index is well above 100 degrees.  Her kennel, while covered, is not shaded and becomes an oven in the mid-afternoon sun.  I'm probably just an overprotective mom ;-).

Woohoo - I made it to the gym for my third weight workout of the week, and I also had 2 yoga sessions this week.  Wish could say I'll be able to do that next week too, but I don't think it's going to happen. 

I'm supposed to do a 20 miler tomorrow, but I'm not going to do it if the temp is in the high 70's like this morning.  I'll gamble that the weather will break on Sunday with Bill's arrival. 

Good weekend runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Will have to catch up later, but want to say Congrats on the new Beer Baby!!  Adorable pics!

I'm having to keep these short and to the point.  We're still percolating along here.  The big problem is getting one of the attorneys to get off his a$$ and start moving his stuff.  But, not my problem.

After winning big at Bonkos last night ($60!!), I got up and got a really good workout in this a.m.: 30 min of stationary biking to "Thelma & Louise," and 1 hr of upper strength and core.  Tomorrow - 22 trail miles.  Thankfully, Headwaters is opened back up.  11 miles in/out, so a nice 2x round trip of 22.

Have a great weekend ~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg.

sigh.  just hit the wrong key and bye bye post.  

the abbreviated version.  

lou, thanks for posting the pictures.... love seeing the proud parents too.

pdr, cool you ran with kirsten.   hope you survived till visiting hours.   get some rest!

sue, not overprotective.   hope it cools off for you soon.  are you starting earlier than your dh yet?

carolyn we could never hate you.

hi tw!

holly, that sounds hard.

tramps, cute shoes.

mary, glad all is well!

yesterday 45 min. core workout.

today I  adjusted the plan because of soreness earlier this week... 4.96 miles.  10:44, 9:48, 9:44, 9:36, .73 at 9:25 & a short cool down.  stride length was a whole inch longer. ;-).  running index was up even though the run felt hard.  ahr was even a little better. 

good thing i abbreviated, huh? 

cute shoes.

These are the words which, when uttered, get the most beautiful smile out of PDR.  "You think so?", she says happily.

Dogs and heat.  BeerDog just loves the heat.  She's too stupid to sit in the shade either.  Just goes outside and plops down and we have to practically drag her in.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

dg.

that's sweet.

hi to my buddy BeerDog!     Sadie is the same way.   she asks to go outside when it's really hot, & plops down in the sun on the driveway.  

Today has been a very hectic workday and I haven't been able to even think about RA till now.

Anyway, I finally decided to do Tinman's Progression run this morning.  No warm up or running cool down - just the workout itself:

3 miles at 5K + 2 minutes (9:20)

3 miles at 5K + 90 seconds (8:50)

3 miles at 5K + 60 seconds (8:20)

5 minutes walking afterward to cool down

Having caught up on my sleep this one went pretty darn good.  Here are the splits I managed to get for the different parts of the Progression:

9:36, 9:10, 9:12

8:48, 8:49, 8:49

8:19, 8:17, 8:15

And this was on a 79° and 93% morning.  I'll take this one.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

mary, great news, I'm glad.

LOVE the pictures, is there a name yet??  He's a looker for sure.  I have to the best part thought is the smile on Mom's face.  He's a lucky little fellow to have that smile to greet his many life milestones!  Congrats to the GPs--heck, y'all just need to add in the godparents and you'll have a baseball team!

OF course, add in my vote for the shoes.  Do they come in different colors so he can coordinate with his wardrobe?

Frank thinks anytime the temperature is over 75, is too hot for the dog.  (He is all black, in his defense.)  He goes out for about 2 blocks, realizes it's hot  and then starts dragging--head goes down, he hangs back, and basically appears to the world as though his humans are torturing him, forcing him to hike miles and miles.

Happy weekends everyone.

grins,

A

I'm in a happy 10K rut at lunch,  just beating my age and trying to make each mile a little faster than the one before.  It amuses me.  It was 74 and 37% humidity.    Guess I can't complain about that, can I?

Masters 2000 miles
                                All babies are beautiful, but, dear GrandBeers, that child is especially so.  What an amazing pose and expression for a sweetie who's not even a day old yet.  Fantastic pic of the new family as well.  Thanks for letting us share the start of your adventures in grandparenthood.  Smile

Things with Mom are SO much better today.  She finally got a diagnosis that, while pretty serious, at least alleviates our fears about all the things that might have been causing her pain.  The MRI showed some pretty significant degeneration in her disks, especially in the L2-L3 area, and that's what's been causing the horrific pain.  She's on steroids for 6 days to reduce the inflammation and still on some pretty significant pain meds, but her outlook is terrific now that we know what we're dealing with.  I'm so glad that we got some answers before I have to go back to school and being available to help her during the day becomes a logistical nightmare.

Got up to the boardwalk to run this morning.  Still miserably hot (85+) and humid, but the wind from hurricane Bill's approach made it more bearable.  I think I ran 5.5 and walked 4.5, but the stupid Garmin won't work inside the library, so I can't check for sure.   Oops, make that ran 5.5 and walked 3.5 - 9 miles in this heat, I'll take it.  

For the first time in ages, it felt wonderful to run today, like my legs finally remember how to make this running thing work for me.  As much as I don't want summer to ever end, I keep trying to imagine how terrific it's going to feel on that first cool-ish, low humidity long run of the fall.  

Happy weekend, everyone!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com