Masters Running

TGIF the 25th of June - oh happy day! (Read 609 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave'll be needing all the help he can get as he's a little nervous for not getting in his standard thousand miles of pre-marathon training he's used to with various fartlcks, speedo's, ......

Dave trains in Speedos?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

and don't forget, she's Human #2 to Tag, the wonderdawg. 

I love how, in the movie UP, the dogs refer to all humans as "mailmen."  And the boy is the "small mailman."  

Leslie - great pics!  What an adventure.  I hope you post a report on your perspective of this event when you are done.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Hello again from bonnie Scotland!  We're having a blast!  No running still, but lots of hiking. Today we hiked up Beinn Madh near the town of Torridon on the northwest coast. The view from the top was amazing - we could see the ocean and the Isle of Skye and the Hebrides Islands to the west.   We're staying at a hostel on the Isle of Skye now.   

Scotland is pretty far north, so it gets light at maybe 3 am, and dark  after 10 pm.  So  no excuses why I'm not getting up early to run, except that I'm not a morning person, and I'm on vacation!    But maybe tomorrow...   We've been so busy and active every day that I'm not really missing it too much.  Plus I'm trying to avoid family friction by taking up family time for running, which is why early morning would be the best.

Happy running, everyone!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Well, I'm glad you guys are liking the reports, because I'm so full of excitement over this thing, I can barely contained myself.  The whole atmosphere, seeing these incredible athletes, thinking of the amazing adventure they're about the embark upon - it's awe-inspiring.  I am so grateful to be a part of it.

Tet - There are 5 aid stations that we will be able to get to.  It'll be a hurry up and wait thing, but that's okay.  As soon as the runners take off in the a.m. (5:00), Karen and I will hop in the car and head to the first AS.  It'll be our only chance to see the front runners.

We got Kate all signed in today, medical check, etc.  Our friend, Russ, is following her and Hal Koerner for a piece for "This American Life," so he was following Kate through the check in process with mic and recorder in hand.  Plus there was Karen, Rodney, Russ' friend Gary, and me.  A full entourage.  When she was picking up her boodle bag (which is the most incredible boodle bag), one of the workers asked another, "Who's she?", wondering if she was one of the premier runners.   Well, she's premiere to us!

I'm going to go out this afternoon for another shot at a run, this time with Russ and Gary.  Russ is the one who came up on me  3 years ago struggling mightly in the last 3+ miles of my first 50k, Forest Park in Portland, OR, and volunteered to run with  me to the end.  He was just a runner out for an afternoon jaunt, not part of the race.  From that chance encountered, we have gained a tremendous friend.  This'll be my first time running with him since that fateful day.  Luckily, he's struggling with the altitude, so I should be able to keep up.

The Boodle Bag:

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I look my best blurry!

Holly, my friends also think I am obsessive about my running, and they are right...if I were not I would be up at 4:30 to fit in an 8 miler this morning . Anyway those same friends are the ones who always comment on my well treamed and elegant figure....

...for me it is normally pay back time during the summer months when we hang out all together around the lake or the pool....yeah...my running obsession allows me to still be able to wear a two piece bathing suit. ...just saying...

Very nice!  

I wish I had big beautiful calves though.  They are getting bigger but obviously still a little wimpy.  

The poem?  Well it is just lovely!  (I guess???)

Bikini came in handy for my second day of pool running.    Legs are feeling better but not BETTER.  

Going to hang out in my hometown with all of my siblings (5 of us) and my best friends from high school that are in town for the weekend.  I live just 90 min from my home town.  It is going to be a blast!  

Happy weekend!

TammyinGP

Your excitement is infectious, Leslie!!   That boodle bag there is the MotherLoad! woah!

have you seen Catra Corbett yet? aka Dirt Diva? You can't miss who she is when you see her - pink is her color, including probably her hair - and tattoo'd up - legs, arms, etc.  Very cool person indeed. #333.  If you see her and think of it, give her a shout-out that "GPRUNNER SAYS HI!" 

Tammy

4 miles......
                Vista
                evanflein

Holly, I know that look you got, all too well. And it is funny, like Tammy, mine complains about the running but brags about me something terrible. You should've heard him after my first Boston. It was embarrassing. You'd think I'd won the damn thing. Have fun on your weekend away!

Leslie, be sure to drink lots of water! When I visited a friend in Denver she said that was the best way to help handle and adapt to the altitude. So glad you're having fun. It's an amazing opportunity for you, and a huge responsibility to take on. Love the pictures and wow, check out that loot!

SteveP confirms it. All the good ones are taken.

Joey is a man of few words today.

I think this will be a rest day. I'm just tired and have lots of little stuff to do tonight to keep me busy. I suppose I need to start weeding my garden this weekend, too.

It was embarrassing. You'd think I'd won the damn thing.

You mean you didn't?

Vista

SteveP confirms it. All the good ones are taken.

Gee thanks....

Vista

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave trains in Speedos?

well, dave's kind of a shy guy and made me promise not to tell but it sounds like you already know because  he forgot his running trunks in Seattle he had to run the whole Newport Marathon in his spe.,... .   I mean the generic swimming suit he brought for the planned vacation at the pool and sandy beaches afterwards.  

ps - leslie - maybe start a separate thread and post throughout the weekend as much as possible. 

I bet if you ask every finisher about it, Kate will be the only one to use the word "fun", if even she does by then.

have fun, have fun, have fun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

lamerunner

Greetings. I did not watch soccer, yet, but I did take today off work.  . Ran 5 easy early this morning then headed a bit north and went for a hike. Did the Tripyramids from the Waterville Valley side.  It starts on an easy dirt road, but  changes once you start going up. I went up the north slide part of the Tripyramid trail.  Very sporty indeed.  That section was 1.2 miles of rock climbing without rope.  Fun  though it did occur to me that doing it alone might not have been wise. In any event, I survived. The trail across the three summits is mostly mellow, except near each summit, then there is the South slide for descent.  Fewer slabs but lots of loose rock, rubble etc. The trail does get easy once back in the woods though. All except the dirt road trail are in the Sandwich Range Wilderness area and it is very pretty.  Amzingly pretty area in summer despite my genreal dislike for Waterville Valley  as a ski area.

11 hiking miles. My feet and knees may notice in the morning. DH is off on a guys sleepover in Maine, DS is off with a friend and DD has just lined up a sleepover. Just me and the cats I guess....

ON that note, I think Cynical Kitty should start posting to keep Avenger Doggy in his place.

TammyinGP

. . .. And it is funny, like Tammy, mine complains about the running but brags about me something terrible. You should've heard him after my first Boston. It was embarrassing. You'd think I'd won the damn thing.  

LOL Erika!  My husband would call me a "marathon runner" to others before I ever even ran my first marathon. that was embarassing also - when he'd introduce me to someone and then tack on - "she's one of those crazy marathon runners" (in a proud connotation, not condescending). . . so then someone might ask "oh, what marathons have you run?" . . .   . . . so I'd tell DH later to not say I'm a marathon runner because I'm not to which his reply was "well, you COULD run a marathon and you DO run alot" . . . uh, not the same dear, but thanks.

So, maybe that's why I decided to run my first marathon - just to get over the embarassment of being bragged on that i'm a "marathon runner" when in fact, I wasn't. . .

DH has gone to a few of my races before. He went to one of my HM (Humboldt Redwoods) and a few of my local races when I first started running. He was actually going to come to Newport when I first said I was going to run that one, until it became a meet-up place and I uninvited him so I could hang out with all my friends and not stress about ignoring him or worrying about him feeling left out (and so I could just have more fun). . .

ok, back to packing . . .

Tammy

dg.

quick post..... Tammy have fun at running camp!

and Leslie have a blast!!!   take care of yourself.  hope no more headaches.

'nite!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

have fun with your lucky kids tammy.

if they're laggin' , just put on your running skirt!

hope you can post some pics of their smiling faces too.

--------------

poor jtv kept on the job too late for divechief/me meet-up

at the huge RnR Expo. they should pay jtv overtime on EDT.

Lots of walking from booth-to-booth, signing up for next year's RnR

and longin... , i mean long stop at the running skirt booth.

Hope all the walking it helped make up for dive's

pitiful training for tomorrow's 26.2 miles. Smile 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)