Masters Running

2's Day 3/10 Stormy Weather Runs and Suchh (Read 541 times)

Mariposai

Energized Holly, your w/o are so inspirational. dg, you are doing so good with your training. BTW, your pace is a speedy pace in my terms. timbo, be careful there...no speed during base building...I want to see you in Seattle. breger, your improvement amazes me. Did you ski any mogles? 2 ezy recovery miles plus yoga for me this morning. I am planning on a 20+ miler tomorrow. Only 5 weeks left before the Wenatchee marathon Shocked. Hi tramps, hi twocat

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #3309

timbo, be careful there...no speed during base building...I want to see you in Seattle.
      Thanks Mari, but I have a question about that comment.... Ribs or others - is there anything really wrong right now, with me having one day a week of some speed work...nothing faster than MP? I have never came back from a running injury before (when I had to completely stop) and really don't have a clue as to what I should be doing. But running most of my miles at 9:00 ish pace seems like a good plan for me, as I need some goal or constraint to keep myself from running too fast. And I might add, I AM paying very close attention to my body, and I am feeling good....AT pain gone. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

Big grin
        Big grin Maybe in October? Alex, that was nice. taking a step back. Reminds me of a book I"m reading. Mariposai, you're so sweet. I'm trying to crawl off the DL & this time stay off of it!! (she says, like it's new idea. Embarrassed) I start PT tomorrow.. wish me luck! Speaking of training well.... look at you!!! Can't wait to read about (I get the easy part) your marathon. I just got done about 20 minutes ago looking at the Ragnar pictures. Great stuff. PJ... I always think of What About Bob.... "I'm sailing!," Ilene, you can see cars & the ground?? Life is grand.
          TimBo- I have a pretty good background in coaching and exercise physiology, I would suggest that you don't add speedwork and add miles in the same week. However, I'm not sure that a few MP miles would be considered speedwork. Just my opinion. Nono great picture from yesterday! Full flight phase on that run, beautiful. Ribs- I am expecting a good cardiologist report. Also, I just read a research article on motivation in regard to gain or loss and instantly thought of you. Mariposai-Hi, hope you are having a great day (haven't said hello in awhile and you are always nice enough to check up on me). Holly- Hope you had a great birthday! Sorry I missed it. I have been doing very little running. Currently well past knee deep in lesson planning, writing papers, studying, recruiting...but luckily still married (Don't tell DW this but I am going to reward her with a nice beachfront vacation when my Master's is finished). Originally forgot to add that I am starting up the 5th grade 5K club again. They begin next week learning about goal setting, keeping a journal, making good choices, and building up to run a 5K in May. We had 11 students in the fall, along with my fellow PE teacher and DW. Right now we have 18 students signed up, along with 8 additional teachers and 2 administrators. I am very excited about this project and as usual will keep everyone posted.
            Tim, that plan sounds fine to me. One day of MP should keep your fast twitch fibers awake a bit and shouldn't be too much to perhaps cause a re-injury. Mari, since I'm a once a year skier, moguls and I do not get along. I have a plan for next year though. I bought some shorter skis and told my Skiing Partner to expect us to take some mogul lessons next year. It's the only way we're going to improve at this point. We can ski any groomer on the mountain including blacks. But moguls and crud remain out of our comfort zone - till next year. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone, 8 miles easy for me today in 1:17:42.82 (9:43/mi). I felt strong today and I feel like I am going to have a good race on Sunday. Speaking of Sunday's race, Ilene: I hope I can meet up with you at the race. I guess Drom and her husband will be there as well. Should be a greta RA day! Good run today Timbo, looks like you are on your way back to top form. Hope to see you back at 40/40 really soon. Have a great day runners, Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

King of PhotoShop

MP running is considered to be a fairly aerobic exercise, so I think it's a good idea Tim. The real issue is not to do flat out speed which 1) Won't help your development, and 2) is inconsistent with your healing process which you cannot declare to be over. Go ahead and run some MP miles; they'll be good for you, nothing faster than 8's, I would say. I went to the cardiologist and they took my blood by finger prick but my HDL was so high it didn't give them an LDL reading so they sent me to the lab next door for the real way of getting blood, from my arm. But this means i have to wait a week to hear what the results are. But the good news is that both my bp and my hr are way down: 100/60 for the bp (it has never been that low) and pulse of 50. That is a big improvement. Thanks for asking, Craneium. I am very eager to learn that LDL number, which is the entire reason I was there. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #3309

MP running is considered to be a fairly aerobic exercise, so I think it's a good idea Tim. The real issue is not to do flat out speed which 1) Won't help your development, and 2) is inconsistent with your healing process which you cannot declare to be over. Go ahead and run some MP miles; they'll be good for you, nothing faster than 8's, I would say.
                  I totally understand NO flat out speed work at all right now, as I already know that would hurt my AT....which I am not willing to go through again. And I will make my MP 8:00 as you are suggesting...I am using last falls MP when I was in great shape and speedy "for me", which I should not be using at this point in my training. I talked to Holly about this last night - I am starting to see some upcoming 5K's that I ran last year, and loved. I really enjoyed running to the race sites - race - then run home...doing the green thing. My fastest 5K last year was 19:26, and I would love to still run these 5K's to see my friends and hopefully make some new one's (maybe even meet a single runner Gal Smile). I guess I don't trust myself, but figured I could comfortably run these 5K's in around 23 minutes and wouldn't be taxing myself that much. Buuuuut, you put me on a start line with a watch...think I answered my own question Roll eyes TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Holly - I'll try to see if I can remember where I put that article - my home computer crashed within the last month, and DH is trying to salvage what he can. If I remember correctly, it's not the long runs that accelerate the aging process, it's the long runs done without any energy supplementation that is the culprit. dg - Good afternoon! I am envious of your pool runs and swims - I really miss having access to a pool. re. 305 vs 405 - I upgraded to the 405 last year, and I wouldn't consider going back to the 305 at this point. The bezel thing can be annoying, but the nearly instant satellite lock on, the wireless data downloading and flawless functioning amidst heavy tree cover and skyscrapers make it absolutely awesome for me. Another nice feature is that if you have to do a hard reboot during a workout, it doesn't lose the current data - you can resume where you left off in your workout.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Cranium - Sounds like your 5k running club is a popular thing. Good luck! And no, I won't tell your DW about your surprise. Smile Alex - Very nice post. Did a 5-mile run this a.m. with 5 steep hill repeats. The almost full moon was sitting right smack in the middle of the road at the top of the hill like a big ole flashlight. It actually made seeing the road kind of hard, it was so bright! Av Pace/Best/HR 1. 10:00/8:21/145 2. 10:10/8:48/157 3. 9:50/8:19/154 (started 5 hill repeats at Mile 3.52) 4. 11:40/8:51/148 (ended hill repeats around Mile 4) 5. 11:08/8:31/154 6. 10:09/9:00/156 (.25 miles) With my new training program, I'll be doing a whole lot more mileage with my LR on Saturdays, and decided that my other "LR" of 10 miles needed to be on the trails as well, so that will be on Sunday as opposed to Friday on the pavement. I have yet to tell The Hub that our only day together (Sunday) will be started with me running for a couple of hours in the a.m. That should endear him even more to this adventure of mine. Roll eyes Oh well, during football season he won't care so long as nothing interferes with that. Smile

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

I totally understand NO flat out speed work at all right now, as I already know that would hurt my AT....which I am not willing to go through again. And I will make my MP 8:00 as you are suggesting...I am using last falls MP when I was in great shape and speedy "for me", which I should not be using at this point in my training. I talked to Holly about this last night - I am starting to see some upcoming 5K's that I ran last year, and loved. I really enjoyed running to the race sites - race - then run home...doing the green thing. My fastest 5K last year was 19:26, and I would love to still run these 5K's to see my friends and hopefully make some new one's (maybe even meet a single runner Gal Smile). I guess I don't trust myself, but figured I could comfortably run these 5K's in around 23 minutes and wouldn't be taxing myself that much. Buuuuut, you put me on a start line with a watch...think I answered my own question Roll eyes TimBo
                        I see you are already trying to squeeze me on this. If you look at the handle "TimbO", make careful note of the first and last letters. Some people are just not coachable! Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - LRs two days in a row?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Ah Ribs, I really know better than running fast 5K's right now...but was just thinking I would miss my racing buds. But there is always this Fall, when I will be getting ready for my A race marathon. I'm really really NOT going to do anything stoopid to hurt myself with the good job I have done recovering, and my return to running.....not running sucks! Sure I am coachable...if not injured last fall at my Marathon attempt, I would have BQed rather easily....I didn't do THAT by myself, my first year of serious / long distance running. Plus, PR's in the 5K - 1OK - 10 Mile - 1/2 M last year. Yeah your right....I wasn't coachable. TimbO - first and last letters - TO Confused TimBo

dg.

Sue, I know I'm spoiled by having access to this. If you're ever passing through Michigan.... I have passes Smile. http://www.wccfitness.org/ ok. I won't grumble anymore. Ribs... what great news about your test results. Denise, how are things at your house? I like how you're handling your return to running plan. Craneium, how is your dad? SRL... how about yours?
                              Henrun

A beautiful day here-getting close to 50° and sunny. Out for 10 miles on Heartbreak Hill at an easy pace and ended with a 5 minute negative splitCool. Met Marj's cousin's husband on the run who is about my age-I was about 1/2 mile behind him as he passed but I caught up to him about the 9 mile mark. Felt good because I rarely pass anyone these days. Just heard on the news that some .of the towns want more money from the B.A.A. or they won't grant waivers through the towns for the marathon. Guy Morse (B.A.A. director) feels they can work it out. Can you imagine marathon detouring through their usual route??Shocked.