Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 11.18.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday’s workouts:
    Tramps (3.5 morning miles in 38° sunny weather)
    Dave59 (4 morning miles with new MP3 player)
    Quickadder (7.3 pre-sunrise humid, 60° miles at 9:19 pace)
    RunnerKSA (2.1 morning TM miles)
    Henrun (5 very early morning miles w/ speed on #5)
    tomwhite (60-70 min of post-surgery, pain-free walking)
    Marj (5 pre-dawn, puddle-free miles)
    Holly (40 min of weights & core)
    Wildchild (8 miles with Helen with some end-of-run rain)
    Catwhoorg (5 squeezed-in TM miles)
    Surly Bill (4.25 EZ trail miles)
    Spacityrunner (3.1 hot miles around the workplace)
    Deeze (50 min on indoor bike trainer)
    Mariposai (running date with DH)

So it appears that we have some singing runners in the group.

YAY!! - Tomwhite is back, and so far, walking pain-free! Ohboyohboyohboy!!

Like Marj, I don’t belong to a gym, and so can only relate to outdoor smells.

Love the moose photo, Wildchild.

Great job history, KSA. I’m glad you got things turned around so well after the last job.

I woke up very early (even for me), and got in 6.5 RW miles in 27° temps. Now I gotta get outta here and pick up Dear Niece (DN) #1 at the airport in Boston at 7:30AM. I hope she's OK with stopping for breakfast on the way back 'cause I'm starving. DN #2 is driving up from CT sometime this afternoon, and DW gets back from her conference in SC late this afternoon. So, after being solo since Wednesday, now it'll be me and the women for a few days.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good start to your day, Jay.    1.3 treadmill miles- last run before Monkey.  Today is going to be horrible weather, so Monkey lucked out (for once).  Tomorrow should be 36-44 while I'm running.  The park is pretty sheltered from the wind, which would otherwise be a factor tomorrow.  I'll help at packet pickup this afternoon.  My son is flying in late this afternoon wearing a boot.  He better come out and watch me finish, after all the time I've spent watching him in events that last up to 10 plus hours!   He has an MRI Monday morning (here in TN- he swears it is in network for him). 

Welcome back Tom, and keep up the good healing.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning Jay, RunnerKSA and all to follow. Enjoy your last few hours of solitude before all of the ladies show up Jay! What's on your dinner menu for the weekend? I always look forward to reading about your plans.

Good luck with the Monkey RunnerKSA. Hopefully the weather will be better for you tomorrow. And nice of you to give them a couple days of volunteer time.

Welcome back Tom!  It was so nice to see your post, and it sounds like you're doing great!

All of this talk about job satisfaction (or lack of) is interesting, at least from my perspective. I worked for the Postal Service for 19 years. I had bosses who had no business being bosses but got the position simply because they had more seniority than anyone else. I worked holidays, had split days off, worked mandatory overtime and worked for some pretty crazy folks. I had a supervisor who wouldn't let one of my co-workers have the day off for his daughter's wedding. Can you say "low morale?"  I feel sorry for Mike and Holly. You spend so much of your time at your workplace, you deserve to have it be a place where you don't dread being there.

6 miles on the dreadmill at the Y this morning, just because I didn't feel like dealing with the wind and cold. Then 30 minutes of weights and core stuff. I'm off to buy a turkey - have a great day everyone!

3.2 over dressed miles for me -- forgot 37 feels warmer with the sun out that at 5:30am!!

Probably shouldn't have run yet, but just needed it mentally!! Felt good, lets see how it feels later!!

Heading out to help a friend move for a few hours so need to fly!!
          Happy Weekend all!!

denise

Quickadder

Usual Saturday morning group run. 70F at 6am, humid but breezy. Good crowd as we have our local running club HM in 3 weeks. Ran with ‘John’ who has just aged up into my AG and he will be serious competition as his B goal for the HM is my A goal. Another runner said her brother is going to visit and run and will be in my AG and probably way faster than me.

First 10 miles at 9:3x pace and the heat, humidity and maybe yesterday’s run started to slow me down. I decided not to press forward with John for his planned 15 and headed back to our start area instead. Finished with 12.5 miles at 9:57 average.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

''YAY!! - Tomwhite is back, and so far, walking pain-free! Ohboyohboyohboy!!''

jay called The Shot//........got in 40-min and OverDid It yesterday (Huge Surprise)

========

30-40 mph winds today,

got

30-min in outside, gonna do the other 30-min Inside

..............Good Running to Ya........thanks for the Kind Words..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

9 this morning for me.

After a night on the cough, DS REALLY would not settle laid down in nay way, so I slept propped up holding him.

I was going to do a boot camp in the 'hood, but my body was sore after that night and I decided against it.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I shudder to think of what might be "very early, even for you"....

{{{Catwhoorg's DS}}}

RunnerKSA - good luck tomorrow!

Re: MP3 players - I always run with a Sansa Clip, which is slightly smaller than a match box and clips to my waistband.  They have several varieties, but I currently have 2 Sansa Clip Zips, both 8 GB, that I switch out.  I listen to audiobooks and music when I run, and listen to the audiobooks while driving to and from work.

Super windy here, but the rain held off long enough for me to get in my LR.  Felt like I was running in place at times, and it is supposed to get even more windy as the day goes on and the storms come in, but the 55 degrees felt very nice.  Won't be much of that in the coming months.

15.4 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

I'm calling it a cross-training day: Tractor-winterizing (pulling that deck is a chore), wood chopping, gravel raking (in my driveway), and bathroom-cleaning.  Whew.

Cold beer for la soirée du hockey later.  I'll be thinking of Mike getting all tense. 

RIP Malcolm Young.  AC/DC was a lifelong guilty pleasure. You can run to just about anything they ever recorded.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Tramps, I heard about Malcolm Young this morning and thought the same thing. Got several AC/DC songs on my running playlists.

Music and running, not really. I like it, but find I use my treadmill time to catch up on my podcasts that I don't get a chance to listen to otherwise. I do like running to music, but not outside. I get surprised by too many bikes and dogs coming up behind me as it is!

Deez, be careful, would ya? Geez... is your foot still taped up?

Hey Jlynne, 19 years at the USPS. Wow, that must've been an experience. I hear it's a "challenging" work environment.

Safe travels back home, Nancy. I can imagine the list of "to do's" is long for a trip like that. Is your DH going with you?

Enjoy the time with the women, Jay! I also would like to hear what the spread will be for Thanksgiving.

I headed out this morning for some errands and shopping, seeing it was -5° here at home. Didn't think anything about it, but wow it was -16° by the time I got down to the main road. Brrr! Nice clear skies and bright sunshine, though. That does help, believe me. We decided we'll be having dinner here for Thanksgiving so picked up a 16 lb turkey. It's been so long since I've done this I really have no idea if that's enough for the 6 of us (if my parents come over). Probably, with enough leftovers to keep me happy for awhile. Will run on the TM a bit this afternoon. Then we're going to a memorial service for a friend who committee suicide last week. I didn't know him very well, but he was the hub of a woman who served on the UAF alumni association board with my DH, and he knew him better than I. So sad. This is the second suicide here of people we know in a month.

Marathon Maniac #957

Safe travels back home, Nancy. I can imagine the list of "to do's" is long for a trip like that. Is your DH going with you?

I meant to say these same things...

Erika - so sad about the suicides - those are so hard on those left behind.  BTW, we saw Wind River last night, and the cause of death of one of the characters was having her lungs freeze and bleed out because she was running in -20 degrees temps, and I thought, hey, Erika runs in those temps and her lungs don't freeze!    But it's a movie...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

5.3 @ 8:06

A chilly 61 degrees here! I might have to start wearing long sleeve shirts soon.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Erika - so sad about the suicides - those are so hard on those left behind.  BTW, we saw Wind River last night, and the cause of death of one of the characters was having her lungs freeze and bleed out because she was running in -20 degrees temps, and I thought, hey, Erika runs in those temps and her lungs don't freeze!    But it's a movie...

It's a tough time of the year for many.

The highest praise we’d get from the tough Swedish ski coach

over the Christmas x-c clinics was when we’d finish

with frost all over our faces and wheezing up blood.

No wonder I love running so much.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

BTW, we saw Wind River last night, and the cause of death of one of the characters was having her lungs freeze and bleed out because she was running in -20 degrees temps, and I thought, hey, Erika runs in those temps and her lungs don't freeze!    But it's a movie...

Yeah, I seriously doubt that could happen unless the person had other health issues. But your lungs don't freeze. Good grief, we have people who ride their bikes to work every day no matter how cold, and run at -40 (not me, my stop is -20) and no problems at all. I asked my doc once about the coughing after a long workout in the cold, and she said it was most likely due to the dryness of the air, not the cold. Your body is pretty good at taking care of itself if you dress warmly enough.

That service for Ed was very touching. He was such a good champion of the poor and downtrodden (as much as I don't like that expression) but apparently suffered from depression. Just so sad and senseless.

4.3 progressive pace miles on the treadmill this afternoon. I'm going to try an outdoor run tomorrow, but finding cleared, plowed paths might be a challenge. Temps should be up to +5 I think. Yay.