Masters Running

Finally Friday May 2 Boomer/Master Runs/Workouts (Read 537 times)

Good morning, everyone. This morning was a beautiful day to run -- 51F, nice and crisp but not cold -- starting to get light even before the start of the run. Best time of year, I think. Workout: 3.1 miles, 8:33/mi, AHR 146 Overall: 4.1 miles, 34:52 Ok, I will admit (even to myself) that I have had some soreness in one of my knees (in the back at the base of the ham) for the last week or so. It probably isn't going to get fixed by ramping up the mileage, so I'll take a few days off -- I have had good results with short rests in the past. (There, I've said it). Have a great day, and a great weekend. Best of luck to the racers -- OMG there are a lot of you. (Courtesy Ileneforward) 5/01 hermosaboy - TC 1 Mile 1 Mile Minneapolis 5/03 naphtali - Indianapolis 1/2 Marathon, Indianapolis IN 5/03 flkjr - Cox RhodeRace 5k Providence,RI 5/03 predawnrunner - Frederick Running Festival Twilight 5k 5/03 WillRunForBeer - Frederick Running Festival Twilight 5k - DNS 5/03 Mariposai - Sunflower relay- 21.7 miles (I will iron it), Mazama, WA 5/03 evanflein - Chena River Run 5k 5/04 TammyinGP - Eugene Half Marathon, Eugene, OR 5/04 Soundrunner - Eugene Marathon, Eugene OR 5/04 Econo - Eugene Marathon, Eugene OR 5/04 BReger1 - Eugene Marathon, Eugene OR 5/04 enkephalin - Eugene Maration, Eugene OR 5/04 hally - Eugene Marathon 5K, Eugene OR 5/04 TomD - Lincoln Marathon in Lincoln, NE 5/04 Sarge - Flying Pig Half Marathon, Cincinnati OH 5/04 Holly S. - Flying Pig Marathon, Cincinnati OH 5/04 ultrachick - Seven Sisters Trail Run (12m) Amherst, MA 5/04 mainerunnah - Hot Pursuit 5K - Brunswick, ME 5/04 CNYrunner - Derrill's Race 5k, Eashtampton MA 5/04 SueT48 - Cox RhodeRace half marathon, Providence RI 5/04 hermosaboy - Bud Break 5k Chanhassen 5/04 mrbill - Palos Bank Southwest Half Marathon, Palos Heights IL

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Birthday to WRFB!!!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Happy Birthday WRFB!!! – and good luck with the ham/knee issue. Hopefully some rest will clear it right up for you. No running for me today – light x-training instead: shoulder presses, butterflies, hammer curls, incline dumbbell presses, superman lifts, butt-blasters, and a 15-minute ab/core video. Hey, according to the schedules on the IRS website, we’re supposed to get the $1800 tax rebate deposited in our account today. Woohoo! That will almost cover the chimney sleeves on the new house. (sigh) My bank account has a revolving door that’s spinning so fast it’s a blur. Good luck weekend runners!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy Birthday Lou!!! I agree - this is the most enjoyable time of the year to run - when the temps cooperate that is. PDR - that cake looks like chocolate sin! Yum-O! Holly - nice workout. Sounds a bit like mine last night. Scheduled rest day for me today. Last night I attempted to do the workout that the trainer made up for me last week. I did get through 80% of it, but I think she gives me more credit than my muscles are worth! I'll keep working at it though. Scale was down 2 pounds!!!! I guess there really is something to this thing they call "counting calories"! Tongue Cheers! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Me

Good morning Everyone, 3 miles for me this morning. looking ove the list that WRFB posted, I'm amazed that so many of you that ran Boston are already running another marathon. You Guys Rawk! Good luck! Is anyone here in the Knoxville/Chattanooga area? It looks like I'll be moving there in the next month or so. I just accepted a job near Athens. Woo Hoo! Big grin Cheers Mike
            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mike--forgot to add this when I last posted--Congratulations on the new job!! Nice to see someone get something new on their own volition--doesn't seem to happen to many of us around here. Hope you;ll like TN. should be better winter running, at least Smile Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I wish I could teleport myself to all these Boomer races! Have fun this weekend. Happy Birthday and Good call Lou! I think a rest is a pretty good gift! I'm buying shoes with my rebate Big grin This morning's run: Mix GA and LT: 2.2 mi warm-up with Tory at 9:15 pace then 4 hard/moderate miles: 7:10, 8:12, 7:45, 7:19 and 0.8 mi cool down at 8:12. Need to work on this as I couldn't get the ticker out of the 160's. Legs felt great. A bit warm 61F, 70% humidity. w/o 4 mi at 7:37 pace avg (AHR 163) Total 6.8 mi in 55:36 (8:11 pace)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

WRFB- Happy birthday! PRD- I hope there is enough cake for all of us. Enjoy your friday everyone. No run for me yet, that happens after school today.

GreenMan

Good Luck Racers, And Happy Birthday Lou, take care of that hot spot. Ummmm, cake jjj
                    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                      ...Happy Bday lou//...........be sure and stick a Candle in Your Beer.......... ======== .....doodley-squat day,,,,,, ........hip/knee/hammy seem fine,,,,,gonna take 'em for a spin Sunday,, ,,then add another day next week if all goes well .............good racing and good fun to our Eugene Runners......... ...................good running to the rest of ya.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

[Coming out of trance] HB Wrfb! Trvl Dy. CU on th othr sid. [Returning to trance] "7 Mph, 7 Mph, 7 Mph ...". Ooommmmmmmmm. B.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Only 2 very easy miles today...8:23 pace...T had a headache,so we walked another mile...Race tomorrow!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY WRFB!!!
                          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                          spacityrunner

Good morning boomer buddies!! Happy b-day WRFB. Holly my "gift from the gov't" has been spent and I haven't even gotten it yet. It has been a bit over a month since I shut ‘er down and I have been good and true to my word and have not run or walked for fitness. I am drug free, not even an over the counter. I have faithfully worn my strassburg sock to bed nightly despite the strange looks from the kittys, Shocked and have accepted my fate in life. My foot is perpetually cranky. Angry I have seen improvement and have hope that I will be back out on the streets someday, but I have no idea what day that will be. Just when I think all is well, bam, it is cranky again. Cry Can’t figure out why. I am doing the stretches, wearing the sock, and wearing my running shoes all the time. I took back the mizuno waves and got some brooks adrenalines (thank god for your LRS is all I can say) because I couldn’t wear the mizuno’s without an insert and I don’t’ want to have to have them in my shoes. And frankly scarlet, I am tired of tending to this cranky foot. While working to heal the foot, I learned how to do the backstroke (ok, good swimmers still laugh at me) finished my masters thesis project (I present it on Tuesday and than I am done, yippee!!!) and let Lincoln out of my pocket and got myself a whole new wardrobe to celebrate my graduation and my losing that last 15lbs (thank you RA weight loss group) that I thought I was stuck with forever. Nordstrom’s loves me right now. I have proposed to start a C25K group at work and have received the blessings of the higher ups. I will have our first planning meeting the end of May with a start day a couple of weeks later. My goal is to work with those that thought they never could and show them that they can. So, once again I will not be posting everyday…this is a running group and I am not running or walking, but swimming. But I will be lurking…however now that I am not knee deep in my masters project I might just be able to respond to posts. Prior to that, I really couldn’t put a coherent thought together and prayed no one would initiate a conversation with me. It often came out gobbledy (spelling Mr. Ribs???) gook. HI Annied!!! Welcome from lurkdom, this is a great group. I have been running through you guys this whole time. Congrats to all who ran or worked Boston. Loved the Boston reports…loved the weekly trials and tribulations. Berger excellent recovery posting, many of us aspire to that level…Erica hope the snow and cold disappears soon. Munch you are one special lady and the many J’s I am in awe of your talent for both running and writing. Mr. Ribs, you cranky old soul, I am so pleased to see you out there and getting the miles in however slow. Are you still wearing your strassburg? SteveP I hope that you are able to get through you mom’s estate without too many more issues (folks, throw the stuff away, ok). BTB, I miss your daily recaps…hope all is well with you. You are an amazing person. CNY I was looking for something on the web the other day and came across a site for products from CNY. I was immediately craving a hoffmans and granny browns. Saw the Bucks and I had forgotten about that. There was a time I wouldn’t eat a piece of beef without my bucks. And I thought about you and Skip. Someday we should meet and do a CNY run. Econo, I think of you when swimming and wonder how you are doing. Tom the pirate and Tammy (and others from KR) it is nice to see your posting here. I don’t like the split at all, but do not have the time or the desire to keep up with more than one site and RA is my online home now. I am not a social person (funny given that I got my Masters in Social Work, but so be it) and one is enough for me. Vista, I am so sorry about the mockingbirds. Cry Tell the kids the truth. It is life. This world is in trouble because of lies. I see a couple of friends from CR have found there way here finally. Good to see ya! Smile To everyone: I am living through your running. Please keep up with you daily stories. I love them and look forward to reading them everyday. I continue to believe that someday I will get out there and do this once again, but for now I am but a swimmer, lurking on the running site. Looking forward to the day I can post, today I ran one mile. (Yes I am a bit of a drama queen but that is what makes me so freaking lovable) Roll eyes Yes, now that I am no longer working on my thesis I am chatty….

Trails Rock!

Dave59

I was relieved of morning baby watching duties and was able to get in a run when I most enjoy running. Just 3 miles but it felt good. Happy Birthday WRFB! Since that cake isn't big enough for the whole group, I'd like to make my case for why I deserve a slice. You know and have met a lot of people from this group and don't know me at all, but we have a lot in common: - You have a birthday today. I also had a birthday in 2008. - You make beer. I drink beer and think about making my own someday. - Your wife works with satellites. My wife used to make a key ingredient that went into solid rocket fuel. I could go on, but that should be enough. So please slice off part of the cake, pack it in a box with some dry ice to keep it fresh, and send FedEx for Saturday delivery. Thanks.

I Can Go The Distance

Cake, did someone say cake? Happy birthday Lou, be good to yourself and get that knee recovered! Good luck to everyone who is racing this weekend, especially those running a marathon. Let's show everyone that Boomers rule! STAY TOUGH! Easy 5 miles for me today FFW (freedom from watch). This is the best time of year for running Lou. This morning when I went out at 5:30 am, it was 60F and the sun was just starting to come up. By the time I finished it was a beautiful sunny morning! Have a great day everyone! Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano