Masters Running

40s On the Run - It's Summertime! (Wk of 06/22/08) (Read 475 times)

jfa

Nice Leslie- was she doing the headbob? I see that when I take the bus to the city.Cracks me up.Lucky they don't break their neck! Good goin on the hills and a day off does the body good. BTW,any of those fires in CA near you? Nice doughnut prayer there Jim ! I'd say it's a SIGN for sure. I agree with the deer chase.I can rely on Buddy to stay back with everything but deer.He just goes bonkers and won't let up for some time after seeing them. We have been seeing alot. Cindy- I am bringing gallons of water now for Buddy,for drinking as well as dousing.I stash them before hand in the woods. Then carry smaller bottles with me.I try to swim him at least once an hour. When I say "swim" ,he really just wades. But it's enough to gas up his tank for a while.I have to limit his miles though, he just gets gassed .Dogs can drink too much too soon and hurt themselves, especially with cold water. Never give a real hot dog real cold water.You were smart to cool her down though. Arla- WOW, that's HOT! My hat's off to ya. I was out tonight in 80* with 85% humidity and was wiped.Well yesterday's LR took alot outta me too. Good goin on your mileage and nice to see you over at the 1500m club! Once around the 5.1m reservior tonight and suprised that I had the energy that I did!! Take care everyone! Smile

Poor thing was doing the head bob for awhile. Then I found out what was going on with her, and my heart goes out to her. Sad story short - is a traveling nurse. Came home to find Hub had drained the accounts, kicked her out of the house, and wants a quicky divorce so he can married his Chinese girlfriend so she doesn't get kicked out of the country. This lady has been going from house to house staying with friends. There are a few fires east of us due to the lightening strikes over the weekend, but nothing close to us. Heard on the news there's a decent size fire down in the Napa Valley that they're struggling with. This whole state is really dry right now. The middle of the country is drowning, and we're burning up. Just doesn't seen fair, does it? Well, I'm off for a soak in the tub then hitting the hay early. Got my bike back, so I want to go for a long ride in the a.m. Now where in the heck did I put that headlamp??? Confused

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey folks! I've got a minute while DH is off to Home Depot for something-he-needs-to-finish-figuring-out-the- shed-kit with.....or something like that...you know, that 'guy working on something he's never done" mumbling..... Wow Arla! Shocked I would be positively melted in that heat!! I think I'll keep my cooler temps & higher elevation! Holy Crap Batman!Rehydration is a good thing! Big grin Both you & Joe are kickin' some major mileage butt!!! .......Of course, that would be behind Kelly! Wink Joe: good thinking w/stashing water!~ That was my major concern w/Mairead running off like that - that & the proximity of the highway! She's so new to all of this....I ordered one of these to give a try towards keeping her cool enough to keep running as much as possible during the Summer: http://www.coolvest4dog.com/shop.html & you wouldn't believe how much she seems to be "sucking up" today! Roll eyes I truly think I have a teenager on my hands!! Nice pics Jewels! Smile Glad you had a good time w/the Karaoke stuff....Luau's are always fun!~ Love the geckos! I have no ink....weinie that I am..... Carol: I agree that you need to be counting ALL of those doggie walks! miles is miles girl! Leslie: tell Karen to get some Cesar Millan stuff re: Charlie....& watch "The Dog Wisperer" to help figure out the separation anxiety thing....obviously, I'm not an expert! Roll eyes Got my butt up & out @ almost 6am for 5.10 w/Mairead....we both do much better in those temps! Laters, C
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Ultrachick

Good morning Everyone, Great race report Jim and congrats to you and Lynda. Sounds like a fun time was had by all. Jewels-love ther dress! and the geckos are cute too. I can't bring myself to get a tattoo-getting my belly button pierced when I turned 35 is the best I can do. Arla-here's a cold drink for running in that heat! I sort of have a below zero rule for here in VT. If I lived in FL then I'd have an over 95 rule of some sort. I am not a hot weather person. Cindy, Joe & Carol sounds like your dogs keep you busy! I'm not a dog person. Other people's dogs are fine but having one is not for me. I know, I'm scarring my kids for life for not having a pet. Big grin No dogs, cats, spiders etc..... Leslie-Find your headlamp? Too bad for that woman. Hopefully she'll get her life put back together and her husband will realize too late that the grass is not greener on the other side. Well, I guess I better find some work to do...have a good day! Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Top 'O the World!

R2: remember meeting James @ the BB?...well he ran Mt Evans Ascent this past wknd! Shockedhttp://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=904013#post904013 got sucked in by the computer this am....no run as yet....maybe I need to take a day off before Georgetown this weekend Wink
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

http://www.coolvest4dog.com/shop.htmlC
              Thanks for this Cindy .This looks cool (pun intended of course) . I'm checking it out. Let me know if you have more info or how it goes when you try it out.

Mornin' Folks - My first complete bike ride this a.m. 11.41 miles in 56:47. Because our roads have so many inclines and declines, it was hard keeping the ole HR within the aerobic zone, which means I'll probably be using the trainer more after our run next month. But I had a great time! Sure is different pedaling your butt up a hill as opposed to slogging it. I think my legs are going to be perty sore tomorrow, especially considering I did my PT exercises last night, as well. However, I think my knee is going to appreciate me not jumping up and down w/aerobics and running on it. Now if I could only do something about the saddle soreness . . . Undecided Cindy - Karen has hired the services of a dog trainer to help her with the separation and other issues. He's getting better, but it'll just take time. The one thing he does that drives us both nuts is he wants to lick you when he's nervous. Ugh! Kelly - Nope, haven't found the headlamp or my basically brand new reflector vest. It's the Running Goblins, I tell ya. They're messin' with me. And speaking of Running Goblins - Saturday after my run, I hung my hydration vest outside on the water hose holder to dry. Forgot about it. This morning I look outside, and there's my vest on the lawn. Turns out I left a little baggie of granola stuff in the pocket and something (probably 'coons) decided it wanted it. Luckily there was hardly any damage done, but it won't have heartburn or chapped lips as it destroyed both my Blistex and Rolaids!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

And a shout out to Ervryday, chuckling about your embarassing moment and better yet in how you handled it in the closed thread.
                  Thanks for the shout out R2... One of these days I'll have to share another embarassing moment, this one was with my wife, only this was several years before we were married. Speaking of married....tomorrow my wife and I are celebrating 25 years of marriage. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it....she's the best! No runs for me lately...had an issue with my back (it's all better now), and now the home improvement project just keeps getting bigger. I'm thankful that I've got a home and that I'm able to improve it! But a guy's gotta go for a run every now and then. Check my log and see if I don't get in a few miles by this coming Sunday. Jewels...Love the geckos. for father's day, my son got me a gecko thingy to hang on the backyard fence.
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Its been monday here for 2 days in a row. Yesterday morning I met a pickup pulling a fert trailer going 9 OH that threw a rock and shattered my windshield Angry Angrythat I just got replaced in my work pickup. I drive fast on the gravel, its my neck, but I dang sure slow down when I meet someone. Pivot problem child from race day was running about 8 hrs then stopping, finally found the problem 12 am Sunday nite, no fault but my own. Then the parts I ordered thurs for next day delivery showed up at 5 til 5 yesterday(mon) afternoon, new UPS driver's bad day got a lot worse Angry.Today got some pivots (irrigation) started and spent a couple hours installing parts I got yesterday on my sprayer. I got started spraying about noon, reloaded bout the time my big truck got home, above driver wanted to chat, don't have time. Start thru the field with the sprayer, no pressure Surprised, after an hour of troubleshooting found the little ball shaped rinsing nozzle was missing, presumably in the bottom of the tank of herbicide blocking the suction intake. Flew the pickup to town and bought some kind of a garden scratcher thingy and tied it to a piece of pvc pipe and fished said ball from tank on first try Big grin(even a blind hog finds the corn sometimes Big grin). Sprayer fixed finished the half I was on move to the other side and pivot didn't move far enough, part way thru the field Lynda calls says I won't miss pivot Shocked but committed now so dodge around pivot run over corn. No more probs, corn bin down to the scooping, Lynda loads, I scoop. Rant over, chivas about gone. I love what I do, don't get me wrong, I am even chuckling as I read the past 2 days events.Ya just got to endure it until the karma changes. I did get a quicky weight session in this morn, gonna run in the morn, man do I need this run. NO ill effects from the race, haven't run since but a little crosstraining Wink Wink. Happy aniversary EV!!! Arla thats running in tough conditions, u have my respect. Leslie, dang coons, could have been worse, actually suprised it wasn't alot worse. I know horse trainers that have uh rear end calluses, kinda whatcha need on a bike. Big grin jus teasin' Joe I can tell Bud has a good master. Smile Cindy was that the couple u introduced us to? wow what a run. We don't get Ceasar but watch some brit chick dog whisperer, Kiesha doesn't want us to watch that show. Wink Kelly,Thanks for the congrats, don't work too hard!! Jewels hope u are puttin' those geckos in motion without too much heat and humidity! Carol, I just have to make time for the runs, cheaper than shrinks. Hope the critters are behaving! bed time "maybe tommorow things will get better, if the devil lets loose of his soul" Chris LeDeoux Lyric

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Dang Farmer Jim.....lots of things going on your way. Glad your hip isn't acting up on ya especially with all the runs/races you've been doing. I guess you know how to manage it now. Knowing when to back off is the key to any injury I suppose. Yep, still plugging away thru the heat/humidity. No class this morning. Teacher had some personal stuff to tend to so I took advantage of the morning and did get a run in. I always check the weather report before I go run.....just a habit I suppose. Well, at 6 a.m. this morning it was 78 degrees (nice) with 91% humidity (not nice). Oh my Lord, that was tough. Off to work.....have a great day everyone! Jewels
                      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

4.2 m 61 degrees felt so good to be back out there. Jewels 91% humidity I would take one look at that and bag it. Smile good going tho. with my hip/SI thing it seems going long flares it more than going fast, get these races over we shall see about slowing down and going farther after a break for wheat harvest. The dew is off the wind is down, I better get to work.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Ya, it was really tough. 80% not too bad but.....in the 90% range? I think I weighed 10lbs. heavier when I got home because my clothes were that soaked! If you guys don't here from me in the next couple of days it's probably because I'm sitting behind bars in the local jail house for punching the living crap outta my daughters bf. No good, lying, lazy ars, S.O.B. Jewels
                          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Chris LaDeaux! That's who I need to add to my playlist!! Smile Yep, R2, James was one of the three people you met @ BB - not a couple - his wife & her hub were walking together in one of the last waves & I don't know whose kid Adam is, but he ran AB wave!....& James was in one of the fwd waves too.... Anyhoo! Happy Anniversary Evryday!!! Smile Wow! Congratulations! Bike to Work day here today....supposed to be 95*F/66% H. (brewing T-Storms every pm!) sooooo, I'm gonna take the scooter - btw, that has been soooo much fun!!! Big grin ....getting 113 mpg! I have somebody comment/look at it almost every day - even people rolling down their car windows in tfc to ask me questions! I'm gonna head over to the dealership & get business cards & ask for fundraiser donations in exchange for referrals! Wink 0620am 72*F/27% H 3.55 rolling miles @ 10:15 av pc/157 AHR felt friggin awesome! Big grin Yay!! Laters! C

Top 'O the World!

Ya, it was really tough. 80% not too bad but.....in the 90% range? I think I weighed 10lbs. heavier when I got home because my clothes were that soaked! If you guys don't here from me in the next couple of days it's probably because I'm sitting behind bars in the local jail house for punching the living crap outta my daughters bf. No good, lying, lazy ars, S.O.B.Jewels
                              First off, Jewels you RAWK!.....2nd off.....WHAAAT?!? spill girlfriend!
                                Happy Hump Day, Folks! Cindy - Great idea re the dealership. Business cards for donations. Very nice! Jewels - 90% humidity? Yuck! I would've crawled back in the shower. And yeah, what gives with the DD's BF? Don't leave us hangin' like that! We may need to come and help you pummel him to death! Farmer Jim - I was reading your post and shaking my head. I'm surprised you didn't pummel the UPS driver. Wink Joe - Yes, you definitely sound like a good pet dad. The Budster is one lucky 4-legged hairy creature. Does he go sailing with you? Evryday - Happy 25th Anniversary!! A quarter of a century. Wow! 6-mile progression run this a.m. Very heavy foggy. It may as well have been raining. Could definitely feel in my legs that I road my bike yesterday. Mile 5 (when I’m suppose to pick up the pace) went fairly well, but then again, most of it was at a decline. Mile 6 was tough, and I had a hard time keeping a steady faster-than-usual pace. But all in all not bad. 10:34 av pace with a 7:29 best. Tonight we clean out the back portion of our shed. Concrete Man coming Friday to pour a slab. He’s suppose to be there at 7:00, so I have been advised to be decent/dressed (our bedroom window looks out on the shed.) I countered with, well, maybe if I’m not, he’ll give us a break on the cost. . . . but then again, maybe the price would double . . . Blush

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance