Masters Running

The Eclipse Daily, 8.21.17 (Read 36 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I'm running out the door to a meeting...but I wanted to post my run...8 miles including 3 miles at tempo pace.

Okay--gotta go!  See ya!

BTY

This is a first for me! I am posting my afternoon run and evening walk during my evening walk. Any typos or other mistakes are the fault of my transcriber. I ran 4 miles  this afternoon ~ at my goal pace of 8:35/mile. Tonight I am walking around the high school track at a brisk pace for a half hour while my wife jogs and my daughter runs intervals.

Hi friends -- just popping in to say HI on the Eclipse Daily!!  I honestly wasn't thinking it was a big deal until it was actually happening.

We decided to bring in food to share and have a little party at work. Well, one of the nurses brought in a pair of the solar eclipse glasses and people just kept gathering in one of the empty rooms and sharing the glasses. It was actually pretty cool - both seeing the eclipse thru the glasses and seeing the joy and excitement it brought as people shared the glasses!!

I just finished working 4 12 hour shifts in a row -- baby's galore!! We were pretty busy all 4 days!! I used 1 vacation day this week and now have a full week off!! That's the best part of being able to block my schedule. I did manage to go in early Sat. morning and get a 4.4 mile run in before work. I switched up my pattern to a 9 min run/1 min walk and things felt pretty good.

Sunday 8/27 I have Ironman 70.3 in Old Orchard Beach - I am both excited and nervous at the same time!! Hope all my body parts (and my bike parts) hold up ok!!

Have a wonderful week my friends!!

denise

spacityrunner

Nice seeing you Deeze....

2.1 miles at sunset.  You know the kind, hhh.  No eclipse mania in my house.  I'll leave that to the pros like McSolar and DaveinAA.

Trails Rock!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

running - zilch

went eclipse swimming

with the ducks and geese instead.

eclipse

Having seen two prior full eclipses, I expected the 92% in Seattle to, at least, get a  little darker, at least like twilight but, though the sun stayed way to bright to look at, it did get noticeably cooler. The ducks and geese kept swimming around on the lake as if nothing was  happening. However, the crowd at Seward Park with us was definitely much more impressed.

Fortunately, on a whim that DW wasn't too enamored about, I added two for $2/each out of a big box of cardboard eclipse glasses to our grocery card at Fred Meyer a couple of weeks ago.  After hearing that the viewing glasses have to be certain ISO, I was pretty sure $2 would not  make the grade but when I checked this morning, sure enough, they complied and we could look directly at the moon slipping over the sun for more than an hour before our max at 10:21 a.m. and then another hour getting back to normal.  Now DW's a convert and can hardly wait to see it in full in 2024 too.  I hope so.

ps - was able to put the plastic eclipse lenses over the camera

to get great photos of an orange sun looking a lot like the ones

through the BC smoke of two weeks ago.

pps tammy - huh, you're down in Oregon

so much closer but only 94%?

Have 70.3 miles of fun Deez.

I'[m sure you will, . . .unless

your tryin' to beat your DS or something.

Great American Eclipse 2017. . 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Holly S. good for you and shame on your boss.

evanflein thanks for the link to the app! Sounds very nifty. I am going to give it a try.

As to the eclipse here is an actual conversation from Sunday between my DW and her BFF.

BFF are you going into work on Monday?

DW yes, why?

BFF the eclipse.

My DW could not believe anyone was thinking of taking the day off to see it right where they live. Me too to be honest. I mean maybe run outside for a bit like Holly S. but the whole day!? Here in CT the eclipse was a bit of a bust. When the moon was over the sun it was also cloudy. Not much to see. I took a peek every now and then. All you saw was a bright spot of cloud.

Nearly forgot, with the eclipse and going blind from peeking at it and all . . . I ran 20 this morning with 5 at marathon pace. Kind of damp out. No moon to block the sun either. Okay, okay no more eclipse jokes. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

In Ohio, we will get one more good eclipse on 4/8/24.  This is again a Monday, with maximum coverage at 2:17pm, right smack in the middle of our team meeting.  I feel a sick day coming on....

This made me laugh out loud.  Thanks!

The only reason we knew the sun was out around here is 'cause it was light.  Couldn't even see a hint of a glowing orb, let alone an orb that took 2nd fiddle to a smaller orb for awhile.  It did, however, give me the opportunity to ask one of the partners if we could get a light installed over the table next to the copier since it was so dark, which he approved - after telling me it was dark because of the eclipse.  . . . I know. 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

catwhoorg

Labrat

Ran 5 at lunch, biked 16 after work

Had a group of people outside on the patio at work, sharing our 97% view.

I did expect it to be darker based on prior eclipses.

Had a similar level in 1999, and recall a 50% or so in the early 80s

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18