Masters Running

40's on the run....First full week of Spring! (Read 437 times)

flatland mountaineer

2.8 with the class group then did 4 drills after. Jonathan told me to take a cutback week, no tempos and cut the long run down this week. Getting busy here now, going to be a challenge to get miles for awhile. Joe good to hear you are back out there, you have the mindset of a lifetime runner as described by LRNick Cool Leslie what can I say, congrats for a courageous finish in your race, does not sound like fun. Pt should help. goreous pic Arla, glad your getting back to normal, some of that stuff really hung on. My hip thing never completely goes away, but its under control. Jewels sounds like SI, is it mostly confined to one side or another? Cindy u ever done Bolder Boulder? Jim

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Cindy.....Heat? I've been putting the ice pack on the ole crack! Hmmmmm....and why am I sitting here lurking and typing when it hurts worse when I sit? Jewels
      Umm, yeah....I tend to use heat & gentle stretching for that type of relief....muscle cramp type/ overuse or older than 72 hr acute injury ~ soften tissue, incourage blood flow to relieve cramp & promote healing.....ice: for impact/tears/acute injuries to reduce inflammation & as analgesic....heat/ice alternate is also used secondary to ice only to speed heeling....Icy Hot or those thermo patches are great to take to work....just don't add a heating pad to any of these type of "chemical" heat treatments!! R2: Not yet....supposed to be on my "schedule" for this Spring Wink 0630 36* F/79% H heavy low cloud bank (snowing in Boulder!) calm winds damp face before I had a chance to get any kind of sweaty... 3.35 mosey Mairead miles before breakfast @ ave 12:30 pc...need to do my other 3.7 later for my schedule of 7....
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hi Kids ,sounds like it's time to start another "we're all nuts for running" kinda thread again! It sure sucks getting old,but it sure beats the alternative! Back to the bench for me.Was feeling good then after a 7 miler yesterday,knee is very sore again! Angry Sad Maybe it's just time to get a rocking chair!!!

Ultrachick

Hi Guys, It's been a busy week with constant changes-I've been reading but no time to post as well. I ended up taking Monday off (instead of Saturday), ran 8 on Tuesday (a little extra) and 8 on Wednesday (as planned) I was planning on 12 today but have now decided to do my last big long run tomorrow (26) so cutting back today to 6. 26 was planned for next weekend but on second thought it's too close to Boston-having a marathon on a Monday really screws things up! So I've revised my training plan-given myself some more days off, a taper I feel better about-just get me to the start line so I can get this over with! I'm ready to get back on the trails-the pictures of Leslie's 30K are gorgeous! Take care! Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - what a bummer! Maybe you just need to ramp down for awhile. It looks like you ramped up your miles pretty quick? Arla

Ex runner

Kelly - I'm getting nervous for you. But you'll do great! Give me the exact date so I can keep track on the computer that day (instead of steadily working as I probably should be . . . ) Joe - I've always been told that you should have at least 3 days of absolutely no pain before trying to run again. Give yourself a break, but keep your rearend outta the rocking chair. Cindy - Before stretching, I take a nice hot shower, if the heater's on I stand in front of it, and/or I'll sit with a heating pad for awhile. I learned my lesson awhile back about stretching a cold muscle. Messed up my hammie. Something else the PT told me re my hip flexor. When the problem finally sets into the "hip flexor" area, it actually starts way up in the belly muscle, over to whatever muscle runs between your hip bone area and the top of your pelvic area, and down. He said, "This is gonna be uncomfortable," then mashed deep into the belly muscle in the right - Yeowch!! It was quite tender. Then he smiled like a devil Evil grin and said, "See?" I really like this guy. He's got a great attitude. Also added a stern warning about ensuring that the sports massage therapist I go to understands those muscles and doesn't cause any damage. Interesting. Jewels - I second the heat or alternating ice/heat 20 minutes at a time. Gets the blood flowing back to the injured area much sooner. Just remember when you use ice to move very carefully until the area is warmed up again. I used to do contrast baths for my hands. Maybe you could hop in and out of a hot tub and a cold tub?!?!? Smile Farmer Jim - What if you run behind the tractor?? 5 mile tempo run this morning in 51:02 = 10:12 average pace, with fastest pace at 6:55. Gotta love the slight downhill sections!! My legs are still pretty pooped and weren't too happy with my trip upstairs here at work, but at least I didn't feel completely like I wanted to die. Also marked my water bottle at 6 oz intervals and took that with me this a.m. to get an idea of what drinking 6 oz is like. Wow! First, I was probably only drinking 3-4 oz each time on the trail run. Second, with the warmth I probably should've been drinking at least 6 oz if not more. Now I know why I felt like crappola. Live and learn!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I just got my training schedule for April for the 50k in May . . . . . I'll survive this, right? Helen Reddy - sing it for me babe! "I am woman hear me roar!"

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

you should have at least 3 days of absolutely no pain before trying to run again. Thanks for that Leslie.I needed some kind of reference point.I have been thinking that as soon as it feels better,I'm out there doing more.You're right too ,Arla, too much too soon me thinks. Tongue

Queen of 3rd Place

Kelly - you're doing a 26 long run three weeks before your marathon? Have you done that before? Just curious since I was thinking of trying the same thing. Leslie - The hill profile of your 50K can't be anything like those Stairway to Hell photos in your RR...you're gonna be fine. And gag me, girl, drinking 6 oz of water at a pop makes me puke it right back up (and shock any bystanders)...I have to do 2 - 4 oz, and quite frequently. Arla

Ex runner

saltyd

Hi Everyone, Man I've missed logging on and reading about everyone's great workouts and stuff. My work has been non stop (which is where I tend to get on this great site). Then when I'm at home in the evenings and weekends I am always having my to-do list take over. It looks like on the whole everyone is still out there putting the miles on their bodies. I've had my good weeks and bad for getting out the door. I am leaving tomorrow to fly up to Santa Rosa to visit family and then particiapte in the Napa Valley Trail 1/2 Marathon. I'm looking forward to the cooler weather and the scenery.We've been in the upper 80s and low 90s already here in Phoenix. I hope everyone stays injury free, or gets quick relief and recovery from injuries. Hopefully I can read and share more again. Salty
                      Saltyd Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.
                        Welcome back, Salty! We've missed you. Good luck with your 1/2. It's suppose to be in the mid to high '60s in Napa this weekend with some cloud cover. It should feel like heaven to you after the '80s and '90s! Arla - Drinking 6 oz at once was a bit ick. I'll have to drink more often to get that much in me every 15 minutes. Guess I'll just have to run down the trail with the tube from the bladder attached to my mouth! I'm also going to try "real food" on my practice runs instead of granola and Luna bars. Picked up some mini crackers w/cheese, pretzels, and will boil and cut up potatoes. Also found that Welches makes these fruit piece things that have a lot of carbs in them. Carbs, carbs, carbs - one of the reasons I run!! Could never give them up!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Arlahile-I had to check but yes, last year I ran 26 m 4 weeks out from my first marathon of the year. If you've looked at my long you'll see I'm not really setting any land speed records. I train by heart rate and if I'm not doing any specific speed work then I park myself at the top of zone 2 or base pace which for me is a heart rate of 150 bpm or below. Yes, I'm walking up hills and if I'm being really anal I have to be careful not to walk too fast up the hill because it would send me over 150. So here's the sick household I live in with my boyfriend Jack who runs a lot also. He's training for Boston as well but also he's really starting to get ready for the VT100 in July. He's running 100 miles this week with a long run of 30 miles. He's only up to 51 as of today, so he has 3 days to get the last 49. He'll taper for Boston by being down to 80 miles the week before. He runs everyday except the day after a 100 mile race. Leslie-My bib # for Boston is 18150. I'll list you in my follow the runner so you'll get emails sent to you on my progress. It's just a training run for longer distances this summer. Running Boston has never really been on my radar but since I qualified I figured I might as well do it once. And that deep abdominal muscle, I believe, is the transverse abdominus-it wraps around the bikini line, under your rectus abdominus (the six pack abs muscle) with the ends attaching to either side of your spine, not directly but in that general area-it helps hold all of your insides in. Pilates focuses on strengthening this muscle quite a bit. My anatomy isn't perfect so if anyone wants to clarify it better go ahead. Joe-Going from 23 to 43 to 55 might not have been the best plan to follow Big grin Get some rest so you're not out all summer! Cindy and Jewels, take care, Kelly
                          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                            Kelly - Yes, I'd say that's a sick household you live in. Wink Cripes, I'd be happy if my hub would just get off the couch and walk around the block once in awhile. If you email me at fatozzig@yahoo.com, I will send you a different email to add to your follow-the-runner list. One that I check often throughout the day. It'll be fun to watch your progress. That muscle you talked about - I'm gonna talk to my PT about better strengthening exercises. My hip flexor area started bugging me again this a.m. on my run. My schedule for April has me with only one day off - Sundays. I guess even God got to rest one day a week! Back-to-back long runs on Fridays and Saturdays with Saturdays being trail runs. This is gonna get interesting.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

It sure sucks getting old,but it sure beats the alternative! Back to the bench for me.Was feeling good then after a 7 miler yesterday,knee is very sore again! Angry Sad Maybe it's just time to get a rocking chair!!!
                              Joe: In addition to Leslie's "3-pain-free-days" you maybe need to be icing it as soon as you're done too! & vitamin I to help reduce inflammation..Kinesiologist??....Skip the rocking chair...You're not nearly old enough for that!!! Wink met a guy @ my running group last night...running w/his approx 25 yr old grandson...looked about 80ish...NOT in a rocking chair! Smile Kelly: I was told that the training schedule didn't need to be quite that "day specific"...like trading up long runs, speed work, tempos - on days that work better for you, ~ the jist is to get the work done over the general time period...& I have two training programs from"experts" that include a 26 mile LR approx 3 wks before the race...others only go up to 20 miles two wks before w/those proponants stating that it isn't necessary to train all the way up to 26 as the energy of race day will carry you....I dunno....I'm thinking of using one of the ones that includes the 26 miler as I still have over 6 mos to train...so I'm gapping it out w/more rest days. Leslie: I agree w/Arla on the fluid intake...drink less/more often!! but maybe try both to see how it works best for you....There was a marathon RR from Soundrunner, I believe, talking about this very thing...something like, "learning to sip constantly" ...or something like that! & the nutrition & Hydration in the days/weeks leading up to the race is waaay more important than so much on race day....not that that isn't important too!! Wink This is one of the main things that concerns me...& why I'm likely to do a 26m LR in prep...to help me find my N/H rhythm...see, I run my mornings - up to 7-8 miles - best on empty! 1/2 cup coffee, 10-12 oz water & out I go...Although, I've been working w/diluted oatmeal as much as possible - I prefer to just eat breakfast when I get back....Several trainers that I've been reading advise NOT to do that Confused But I'd read of alot of runners on CR that talked about that...that you're running primarily on the fuel/water of the eve & days before...so, dinner the night before is more important than breakfast that morning for fueling your am run, conversely, if you're an evening runner, breakfast is your most important meal.....& I really do a good job of drinking plenty of water throughout the day, everyday...just maybe not enough whilst out on said run! Blush I guess this is just part of our "training program" huh!?........Re: the Illio-psoas work that your guy "exposed" you to....I do that! Evil grin Regularly! & the hot stones on the IT band & whatever else my "athletes" need.......it is much easier to do this work on leaner bodies...(mostly my runners/tri's)... Notes: Irish Snug Runners....my Garmin is still measuring it a bit short 2.98?? maybe I cut corners somewhere? Oh well. Parking is becoming a problem..& I don't like leaving Mairead 2 blks away while I sign in & eat...I may need to find a way to get there earlier for better parking options...the group is really growing! I started out w/the "lead" folks...too many of them/congestion on the sidewalks - especially w/Mairead trying to run ahead of me! Although people seemed pleased w/her Smile I stopped @ the porta potty in the park for 2 mins, which dropped me out of the lead pack...not a bad thing..then I slowed to chat w/a new girl moving at maybe a 15 min pc for .5-.75 mile, then picked it up for the rest bringing in an ave 10:47 (according to Garmin) pc w/best being 7:38!! Woo-Hoo! Spent the afternoon "grazing" small amts w/drinking bottles of water alter w/green tea, including 1/2 doz. Hershey's miniatures..& one granola bar (1/2 pkg) 30 mins or so before the run & felt really good - other than I had a vague need to pee @ the start...I'm also thinking that it may be that the Thursdays that I get an am run in, the pm run goes better... I signed up for the Bolder Boulder bus, so maybe I'd better sign up for the race! Supposed to do 7 today...I'm still sitting in front of the computer... Blush Roll eyes & it's cold & damp outside Undecided I've already mentally shifted into Spring Big grin Ciao!
                              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hi Guys~ Salty- Good to see you man! Good luck on that half,that sounds like fun! Kelly- very impressive running and your point is well taken.I did ramp it up a bit too fast with my 20 miler thrown in there.Good Luck with your training runs and to your SO as well! Very impressive. Arla- that's a really beautiful picture and brings back memories for me.I used to be stationed in Alameda and would ride my bike(as in bicycle) up there.Sounds like you're being very smart with your running. Leslie- that sounds like some plan you have!Wow, that's alot of miles on alot of days.Sounds like you're learning alot from all this.Thanks for relaying it to us.Very interesting. Cindy-that's some awesome long range plan for you too! Keep up the good work.How far do you plan on running Máiréad with you?I have had Buddy up to 16m without a problem.He could do another 160m but for me the infrequent stops get to be too much.Actually,it's not the stopping that hurts,it's the getting going again!On real long runs,I run him on a loop close to home,for about 8 miles,then drop him home and complete it.I don't have the heart to leave him home altogether! Cry Jewels-hope your back is feeling better.Not getting any warmer here,but soon I hope. R2- good job listening to your running coach/editor guy.Don't work too hard and be careful with that equipment! TGIF !! Big grin