Masters Running

Wednesday, 2.8.17 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I don't know what was going on, but I couldn't log onto RA for about an hour this morning.

Yesterday's excellent workouts:

Stumpy (pre-snow 4 miles in breezy and balmy 32F temps)

Tramps (12 by the river in 60F temps that dropped, with the wind chill, all the way to 58)

Lamerunner (a bit over 5 miles and ankle-deep in new snow on a ail train in VT)

TW (60 min. "life is good" pool running with Claire)

Leslie (5 very windy, post 'cry baby soup' miles with headwinds on the way back)

Holly (5.4 TM miles)

Jlynne (5 miles + 20 min. of upper body & core)

Spacityrunner (2.6 post-thunderstorm miles in warm as all get out)

Lamerunner, nice to have you back, and thanks for the updates on your and DS. I'm glad his eye surgery went well, and that he continues to improve. I'm also surprised that his first approved activity was running vs. skiing, but what do I know?

Good idea to give that PF a rest, Evanflein. Is one day enough?

Leslie, congrats on getting a refund for canceling out of the Mendocino 50, and for ordering a TENS to help with your hammie.

Can't help you with input on the Newtons, C-R, except to say they look weird to me.

Good luck with Friday's job interview, Mike!

Yes, I'm still, as Holly pointed out, having problems with my nuts.  I didn't have any time to work on it yesterday, but we did get some snow, so I took out the snowblower and sort of helped to hold that one side up a little higher which was not really all that effective, but was very tiring. I have a mid-day, mid-state meeting today, and I may head home after that to make myself more nuts working on that nut because we are supposed to get 5-8+ inches of snow tomorrow so it sure would be nice to have the snowblower working properly.

The roads were in carpy shape this morning after yesterday's snow and sleet. Even with my Yaks on, the footing was still tricky and slippery, but was better on the crunch stuff than the smooth stuff. I thought for sure that the noise from walking on the crunchy stuff was going to wake the neighborhood because it seems so dang loud. Just to make it extra-special, there was sleet/freezing rain to keep me company. 3.1 interesting miles.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mornin' everyone.

I don't know what was going on, but I couldn't log onto RA for about an hour this morning.

Yep, same here. Sorry your nuts are still giving you a hassle Jay!

Good luck Mike! You deserve a job where you're appreciated for all of your hard work, and paid accordingly (ditto that for Steve)

My left heel continues to be a problem, and I decided to be smart like Erika and quit running for a few days. So - an hour on the elliptical (which doesn't seem to cause any commotion), 10 minutes on the rower and 20 minutes of weights and core this morning. I don't think standing on concrete for four hours every day prepping and serving lunch is helping this heel issue much. May be time to retire...

Happy Hump Day everyone!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Something was weird either with the weather report or the actual weather this morning.  My weather app said that it was going to be 45 this morning, so I set out shorts and lighter shirts.  DW get up a bit before me and said everything froze overnight--it's 26 out   I took this as a sign and went back to bed for another hour.  when I left for work, after chipping a lot of ice off my car, started to get on the highway, and saw a jeep that had gotten on just before me spin into the center barrier and then sort of coast over to the right breakdown lane .  At that point, even though I hadn't felt much in the way of slipping, I put my flashers on and crawled to the next exit and went back home.  Checking out the morning news, I discovered THIS on the morning news.  That was about a 1/4 of a mile before I get on.  So I'm at home, waiting for the ice to melt a little.  Still supposed to be in the 50's later today.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

lamerunner

Weird weather here too; a coating of ice on the car and temps just above freezing, so some slippery roads.  ON bad weather mornings, the State of VT sends these weird emails to state employees kindly pointing out that they have determined the weather is not bad enough to delay opening or close state offices but it is bad enough that roads may be lousy and we should allow extra time. Thanks a lot!

After chopping the ice off my car, I went for a swim, about 1350m. I will be in NH tonight; hoping to run in the morning if its not too icy.

I am impressed by those of you running 50ks, 100 milers etc. Yikes. I think even marathons are done for me at this point.  Maybe I crank up the biking next summer...

Tramps

Yup, RA was out this morning.  Glad we're back.

Ouch.  Tough weather and traffic pile-ups.  Not pretty.

I'm told (by environmental science folks) that, in some ways, weather forecasts--even short-term ones--are becoming less reliable.  That's because they base their predictions on historical weather data.  However, climate change has been introducing new weather patterns that are not typical of that historical data, thus the unpredictability.  In particular, weather variability and extremes seem to be becoming more common.

It sure feels that way around here lately.  At 73F, DC broke the temperature record for yesterday...by a whopping 9 degrees!  It was already in the 60s for this morning's run and tomorrow's temp is supposed to be 30 degrees lower than today.  Roller coaster.

Out for a sweaty 6 today.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good luck on the job interview Mike!!

Scary roads Stumpy!

I bought MBE's daughter an ice scraper when she moved to the east coast.  Apparently she has used it a few times!

Yesterday I shoveled the heavy, wet snow from my driveway.  Not sure why, as it will just melt by the end of today.  As a reward my industriousness, I woke up today with a very stiff, sore lower back.  I won't be running.

Tonight I am taking MBE out for dinner and to see a band.  It's his birthday tomorrow, and today is the last day we are both nominally the same age - until my birthday next January of course.

Happy running for those of you able to do so today!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Morning All!

good luck on the job interview Mike. anyone would be lucky to have you on board and if you do get the job, then you'll need to have a celebratory dinner out somewhere. Now that Debbie's month long bday celebration dinners are over, you are probably missing all the nights out. 

just 3 for me last night and leading the C25K group tonight after work. Supposed to rain all day but hoping I catch a break because I'll just have enough time to do the run, go back to my office to clean up and change clothes and then off to give a talk to our local Kennel Club chapter. But these folks are used to being around dogs, so hopefully an odor I might have won't be offensive.

oh, eta: DH got his biopsy results back from suspected skin cancer on his scalp. no cancer. so that was a relief.

Tammy

Now that Debbie's month long bday celebration dinners are over, you are probably missing all the nights out. 

And Jay's nut issue.

It's never boring in here.

Weather - we have rain, rain, rain, and then more rain.  No, I'm not complaining.  I'm not, I'm not, I'm not.

Turned off the alarm at 4:30, woke up at 5:45.    I'm going to leave work early to get my workout in this evening.  I'll just tell them I have an appointment. 

Our office runner, who gives everybody fits and the support staff isn't quite sure why she hasn't lost her job, failed to go to Coscto and get coffee like she was supposed to have done for almost a week now.  There was enough for half a pot.  There are 23 people in this  office. I'm guessing her job is on the line now more than ever. 

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

oh, eta: DH got his biopsy results back from suspected skin cancer on his scalp. no cancer. so that was a relief.

Glad to hear it, Tammy, and I hope that your other health issues are resolved soon too!

So I've been doing taxes for people the past two days and have come to appreciate the difficulty in trying to live on what some of these folks are getting. Many of them don't owe any taxes at all, but do get back some refundable credits from the state. It's touching to see how happy they are just to get back $150 that they didn't have before.

No need for a weather report since all I did was two miles on a TM at the gym, but it is looking more and more that this will be one of those winters when the X-C skis never come out of the closet. We went snowshoeing once and that was it. And of course when we get into the late winter period, going out in the snow is just less appealing (assuming that we get any!). Still looking forward to our winter getaway in a few weeks.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Our office runner, who gives everybody fits and the support staff isn't quite sure why she hasn't lost her job, failed to go to Coscto and get coffee like she was supposed to have done for almost a week now.

Wait, aren't you the office runner?

Be safe. Be kind.

Yep, same here. Sorry your nuts are still giving you a hassle Jay!

...I don't know, and I don't WANT to know......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

I haven't done anything since the race on Sunday.  Monday was the drive back, yesterday was a rest day, and today is a blah day. Feeling a little rundown and a slight sore throat. Probably lowered my resistance to disease by running further than I was properly prepared for and then wrestling with two granddaughters (aka germ factories) all day after the race.

Tomorrow is a blood test at work. I hate those. I come close to passing out around needles and at the lab I always ask for the recliner, but at work it is an assembly line system and there is nothing I can do but warn them that I may fall out of the chair. They just smile and say I will do fine. Then they have to rush extra people over to steady me.  EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I was 17 of 24 in my age group and 500 hundred something out of 900 something overall.

I quit Facebook the day after the inauguration because I just couldn't stand the idiotic posts anymore. But today I needed to sign in to something using Facebook and it reactivated my account. I took a look to see all I had missed in 2 weeks, and nothing is changed. In addition to not being able to trust the truth of any link, people just belittle each other. It is a horrible place.

Wait, aren't you the office runner?

And collapse of the universe as we know it.  Someone showed up with coffee.  All is right with the world again . . ..

. . . except Facebook, Dave.  I'm "hiding" so many posts now, it's a wonder I'm seeing anything. 

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Stumpy - looks like you made a good decision going back home.

Mike - keeping my fingers crossed for you...

Dave - good luck with the bloodwork tomorrow.  Re: FB, I mostly skim about ten minutes, twice a week, but ignore anything political.  I like the funny pet videos and baby/grandbaby/family pics.

Leslie - no coffee?  AAAUUUUGGGHHHRRRR!!!

Just 5 miles for me today on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I hope jay doesn't strip down too beforehand as Mr. Computer was doing last week.

Now lamerunner's goin'g for a swim after scraping ice off the car.

However, having used to have skied and raced like your DS's doin',

I fully understand why alpine skiing would be a thousand times worse than runnin'.

Back to the five-mile walking 'mutes, this morning at 37o.in a misty drizzle.

Wet snow on grassy glades and fields'll be gone by tomorrow morning

so I re-rolled the snowmen in the yard for some extra densification

to last a little longer this time, . . . . I hope.  We'll see.

With grass stayin' green all-year-long here,

it's always strange to see the remnant

snowmen on green lawns.

Weather forecasting out on the Pacific Coast seems to be better

than in the past.with the offshore weather patterns in the satellite

images seeming to come ashore more-and-more as predicted.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)