Masters Running

Pre Turkey Tuesday 11/26/19 (Read 40 times)

Late start for me today.  Tammy- that's a shame about the car, but I'm glad he's OK!   Joe- I can't see your picture, either.  I'll try from my phone.

I felt generally OK last night from the 2nd shingles vaccine and had hopes that I would sail through this dose.  It wasn't to be.  Woke up this morning just feeling exhausted-  not sleepy- but just wanting to lie around.  I had decided to take a day off from work (work from home as needed), which was a good thing.   Finally got out the door around 11:30 to try a run and was able to to it-  it just felt harder than usual.  3.8 miles done.   This shingles shot is no joke!

Vinyl records have made a comeback, right?   Nothing was sweeter growing up than getting a new album or "45".

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Vinyl records have made a comeback, right?

Well....maybe not so much.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tammy -   Wow!  So glad David is okay.  Hopefully, the insurance company will be able to find the driver.  If he was driving a company truck, I'd say there's a better chance of getting a settlement.

KSA - I've been trying to convince The Hub to talk to his doc about the shingles vaccine.  When we were first married, he had a couple of episodes of what we were told was shingles on his forehead.  That was bad enough.

All this electronic stuff has my head spinning . . . .

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

a vinyl store moved about 1 mile and is now closer to us - but mainly see browsers not purchasers

walked this morning and biked downtown to library (in the 50's) and was going to add mileage along the Charles but when I turned the corner the wind gusts hit me so I just went the 5 miles home into the wind - I had when you're going downhill and have to pedal!

Joe - can't see the picture; Tammy - glad David's ok - the most important outcome

we only have 2 radios in our 2 bedroom condo, but the  Sonos is strong enough for all the rooms!

marj

BTY

Tet said,

Being able to swim in the winter that was impossible in the days before indoor pools still boggles my brain, . . . almost as much as running in the winter too that used to be something I only did in the summer. 

Indoor pools have been around for a while now. The first ones I can find reference to, in modernity, were in London, in 1837.  They had at least 6 of them then.

Just how old are you, anyway? 

Leslie- most of the doctors around here don't carry the vaccine (the new one- which is 97% effective).  You have to go to a pharmacy or Sam's etc to get it.  It's 2 doses and everyone over 50 is supposed to get the 2 doses.  Apparently shingles is THE WORST so anything that will prevent getting it should be utilized.  It's just a tough couple of shots and has been in short supply.

BTY

BTY, your swimming amazes me.  I love to swim but I'm just not very good at it.  I spend a lot of time hanging on to the edge at the end of each length.  Maybe one of these days I'll figure out the breathing but I'm not there yet.

I don't have very many regrets in life - Life is Too Short - but if I have one, it is that I quit swimming when I was 12 years old and discovered that I wasn't the fastest 12-year-old swimmer on the planet.  It took me 42 years to get back in the pool for fitness and some competition.  If you love to swim, whether you or good or not is beside the point at this stage of our lives.  My best advice to you is to make yourself as "long" in the water as you can...relax...and roll from side to side more than you think you need to.   (That makes the breathing way easier.)  If you currently need to rest at literally every length of the pool, challenge yourself to do 2 lengths without resting, just one time.   Then do it again.   Get used to that, and then build up to 3 and then 4.   Most of our barriers are self-imposed.

Brian

Tramps looks like a graph of a lot of items that are toted as seeing a "boom" in sales.

I am really proud of myself. I cleared out most of my inbox! It started at just over 300 this morning and is now down to 32. Hurrah for me! Other than that, it was an hour on the elliptical.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

leslie - yes, at least with a trucking company you know there is insurance coverage and good limits. Hopefully they can track it all down and the truck's insurance carrier is easy to work with and doesn't put up a big fight for a couple thousand. 

Tet - we do have the OSP DMV crash report to fill out which is mandatory for accidents involving over 2500 in property damage, so we'll go ahead and fill it out even though we don't know yet if the damage exceeds that amount. We did tell David that when he was not able to get the semi to notice him and pull over, he should have pulled over and called 911 and there's a chance that another motorist that saw it would have also pulled over. 20/20. always easy to say that now but not necessarily something he was thinking of in the moment.

Tammy

KSA - Shingles are horrible.  My mom had them a couple of times on her head, my niece had it around her torso, and my buddy's mom got them around her torso.  I don't remember about my mom or niece, but it took months for my friend's mom to get over it, then you have to wait X-number of months from the onset to get the vaccination.

Had my phone appt with my doc.  He still thinks the knots should be removed, so I'm waiting to schedule the surgery.  He talked about trying injections, blah, blah, blah, and I basically said I'm tired of this, I want them out and he agreed.  Re the labrial tear - scoping to see if there's an actual tear AND taking out the suture knots would be a lot in one go, so he wants to wait and see if removing the knots fixes what's currently ailing me.  So I'm going to do a lot of praying and finger-crossing that the supposed tear ends up being a non-issue.  I'm really tired of this . . .

On a positive note, it is windy and our lights at work keep flickering.  Everyone is keeping their fingers crossed the power goes out. 

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I BEAT THE STORM!

Did an unusual (for me) 11am run and never broke the first rule.

5.25 @ 7:54

Then went and did a few errands; life accomplice said that if I wanted ham I'd have to go get it myself, so I did. She spent 10x on a very small turkey what all of you spent on a large turkey, because hers is organic free range cruelty free certified Diestel and comes with a record of it's life's progress from egg to now (almost). Sigh. I bite my tongue often.

Here's my rant: Vinyl is over-rated. In every blind listening test even self-titled audiophiles cannot tell the difference between a CD and a record better than chance would allow. People who insist there is better quality sound from vinyl (analog) are simply repeating an urban myth. Records are frail and unwieldy. The playback equipment is easily damaged. BUT there is something nostalgic about the ritual of pulling an LP out of it's sleeve and preparing it to play on a turntable, adjusting the needle to the right spot and lowering it, and hearing those first scratchy notes come through. By FAR the most important part of a stereo system is the speakers, you should spend at least half your total budget on the speakers, if not 80%. And decent $50 headphones (not earbuds) will almost always sound better than $1000 speakers. It's physics.

And now CD's are going the way of the 8-track tape. More and more people get their music by downloading it, often just "borrowing" it and never owning a hard copy to have and hold and listen to even when the internet goes down.

Shingles suck, I had them when I was a freshman in college for a couple months. Luckily they have never come back.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

wildchild

Carolyn

Luckily, our big snowstorm only gave us maybe 8" - they got two or three times that much within 50 miles of here!  I shoveled and plowed, and we're good to go. I'm counting that as my workout today.

I guess I should get that shingles vaccine.  My DH got the first dose, and felt bad for a few days. He can't get his 2nd dose till after his leukemia treatment is finished, because his immune system isn't working right.  I'm also supposed to get a flu shot (even though I never get either the shot or the flu) because if I DID get the flu, it would expose DH to the virus.

Tammy, glad to hear David is okay.  That sounds scary!

BTY, I used to like swimming, back when my parents had a pool when I was in high school.  I don't like most public pools because of all the chlorine, though.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Did just enough slow jogging on the treadmill this evening to get the MOVE ring closed on my Apple watch.....  The rain has moved in and the male doggie is anxious (even without lightening and thunder). 

Joe618

Bill, ditto on your vinyl rant...I'm with you on that one. Buy good speakers. 

Got in a pleasant 7.1 miles just now, after work in the fading sunlight.   A big storm is a-brewin' but I got done ahead of it, even as the wind picked up throughout.   Abs tomorrow, then a couple of Turkey Trots on Thursday morning, which looks to be calm and low 30s...that's all good.

DS3 and wife are due in late tonight from Des Moines...will be good to have them here until Saturday.

Enjoy your evening all!!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Joe618

And let me try again with different tools on the image I tried to post earlier:

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.