Masters Running

Marathon Monday, April 21 (Read 821 times)

dg.

Ribs, welcome to Michigan. Smile PJ & Ilene made it in. phew. I can't type another key.

King of PhotoShop

I'm happy for Ilene. I remember before the race she expressed concerns about what her time would be, that she would be slow etc., but she did great on a very tough course. Well done Ilene. Spareribs
      TammyinGP

Ilene did great! And the advantage to taking longer on the course is that you get to savor the entire experience for a longer period of time! congratulations Ilene!!

Tammy

seemomgo

Well done to all of the Boston runners! I just got home from my short little 3 miler and checked the posts - again, a big THANK YOU to Vista!!!!! You da man! I am so excited to read reports! I was ticked off that the tv waited for Lance Armstrong to finish and then switched to fishing. What's that all about? I think he's a great guy and all, but to make that big of a deal about him at Boston? There are a lot better stories out there! My 2 cents.
          TammyinGP

I agree seemomgo . . . I too was disappointed that they focused on Lance after the elites came in and then stopped coverage. I'm curious what other celebrity-types were running this? I do think of Lance as more than a 'celebrity' though . . . just wondering if there were celebrities there keeping a low profile. anyone know how many thousands are registered for boston? and then approx how many bandits are on the course as well? I was talking to my husband this a.m. and he had no idea that a marathon like boston started in corrals and waves like this. He had heard that it took some runners 1.5 hrs to get across the start line. I started explaining how boston has staggered starts like this. He thought everyone just lined up and ran Tongue He asked how many people ran in this and I really didn't know what to guess? so I won't even say what my estimate was, for fear of embarrassing myself with some idiotic number! LOL

Tammy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yes, thank you Vista for all your hard WORK today!! Welcome to Michigan Spareribs - we warmed it up for you. ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

They claim to take 25,000 runners at Boston. There always are celebrities.....a couple of the Red Sox players had their wives running. Republican Mike Huckabee was registered to run but backed out for some reason over the weekend. The little town of Hopkinton is the start line for the Marathon. You would be surprised to see how narrow the road is at the start of the race. The route goes through a lot of residential area to start with no real place to expand the width of the road. The holding areas themselves are a fair distance from the start line and not in view. Corrals and wave starts is really the ONLY way this would work. The TV following of Lance is purely because his name sells. It is nothing against the man, but is disappointing that he becomes noteworthy in a race that has so many great participants and stories behind them.
                Vista
                TammyinGP

thanks. I wasn't too far off in my guess . . . I overestimated by about 5K Roll eyes

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey, pretty cool that one of our own beat Lance Armstrong, and another came darm close Smile I had a link, but it wasn't correct. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hey folks! I am home...and very, very pleased. Tired and need a shower...I'll report the details later after a Mr. CNYrunner dinner special and some wine. I loved scanning this too and will look carefully when I am all scrubbed clean. This was a master's PR for me by almost 4 minutes. Great to see some other great performances out there too. You all carried me through the miles today! THANKS! Until soon, Karin/CNYrunner
                        Congrats to all Boston boomer gods and goddesses. What a fun time I had tracking your terrific achievements online today. And what perfect timing - long break between lessons this morning and an assembly this afternoon during which I bailed on my classes and "worked" with the librarian to finish up a presentation - she worked on one computer while I followed everyone's times on another! I was officially discharged by the podiatrist today with, "I don't want to see you again except on the track." (He belongs to a running club that does track workouts at the high school in the district where I teach.) So my orthotics are officially right and it really is up to me now to find out how good I can become at this running thing. I'm amazingly motivated as a result of spending so much time in this fantastic virtual company. Off to run 5 miles now so that I can take a rest day tomorrow to start reading the race reports! Ribs - thanks for the shout out. I would have followed YOUR time during your 3.3 online as well, but couldn't find the right web site. Roll eyes Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

Jlynne

CNY Runner - you were awesome! And a PR to boot! I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now. Have a good time this evening - that dinner and wine is well earned. Thanks to Vista for keeping us all up to date on everyone's progress. I agree with everyone's posts: it seems a little annoying that Lance Armstrong gets all the publicity when there are probably some fantastic human interest stories that they could have followed (Bob being one of them). Our RA Boston group must be tired and proud. Enjoy your rests, people. We're looking forward to everyone's recaps tomorrow. Jeanne
                            Great job to all the Bostonians! Great news Eliz!
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              A nice 3.49 mile run in a soft rain this evening. I am happy to report I finished in less time than any Boston Marathon runner did their 26.2 miles. The following runners from our group ran the Marathon today FASTER than the time they posted as their Boston Qualifying time. busiman......................qualified at 3:08:44......today was 3:06:17.........better by 2:27 johnmaas....................qualified at 3:12:09......today was 3:09:50.........better by 2:19 CNYrunner...................qualified at 3:29:31.....today was 3:26:37.........better by 2:54 rtravers......................qualified at 3:46:00.....today was 3:43:30.........better by 2:30 Evanflein.....................qualified at 3:52:35.....today was 3:38:48.........better by 13:47 Flying Finn...................qualified at 4:05:37.....today was 4:03:12.........better by 2:25 Congratulations to each one but special note to Erika. Were you sandbagging?.....or did you simply finally thaw out? In any case, that is an incredible time.
                              Vista
                              dg.

CNY, so good to hear from you... thanks for taking the time to post! Enjoy your shower & your well deserved dinner special. (wtg, Mr. CNY). Congratulations on your pr. it was awesome watching you move across those markers.. Congratulations to each one of you. Thanks for giving the rest of us an incredible day. I know I can't really know how much work & planning this took for you until I do it myself, but I'm impressed and amazed by what you accomplished. Ilene, I hope my "phew" didn't come out wrong! I felt like I couldn't rest until at least all those I was tracking had finished, & my arm was numb. Great job!!! how's your shoulder? Eliz, so happy you finally have those feet straightened out. Can't wait to see what happens next. Smile vista, thanks again for keeping us updated, that was a lot of work. it was nice spending the day with ya'll