Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 10.30.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm sorry, but I haven't read the weekend's posts, and have no time for recapping this morning. However, I did scan the weekend's RRs, and there appears to have been some excellent racing this weekend, so a huge CONGRATS to all!

The main reason I'm behind this morning is that we had a wicked rain and wind storm come through last night, and the power is out everywhere in our town (including our home and office). I'm in the one coffee shop that must be on a generator cause they have power (and coffee!), and I can use my phone as a wifi hotspot so I can work on my laptop. We have no clue about when the power will be back on.

The 5K I helped organize on Saturday went great. We had beautiful weather (sunny, and in the upper 40s at the start), and a better turnout than I expected (at almost 700 registered). Our race committee did an awesome job. A runner from CNY's Western Mass Distance Project came east and won the race in 15:00. The only incident I heard about was that a member of the timing crew swore (in a most unpleasant way) at a racer for crossing back over the finish timing mats. I spoke with the runner after the race, and got in touch with the owner of the timing company, who will be calling the runner directly to apologize - they had no hesitation about taking responsibility for this, which made me feel good about them as an organization. I'm very glad the race went well, and I'm glad it is over for this year.

I posted yesterday's race on the RR thread, but the gist is that it was a very wet half marathon, but I still managed a PR for the course, and snagged 1st place in the walking div. There is no frickin' frackin' way I should be setting course (or any kind, for that matter) PRs at this stage, so I don't know what is going on.

The winds were still howling at 4AM today, so there was no way I was going out in that. But I'm also still pretty achy, so if the weather didn't keep me in, that would have.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Congrats on the great races, Jay, both organizing and winning!. Now you can sleep better.  Hope the power gets restored for you today, too.

Congrats to all the other racers this weekend, especially metalman for his marathon debut.

We got some much-needed rain from that storm and some howling winds, but nothing too serious, thankfully.  Sun's out this morning and I did some exercises and a 3-mile run.

Have a great week.

Be safe. Be kind.

metalmancpa

No running for me today , and great RR's from all. coastwalker - take that PR and say of course you should have gotten it!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Congrats on the great races, Jay, both organizing and winning!. Now you can sleep better.  Hope the power gets restored for you today, too.

+1

No run for me today, just about 15 minutes of core and stretching.  I did, however, decide to try the Relive app and here is my run from yesterday.

https://www.relive.cc/view/g15206080861

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good work on the race directing and on your own race, Jay!

3.3 miles for me to start the week.  It was SO cold- 30 degrees.  That's a little early for this....

2.5 miles on the treadmill after work.      5.8 for the day.  Putting the pace bunny in my rear view mirror (temporarily).

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good morning.
              ..... still unPNW-like sunny, sunny, sunny
              . . . . .. . I’m not complaining.
              . . . . . . .  
              ........after vowing never to use the fitness club
              membership provided with MedicareB again,...........
              ..........unless necessary to watch IM 2018 too.........
              .....did it again today anyway for a pool run for TomW.
              ...........................15-min RC PR
              ..................(nope, won’t be doin’ that again either)....

.............good running to ya’ll

......................<<<(nothing takes the place of being young)>>>>>>, . . .

Metalman - how old is a DS who not only stuck it
              out on his own to finish but’s gunnja do it again?

ps - I know someone else who said the same
              after his first marathon in 1977. Good luck.
              However. after that first goofy triathlon on a whim
              in 1978,  I could hardly wait until the next one (1979)
              and next (1980), . . . and next, (1981) . . . and next (1982)......
              and next (1983), . . . and next, (1984) . . . and next (1985)......
              and next (1986), . . . and next, (1987) . . . and next (1988).....
              and next (1989), . . . and next, (1990) . . . and next (1991)......
              and next (1992), . . . and next, (1993) . . . and next (1994)......
              and next (1995), . . . and next, (1996) . . . and next (1997)......
              and next (1998). . . . and next, (1999) . . . and next (2000)......
              and next (2001), . . . and next, (2002) . . . and next (2003)......
              and next (2004), . . . and next, (2005) . . . and next (2006)......
              and next (2007), . . . and next, (2008) . . . and next (2009)......
              and next (2010), . . . and next, (2011) . . . and next (2012)......
              and next (2013), . . . and next, (2014) . . . and next (2015)......
              and next (2016), . . . and next, (2017) . . . and next ...... (i hope)

pps - of course, you should have gotten that PR, jay.

It's not many who get their PR's at this stage,

. . . . except when ilene was doing so many

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

metalmancpa

Metalman - how old is a DS who not only stuck it
                out on his own to finish but’s gunnja do it again?

ps - I know someone else who said the same
                after his first marathon in 1977. Good luck.
                However. after that first goofy triathlon on a whim
                in 1978,  I could hardly wait until the next one (1979)
                and next (1980), . . . and next, (1981) . . . and next (1982)......
                and next (1983), . . . and next, (1984) . . . and next (1985)......
                and next (1986), . . . and next, (1987) . . . and next (1988).....
                and next (1989), . . . and next, (1990) . . . and next (1991)......
                and next (1992), . . . and next, (1993) . . . and next (1994)......
                and next (1995), . . . and next, (1996) . . . and next (1997)......
                and next (1998). . . . and next, (1999) . . . and next (2000)......
                and next (2001), . . . and next, (2002) . . . and next (2003)......
                and next (2004), . . . and next, (2005) . . . and next (2006)......
                and next (2007), . . . and next, (2008) . . . and next (2009)......
                and next (2010), . . . and next, (2011) . . . and next (2012)......
                and next (2013), . . . and next, (2014) . . . and next (2015)......
                and next (2016), . . . and next, (2017) . . . and next ...... (i hope)

My son is 35. And he's looking forward to doing it with Dad, and I with him. I had may day in the sun even though in hindsight I shouldn't have.

I have competed in 2 sprint triathlons. The first I did after that sprint with my son, so I had learned my lesson and stayed with her the whole time. I have asthma and am just not comfortable in the water even though I can swim. I am a flounder and I really hate that leg of a tri. My DD was much slower than me in bike and run so it was a light workout for me. I ran one more on my own and still floundered in the water but got a trophy for being 2nd out of 5 males in my AG, and 24th out of 109 OA. I'm never doing a Tri again. With the marathon, I don't have the bug for that distance, not one bit. I love the HM distance as it pushes the edge of my speed without being brutal on my body. I've done well in 16-18 mile LR's. Every emotion I had going into the marathon was capped perfectly by crossing the finish.  I really think I will not be a casualty like in your example 

an amazing likeness

Jumping in to add some 'color' to Jay's commentary...we had one heck of a storm last night. I'm about 65mi north and we spend the night listening a howling wind gusting to 65mph, electrical transformers blowing, and limbs and trees coming down.  Over 500K without power in a state with a total population of just over 1M.

Yesterday's walking route looking a bit more difficult today:

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

spacityrunner

Yikes Milktruck...

Trails Rock!

Hang in there East Coasters!  We saw the news this morning. Yikes!

Congratulations, Jay!!! How cool is that to not only put on a fantastic race, but snag 1st place in your division AND PR!

And congrats to all our racers.  I barely had time to breath this weekend, so will have to go back and review things.

My weekend was filled with lady-friends, late nights, food, and fun.  The late nights just about killed me, though, so I slept in today.

But it's a new day, a new week . . .and I get a hair cut and color after work.  Life is good! 

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Excellent Jay!!

rest day for me. weather is so nice that I would love to go run after work, but (1) tonight is all about finishing up the OSU app essays and essay for Honors College. David wants me to review everything before hitting "submit" tomorrow.  and (2) my legs could probably use a rest since I ran 6 days last week.

a local running friend of mine is a trail ultra runner and on weekends she's always running up in the mountains in preparation for whatever 50 or 100 mile ultra she's doing. Needless to say her and I never run together because she's running upwards of 20 - 50 miles depending on where she's at in her training cycle. She's getting ready to run Rio del Lago 100 this weekend.  She put it out there on her FB that after this ultra she wants to focus on developing a women's only weekend trail running group and just doing distances of 10-15ish miles, since a few of us shorter distance trail runners have said "hey, if you are ever running something like short - like 10 miles - let me know!" very few are up for the distances she usually runs. About 7 or 8 people chimed in that they want to do that. She knows so many of our mountain trail runs backwards and forwards because she's been running them for 4+ yrs now when she trains for the different ultra's she does. I'm looking forward to joining up with a group of trail running women, like Carolyn does. And seeing the fabulous views of So. Oregon from mountain tops. These are places I would never venture on my own, nor even go to with others that didn't know the terrain real well like she does.

Tammy

Tammy - That sounds like so much fun!  Just to shove myself into the activities without being invited, if she ever does something like that in the future, I would love to come up and join you ladies.  Once I get back on track, it would be fun to do something like that around here, too.  I've gotten to know a young couple here over the last few years and they, too, know so many of our trails forwards and backwards, it'd be nice to have someone knowledgeable help me and others expand our running trail horizons.  They're quite fast, as are the people they usually run with, so it'd take a lot of patience on their part to have other, slower runners join them, but who knows.  We'll see.

Back to work . . . .

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

Milktruck & Jay - microbursts in some areas as DD in Stratham NH & DS in Kittery ME both had power.

walked 5 miles today (but not at coastwalker speed!)  lots of wind..

marj

TammyinGP

absolutely Leslie! I'll keep you in the loop on those runs once she gets them going. She said that all paces are welcome and no one, ever, will be left behind. When I've been seeing her times that she does mountain trails, she's in that 14-15 min mile range, and based on even her road run times, she's my pace - like in that 9:30-10:30 range.  She may even start a private FB group for this stuff - so she can toss it out there where she's running each weekend and who wants to join, where to meet up, etc. I won't do every weekend - but hoping for 1-2 a month depending on where she's running.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Tammy and Leslie, I hope your new trail group works out!  I love my trail sisters - most weekends it's easy to find someone who wants to run 20+ miles, since most of us are training for ultras.  There are lots of opportunities for shorter runs, too. One of my friends in my Friday group has never done an ultra but she wants to, so I'm helping her with training tips, like walk most of the uphills, and eat regularly!

I'm kinda tapering for the Moab Trail Marathon on Saturday. Yesterday I ran 3 miles, and today there's ice all over everything, so I'm taking a rest day.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.