Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 12.11.17 (Read 37 times)

evanflein

Tramps,

the 2017 in 2017 link in the top bar.

Cat, what team are you on? I was on Pimp My Stride and we finished top 4. Last year we were dead last, so that was an improvement. I haven't decided if I'm doing it again next year or not. I get a little carried away sometimes and end up getting hurt.

Metal, my thoughts exactly. Although I keep saying I'm going to start riding my bike again... every spring I say that. And yes, niggle is a word in this forum!

Holly, I can't imagine having to lock the door. None of our doors have locks (internal doors) and we don't lock our front door. Just never have. I think if I caught one of my boys snooping in the closet (our hiding spot), I'd throw it all out. And I think they know I'd do something like that. Actually, I'd donate to our local toy/gift drive.

Good racing, Jay. I was impressed by the number of runners in that event! And those sorts of drives home leave me feeling wilted and exhausted. Glad you made it home safe.

{{Deez}} hang in there, all of you.

Twocat, make sure you have the mask that filters the PM2.5 particulates. Most of those masks you see are worthless. When we have bad wildfire smoke here, there are always stores pushing the lightweight (worthless) masks. The good ones usually have a valve on the top, but read the labels. Sorry... there's no way I'd go to Beijing for that very reason.

Ok, that's about it. We went to Anchorage on Saturday afternoon for a hockey event, home on Sunday afternoon. Ran 5.1 before we left and 7.5 after we got back, all on the TM. There's a lot of ice out there, but not as bad as Anchorage. Holy carp the parking lots and sidewalks were slick! The roads weren't too bad, but almost fell in a couple of parking lots. Today we're in the mid-30's which is really warm for us in Mid-December. Crazy. As long as it's not going to rain (not forecast), I'll go out for a run outside today.

unless

there's a box that says-

PT ''Butt Kicked''>>>>>>>which I will put a CheckMark

There's always a box for getting your butt kicked at PT.

Jay - Great recap of your race.  I loved the videos and I think it's so cool this race is solely to help the town recover.  Road conditions - Yikes!  I don't think I've ever driven in snow.  I've been the passenger, but never the driver.  My butt would probably be so puckered, I wouldn't be able to poop for a week. 

Rest day, since I just had my 4th week of increase.  I'll take it since I'm having some minor discomfort in the foot in which I tore a ligament 6+ years ago. I know it's just from all my bouncing around yesterday with the plyos and agility ladder, but it's a bit disconcerting.  I still remember - and not fondly - the three months of crutches. Time to start concentrating on foot strengthening again!

Okay - Back to work.  Have a fabulous week ~~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

catwhoorg

Labrat

Cat, what team are you on? I was on Pimp My Stride and we finished top 4. Last year we were dead last, so that was an improvement. I haven't decided if I'm doing it again next year or not. I get a little carried away sometimes and end up getting hurt.

WTF (Where's the Finish)

I am in again for next year, counting the RWOL days 2018 will be my 6th consecutive year in the game. I always find it motivating. Never been in the actual final 2 before though.

(and it was being on a team with Mariposai last year that brought me to this group)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

pfriese

Due to the finals of the 2017 game I'll not be posting my workouts in the dailies. For the next couple of weeks.

Its a miles/running game, moistly fun and motivation but when you get down to the last 2 it is rather serious business.

catwhoorg, yes being in the final 2 has brought out the serious side of this game. I'm not sure I like the pressure. Wink WTF beating Team 9 was unexpected. It will be a fun & exciting finals I'm sure.

Go team - Baby got Track

Paul

...............  My butt would probably be so puckered, I wouldn't be able to poop for a week. ........

...Well Put........

AND

applies to Sooo Many situations we put ourselves in.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

I was in Miles to Go this year, and we are dead last, although I should make my goal of 2000 miles.  I will not join next year.  The fact that the group formed up here at RA and then immediately migrated to FB was a disappointment to me.  I am only rarely on FB, brief glimpses each week.  It's hard enough for me to keep up here...

Tet - I am breaking out my Vibrum 5fs again, but that's as close toa barefoot runner as I get.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

bioguy

Wow- lots of posts today before 5pm EST; makes me feel late to the party.

So no run yesterday; I spent time at a 1/2 day Chi running workshop. Tried some of the ideas today while in a 3 mile tempo run and have to say I felt ok, 5 miles total w/ warmup and cooldown.

Guess I have to check out this mileage challenge for 2018.

Tailwinds!

metalmancpa

I was in Miles to Go this year, and we are dead last, although I should make my goal of 2000 miles.  I will not join next year.  The fact that the group formed up here at RA and then immediately migrated to FB was a disappointment to me.  I am only rarely on FB, brief glimpses each week.  It's hard enough for me to keep up here...

Tet - I am breaking out my Vibrum 5fs again, but that's as close toa barefoot runner as I get.

I'm actually part of the Miles Game on FB which I am on often.

Regarding Vibram 5fs for running - Don't Do It!! Just kidding (sort of) because I have a couple of pairs I love to wear. The reason I say don't do it for activity is I was wearing them jumping rope when I ruptured my Achilles. Of course I associate them with partial blame for the tear (totally unfounded), so I wear them in warmer weather due to their comfort, and use of different leg muscles for walking over regular shoes.

TammyinGP

I was on Team Pimp My Stride (with Erika)  I'm a fairly low mileage runner anyway (goal for year is only 950) but have consistently been behind goal. we were eliminated two weeks ago. And last week I only ran 8ish miles when I'm supposed to be running about 20. Hmmm, far below weekly goal AND eliminated from game. Coincidence? probably not. 

I have signed up for 2018 and will aim for 1000 miles. It does keep me motivated and has certainly been the driving force behind me running when I probably otherwise would not - - like when we were engulfed in hazardous smoke for a month and I was forced to the TM in the gym. 

No run for me today. It's my son's 18th bday today. Funny how every hour of my 26 hr labor is pretty much etched in my memory and I know exactly what was going on during this 3 o'clock hour, yet I can't remember what I need when I stop at the grocery store.  We had our family celebration of his birthday yesterday, but DH and I will take him out to eat tonight for a bday dinner also.

Tammy

evanflein

If I sign up for the game for 2018, I will start out with a 2,000 mile goal. I started with 2,400 for this year and had to go on "injured reserve" for a long time in February. I didn't mind the Facebook migration, which yes our team did too, but it is a little annoying. It's an RA game, not FB, and it was always confusing trying to figure out who people were because you had to match up their RA username with their FB name. We did have great admins though. I'd do it again to have Andrew and Dayna be the admins again!

Warm out there today! Temps in the mid-30's made the snow really slick. I started out on the path below my building but quickly caught up to the two tandem Bobcats plowing the path (yay!) so I turned around and pulled Route B out of my hat. Pretty good run with some slippage but not bad. Glad I have spikes. 6.1 miles total.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy - Happy Birthday to David!

On a side note, many of us share our joys and struggles with our kids.  I would like to say that I used to be quite judgmental about other people's poorly-behaved kids, thinking, "Boy if that was MY kid, I wouldn't put up with that crap!"  And then I had DD.  I am not a weak-willed person.  In fact, I am quite stubborn and strong-willed.  However, my DD is the most strong-willed person I have ever known, relentless, in fact, when she wants to be, and it has been quite a battle for the last 3-4 years with her behavior issues.  She is frankly exhausting and I have been at my wit's end many times.  I remember one time when I told her she could not spend the night at a friend's, she texted me 77 times to argue.  No, I did not give in, but everything is a battle, and it wears me down.  When we recently received the news that she is quite strongly ADHD, it was almost a vindication (maybe it's NOT because I am a terrible mom!), and some relief that there was some reason behind her impulse-driven behavior.  I know that some of you have probably felt judgmental thoughts when I have shared some of our adventures with her (fully understandable), but unless you have actually raised a very difficult child, you have no idea.  So, yes, I have a lock on my bedroom door.  It is just easier than fighting about borrowed clothes and shoes, which was the primary reason I put the lock there.  My life is stressful enough, anything I can do to remove additional stressors is good.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Makes sense, Holly, and different people handle things different ways. I do have a difficult child, one that prompted many sleepless nights both at home and while we were traveling. He's a great kid, but went through some pretty rough patches in high school and unfortunately introduced us to the legal system pretty early on. I still worry about him, but he's on his own for the most part now. They do grow up, or at least move out...

(might want to invest in another spare key though, just sayin')

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Holly--someday, you'll find your story about locking yourself out of your bedroom funny...but, for now, the rest of us can laugh...well, at least, I am.  And--yes, before Eric I was the most judgmental parent you could ever find...not anymore.

About the marathoner.  When I first heard about it, I thought, right away, that she should have been DQ'd.  But, after watching the video--she never had a choice in the help she received.  In fact, you can see her push that girl away the first time.  So, what was she supposed to do?  She was so close to the finish, she could have crawled the rest of the way.  I think they did the right thing by not disqualifying her...and I would feel this way, even if she did receive a cash award.  Just my opinion, of course.

I went 10 miles tonight.  It was me vs a 20 mph wind with gusts...the wind won.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Couldn't get out until after 16:00, so only 4 @7:59 this evening. Yes, that 1 second is important. Sundown seems to be about 16:45 here. We're almost at the bottom of the pit (Winter Solstice), and in another few weeks the days will be getting longer. Doubt they'll still be in the lower 70's here, though!

Wore my Skechers GoRun5 "Nite Owl" edition shoes, which literally glow in the dark. Always fun when finishing up as it gets dark!

Kids: I know we're unbelievably lucky, with a 14 and 16 y/o and have had zero problems other than the boy's past trivial bouts with OCD. I keep waiting for karma to even out, and something bad to happen.

Biking: That's my fall-back when I can't run anymore. I used to do a lot of mountain biking, and this Summer I was looking at new bikes. I talked myself out of it, because I could count on one hand the number of bike rides I did last year.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quick post.  Got in 7.5 miles pre-dawn (temps in the low 30s) at a sub-8:30 pace.  Decent run.  I was asked to substitute at the Y for spin class (Mondays and Wednesdays I teach on base) so I did (they leave passes for any of my base students that want to go come to the Y for the class).

Have a great night everyone!