Masters Running

Weekly Newbies - all runners welcome - good times here (Read 1591 times)

Beginner all over again

.   http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/proprioceptive-training.htm

Nifty - thanks for that link !

:-)

I decided for my Training Plan

to run Every Other Day, and Bike 2 days per week

My goal Runs are 2:30, 1:30, and 1:00

plus I do a WU/CD added top of those times

:15 Warmup mostly walking, and

:15 CoolDown walk-only

I should be at this level at the end of the month, in time for 4th of July.

I'll keep it at those levels with the Two XT  bicycling days for a month, and then "decide" what to do for August.

I will keep the three Runs, but I might start walking  on one of the Bike days instead, to ease into adding a 4th running day sometime around Thanksgiving. 

I train at Low Heart Rate so the mileage is lower, but I get "faster" every week, so my Mileage is beginning to climb and will continue to do so, staying with the same Time Duration of my workouts.

My next goal race is May 2011, another HM, so I'm doing the boring ole basebuilding for months and months still

:-)

HappyFeat

My labyrinth is on hold. Waiting for $ for the stones and chips. I had a $700 brake job and a $355 vet bill this month. So stone and wood chip wait.

3.5 mile run pain free. Followed by 2 three mile runs pain free.

Ahh - priorities - know how that goes. I'm currently helping a brother in need with his mortgage; keeping my fingers crossed I don't have any emergency $$ need. It's a little worrisome.

Happiness is running pain-free  That should be our group slogan, right about now, don'tcha think?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Rindaroo

HF - Happiness is running pain-free sounds like a good slogan to me! 

I ran 3 1/2 miles on the treadmill this morning Smile  most I've done for awhile  now.  so very cool!!  working on my 3rd week in a row of running 3 times.

Beginner all over again

Linda - 3 of 3 .... fantastic...feels great, eh..?..!!!

Rindaroo

Feels amazing & loving it!!
            anachrotech

I ran a half marathon in Detroit in 2006 and was preparing to run the Crim in 2007 when for some reason had an issue with bursitis in my left hip.  Ever since then, my "running" has been cr@p.  I'm trying - to the point of tears and saying "Why bother?".  Part of my problem now is most likely not wanting to admit I have to start from square one - or even below the Cto5k training . I'm lucky to run/walk 2 miles in 28 right now.

dg.

((((anachrotec))))   hi!    I'm so glad you posted.   I do remember when that happened.   what's the status as far as your injuries now?    

I know...     it's soooo hard to accept starting over.          makes you want to kick things, but then we hurt our feet. 

please give yourself credit for the effort behind those 2 miles!!  tw said the other day, 'run with what you got'.   I"m coming back from something myself, & I try to keep remembering that!!   because what else can we do, esp. if we want to come back strong.  exceeding it just tears us back down. 

anachrotech

((((anachrotec))))   hi!    I'm so glad you posted.   I do remember when that happened.   what's the status as far as your injuries now?    

Thank you for asking.  No injuries - mostly old age (arthritis and osteoporosis) and I'm impatient.  It takes a lot for me to run/walk two miles right now.  My lack of running, except for the measly few miles per month, helped put 20 lbs on me.  Add the weight to the lack of training and frustration kicks in.  So basically I'm down to mind games with myself.

I lurk but don't post much. 

Rindaroo

Thank you for asking.  No injuries - mostly old age (arthritis and osteoporosis) and I'm impatient.  It takes a lot for me to run/walk two miles right now.  My lack of running, except for the measly few miles per month, helped put 20 lbs on me.  Add the weight to the lack of training and frustration kicks in.  So basically I'm down to mind games with myself.

I lurk but don't post much. 

This is a good place to post - we all understand in one way or another - with injuries or medical issues, etc.  and have a way of really supporting each other.    {{{hugs}}}  you know, it is hard in a situation when its hard to run or runwalk at all.  For me, its always one step at a time, and do what you can do.  I know TW has been struggling with arthritis too, and he is  the one who taught me to never give up, and enjoy what you can do.  Its HARD, but important. 

Rindaroo

Hey all -  is everyone doing okay?

I ran 3 miles on the treadmill this morning Smile slowly increasing speed,  its all good!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi Linda--mostly lurk mode for me recently.  Glad to see more improvement.  And speed on top of it!  Ever since I started running I've been on the 3 days a week schedule.  with the X-T that I do now, it seems to work better.

I had long run on Sunday cut a little short by a sore knee, but it seems to have gone away at the moment.  I need it to stay away for another week and a half--my first half is Saturday after next.  This Sunday I'm hoping for 11 miles and then go into the race and hope for a large adrenaline rush .

Yesterday I did 5 in 48:00.  Haven't downloaded yet, but I threw in a fast last half mile where I was seeing low 8's .   That hasn't been there in ages--I've very deliberatley down everything on this training schedule on a slower pace.  Speed has come a little as the fitness increased, but I just wanted to get the miles in and build the base.  I think it's worked for the most part.   After I recover from the half, I'm hoping to throw in some speed work to prpare for a 5K in August that I would love to do well at.  I think the training will be as much upping my discomfort tolerance as actually adding speed.

Lois--2 in 28 is a pretty good clip.  not a bad place to start over with if you have to.  Good luck on the comeback trail.

Hi all--lunch is over and I have to pretend to work while monitoring RA  (just can't type very much )

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

NBA championship will be determined in about 4 hours. Go CELTS!

Linda, congrats on 3x a week! Recovery seems to be going well.

Kevin, Good time on your 5 mile. Hows your heart?

Welcome tech. All injured runners welcome here. We have a lot of experience with injuries and running.

Hello to Happy and Frances.

Been on a week of recovery. Pushed a training ride a little too hard last friday. Woke up in incredible pain. NO runs or rides this week. But I did swim. Interesting distance swim story posted on my facebook.

Life has been fairly good. I got a wonderful life coach. My good friend in AZ! She works wonders with me. I Feel strong and healthy lately.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Kevin - good to hear you're running well!  and thanks Smile  I don't actually know how fast I'm running outside, haven't been taking my Garmin.  But have been moving the speed up teeny bits on the treadmill.  I used to always do a little higher than lower on the treadmill, but am doing one speed the whole time now - and I'm up to 4.4 ..  very slow  I know..but to think I could barely run at 4.0 awhile ago... so its pretty cool that I can keep it consistent now.

Laurie - I actually watched part of the game last night, haven't been too into basketball since we moved here,, how weird after decades of being a Laker fan.    It was interesting to see all your posts on FB for the Celtics & all my friends in Socal posts about the Lakers..   Good to hear you have a life coach (a friend?) and things are getting better.   I have a good friend like that, but what she did was remind me to keep walking the road, dealing with those things I needed to deal with...  well it was time, and I was ready.  and it got a lot worse before it got better, but its wayyyyy better now Smile 

Oh & did I mention I ran 4 miles this morning?  Big grin  Was planning on 3, but it felt so good that I kept going.  Doing good!!

HappyFeat

Hi everybody and Happy Saturday

So happy you're enjoying your runs and your life, Linda - yaay!

Laurie, I'm not on facebook, so I miss out on a lot of your details but glad to hear that you're feeling so much better these days.

Kevin, you've made lots of progress since I first joined the group... because you're smart and stick to your plan....(hmm, I could learn something here.)

Hello to tech, Frances, Deb, and anyone else.  Have a great weekend. 

HappyFeat

Here's my endorsement of another RA's tip on DIY gripper-strip for the legs of your shorts that ride up.

She suggested using the PermaTex gasket sealer you get at the auto parts store and applying your own squiggly line.  I did that on the CW-X shorts and it worked. So I'm now putting it on the UnderArmour Ultra shorts which ride up worse than the CW-X did. The fabric is thinner and slicker - that's probably why. Here's a demonstration photo - I've put it on one leg so far. (Note: another use for your foam roller!) It takes an hour to dry to touch and 24 hours to "cure."