Masters Running

Corrected to be Friday, 9.2.16 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry about the day mix-up, Mike & Holly. I guess I was in a hurry.

I just have time for a quickie this morning, but I wanted to wish Holly good resultss with her DD's tests, Wildchild a great time at her DD's wedding, and Aamos good luck with the rain and wind.

DW and I are leaving this morning for a whirlwind family tour. We'll be at 3 different homes (plus a drive-by to see an older aunt in a PT facility) in 2 states over the next 5 nights. We tried to do this any other weekend than Labor Day, but this is the only weekend that worked for everybody. We just hope we'll be able to spend more time visiting than sitting in holiday weekend traffic.

6.1 RW miles in the dark and in 63F temps with a nice westerly breeze, under cloud-covered skies. There was no sproink in my steps this morning, so I just did the best I could and got it done. Where's my paper bag...?

Have a greta Friday and Labor Day weekend!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Well--you better get on your way, then--you've already lost a day.  (It's Friday). (Umm...it is only Friday, right?)

Marathon Maniac #957

Whew, Mike, thanks - I got a little panicky for a moment.  Yes, it is Friday...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

HIya!  well....Jay did say "whirlwind!"

A 10K for me this am--hot and stuffy, but  perhaps we'll see some sun.  The hurricane is well north of us; we were one of the 16 counties (out of 67) where state offices remained open yesterday.

Enjoy the long weekend if you have one.  How can you not Love a day honoring Laborers?

I'll be thinking about you and DD, Holly.   I imagine you'll see some brave kiddoes at the Hosp.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Rest day today and a day off to boot. Not sure what I will be doing. But relaxing is in the mix.

Holly, good luck today with those tests for your DD.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Jlynne

Good morning good people. I saw Jay's post earlier and thought I had the day off

Good luck today Holly - hoping that DD's tests are ok.

Glad you're safe Aamos - I'll bet it's incredibly muggy there today.

Saw your post yesterday Starr. Do you still think the Vikings will be okay with their QB out for the season? That's tough.

Enjoy your rest day Lori!

Close to 5 this morning in perfect running conditions. I'm loving this cooler weather (she said cautiously). Looks to be a great weekend here weather wise, and there's a lot of crazy Louisiana folks up here for the football game tomorrow. Should be a great game.  I survived the first day of school. Gotta love those little kindergarten kids. They had the "deer in the headlights" look when they came through the lunch line for the first time yesterday. By the end of the school year, they'll be loud and sassy just like the 5th graders!

Have a great Friday everyone.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Close to 5 this morning in perfect running conditions. I'm loving this cooler weather (she said cautiously). Looks to be a great weekend here weather wise, and there's a lot of crazy Louisiana folks up here for the football game tomorrow. Should be a great game.  I survived the first day of school. Gotta love those little kindergarten kids. They had the "deer in the headlights" look when they came through the lunch line for the first time yesterday. By the end of the school year, they'll be loud and sassy just like the 5th graders!

Have a great Friday everyone.

Whip them into shape early, Jeanne.

I know extra tests are annoying (expensive), but most anything heart related, I'd go for.  Good luck and hope it just a poorly done origianl.

another 3.1 this morning.  Much nicer than yesterday, but same low speed results.  Seems like some continuing cooler weather up in Maine this weekend.  Appears that the hurricane remnents won't make it that far north.  Boston looks like it will get some rain--hope DS is awake to close windows if it does.  Haven't had to worry about that much this summer.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

JLynne, I am not sure what to think of the Vikings this season, getting a new QB this late in the game could be detrimental to the team. Other than I really want to go to the stadium! I see that they play the Packers on Sunday 9/18 at 7:30.  I'm not really looking forward to watching that game!

twocat - that bugs me about the bus stopping every few houses too!  They even stop and wait for them to exit their house!  My kid's bus wouldn't even wait for them to get to the corner when the were running to the bus.  I am lucky that I never had to ride the bus to school and would walk home for lunch quite often.  We rarely got rides, even in the winter.  Those were the good old days.

It looks like I will do my long run early tomorrow morning, around 6, to avoid the winds.  Sunday's forecast is for rain, so that's not an option.  Have a great holiday weekend everyone.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Holly - Will be keeping your daughter in my prayers that everything is just fine.

Wildchild - A wedding?!?  It doesn't seem like it's been that long since they met.

*sigh*  I really have to figure out how to drag my butt out of bed in the predawn hours again.  (Yes, that means I didn't get up for my workout . . .)

The associate attorney I'm working with wants to run a marathon asked me to be his coach.  Hmmm . . . I'm guessing a training plan would be similar to a 50k trail run, just without the dirt and hills!  I asked him why he wanted to run a marathon and he said so he could say he did it.  And he wants to lose weight and get into shape.  I asked him if he even like running and he said he didn't know, but he can run 5 miles with no problem at this point.  I told him if I did it, he'd have to commit to at least 2 days of strength training, as well.  He has a gym membership, so that shouldn't be a problem.  We'll see how this all plays out.

Have a GRAND weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I'm not sure how anyone who doesn't like running could force themselves to train for a marathon.  But hopefully your attorney friend will start to like it, Leslie.

It's raining, and hard!  So odd.  And it's below 60 F, and I had 3 blankets on last night in bed.  One week ago it was 97.3 F.  Kind of an abrupt change, but then again, it is September now.

If this rain keeps up, I might actually have to use the TM!  Noooo

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

C-R

Hey all,

Glad I didn't miss Friday. Can't afford to miss anytime with my projects this close to getting contracts.

Hope DD's test were negative Holly. Nothing worse that having to worry about kiddos health.

Stay dry and safe Amy. I hear that storm is a doozy.

Jay putting 10lbs in a 5lb bag this weekend. Good luck on that whirlwind tour.

Way to set proper expectations Leslie. Hope the atny can hang in there. Marathon training ain't easy.

Well another run today. Working on my form. Found it was very poor from when I was racing and remaining injury free. Racewalkers reminded of that. Thanks Jay and those Olympians. Today was the smoothest in a long time.

Kiddo has a huge XC race tomorrow. He finished 3rd in the county last Tues in JV and this is the state preview JV. If he can do what he expects, he may be getting some more attention. Very proud of all the work he's put into his running. Just for some context, hes a Soph and thier team is consistently ranked #1 or #2 in the state with usually one or two boys finishing in the top 10 at Nike and Footlocker each year. Kind of a factory but whikkahd fast kids (both boys and girls). As a soph, he's looking to build up so he can crack the starting line up next year. I'm excited for him but nervous too. Glad I'm getting a long run in the am before the race so I can be a little less on edge.

Well enough rambling.

Have a great day and weekend.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

school bus, what's that.

in those days, we walked over a mile to school, rain or shine, slush and deep snow.

I should have become a mailman.  Actually, my cousin did.

Weather smeather, now I know why I don't care about it. .

I'm not sure how anyone who doesn't like running could force themselves to train for a marathon.   

i hated running when I started training for my first marathon in 1977 when the local ski season south of erika-land was rained out.  Still don't like running here-and-there for no other purpose than training and haven't done it sine then unless there's some convenient excuse, e.g. commuting, etc. However, I LOVE marathons and the thrill of still being able to run 26.2 miles so much that, if I ever have to train to do them, I'll probably even do that.

two mile GS commute and walk with DD along the nearby USFS bear-viewing creek.

She reminded me of last summer when I used the interval-timer on my Nikon Coolpix SX33 to capture a porcupine finally exiting under their porch at 1:30 am in the summer midnight sun and not being a problem for then-6-yo GS anymore so I set it up on a tripod aimed at a gravelly salmon spawning area under one of the bear-viewing bridges to trigger ever 30 second.  Will check tonight for any action.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Love the wildlife review, Tetsujin.

I have been absent and not lurking. Dad always said, "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing."

But I think it is time to let my RA family what is going on.

I had hip surgery on 15 July. Repair of a labral tear on my right hip.

A week before the surgery, I started having weird pain symptoms in my right shoulder, arm, hand. And other weird things were happening in my body. My gut told me to cancel the surgery until I figured out what was going on systemically. But. Denial is my favorite mistake.

Anyway. The surgery went well. Recovery was fine. But. Weird symptoms got worse.

I have had a million blood tests and nothing can be clearly defined. I need to see a rheumatologist. I called for the appointment in July. I cannot be seen until 04 October.

Meanwhile. Although my Western Blot test for Lyme's disease was negative. A positive test for Western Blot is having 5 of 10 bands present. I had 3 of 10 bands present. Although, having 2 of 3 specific bands present can mean Lyme's. I do have 2 of the 3 bands present. But we just don't know if I have disseminated Lyme's disease or another auto-immune disease.

Before we had the results of the test, my PCP started me on Doxycycline for 28 days. With the negative Western Blot, I asked him if I should stop the medicine. He said, "No! Keep taking the medicine for the duration." I think he said this because some of the symptoms have abated. But I do not know if the medicine caused this. The worst symptom has been extreme fatigue. This symptom is not killing me anymore. But. I also stopped my vigorous stationary bike routine. I had found I could ride for 45 minutes at 16 mph. But. The next day I would be worthless. I am able to walk Leonidas around the swamp daily.

So that is my tale of woe.

If you are a praying person, I welcome prayers.

Please be well and enjoy life!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Aw Rosie, sorry to hear this.  One day at a time!

Chronic illnesses do suck.  But doesn't Lyme eventually get better?

I just did 4 miles, slowly, around the neighbourhood.  Very windy and sunny now after heavy rain in the morning.  The job I interviewed for last week, I did not get.   Although apparently they thought I was "great" and forwarded my resume to a different department.    I am curious which department but I don't think that info was given to my recruiter.  I would be totally depressed about this,     but I have another interview being arranged with a different company, and this one seems like a better fit, and they appreciate and can use my scientific background - so hopefully my chances are better.      Just today, my boss at my last company (unprompted) said she would hire me back if I am still out of work once they get their venture capital funding in.    That would be Dec/Jan I think.  It would not be my first choice, but unfortunately I am not in a position to be picky.  

Thought we could use lots of emoticons today!

Fingers crossed!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Aamos, happy birthday to your husband.  Holly, I hope your daughter's follow up concludes she's fine.  C-R, it sounds like your son is quite the runner.  RCG, I'm glad to hear your hip surgery went well and am sending positive vibes for the other stuff.  enke, wishing you the best in your job searching.

Nice long runs fro Twocat, mari, and evan.

I still haven't run since last saturday's race.  I just haven't felt like it.  I've done some 4 mile walks and some 2 and 4 mile bike rides.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS