Masters Running

Tuesday, June 10th Daily (Read 520 times)

Vista's question about his brother's personal preferences as to "Heroic measures" is a good one. My DW and I have both made our wishes known by filling out the "Five Wishes" form. Some of you may have heard of it. It puts all your personal end-of-life decisions and other getting-one's-affairs-in order questions on paper and known. Besides Vista's brother's situation, Aamos DH's recent scare should have all of us asking and answering these questions. Now. While we're healthy in body and mind. The "Five Wishes" form can be ordered online at this link: Aging with Dignity - Five Wishes I felt good on my run this morning. I think I'm beginning to acclimate a little. (It never takes me too long since it's fairly warm down here all year around.) 78 degrees and 84% humidity at 5:15 AM. 8 miles this morning at MP or so, with 1+ miles at tempo pace - all by feel. My Garmin decided to run out of power so I don't have exact stats, but i think it was about 8 miles in 1:09 or so. Maybe I forgot to turn off the Garmin when I put it away on Sunday. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

Sobering thoughts this morning about issues we should all discuss and agree on. My best wishes to Joey's brother and nono's mom. Tim, just a word to you if I may. You had a monster run over the weekend, and even a week later it may have some lingering effect on you, AND this is your first ever tenk. I know you will do well at it, but I sure hope you go into it with not very high expectations. Use it as a good learning, or benchmarking experience. Just at the marathon begins at 20, the tenK begins at the 4.5 mile mark. You are a good runner, and I would like to see you really get the most out of this event. I told the Saint when I came home from running this morning that I must be emitting some radioactive beams that killed my ipod and my garmin on the same day. But my 6-mile run was just super, 3 slow tentative miles to begin, and then 3 wonderfully quick and energetic miles to finish. How fast? Who the heck knows? Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, just a word to you if I may. You had a monster run over the weekend, and even a week later it may have some lingering effect on you, AND this is your first ever tenk. I know you will do well at it, but I sure hope you go into it with not very high expectations. Use it as a good learning, or benchmarking experience. Just at the marathon begins at 20, the tenK begins at the 4.5 mile mark. You are a good runner, and I would like to see you really get the most out of this event.
        Thanks for your input Ribs, I really respect your experience and caring attitude. I have thought about what you said, and I have to admit I put my enthusiasm before my brain a lot of the times, and push the envelope more than I should...I am super stubborn considering my workouts, and don't leave much leeway to change or alter after I have my mind set (like Sun, I had atleast a 20 miler in my head, and I was hell bent on doing it). As I Emailed Holly last night, I need a training plan that I would stick to, but I like to train as I see fit also....and I have always done good (for me) in most all of my races...but wish I had your patience and wisdom to know when to go hard or long, or take it easy or not run at all when tired. I think with the right plan and using my head more, I could be a fast runner in short and long races...and look forward to my first fall Marathon. Like I have said before, this is my first year at serious and long distance running, so I just need to learn more to help me better myself...without destroying myself. Roll eyes I am going to do some short speed work tonight, then cycle with some buds of mine Weds, then swim laps Thurs...which will be a rest day basically. Then a short run Friday should make me good to go on Sat...race still worries me about going out too fast, but like you told me a week or so "let the faster runners go and run your own race" That's what I am planning on doing. Thanks....your a great guy, and mentor to many Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tramps, that wasn't a bad 5K considering the H&H. roch, I'm sorry to hear your electricity is out. It is good you were able to get ahold of a generator. Eliz, the flu and dehydration you had sound pretty bad. I hope you're doing better. vista, continued good thoughts for your brother. nono, continued good thoughts also, for your mother. biketm, congrats on 1000 miles for the year to date. Nice long runs for Franc, enke, biketm (maybe too many miles under the conditions), Suet, Twocat (with intervals), and Peter. Sunday, I mentioned taking on a hill that I normally avoid. Yesterday, while heading home from town on my bike, I saw someone running up the same hill. I felt compelled to check it out since there are so few runners in my area. It turned out to be the mother of one of my daughter's friends from high school. I know the lady slightly as we used to see each other at games when our daughters played basketball and volleyball together. The daughter has talked mom into training for a short triathlon that they can do together. The family lives at the top of the afore mentioned hill so, whenever she goes for a run, she starts out down the hill knowing she has to get back up it. It's nice to know there's another runner in the area. This morning, it was about 70 with just a light sprinkle and a light breeze. I did 9 miles in about 1:29:30 for a 9:56 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

The family lives at the top of the afore mentioned hill so, whenever she goes for a run, she starts out down the hill knowing she has to get back up it.
            I feel her pain.... Big grin ....but the nice thing is that I HAVE to go up that hill to get home. Every run, especially harder runs, I tell myself that I am GRATEFUL that I am forced to go up that hill to get home, otherwise I know I would wimp out and go around it most days.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

#artbydmcbride

DG, my piriformis pain is fading more every day, and my shoulder is great, the aerobics was a good test. Ribs, did you remember to recharge the ipod and garmin? Clowning around

Runners run

Mariposai

Good morning friends, I guess the topic of the day is the 5 wishes and running hills. Breger, thanks for that info on the Five wishes website. I will order a few of them to give away as present to my immediate family. SR, great to see your runs are turning to be "wonderfully hard and energetic. Just like you like it, right? Tim, just relax and enjoy your first journey with your FIRST EVER 10k. Are you excited to start your first marathon training plan? I will be looking forward to seeing you go thru 16 weeks of training. Keep up the great work. SteveP, that was a great picture yesterday. Love it. tselb, I can't wait to read that you also decided to tackle that hill Tongue. My house is also up on a hill, not a monsters hill like Erika, Peter or Holly's but a decent enough hill that the XC coach at the high school uses for her hill drills with her kids. So I also tend to end my runs down the hill so I can run back up to my house. Do I like it? Noooo....but Hills are My Friends I have been told....so I am trying to establish a strong relationship with my hills in the neighborhood. No running yet, but I am hoping to get out of work early today so I can enjoy the blessed wetness out there.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Tom and Holly, I feel her pain, too! I have to go up and over a 300 ft hill to get out to the neighborhood, as I live on a dead end road. So I always have this hill to climb and run down the other side at the start of each run, and the same on the way home. The elevation at the top is 9600 ft which makes it that much harder. At least my last 3/4 mile going home is downhill, though. I love flying down that hill at the end of my runs. This hill has always been a challenge for DD, too, when we go out to ride bikes. It's a steep hill and it's difficult to ride (or run) all the way up on both sides. When she was little it was too much for her and we'd have to walk our bikes. Now she can ride the whole way, but it's tough. Vista, thanks for the thoughtful post, as usual. Hugs to your brother. The difficult thing about end-of-life wishes is that they would change depending on your age and circumstances. So what you write down today would need to be reevaluated periodically. And your thinking might change depending on your diagnosis. An overly simple example would be if you had a terminal illness you might not want heroic measures, but if your disease was curable, you would. Tim, good luck on your first 10K. I see a PR for you! Cool

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone Thanks for the great start as usual Vista. I will continue to pray for your brother as well as nono's mother and Amy's DH. What Bill and Holly have posted about living wills and end of life decisions is so important. I have one and so did my parents. Being an only child it really made things alot eaiser for me when they were not able to make medical decisions at the end of their lives. Along with a living will, power of attorney is also good to have. Carolyn: I too have not congratulated you on your fine race this weekend. YOU GO GIRL! Speed day for me this morning. 6 mile w/8x400m. 1:54 for the 400's w/2:30 min recoveries, also a wu and cd mile. Total time 57:05 9:31/mile pace. I am cutting back to 40 MPW over the next four weeks as I taper for two 5k races on June 21 and July 4. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

dg.

…here’s my question of the day: Is the dense swarm of horse flies that forms instantly around my head when I step outside comprised of the same individuals who are swarming around my head 2.5 miles later at my turnaround point or is there some subtle transition that occurs over that distance? In other words, are these flies long-distance fliers or just short-distance sprinters? Discuss.
                      Tramps, I'm glad you're back. Big grin maybe they were drafting in orbit? Doug, I'm sorry too about your electricity, but love your description of your porch sitting storm watching time with your DW. I loved the picture of your little visitor. thanks for posting it. I'm behind on the threads.. but you said the other day you distracted yourself from a run by a bike ride. Was it just not time for a run, or are you hurt again? TomS... how nice you found another runner close by. I noticed your hill choice, was glad it worked well. So sorry about your lack of sproink! You of all people deserve it. I hope it comes back soon. Any ideas what to do? Ilene, I'm glad. btw, good advice this morning. Holly & Sue, another thanks. Smile meant to include congratulations for you Wildchild both for your job & for your 1/2! SR, so glad you had a super/ energetic run this morning.
                        Greetings from Manhattan friends, Just taking a wifi and coffee break to stay cool in between appointments here in the Big Sauna, er I mean Big Apple. This is a planned off day from running, but not from RA. Very provocative and meaningful words here today. There are are always great words here, but today's posts from Vista and nonoruns and breger1 and all of you have me thinking. Aamos and her DH perhaps got me into the deep thoughts area of my head before today. I try to think about how I might impact someone's life or use power for good every day and even more so now. Some days I fail miserably and on some days I hope to have made a dent. Thanks for all the great thoughts folks and hugs to you Vista and nonoruns. Tim, I am glad Spareribs offered the advice he did. It's great for all of us. I also understand completely the desire to push it in most if not all workouts. Take it from me as well (one who used to do that always), balancing rest and being patient pays off more than you can imagine at times. This is my 32nd year of running (well, a baby break in there too) and I am still learning. Be good to your body! Okay....I have to go face the pavement again. I'll be in Texas in August and this is a good dress rehearsal! Until soon, Karin/CNYrunner MTA: Tramps, I think they are long distance critters. At least the ones that hang with me always, always land in the same place.....either very clever or a "sweet" spot? hmmmm?

King of PhotoShop

I'll be in Texas in August and this is a good dress rehearsal! Until soon, Karin/CNYrunner MTA: Tramps, I think they are long distance critters. At least the ones that hang with me always, always land in the same place.....either very clever or a "sweet" spot? hmmmm?
                          When and where in TX? Spareribs
                            Hi Ribs, I'll be in Frisco from August 15-17. I get together with two childhood friends every year for a summer weekend of chatter and fun----for 25 years now and for the first time we are meeting in Texas where one of the trio has lived for 15 years. She usually comes east, but it was our turn to see her. Will you be around or in the UK then? CNYrunner
                              An hour in the Gatineau Park in Quebec this morning doing XC trails in my new Montrail trail running shoes. Shoes are great...my shape is not. Wow, what have I got myself in to. I took a seriously hard hilly trail and had to walk many of them in the heat and humidity...Felt like a slug...the legs could have been heavy from playing tennis last night for an hour and a half in the heat..But I am going to pay in less than two weeks when I have to do the Ultimate race in Val Morin...it's going to be a killer. The course description and map is not out yet but here is some of the snipets from the race director that also does Jay Peak. "The course is VERY technical. Lots of roots, rocks, boulder and super steep section. If we have rain prior tothe event or during the race those section will be so geasy that would might have difficulty even going up some of them. Some of the downhill would send you on a stretcher they are so steep and potential slipery." and "This is not a normal trail race, This is for Mountain goat and and animals...dont underestimate the course. You will wish on several occation that you should have never signed up for that thing while you are on the course but the feeling of accomplishment when done will stay wiht you for ever Now why did I sign up for this thing again.. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

GreenMan

Adventure, Tall. Smile Noticably cooler today, 70 headed to upper 80s. on pavement 1 mile walk 1.75 RCV 11:35/135 stretch break 3.00 GA-LT 8:49/150 (I was fading on this one) 1.25 RCV 11:53/155 1 mile walk Hydrate, and electrolytes for 1 hr plus JJJ
                                Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.