Masters Running

40's on the run..."If you start to feel good during an ultra, don't worry you will get over it." (Read 401 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Saltyd - glad to hear that your surgery went well! Sounds like you'll be moving around in a reasonable amount of time. Ya know, I've only ever heard Ella Fitzgerald's cover of Mack the Knife...so I never knew the words! I also don't see it on the list that Leslie posted. "Duke of Earl" for me. Virgo. But I've cancelled my birthday this year, don't really feel like adding another number Tongue Arla

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

Ran 4 or so above 10,000 feet today, then ran a little 1 mile path up over 12k. I went and did it this time, I signed up with Colorado Mountain School to do Longs Peak on friday with a prep half day thursday to get comfortable in a climbing harness on a rope even though it shouldn't be necesary. Its a pretty serious hike esp for a scared of hts wuss like myself, I bailed on it last year just over 13k. http://www.totalclimbing.com/page.php?pname=guided/fixed http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?route=long1&peak=Longs Peak We are gonna have to buzz home and reset the farm Big grin tomorrow about 5 hrs ea way. Salty glad the surg went well. Joe you'd be suprised what grows in them ditches but I never inhale when I run by. Wink Wink Arla hope school is going well for ya, good article back page of running times about running, eating and treating yourself etc as u mentioned being able to splurge just abit. You would smoke in your home town race. Kelly thanks for starting us off, good luck with the job hunt, u did the right thing.(not that u need me to say it) Hope Cindy had a safe trip, couldn't have been a good trip. Leslie hope that back straightens up!! Sounds like the conference went well. Carol nice splits on the progression run!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Howdy, everyone! Back is still barking at me. It loosened up fairly quickly once I got moving around, but tightened up again once I stopped. Strange, strange, strange. Didn't know showering could be so dangerous. Wink Did get my 5 miles in this a.m. with 10 hill repeats (1 long, 2 short, 1 long, 3 short, 3 long) for an 11:11 av pace. Legs were fairly heavy toward the end of the run, but still tackled The Hill. Alas, at the top of the first section, I hit my 5-mile mark so I got to walk the second half without any feelings of guilt. Big grin Sure was a gorgeous morning. Crisp, perfectly clear, tons of stars, and a bright sliver of moon. The kind where you can see the whole moon, but it's dark except for that fingernail sliver at the bottom. Looked like a lunar eclipse was happening. (((sigh))) Fall is on its way . . . Farmer Jim - I'd die at those heights just from not being able to breath. Joe - I am such an oldies but goodies gal. I grew up in the wrong era, music- and movie-wise. Arla - I'm with everyone else. Think you should sign up for that marathon. You'd leave everybody in your dust! Hope ya'll have a great Hump Day. It's all downhill from here! Cool (Modified for lack of spell checker)

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

r2 - wow, running over 10,000ft! Just, wow! I just slog along on hikes at that elevation. Around 11,000 I get that funny, "hey, there's no blood in my legs" feeling. Leslie - take care of that back! I had back issues years ago, it took years to completely resolve, which it finally did by being really diligent about taking care of it. I can't do the local race because I'll soon be starting training for my January marathon in Florida. No way would I be ready by November ...not to mention ready to do another in January! The good news is that I can go out and spectate, there's nothing like seeing the leaders fly by just a couple feet away from you - soooo much more impressive than seeing it on TV. Speaking of TV, I finally got around to watching the Olympic men's marathon...un-freakin'-believable that they kept that 2:06 pace in those conditions. Poor Ryan Hall looked pretty wilted, very different from how he looked at the trials. Arla

Ex runner

jfa

~ Hi All ~ Arla- wouldn't the HM on that date make more sense for you? Could be a good tune up if you feel you could have fun running it. If it seems like too much ,then that's cool. Do what's right for you. Jim- that is some serious terrain there! Holy Cow, there just is not anything like that around here! Good luck and I'm sure that you'll be careful about it. Leslie- ditto what Arla said, take care of that back.Those old tunes suit me ok too , especially the blues and some jazz.J ust threw a bunch of BB King tunes on my ipod as a matter of fact. Hi to everyone else who's around. Jewels must be busy with school starting up. Our youngest ,son 17yo, starts his senior year of HS next week! Off to college next year and then YeeHaa! an empty nest!! DW and I will do what ever we want, whenever we want! Yea, right..... Roll eyes 10.2m round the reservior tonight. Passed 1300m for the year and am currently #10 in the 1500 mile club! http://www.runningahead.com/groups/1500/YTDDistance (takes a minute to load) Whoopee! Cool

Evening all..... I've been so totally bad with running. The groin thing really thru me for a loop. I need to get my butt in gear. I've come to far to give it up now. Besides I like my virtual friends that I've made and love hearing about everyone's adventures. I just read everyone's posts so a big shout out to everyone and keep up the great work. Just got home from school, taking 3 classes this fall and I'm wooped. P.S. I've got my running clothes layed out so.......no excuses! Jewels (Libra)
              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                Passed 1300m for the year and am currently #10 in the 1500 mile club!
                Shocked Shocked Shocked Holy butt load of miles, Batman! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Watch out!....Here comes Ultrachick!....She's poised to reach the 1900 mile mark for the year as well as accomplish a monthly mileage PR of 300 miles by Aug 31!! Shocked Hi Everyone! I'm still around. Finishing up my job, kids are back in school and football has started, soccer tryouts for the school team are today and tomorrow-he's already made the private club team he was on last year, last night was the last mtn bike race night, the 5k trail race goes through September. And oh yeah...I'm flying to Utah on the 3rd! Too much to do in too little time-if I could just be done with my job now! Glad to see everyone is doing well-keep up the good work! Take care and I'll check in later! Kelly
                  If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                    Congrats Kelly, that's some serious running right there. You're a busy gal! Joe, way to go on your mileage as well. You have come along way! I'm so happy.....I got a 6 mile run in this morning and feel terrific! A couple of quickie water breaks with NO aches and pains. I was a little exhausted towards the end but didn't quit. I guess those short little 3 milers I've been doing sorta kept me "afloat" until I could throw in something longer. Have a great day everyone! Jewels
                    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                      Watch out!....Here comes Ultrachick!....She's poised to reach the 1900 mile mark for the year as well as accomplish a monthly mileage PR of 300 miles by Aug 31!! Shocked
                      My heroine! You and Joe amaze the heck outta me. And here I was admiring my measly 610 miles for the year. Wink Someday . . . . . Big grin Jewels - Glad the run went well for you. Isn't it amazing how exercise makes us feel so much better? 1 hour strength/core with 1/2 hour of stationary bike. The back is feeling better, but still just a tad tight. I've contacted someone where my friend, Karen, works to get a MAT appointment (muscle activitation technique). She swears by it, so I figured it can't hurt. Maybe it'll cure my right knee, right hip flexor, right low back! Bonkos tonight at my house. Wish me luck! I could use the $60 the winner gets. Or the $30 for second. Or $150 for third. Or even getting my $10 back as a loser. The only game I've ever played where the loser actually comes out a winner, sort of. Blush Who's fired up about college football starting tonight?!? The Hub is on Cloud 9.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Jewels - way to stick with it! That's every bit as admirable hearing about our big mileage folks! Kelly - You have almost twice as many miles so far this year as I have, and I just can't figure out how to squeeze in many more without something else giving...and I don't have any kids to deal with...how do you do it??? We killed our TV years ago, so that isn't it... Leslie - good to hear the back is starting to feel better. You had me worried. What's Bonkos? I just can't keep up with all you cool kids Wink Joe - You got me thinking - I'm scheduled for a 16 mi run on the day of the HM, maybe I could do a 3 mi loop before the start and then just take it easy...no way would I be able to race it, nor do I think that would be a good idea...but...hmmm... ...AWESOME mileage by the way, you should start chasing Kelly since you're WAAY ahead of the 1500 mi pace bunny. Big grin Arla

Ex runner

Bonkos (also known as Bunko among the "out" crowd Wink is a dice game. ) 12 women. 3 tables. 3 sets of 3 die. Buy In: $10 ea. Winner: $60, 2nd: $30; 3rd: $20, Loser: Gets their $10 back. One table is the Bonkos table. They have a bell, they control the game. Everyone takes a seat. Each player has a score card with 4 sections of lines numbered 1-6. You're playing in pairs, so there are two teams at each table. One person keeps score for both teams. Round One: The bell rings. Each person, one at a time, is rolling for 1's or 3 of a kind of anything. As long as you are rolling 1's or 3 of a kind, you keep going. As soon as you don't get a 1 or 3 of a kind, you hand the dice over to the next person. 1's are worth one point each; 3 of a kind are worth 5 points; 3 of a kind of what you are rolling for (i.e. 1's) is worth 21 points. That's a Bonkos. The scorekeeper adds the points up as the round goes along. As soon as a team at the Bonkos table reaches 21 points, the bell rings and everything stops. The score keeper writes down each team member's score on their individual cards, the losers move to the next table and the winners stay, but you change partners at the next table. You don't keep the same partner the whole night. Round Two: The bell rings and now you're rolling for 2's. Your score from each round is added to the previous one. You continue through six rounds then start all over. At the end of four rounds or six, the person with the highest score wins. I did so well one night (a looong time ago), I had well over 600 points at the end of the night. Unfortunately, that was when the buy-in was $5. Blush The main rules: No men, no children, there must be alcohol, there must be chocolate. There's a lot of screaming, yelling, and laughing. We play the 3rd Thursday of each months, except for June and December, rotate houses, and everyone chips in on bring munchies and drinks. We have a blast. It's at my house tonight, so last night was the mad dash to clean up. A couple of years ago, a candy fight ensued. I spent the next few weeks finding pieces of candy under and in my furniture. Big grin This is probably A LOT more information than you anticipated receiving, but hey, you asked!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Lelise , Lynda wants to join your Bonkos game, just her thing. The MAT thing sounds interesting. Joe and Kelly way to go on the huge mileage. Jewels nice 6 miler, hang in there. Arla which marathon u running? BTW my "altitude runs are very slow, and have to walk some of the steeper uphill parts. Haven't done alot of running miles up here but hiking and climbing at altitude will have to suffice. We drove 5 hours home yesterday then 4 hours doing field checks and starting irrigation then another 5 hrs to get back up here to the CO mtns. Did my mtn prep day today in prep for the Longs climb. I did great with the condition and coordination required for climbing but really sucked with exposure. On my guide's rec we are going to plan B Eldorado canyon near Boulder for a day rock climbing and skip Longs for this year. Today's adventure Lumpy Ridge Pear formation http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=238180 We started at midway on low angle (didn't seem that way to me) slabs and went up from there so we were over 100 feet up where we started but on a wide ledge right at the top of the red climbers route. I am such a wimp at this but still seem to be drawn to the challenge.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Farmer Jim - Are you actually doing rock climbing? If so, absolutely would not be my cup of tea. . . . although I have wanted to try the rock climbing wall at the local university. Smile Bonkos last night - Jim, tell Lynda she's welcome to join us anytime. Next game - Thursday, September 25 at Raquels' house. Wink I am soooooooooooo tired today! But we had so much fun, it should be illegal. Three of the ladies stuck around and us chatting until almost 11:00! Needless to say, I was a bit wired and consequently didn't get to sleep until sometime after 1:00. Ugh! And then it was the sleep a little, wake up. Sleep a little, wake up. Have weird dreams about needing everyone to get out of my house so I can sleep! I have to run in the morning!! So no run this a.m. Just couldn't do it on 3 or 4 hours of sleep. I can hardly function right now. Will see how I feel at the end of the day as I am scheduled for 1.5 hours today. It's . . . gonna . . . be . . . a . . . long . . . day . . . . . Dead

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Holy Bat Cave Batman ! Whoa Jim, hold on tight ! I don't blame you one bit for not runniing up there.That's certainly a challenge and it must be Sooo pretty up there. Good Luck !!! Jewels- nice run for you and glad to hear it ! Good Luck to you starting classes again. Summer sure does fly by!! Arla- it's your call with whether or not you'll feel rushed by the race. Do what's going to be fun for you. Will that event be held in your town annually going forward? BTW, I'm not evened qualified to see the bottom of Kelly's feet ,she's SO far ahead! Leslie- Way to party! Sounds like a good time for you! Doesn't hurt to skip a run now and then. Kelly- WTG with your mileage and goals!! That's a Great accomplishment for you!! Oh yea, 300 mpm is really awesome! Well , looks like John McCain has made this election even more interesting with his pick for VP. This will now be an historic election no matter who wins! Not a perfect system of government we have, but it is the best one in the world. Have Great Holiday Weekend Folks!