Masters Running

Sunday, 12.20.15 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Please accept my condolences over the passing of your FIL, Deeze. Tough to deal with at any time of the year. I'm glad your MIL appears to be OK.

How did Amy and Tet do in their races yesterday? I hope today's racers do well and have fun.

Nice pool run, TW. Stay away from those cannibalistic snow storms!

Holly, I've also often felt that the wind was blowing from more than one direction on my workout, and that they were always headwinds. I'll bet everyone gobbled up the toffee and the cheese balls you made for the party last night. Add me to the list of those who suggest that DH show some 'tough love' to DD in this instance - as Mike said, you don't want to reward/reinforce bad behavior.

Good run in the wind for you too, Stumpy.

Sorry about the sucko run, Leslie. I hope you do get that fresh start at the beginning of the week - Does your week begin today or tomorrow?

Welcome back, WC! Sounds like you and the camper van did well on the trip to AZ. Congrats on getting the heater installed along the way. Heat is generally good to have in the winter.

I'm glad your internet is back, Mike, and that (thanks to Holly) you got in a good 17-miler yesterday. It seems that you met your criteria for signing up for the MissMar., so what are you waiting for?

I'm glad you got good work done on that report, Maraposai. Sorry about the slippery snow - good decision to play it safe.

Good 7 on the hills, Evanflein. 90 miles in 12 days? Piece of cake...

I never got a nap yesterday, but I did get to lie down for 10 minutes between putting stuff away when we got back from the farmer's market and before I had to get ready for a neighbor's afternoon Christmas party. The party was great, and we overstayed our welcome, hanging around with just the hosts and a few other folks from the neighborhood and having a lively but friendly conversation about the Presidential campaigns. Got home, I made a simple dinner (roasted veggies, barbecued chicken pieces, brown rice and a little truffle aioli), and was in bed by 9:30.

No workout yet this morning - I'm heading out in a few minutes for our first (of the season) indoor racewalking training session. I'm trying to get there early to get in a few miles before the rest of the crew arrives. Once they do, I'll probably do more talking than walking...

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - Not to worry, DD did not get rewarded for her histrionics.  Things are quiet in the house (for the moment).

DH and I had a lovely time at our friends' Christmas party last night, but I am feeling a bit tired today from a slight excess of good wine and food.  I will likely spend most of the day working remotely on the computer trying to keep up with the end-of-year deluge at work, in hopes that I can take a 4-day weekend for Christmas.

6.1 recovery paced miles for me this morning in 27 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

moebo

Good morning, all! Sorry to have been out of touch over the past week or so--I've been reading lots of your posts but haven't found time to write one myself. I often wish I could post from work (but I don't dare), and then when I get home, time just gets away from me...

I was very sorry to learn of your FIL's passing, Deez. As Jay said, it's a terrible time of year to have to deal with such a loss.

Mariposai, I don't think I had a chance to congratulate you on your son's graduation! What is he planning to do now?

Holly, that DD of yours is a feisty one! Your posts about her always make me smile.

Starr, sorry to hear your DD is going through a tough time. Sounds like you got some good advice here to pass along.

Leslie, I like your attitude!

Mike, I missed hearing about Debbie's return. Did you get enough done to keep her happy?

Twocat, I followed your advice and ordered some Brooks Glycerin's from Road Runner Sports this week. I am so glad I did!

10.1 miles for me this morning, 9:38 average pace. I felt great! And as a bonus, I got to wear shorts again--how lucky is that?

Have a great Sunday!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

No workout yet this morning - I'm heading out in a few minutes for our first (of the season) indoor racewalking training session. I'm trying to get there early to get in a few miles before the rest of the crew arrives. Once they do, I'll probably do more talking than walking...

Another "ho-hum," "no workout" day for Jay with only a couple miles on his own before some group racewalking.

In the meantime, I was going to get wet anyway so, what the heck?

Put on swimming trunks for the first time since this summer and donned a so-called water-resistant wind-breaker jacket and lined gloves (to say nothing of toasty warm wool socks and rubber clogs) for a rainy-day, 43-degree, five mile commute in deference to needing to get ready for this week’s upcoming trip to Japan instead of planned racing this weekend . With the grey dawn breaking and a wild wind whipping like a whetted knife across the bridge, it was another notch in a memorable year of running:  first month in 39 years to accumulate training miles in a month with zero racing miles.  
          Where’s Singapore twocat?
          Should I look for him in Japan?
          It's really hard at first, but it helps a little to try to have wonderful Christmas memories from those days with those with whom we can’t have them anymore.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I spent a few days in Ludington visiting my mother, sister, and brother in law.  As  result, I haven't kept up to date.  I've only read today's thread.  deez, sorry to hear about your father in law.  My thoughts are with the family.  moebo, nice long run.

While I was in Ludington, I got in a 3 mile run.  Yesterday, I was back home and did a 5K race.  It was in  the mid 20s and windy.  My GPS gave me a time of 32:32, distance of 3.11 miles, and a pace of 10:27.  I was 106/142 OA and 3/3 in my AG (70+).  I did a mile before the race and 1.9 after to give me 6 miles for the day.  This morning, it was in the low 20s and windy.  I did 3 miles at an 11:31 pace.

Now, we're off to our son and daughter in law's so we can babysit tomorrow.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

We had our Christmas program, today.  I'll be honest--it wasn't as good as tomwhite's but it was pretty good.

I went 6 miles, today.  It was pretty nice out there, today.

Ryan is coming home this week.  I sure hope I can get a run or two with him while he's home...that would be my Christmas gift.  Another gift I would like is for Eric to come to Christmas.  He is saying that he will not come.  He hates us all.

Okay--I have to get going.  I still have Christmas shopping to do...and I have to go visit my dad.  See ya!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Having a lovely time visiting SpaCityRunner this weekend!  Arkansas is a secret gem.

The rocket scientist and I ran 3 Bridges marathon in Little Rock yesterday. It was his 47 state in his quest for all 50.  Wyoming, Alaska and Hawaii remain.

I think this was my last marathon because it was a good one and I doubt I will get any better now that I am over 50. 52 to be exact and finally playing with a full deck.  Cherry-picked this race so I could win 2nd place in my age group!

Great IRC yesterday! The course was perfect. Just enough hills and the bridges were fun albeit a little bouncy sometimes. The race directors did everything right. Started at 0700. Small field. We were kept warm in tents with heaters at the start. The aide stations appeared whenever I needed one.

We ran the Mo' Cowbell marathon in Missouri in early October. I was having a great race until I hit the wall at mile 23 and spent over 18 minutes getting through it.  So this Arkansas marathon was to be a redemption run. And I wanted to fix my mistakes. I accomplished this by not going out too fast, by getting proper nutrition before and during the race, and by mentally preparing for the nether miles.  Pretzels are the answer no matter what the question.

Best part of all this? Hanging out with Liz at her lovely retreat.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

......Hi Rose///.......I was just wondering where you had been........

and

hopefully not Injured

================

...50s but feels much cooler

....50-min HH walk

...............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy late Sunday.

Deez--belated condolases for you and your family.  And on a happier note, nice pictures from the Jinglebell Run.

Hi RCG!! You and Liz in the same week.  Welcome back and very nice marathon for you AND the rocket scientist.

A nice 10K on a double lake loop this morning.  Still breezey, but comfortable at 36°.  Decent pace.

It sounds like the winds we had yesterday and the day before made it your way, stumps.  Oops...did I just call you "stumps"?  Yeah--anyway--they weren't so bad here, today.

Mike, considering who calls me that the most <<<Amy, Tet>>>, I would consider it a compliment.

I just discovered the secret of keeping up with the Pace Bunny--Wait until the end of the year and then reset it to something a bit more likely.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Rose - Hiyah and congratulations on winning 2nd AG at your marathon!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

I wasn't there (at awesome Nutcracker with my DD & GD1) but several other runners were!

moebo

Pretzels are the answer no matter what the question.

I couldn't agree more.

Hi Rose! The last time I saw you was at the Mystic Places Marathon in 2005! If I remember correctly, it was your PR marathon at the time. Glad you are still running! Like you, I have been thinking that maybe I'm done with marathons. But then again, maybe not--I actually don't mind that I am not getting any better at them...

Anyway, congrats on coming in 2nd in your AG--that's what I call redemption!

Marge, you must have posted while I was typing. Great picture!

Put on swimming trunks for the first time since this summer and donned a so-called water-resistant wind-breaker jacket and lined gloves (to say nothing of toasty warm wool socks and rubber clogs) for a rainy-day, 43-degree, five mile commute . . .

It's not just anyone who can pull off this look.  My already high admiration for Tet just went up a few more notches.  

{{{Deez and family}}}

Mike - If you can swing it financially, pull the plug and run the race.

Great picture of Henrun!

Holly - Good for you guys for holding your ground.

As I type this (with one hand), I've been on the phone for over 50 minutes with Tracfone trying to figure out why I can't make phone calls.  *sigh*

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Condolences, Deez.

Hiya Rosie!  So good to see your post!

Nancy, thinking of it, but the stops for trains/expense/considering Detroit or Chicago are in the way.  Come to Green Bay?

What are Packers anyway, snort, and why we understand DD, Ms Holly!

Mega miles?  Nah uh.  Just 7 yesterday and 14.5 today.  Not even a marathon in a whole weekend.

Got Grandmasters at the 5k....so I bested the 50 and 60 yr old spry old ladies.  And a running tree w moving ornaments.

DH beat him too, thankfully.  He came in just under 40 minutes, and we had two stretches of boggy grassland, so good day!

Went to Myakka Park, beautiful area near Sarasota for a stroll and to view gators and birds.  There's a half there in November to benefit caregivers of Alzeimers sufferers.

Happy rest o your Sunday!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Thanks everyone for the condolences and hugs - I feel them all here in RA land and especially in the real life squeeze from our beloved Henry today!!  Thanks for sharing the picture Marj!!

So sorry I didn't get to see Robin at the race, but I did see Karin who passed on my greetings!!

Fun race today - they ran it backwards from the usual course and I think I liked it better. Not a PR, but haven't been racing or race training so I was pleased with my efforts - 26:08, 16/236 age group

MikeE - great CHristmas card/letter!!

Holly - glad things have quieted down!!

Tet - you are pretty amazing!!

Aamos -- wooohooo Grandmaster!!

Stumpy - look forward to seeing you at Half at the Hamptons in March - anyone else we know running it?

Great job at 3 bridges RCG!!

denise