Masters Running

Tuesday Feb 17 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 519 times)

To quote James Brown: "I feeeel good" <insert> 11 miles this morning, my longest run since last summer. Then it was off to the gym for a little strength training. I think strength training is paying off in my running, and staying consistent with running hasn't hurt either. I will take it easy on my runs for the next couple of days to ensure proper recovery (see Ribs I pay attention). People are talking about construction interrupting their favorite routes, my route today was the first time in over a year I have run it, mostly due to construction. There was a story on the evening news here that said there is going to be a big battle in NY State over stimulus money to work on roads. As of now there aren't many construction projects lined up until the money situation gets sorted out. Now time to shower, then off to the library to look at some research and check out RA every so often. Have a great day all.</insert>
    TammyinGP

ahh, me loves James Brown! I have several of his songs in my mp3 player. My son was his "Oregon friend" - JB really took a liking to him and my son knows his music so he was probably impressed with that when he first met him at age 4 and DS was rattling off all these songs of his. Mari - I love my garmin! There are still several features I haven't used yet, but I sure am enjoying it for my weekend runs and always tend to push myself a little farther than I planned on running. This past Saturday was the first time I used it in a race and LOVED being able to know my pace. I have a HM this Saturday that I'm doing as a training run, although I'll probably throw in a couple miles here and there at a HM race pace, so the Garmin will help me out in that regard also. Today will be a rest day for me, since I got in over 7 miles yesterday. I'll do stretching and core work this evening and now I'm even feeling inspired to pump up my stability ball again and start using that. It's been awhile. I learned this a.m. that a friend of ours had a heart attack and died last night. He was in his early 40's, has two elementary aged children. His wife is now a widow for a 2nd time. I think i'm still in shock, but the point of me saying this is a reminder to embrace each day, and make sure those around you - friends, family - know they are loved. Have a good day everyone.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Wouldn't it be funny if Peter and Perch lived right next door to each other all this time and are just now figuring it out? My love must be a kind of blind love I can't see anyone but you Sha bop sha bop Are the stars out tonight I don't know if it's cloudy or bright I only have eyes for you dear The moon may be high But I can't see a thing in the sky I only have eyes for you I don't know if we're in a garden Or on a crowded avenue You are here and so am I Maybe millions of people go by But they all dissappear from view And I only have eyes for you Just a little morning message for my new friend Nono. Oh, and speaking of music, I feel nice, like sugar and spice. 5 miles, of which 3.5 were slow and 1.5 were easy, then stretch at Y. Now off to get some work done. Spareribs
        xor

Maybe it could be Peter, Perch, and Enke... then they could give us a rendition of Puff the Magic Dragon. Or perhaps ilene the magic runner. She lives by the sea.

evanflein

Tammy, so sorry to hear about your friend... what a shock that must be. You just never know. Hey Byll, you could just stop at 20 and walk the rest of the way (since you need to get back to your car anyway, right?). That'd get you another marathon done AND a good supported training run. Hey, just a thought. Nice ladder, dude. I should've done my stationary bike last night, but just couldn't get away from "family stuff" do do that. We did all get to bed earlier last night, which is a very good thing for us. I just hate hate hate seeing that big goose egg on my calendar. Angry (what? I'm getting OCD about this running? Bah.) Didn't bring anything in to work for running. What's the point? It'll snow a couple more inches today and I don't have a car to get to the gym. Just hoping I can get my car later in time for a nice 5-6 miler tonight, outside (doubtful) or on the 'mill (more likely).
              Morning, everyone - First day back at work, 9:25 a.m., and I'm already tired. Roll eyes Could be the not-so-good night of sleep as it was my first night in 6 to be back in a regular bed. Gave up at 4:30 and went back to my semi-reclining position on the couch. No pain was involved, just "strangely uncomfortable." Tam - So sorry to hear about your friend. Will be thinking about his family. The rest of you are getting in some great runs. {{clapping wildly}} Kudos to you. JLynne - How's the wrist feeling? Have a good one ~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Afternoon, all! Spareribs - great song! I'll be humming that the rest of the afternoon. Amy - thanks for thinking I was mature and responsible at age 14 - I wasn't, but there wasn't much trouble I could get into in rural Arkansas at that time. I still drove way too fast on those curvy, winding hills, but I lived to tell about it. Meg - our football coach really wasn't suited for teaching anything but drivers ed, and even that was questionable. He also taught my girl's PE class - the subject? Football, of course. He had us running patterns. etc. I loved it, but many of my classmates did not. The driving terror never got a drivers license. She was kind of a tragic person - smart but very shy and overly protected. She lived at home following high school graduation and eventually tried to kill her parents with a knife. Not sure what ever became of her after that. yes, dg - the coach really did scream - as did the rest of us in the car. I'm sure that it didn't help that poor girl. No intervals this morning, but I did do a tempo run on the treadmill - 6.85 miles total. I just finished my yoga workout. Tammy - aren't Garmins wonderful???

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

dg.

(what? I'm getting OCD about this running? Bah.)
                  erika.... I've got to agree with you. Wink. Sue... omg! Tammy, I'm sorry about your friend too. Thanks for the reminder. I'll mention briefly another situation with another reminder.. A friend of my DH collapsed yesterday. He was pronounced brain dead, was put on life support until this morning, & died about an hour ago. He was in his mid to upper 50's, seemed much younger. I'm mentioning this because he hadn't been feeling well for year, but didn't go get it checked out. So take care of yourselves! This reminds me of a thread we had on CR, I think it might have been BAP that started it. Things we knew we should do but were putting off. Sorry. No run today. This morning, I just did 1 hr. of a mix of the Injured Runner dvd & prehab. Last night I did core exercises from SR & a few new things from the sports med guy that are supposed to stabilize my S/I joint. Garmins... am I the only one here that has a Polar? I'm trying to decide what to do .... since it's behaving badly. Could have it fixed, but it was overhauled last summer.
                    Sorry to hear about your friend Tammy. Life is unpredictable. Sue, wow what a tragic story indeed. Leslie gets top marks for the funniest Driver's Ed stories yesterday. I sure could use a vending machine with undies in the woman's locker room. I've forgotten mine about three times now. Hey, new business idea! Holly my cutoff for running outside is about 20F, so don't feel bad. 41F, I did 11 miles. There was construction on my route the past few months but I think they have finished. It was right at a big hill and having the construction workers there meant I had to run up the whole darn thing without walking. The muscles in my legs were really achy by 9 miles. I was hoping to do 13.1, but by 11 they were really screaming at me. Not sure why, but I suspect taking two days off and loafing around made them stiff and rebellious.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Where is Timbo anyway. One would think that all this talk of underwear would flush him out.
                      -thanks underwear meg and welcome to the uw running club. check later on with nono for proper summertime attire and very later on with tammy. Lynden too. In the meantime, maybe this will help bring bikieboy back on the road to recovery for an eventual shirtless ironman run too someday. Big grin <>censored)>>>underwear run photo - <>censored)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Renee the dog

Ah Spareribs, you need to dig deeper into the vault before I can unleash some "oldies" teasing on you! Wink Thanks or the serenade -- I'll be singing it later on the TM. Just got done my 25 min of combat yoga (my kids love to try to topple me during standing balance poses and climb on me during any floor poses). AND, got an email from the folks doing the Rehoboth Beach (DE) marathon that it is indeed going to be Nov. 21. I'm going for it. Neat thing about the timing of that marathon is that anyone who wants to do a double that weekend can do the Rehoboth on Sat, Nov. 21, and then the Phila. marathon on Nov. 22. They are under a 3 hrs drive apart (esp. since it is off-season). Obviously, that won't be my plan.... Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Oh my . . . . . . oh my, oh my, oh my. Lt. Andrew Baldwin and Oscar Galindez (less than 4% body fat??) can run by me in their tighty whities anytime! <leaving to="" take="" a="" cold,="" cold="" shower="" now="" .="" .="" .="" .=""></leaving>

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tammy, my condolences. And to your DH, dg, too. Sue, part 2 of the accelerator girl story took quite a twist. Sounds like a southern gothic tale, all right. Gym day today -- yesterday went by the boards as Frank decided to ferret out some very well-wrapped and triple-bagged chocolate I had in my tote to take to work, along with the wrappers. Fortunately, as far as that word goes in this situation, it was milk chocolate (semi sweet is worse and Baker's choc really really deadly) and not solid (cherry centers). We calculated that he prolly got about 4 oz, which for a large dog isn't deadly, but it made for a lively 24 hours that is just now winding now. [For you non-pet people, if you've read this far, there is a substance in chocolate that cats and dogs can't process and for which there is no antidote. It can be lethal. Cats tend not to partake, but dogs, most of 'em, have the same chocolate cravings that so many us share, and can get into Big Trouble.] And of course, I caught him today nosing around in my bag. Dogs are not big on the "cause and effect" concept. Pshew. As Gilda said, "it's always something." Funny note: DH joined me at the Y for annual chat with the newbie runners who are training for the Deadwood Half (and a few for the Marathon). I thought he'd be more relevant to them as he's just accomplished what they want to do--almost all are half marathoners. As we chatted, he alluded at various times to his own experiences: of course, the SCA at the 10K and open heart surgery, then the ICD. Another time, someone was asking about bicycling vs. running, so he referred back to his July 4 07 wipe out when he was coming down a hill by home at 40 mph and had a front tire blow-out. (yup, trip to the Emergency Clinic--"good news, no stitches--bad news, Black eyereason is not enough skin to sew.") Some one asked why so much time between his first and second half, so he referenced his encounter with 3 dogs in 04 that resulted in a shattered ankle and surgeon saying he'd never run again. He may never get athlete of the year, but if there were a Purple Heart... Big grin O no, I see the Jersey Boys on the horizon...... grins, A ps: AFraud or ARoid? vote for your favorite!
                            Masters 2000 miles
                              TammyinGP let me add my condolences to the list. Having just been through the same, a good friend dieing too young, I know what a shock it is. enkephalin ah a runner after my own heart! I think 20° is really pretty freaking cold to be out running too! I have done one or two at temps below that but I was not a happy about it. Nice double digit run today in much more reasonable weather. nonoruns not sure I have heard of a Yoga class like that? Sounds like a pretty tough workout! Maybe you should see if a gym is interested? Wink I am back from the neurologist. I suppose the news is as good as it can get. He does not think my problem is neurological, although he has not ruled it out. He wants me to get an MRI in search of a potential non-neurological problem he thinks may be the source. In the meantime he wants me to suspend running and all activity that stresses the leg as something of an experiment for the next month. If it starts to heal over that time, then good it is not neurological and I can just stay off until it is fixed. If it does not get substantially better then we will be back to looking for neurological causes. Since I stopped running nearly two weeks ago I am at least off to a good start on my non-running program! To be honest running with just one functioning leg has turned into a chore. I cannot say I miss it at this point. Yes, I want to get better and get going again. But while the leg is in its current state I really have no desire to run. Just as well given the doctor's orders. That is the news for today! We now return you to your regular running reports.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

"older but not dead yet"

6 miles on a bridle path that skirts the edge of the Split Rock golf course here in Pelham Bay Park. I finally decided, on a whim, to do what I haven't done in 30+ years: to actually visit, touch and take pics of Split Rock where Anne Hutchinson (http://www.annehutchinson.com/anne_h...graphy_001.htm) was supposedly (told by her son) killed by the Siwanoy Indians in 1643. If you look at my pics in the "where I run" thread, you can see that a person can fit within the split in this rock. Ever get that sense that you're a part of history if you can touch an historic artifact? I had that feeling when touching the Mayan glyphs at Xunantunich in the jungles of Belize. Needless to say, I had an interesting run. Alex
                                Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.