Masters Running

Tuesday Dailies Dec 19 (Read 40 times)

Good morning, y'all.  Starting us out.

4.1 miles.  40 degrees and foggy.  I did a tour of the Christmas inflatables and stopped to take some pictures.  Have a very Monkey Christmas.

2 miles on the treadmill after work.  We have some rain that is going to stick around, so I wanted to get in a couple more miles today.  My after work happy hour meet up cancelled, thank goodness.  Traffic is gridlocked around Nashville due to a few wrecks.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning RunnerKSA and all to post. Love the monkey! And nice run this morning.

I heard that the Amtrak was going 70 mph?? On an inaugural run? I know those trains move along, but wow. It was fortunate there weren't more people killed or seriously injured. On the national news last night, they interviewed a man who had jumped out a window on the train not realizing that the car was in the woods and the drop was more than he had anticipated. I hope they figure out what happened those injured are home with their families in time for Christmas.

Hi Mariposai! Nice to see your post. Heal quickly.

Hugs to Justin, Deez.

6.2 miles for me in a balmy 36° this morning. Lots of black ice out there, hard to see when it's still "black as night"  I'm always grateful that no one is videoing me when I'm out there, trying to prevent myself from slipping and falling. Us old ladies have to watch out for our brittle bones 'ya know

We'll spend the next two days going to grandkids' school Christmas concerts. Can't wait!

coastwalker

Mornin' RunnerKSA, Jlynne, and everyone else.

Good workouts to start the morning, ladies.

Monday’s workouts:
        RunnerKSA (3 drizzly morning miles + 2.2 post-work TM miles)
        Tramps (5 morning miles - yay!)
        Jlynne (6.2 morning miles in 30° temps + 15 min of weights & core)
        Dave59 (4 misty morning miles in the dark park in 40° temps)
        Holly (40 min of weights & core)
        Tomwhite (token 20 min-Xbike)
        Tet (almost 2 hrs of up&down 1202 stairs)
        Deez 1.2 challenge miles)
        Surly Bill (8.25 East Bay ridge trail miles with 820 ft. elevation gain at 8:51 pace)
        Mike (10 miles, including 3X2 at ‘strength’ pace)
        Mariposai (1 block walk, free of knee pain)

Great pics yesterday, StarrRuns. Metalmancpa - not so much - ouch! KSA - great shot of you and the Christmas monkey.

To me, anyone who takes their running seriously is a ‘real’ runner. Am I setting the bar too low?

I did about 30 min of stretching and exercises this morning, plus 2 walking miles with, like Jlynne, black ice in too many places. It was good to get out, but it was not my idea of a good time.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Quickadder

Out the door at 5am to run with DD. 64F and a thick wet fog met us and DD bailed on the run, so I did 7.5 miles at 9:34 pace on my own.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

metalmancpa

Giving my toe another rest day. I think it's just a bruise, so sometime this week I'll get back to running.

I picked my DD up from the airport last night around midnight as she is on leave for the holidays from TX. She just finished her first semester of the 3-yr Army program to get her doctorate (got all A's). Her Boston Terrier (Pele) is all set to deliver presents to the good little boy & girl dogs 

C-R

Hey everyone,

Love the pics. Especially the Monkey. Karen - you need to share that with Main Monkey.

Rant On/ Terrible tragedy with the train. Seems the speed limiters were installed but not working. As an engineer and someone who worked on aircraft, I for the life of me, cannot understand why people skip built in safety mechanisms. I recall having a rather heated argument with an O-6 on the flight line about not letting his bird off the ground due to a final safety issue which he thought was trivial. But no way was I letting it go. If what I read is correct someone should have stood up for those passengers long before they pushed from the station. Rant off/

On Sunday I managed to really tag my ankle on the trail run. I jammed on a rock around 5 miles and didn't think much of it until I almost couldn't walk that evening. Thankfully it was much better yesterday and my streak is still alive. 5 treadmill miles today.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Whew, Norm!  Glad you could salvage the streak!

OMG-  that dog!  How adorable!  ^^^^^

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

Back home but busy day. Managed to get in 2 miles this afternoon in shorts in sunny 50 degrees. Strange December weather for New England.

evanflein

Hey metalman, anyone dare tell Pele his shirt's on backwards? Smile

Love the Christmas Monkey, RunnerKSA!

C-R, sometimes it seems those whacks or jams that should really do some damage don't hurt for very long and you're back at it. Then there are the strange "where did that come from?" tweaks and niggles like Leslie's foot that end up being show-stoppers.

And we have more snow. Yay, sure needed that (NOT)! Weather sites all say something different but bottom line is we're gonna get some snow, like at least 3" and maybe up to 7" (but I doubt that). Could get 15" in Valdez, but they always get a lot. So, I was planning a treadmill run later anyway but lately I've been noticing some shin soreness (see note to C-R, above) that seems to be getting worse even with taking yesterday off. I'm blaming the last week of uneven slick surfaces and running on ice but who knows.

Cute dog!  Don't think he's really diggin' that outfit, though.

Monkeys!!

I'm still here, still hobbling around on crutches. Had an x-ray yesterday - of course it didn't show anything.  I'm currently trying to talk my primary into writing me a prescrip for a walking boot befor a diagnosis has been obtained.  (Kinda hard to obtain a diagnosis when you can't get into anybody. )  Using crutches is actually causing my foot to swell some and causing other issues, which I'm assuming is not good.  So my argument point was that while keeping my foot in a solid place, a walking boot would allow fluids to disperse out of my foot.  Also, it's about 2 blocks from where I park to the building I work in AND I have a 2nd floor office with no elevator.

I wiggled my foot around a bit in my shoe this afternoon - there's an issue regardless of what the x-ray says.

On top of that, at some point during the night Sunday night, one of my cats peed in one shoe of basically a new pair of running shoes.  The Hub had a pair of shoes sitting right next to mine, but did the cat pee in one of his shoes?  NO!

I just need this year to over and done with.  It's pretty much sucked body issues-wise.

Sorry for ranting . . . (slips out to pour out her bowl of cry baby soup . . . .)

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

To me, anyone who takes their running seriously is a ‘real’ runner. Am I setting the bar too low?

No, I don't think so.  I will never win a race, or even come close to being fast, but I have run 38 marathons, 10 of which were 50ks, and run Boston twice, so I admit I would be sort of insulted if someone said I was not a real runner.  I AM a real runner.  A real SLOW runner, but still....

Leslie - this has just been such a tough year for you, I am feeling for you.

RunnerKSA - you know, I really enjoy your posts.  I cannot fathom why that other group threw you out.  Bizarre.

I can just see that dog rolling his eyes...

My Rosie dog has been vomiting the last few days, and after the sudden death of my Daisy dog in April, I am paranoid about letting these things go, so I took her to the vet.  Fortunately she is not apparently on the verge of death. Likely she is eating something she should not be.  Like maybe the shed.   Only 9 months old, she is still in the chewing phase and only the Good Lord knows what she is munching on when we are not watching.

MikeE - got your Christmas letter and read it out loud to the family and we were all in stitches.  You are amazing and funny and still had a great message.  Please post it here to share - it is too good to miss.

4.8 miles for me on the TM today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

RunnerKSA, I like the Monkey picture!

To Norm and Leslie and Erika and everyone else with hurting parts - heal up quick!

We're supposed to hit the deep freeze this weekend, with more snow, but today was still pretty nice, so I ran 5.2 miles around the neighborhood dirt roads at sunset, and it was still in the 30s.

Yesterday I went rock climbing with DH, but after hiking with full climbing packs up a really steep trail, we found several groups in line for the climb we wanted to do, so we hiked all the way back down, and only climbed one short pitch off another side trail.  Oh well, it was a nice day to be outside - it was in the 50s - even if we didn't get much climbing in.  And I could feel my quads today after that steep  hike with a heavy pack!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

coastwalker my bar for being a "real runner" is actually pretty high. Unless you can even think of making the Olympic trials you are not a "real runner." You are, like all of us here, a jogger. When you look at the top runners you see they are in a totally different sport than the local race crowd. Then again so what? Nobody is paying me to run. I do it because I like to. That, to me, is what running races and doing long runs day-in and day-out is about. Fun! For health, anyone on this forum could cut way back and reap 90% plus of the benefits.

metalmancpa what is the PhD in? How can they hand out a PhD in just three years? Typically it is two years of classes then three or more years to write a dissertation.

fatozzig after a day like that you have a right to rant.

tetsujin209 hmm, I suspect that my feet after some of my adventures with toenail mangling might make for an exception to your never having seen bare feet you did not like streak. You might just want to stay away from me when I take my shoes off.

Ran 7 with my training partner. She is retiring at the end of the year. A few months later she and her spousal equivalent will move to Florida. I am going to miss having her to run with. I need to think of a retirement/parting gift. We have been running together for about a decade now. Any ideas?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

7.4 @ 8:04

Back on the flats, temps down in the 50's, rain on the way tonight.

Leslie; have you tried a compression sock/sleeve? Could you even get one ON? That would help with the swelling, and there's always an elastic wrap if you can't get a sock/sleeve on. Much sympathy for your situation. Regarding the cat pee, I mean. Nasty stuff, never seems to wash out! I have used the Nature's Miracle EXTREME (red bottle) and it does work, but it's not instant. You have to douse the shoe with it and let it sit for a few days, wash it, then hit it with the spray again and let it sit a few more days and you'd be surprised at how effective it is. I think the key is letting it sit until the Nature's Miracle evaporates on it's own, it takes a while for those enzymes to do their job. The elderly cat for some reason took a dislike to my TimBuk2 messenger bag and spritzed it. Using the above method, I was able to reclaim it.

Yes yes, everyone is a "real runner", everyone gets a trophy. I'll say elites from now on when describing such people. That's why I originally used quotation marks around "real runners", because it is a vague description that apparently means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Sorry I triggered everyone, I didn't even mean to this time! 

who DOESN'T like dogs in clothes?! 

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

1.0 challenge mile after working a busy 15 hour shift!!

I did get to see a very cool surgery for a post-op wound infection that we had to get Plastic Surgery involvement!!

Justin still exhibiting very off behavior ;(

Read all your posts and thankful for all of you but I need my bed!!

MIKE E - please please please post your letter!!

denise