Masters Running

Thursday, 9.8.16 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm sorry, but I'm in a rush again this morning. I'm having BWB (Breakfast With the Boss), and then I have to put the finishing touches on a presentation I'm giving to an association of town planners this afternoon. Because of that presentation, I'm wearing long pants today for the first time since about mid-July, and I'm not liking it. I'll be back in shorts tomorrow.

6.6 RW miles this morning in 66F temps with foggy and misty air. There were a few times I could only see white in the beam of my headlamp. I started out pretty slow, but picked up the pace as I went along, and was going at a decent rate for the last 2-3 miles. The dampness kept me a little cooler than I would have been otherwise, so I appreciated it this morning.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

'morning, just still.....boring me, 6 again.  really feeling a bit cooler......sorry Jay has to be in long pants......and to a sort-of institution, Happy Birthday, have a good day, make it so!    grins, A          Image result for september 8 in history\

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Jay - I've been wearing skirts all summer and wore slacks to work yesterday.  Felt very weird and I didn't like it, either.  Good luck with the presentation.

Howdy Do, Aamos.

35 min on the stationary bike last night.

45 min of core/ST this morning.

I found my bike helmet and told The Hub I wanted to start riding my bike like a real person.  He does not think that's a very good idea.  Not that I blame him, considering my lack of gracefulness and the last time I rode it I crashed into the bushes twice in five minutes.  But I'm thinking if I take it out in the Arcata Flats where there's little traffic, I should be able to keep from injuring myself . . . maybe . . . .

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

first five morning ‘mutin’ miles for a while

cloudy but no drizzles.

55o

I  RAN IN SHOES
          In order to avoid having to buy a new pair of tennis-type shoes needed for a Hawaiin shindig tomorrow night, I dug out of a dusty box in the garage <<<(hoarder/hoarder)>>> an old but still-very-brand-new pair of Merrell Siera Leon trail shoes I won in a drawing in a race to the top of Mt. Si in 1997. I wore ‘em for all five miles, which is at least five miles longer, if not more, than I’ve worn a pair of running shoes for any reason in nearly twenty years.

KNEE
          Oddly enough, I immediately started having knee pain but it dissipated when I realized I was heel-striking as of old.  A lot harder to do than running barefoot but I consciously switched to a mid-foot strike for the rest of the way and had no further knee problems.

ps - I only wore thongs or nothing when I was there
          but what to people usually wear in Hawaii?.

But I'm thinking if I take it out in the Arcata Flats where there's little traffic, I should be able to keep from injuring myself . . . maybe . . . .

It only takes one careless car so, unless there's a wide shoulder and you have a large reflective vest and lots of brilliant lighting (even in daylight),  DON'T.    The Cascade Bike Club disseminated a study a couple of years ago documenting the tendency of drivers to swing subconsciously over even closer to cyclists even where there was a shoulder.  I definitely  believe it based on being one of only two early-morning skiers on the entire slope of the Exhibition Run in Sun Valley but who neverlheless managed to collide about half way down. It wasn't that bad though as she was a member of the U.S. Olympic team at the time!   yippee\

ps - jay, no problem, just get up an hour earlier than usual when you're busy, especially if it's your birthday

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I definitely  believe it based on being one of only two early-morning skiers on the entire slope of the Exhibition Run in Sun Valley but who neverlheless managed to collide about half way down. 

On Dg's advice, I have been trying caster oil packs on my knee for 3 of the last 4 days.  I take a soft cloth moistened with caster oil and put it on the knee, wrap in plastic wrap, and then put a heating pad on it for 30-40 minutes.  The oily cloth just goes back in a jar between uses and you can re-use it over and over.  It actually seems to be helping, or maybe it is just the heating pad, but I was able to run today, not exactly pain-free but better than it has been.

4 miles for me this morning in 73 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Good to hear Holly. Hope you keep getting better.

Bike riding is great cross training Leslie. My PT talked me back into it and its great for the quads. Crashing into bushes aside.

Amy boring can also mean consistent. Glass half full.

Long pants Jay. Not here yet but looking forward to it.

Got a nice 5 today. Been busy with a major project over the past seven days. Usually until 10 or 11 at night. Hard to squeeze in a run but rewarding when I get one. Well back at it.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Had the day off work and got in a early 6.4 in just about an hour.

the rest of my morning was spent with two young ladies (one 20 the other 22) helping one sell a car to the other. Lol. Pick up first girl to meet 2nd at dmv. On the way I find out she has no insurance. We stop for quotes. Can't get insurance because we don't have vin #. Go to dmv 2nd girl can't find title. Go in dmv . Do a quick title on car then transfer that to 2nd girl she has wrong address on license so we have to change that. Back to insurance office get insurance. 1.5 hours. Back to dmv get plates . 1 more hour. take girl who sold car home.

My good deed for the day done.  They didn't have a clue how to do this.  Now they know. Lots of laughs makes me happy to be with young people and remember what it was like to be in your 20s. We old people worry to much.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

TammyinGP

love the pics you posted yesterday of your daughter and husband, Carolyn! Looks very nice. I think where they had the wedding is right near where i used to live. Is it at the place that used to be a monastery long ago? 

MikeE - give me your coaching tips. I start coaching the middle school XC team next week. They still didn't have a coach and school started 3 days ago. Out of desperation they called me up. you KNOW they are desperate to call me. I've never coached. fortunately, it's only 9 kids and i'm co-coaching with someone else, who has also not formally coached. oy!

Tammy

Hello everyone, I haven't been here in years but this week I have once again taken up running after quite a bit of time off and it wasn't hard to find this forum again.  I am surprised at the number of familiar names.  Anyway, on to the running report - I have found a very good C25K app and a new pair of Hoka One Ones and all is well.  Today I completed Day 3 of the C25K WOOT.  I hope to be a regular runner again after too many years off.  I have, however, kept in decent shape and so maybe the transition will be smooth.

coastwalker I feel your pain at wearing more clothing than the weather allows. I would also feel really sorry for you but I have to get dressed up in a full blown monkey suit tomorrow and wear it all day and into the evening. 

evanflein more pool running!? I do not know how you and tomwhite do it!

Holly S. good for Max Kitty!

C-R rough deadline you are facing. Good luck!

hallar I must say my good deed for the day was yesterday and I suspect it would get much more mixed reviews than yours! Very nice of you to go through all that to help them out.

Ran 22 today. What a slog! It started out all right. Then the temperature went up and with it the dew point. Yech! Crawled the last couple of miles. The Rosie Ruiz Fan Club team t-shirts arrived today! The big relay race day is approaching!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MikeE - give me your coaching tips. I start coaching the middle school XC team next week. They still didn't have a coach and school started 3 days ago. Out of desperation they called me up. you KNOW they are desperate to call me. I've never coached. fortunately, it's only 9 kids and i'm co-coaching with someone else, who has also not formally coached. oy!

Tell 'em to RUN!!  

Hi, Monday!

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Leslie - remember those cohorts of mine dressed as clowns in the relay? and remember the super scary one with the painted face that will instill a lifelong fear of clowns in all children?  yeah, that's who's coaching with me. this outta be fun 

Tammy

spacityrunner

Tell him to wear his clown costume.  The kids will have no problem running...no coaching needed 

Leslie - remember those cohorts of mine dressed as clowns in the relay? and remember the super scary one with the painted face that will instill a lifelong fear of clowns in all children?  yeah, that's who's coaching with me. this outta be fun 

Trails Rock!

evanflein

So good to see Tammy posting! And you'll love the coaching, I'm sure you'll do great! Even with (or because of?) the scary clowns.

Twocat, well, what can I say. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I start challenging myself to hit a time goal. No time for it today though because of meetings all day. Maybe I'll call it a rest day, but trying to see if DH wants to go to the gym. Not sure how the leg will like the elliptical.

Leslie, I haven't been on my bike all summer!! I keep saying I want to get a ride in before the snow hits. Yes, I said the "s" word. It's not far off for us, unfortunately. If you go, please be careful. And crashing into bushes is much better than into cars!

Holly, Yay a run! I'm one of those who seriously doubts the efficacy of anything applied externally doing anything to help an internal injury, and agree it's probably a combination of the heating pad (ice is overrated) and the time off that's making the difference. But hey, whatever seems to be working, just keep it up!

Norm, so awesome about your son and his running. I meant to say something about that earlier. How extensive was the knee work you had done? Glad to see you getting back out there, too.

Hi Monday! I remember you from awhile ago. Glad to see you back with the C25k program, it's a good one.

Jay, sorry about having to wear pants  but I hope the presentation went well.

Tet wore shoes?? I had to go back and read that again.

A looooong day of strategy meeting today with our consultant and our management team. Looking at options for our plan for the next year or two. Our top systems person is resigning early next month, and she carried most of the weight of getting our health care reform tax forms out this year. Should have spread that load a little more since now we're kind of SOL and need to look at an outsourcing solution asap. Anyway, just another fun day at the office. Might go work out now, might just go home and call it a night.

Tet wore running shoes? I still can't figure out why, some Hawaiian thing? I kind of hoard shoes too, but not for that long!

Jay, I too had to wear long pants one day this week, mainly because I didn't want to wear sandals since it was pouring rain and it is always so cold in the office. Now I see the East coast is in for record heat tomorrow. Hope no one is racing, gotta check the list. Twocat, what marathon are you doing? Greta 22 miler in not so perfect conditions.

I ran on Tuesday and somehow avoided breaking the Running Rule #1 but it did sprinkle just a few drops. Tonight was 3 1/2 miles with 2 miles at race pace. The weather for the half on Sunday looks great, 53 at the start but it could get breezy. My foot and lower leg have been mildly sore since Saturday so I put a heating pad on it last night for a while and it felt fine this morning. I am glad it is helping you too Holly. Erika, did you find out what is wrong with your leg? My coworker has what she thinks is a stress fracture and has been limping for two weeks now. She was on a Ragnar team in August so ramped up mileage for that. Hope the pool running doesn't drive you bonkers.

Tammy a coach! Wow that is super nice of you. Is it the boys or girls team?

Monday is back! I love the C25K program, that is what I used back in 2004 to get started.

Leslie, I have tipped my bike over (stupid clip in shoes!) but have not crashed into anything. You are so great at keeping up with strength training. I have some 5 pound weights in the tv room and do some sets but quickly get bored.

Amy, I read one of the books you mentioned, My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry , by Fredrik Backman, the Sweedish author. It was different that anything I have read in a while and I enjoyed it. Now I have Jon Hassler's first book, Staggerford. He is a Minnesota author and it is about small town life in a Minnesotan town.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich