Masters Running

40's- 50's- 60"s On the Run (Read 472 times)

Carol - Done!

Arla - I've been getting really thirsty starting around Mile 18 or so.  Two weeks ago, I had nearly emptied a 26 oz bottle in about 3 or 4 miles.  One of those usually lasts me 8 miles - taking in approx 6 oz every 20 minutes.  Since I drink the Ultra and Amino, this would make me prone to taking in too many calories along with what I'm eating.  So to combat that and the thirsties, I will be carrying a 20 oz bottle of water to sip on, as well.  I will have to make sure I still get the right amount of the sports drink in me, but for the in between times of drinking that, I can sip water and try to satisfy the thirst.  Plus, after awhile I just need plain ole refreshing water.  It really helps me out.  It's weird - first I was dealing with nausea, now I'm dealing with being hungry while running and being thirsty.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thank you!  Just knowing I have your support makes me feel like a winner, regardless whether I'm selected or not!
      Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Carol Done!

Having trouble getting runs in this week but finally got in a 4 miler today.  Lulu had to stay home, just wasn't up to being dragged today. Lynda said she threw a major fit when I left her. She is pretty hard on my sore hands on leash and enough traffic she needs to stay close now as farmers/ranchers are busy now.

When its cold I don't feel the need to drink alot during a run but mine are usually capped at 2 hours so nothing like some of you. In the summer I have to be careful and consciously make myself drink, maybe more so working than running cause I get easily distracted at the task at hand. Moutain hiking I carry 20 oz of water and 20 oz of sportsdrink in the winter,  and 64 oz in the summer for a normal day and up to 120 oz for an alpine start moutain day( 2- 3 am start). I choose between  2  different platypus bladders in the summer a med size and the large one depending on the day.

Joe that sucks getting swerved at. I have to tell ya a story about my crazy friend, call him Don to protect his identity. Anyway he was a good runner and ran small college track mostly 1/4's . Anyway after college he moved to a very rural  very impoverished tough community to farm on his own. He was out for a run on 3 separate nights and the same car ran him off the road. On the 4th nite he took his 357 and emptied it in the trunk of said car after it swerved at him again. Never happened again. I said Don what if you woulda hit someone, you could have killed them!! He said no problem, I aimed low and to the right.................

Arla hope the legs come around, those downhills are killers, why I'll never do the slacker half with mtnchk and hub :-). Congrats again if you didn't see it before. It is disconcerting for sure to see someone face plant ahead of you. In Vegas I never saw hit but saw the ambulance and heard the sirens as a 31 yr old guy collapsed at the finish line 10 minutes ahead of me and died 48 hrs later. It did give me quite the pause seeing the ambulance rolling.

Cindy hope you free up enough to enjoy some of that spring mtn weather and get some runs or turns in but still make some bucks.

Lots of drama here on all fronts this week. Finaly said the heck with it I don't care I need to run today and did.

On the plus side looks like I will start spraying wheat tommorow with fertilizer and 1/10 of an oz per acre of herbicide for winter annuals, mostly mustards. Works like a charm and very safe to handle.

Hiya to the rest of the group.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

been mia for a few days.  But still getting runs in. 

Jim....nice 11 miler the othr day.

Joe...signing up for races.....it's the races that keep me motivated.....when i'm motivated.  Keep your eyes peeled for vehiculars.

Arla.....here's to those legs getting back to normal.  I've never ran many downhills so not sure what that's like.  After the marathon I'm usually sore in the hips for a few days. 

Leslie...Nice weekend last week.  And on that crappy run.....well as Forrest Gump would say....It happens.  And hey....Forrest is was a runner too!

Carol....Will be recommending you shortly. Done.  I've always felt that fast is not a deal.  Oh, sure.....I think the fast ones are awesome......just like the slow ones. 

Heys out to stumpy and mtn and ultra and jewels and tipperboy and evryone else.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

4 today with a tempo portion. I tried to do the tempo too fast and couldn't hold it, got a ways to go to get in BB shape.

Ev glad you're back on the board.

Leslie don't fret bad runs hit us all once in a while and you have knocked out some incredible runs lately.

I need the temp to rise about 20 degrees to spray so it won't be long and I'll be burning diesel today, official kickoff to the farming season. Better check markets again and get to going outside, just about have the planning portion of the day handled.

have a good one

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone! Look who's trying to get back into the running world :-). Life has been crazy busy this winter. I don't know where I left off before but I've been busy working, kid stuff, school and yes, getting my butt back out there running! My achilles had a flair up back in February and I took a whole week off with no running (can you believe it?) and I've been on the steady build up since then-flirting on the edge of disaster it feels like.

Last week was my first 20 miler (21 to be exact) and clearing 50m for the week. It went well and I'm feeling my usual tiredness from getting up early and staying up too late. Big news this week is that I signed up for the VT100. Jack and I are done so this is a big step for me to move forward. I've never done a 100 in the middle of summer so I'm working on a plan now and if all goes well, I'm shooting for Virgil Crest 100 in September (was Iroquois Trails 100, same one I've done for past 2 years) too.   {{{deep breath}}}

Otherwise, boys keep me busy. We had a good basketball season. Still ski season-I'm almost done teaching at Stowe and tried to put in extra time there this winter and other news is that I've begun working in the gym at the Stowe Mountain Lodge-the new hotel that's been built here.  So I'm still at my personal training job in Burlington Mon-Wed, Stowe gym Thurs and Fri and ski instructing on Sat. Living in Charlotte, I'm an hour from Stowe but have spent some nights at friends' houses to save some traveling when I don't have the boys.  Also taking an Intro to Psychology class online which I'm barely keeping up with but doing well. I've got a paper due on Tuesday on Depression and I'm trying to relate it to athletes (kind of scary almost seeing myself in some of the research).

Hope everyone is well-I read some of the posts and remembered Leslie's getting close to her 50 miler!!  Joe,  looks like your cruisin' and busy signing up for stuff. I've got some work ahead of me to catch up. Jim, can relate to the weather-50 yesterday, 20 today. No desire to put my skis on today.

Take care and I'll try to stay in touch-I'm sucked into Facebook as Cindy knows but I've also fallen out of the habit of keeping my running log-was a drag last fall posting walks instead of runs and I need to get back on it.

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Kelly!!!!!!!  I was just wondering about you the last two days and have been meaning to get off a "What's up?!?" email.  Nice to know you're still alive and functioning.  Good luck prepping for your 100-milers.  You're gonna do great.

Farmer Jim - Loved the story about your friend!  ". . . aimed low and to the right . . ." *snicker guffaw snork!*  Wouldn't that be fun to do sometime.

Hi, Ev.  We've missed you.

Bonkos last night - and I won.  $60!  Woo hoo!  Then I get home around 10:30 and 3 of The Hub's buds are there drinking.  I plastered a smile on my face, chit chatted for a few minutes, went and took a shower, chit chatty for a little while longer, then about 11:15 said, "Okay, get out of my house.  It's after 11:00."  Nice guys - one of them is who The Hub is trying to get a bbqing catering biz together with - but at that late hour, especially when I have to work the next day - Get Out.  Guess they had shown up only about 1/2 an hour before.  Who the heck shows up at someone's house at 10:00 at night?  The Hub had seen them earlier in the evening and had told 'em to come over for awhile if they wanted, but he sure didn't mean that late!

Anyway - ended up sleeping like a log.  I woke up once with a bad calf cramp, woke up again to feed the zoo around 5:00, then hit the hay again 'til around 8:00.  I don't sleep that good very often, and it was soooo wonderfuuuuul! 

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Les.....nice haul!

I had a 12miler planned for yesterday.  40+ mph wind caused my lack of mental toughness to surface.  I did not run.  I felt bad and guilty all evening.  I mean the last two hard weeks of marathon training and I didn't get it done.

So this morning in 40+ mph wind and cold sideways rain stinging my face, I did 10 miles.  It was fabulous!  God really reminded me that I was alive this morning, I tell you what!   The 40 mph wind was good, but the rain.....well as celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse might say....it kicked it up a notch....BAM!!

I  needed this run mentally if not physically.  It was evrything I thought it'd be....and more!

OK.....a bit too dramatic........but it's all a little tongue in cheek.

Have a great weekend!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Cripes, Ev.  40+ mph winds??  Definitely a test for the hardiest for souls.  You done good, son.  Be very proud of yourself.

20 miles - 4 road, 16 trails - today with as much climbing as I felt I could muster.  My legs are tired.  My back is tired.  I'm tired.  I so desperately need a massage.  I am very ready for El Tapero to begin.  So, so ready.  Now I must go eat something else.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice run, Ev.  Haven't run in much like that, but the feeling of a good run in adverse conditions is a special one.

Leslie--Good 20 for you.  No reports of nausea is good, right?  Only (?) 10 tomorrow?

Carol--your recommendation is done.  Not sure I can do you justice, but I gave it a shot.  Best of luck.

Jim--certainly some advatange to living in the country, I guess.  As well deserved as your friend's response might be, I think they probalby frown on that around here .  How on earth do you measure something at that tiny level?

Hi Kelly and everyone else.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hey, there's Kelly!  Like the description "flirting on the edge of disaster" Smile.

Jim, glad you said to heck with it and ran!

Leslie, sounds like there was more than one kind of zoo at your house.  Nice 20!  Got another back to back this weekend?

Stumpy, how's the gym treating you these days?

Ev, wish I could fake some enthusiasm be so positive about the wind today.  10 in 40 mph wind = at least 15 in the calm. 

Rode my bike up to church to help my hubby set up chairs today.  Had the 35+ mph wind at my back/side most of the way, but chickened out on riding home back into it.  Nothing "aero" about me on my mountain bike.  Jammed the bike into hubby's  the trunk for the ride home. 

Thanks so much for your support and recommendations!  I am overwhelmed that you guys would take the time to do that.  Like I said, you have already made me feel like a winner no matter what.  You are some sincerely good hearted people. 

Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Hey Gang!

Notice how nonchalantly Leslie posts 20 milers now?? 

Nice to see you popping in here Kelly!  (yup, she's on fb a bit more...)

Good badassery points for doing the wind people!!  that's often my failing point...well, & heat, which really isn't an issue lately....supposed to hit upper 70's on Tues though....& more snow by Friday!  Go figure!!

Carol - I did your recommendation on the fly, so it just really says that ALL you running friends love you to pieces! Smile

Jim - when leash is mandatory, we clip handle to belt via carabiner & viola! hands free!

Joe - can't  tell you how many times I've been tempted to pitch a rock at particular cars!   makes trails even more tempting, eh?

How's Arla's recovery coming? 

Hey Kevin!!

Did a little over 5 "neighborhood hilly" miles, some in the mud & snowcone type snow (cause Mairead insisted!)  w/Doug this am....not terribly fast...need to rebuild my fitness level for running - Doug says I just transitioned from being able to do 10 miles to being able to do 10 massages!   like that's gonna help!  anywho, running uphill whilst highstepping shin deep snow is a bit of a workout!  Kinda wish I could have Spring conditions for a few more weeks of torture!  training!

Ciao!~

Cindy

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group