Masters Running

40+ on the run w/e 1/18 (Read 459 times)

You all have heard of Barefoot Rick.......last week he ran 10 miles in 6* F. Yep, barefoot! Today he ran 6.5 miles in one inch of freshly fallen snow. Yep, barefoot! He's crazy...........Surprised Arla, Re: The gym.......New Year/New Plans.........hit the gym 3x's a week, alternating workouts to include, legs, back, arms,abs and just overall core stuff. I've even ventured over into the free weight area where all the sweaty, grunting and powerful looking men are. One area of the gym is nothing but mirrors with jumpropes, those big balls, steps, mats, lighter free weights and other gadgets so I'm really playing around witha little bit of everything. I've never sweated so much with a dang jumprope with just 10 min. of jumping. I really hope my running starts shaping up. I got in 4 miles yesterday with no knee pain so that is a plus. Going for 5 or 6 tomorrow. I have also been eating healthier and watching my portions and I have lost 5lbs. since the new year! Woot, woot! O.K., more info that you asked for but........I'm excited about making some changes this year! I am not giving up my beer though. Dang it, that's the only bad habit I've got and we are all aloud to have one bad habit. Yes Jewels
    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - The barefoot thing has really helped with what I think was the beginning of plantar fasciitis. It's actually pretty fun, too, I was surprised how easy it was to get into a natural-feeling gait after a couple of minutes! I just wish my skin wasn't so tender, even the high school track felt abrasive on my skin. Jewels - wow - congratulations with the workouts and nutrition strategy! The gym sounds like fun, as does mixing up the workouts to keep it fresh. Sweating, grunting, powerful men, eh? I think after all that working out with weights and grunting and all that you're allowed from time to time to have a tasty beer or three Wink Arla P.S. Hoping signing my name doesn't annoy, I was told elsewhere that it's a no-no on forums because you have an avatar with your name (or other identifier) already displayed. Undecided

Ex runner

xor

Signing your name isn't an annoyance on this forum, or many others for that matter. Heck, many forums have a whole "signature" field you can pre-populate. This one does. What *is* an annoyance, though, is people who put 100 lines of text in their sig. Signing "-Arla" or "-Bocephus" or "Queen of Lemon Chicken" be cool. Here. Things are different in different places. Anyway, I'm far more annoying than you'll ever be and I never sign my name. (or do I?) --El Kabong

Ultrachick

Hi Guys! Top of the evening to you (almost middle of the night here on the frozen East Coast). Leslie-hope you feel better sooner rather than later. Jewels-great job at the gym! Don't let those big, musclely guys intimidate you-they're really a bunch of weenies trying to pick up chicks with their bodies and not their brains. Unlees they're hot-then flirt shamelessly Big grin. Arla-fabulous time for your marathon! and you're already looking to do another! That's a good sign! and sign your name all you want-I do-must be some old school thing and I have no clue about forum etiquette except not to swear or blatently insult anyone unless it's Joe! ( Evil grin) Just kidding! Joe! You're beating me in monthly mileage! Must go run.......Wink El Kabong-you crack me up too-glad to hear you're married. Carol? Cindy? Jim-make some turns for me-it's too freaking cold here. i have ski school tomorrow and my schedule says I'm available for privates which really means it's too cold and I get to sit around the base lodge all day. I'll bring some workout clothes and see if I can weasel my way into the spa. I did sign up today for a PSIA tele clinic in two weeks to refresh my memory on how to tele ski and teach it. Watch out Jack just joined the Masters group! Ran a mile on the treadmill today. Knee felt fine but still a little puffy and nice bruise startingto show. Will try to go longer tomorrrow and longer on Sunday-I have to catch Joe! Big grin KELLY
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
            Hey Folks - I'm back, and right where I started. Evil grin - still with no answers, after spending 4 hours in the ER, having MORE blood work done, as well as a CT scan of my head. Guess the fact that I progressively felt better with no food in my stomach didn't count for much. They did the scan because I just can't get rid of this damn headache. It's almost constant and, until I eat, stays at a low level. Both the blood work and scan came back fine. Finally got out of there around 8:00, got home and ate some chicken noodle soup. Ended up with slight nausea and, of course, the headache came back. So I'm scheduled for the hydascan for Wednesday. If that doesn't show anything, they want to do another endoscopy. It seems to me they're discounting the gall bladder because I don't have pain in the upper right side and I'm not vomiting. The pain, nausea, headaches, flu-like feelings, constipation - they seem confused by them. And when I say "they," I mean any medical person I talked to. The ER doc talked with Dr. Loncar (who I saw on Wed), who was on call last night, and he's the one who said to tell me to get the hydascan and then we'll talk. So it was a waste of time and a HUGE waste of money. I'm getting an ulcer just thinking about the cost of all this. And I'm frustrated as hell. Arla - Good luck on the running barefoot! Tet, on the daily, runs barefoot all the time. I've seen those Five Fingers. Let us know how they work for you. Jewels - Good for you on the resolve with the new workout plan. Sweaty, grunting guys at the gym - sometimes that's motivation all in itself. Wink Joe - Oil on the Budster's foot pads? Interesting. Kelly - Glad you didn't get hurt any worse with your slip. Watch that footing out there. Jack - Are you lurking??? Jim - Have fun with your cross country skiing. Well, I need to get a shower so I can go get my prescrip for nausea filled. Unfortunately, it makes you sleepy, so basically during the day it will be worthless. Roll eyes

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good afternoon...... Hope the knee continues to get better Kelly! Good luck with all of those ski classes........Hi Jack! Glad you went to the ER Leslie, even though all tests are coming back negative. Must be very frustrating. Hopefully the Wed. test will pinpoint somethng that is going on. Rest up.......lack of eating and the meds will make you very lathargic. Did sort of a "galloway" type run this morning. Ran 2, walked for a minute, ran 2, walked for a minute and then finished up the last 2. So a slow 6 miler, but I'll take it. Have a nice day everyone, I'm off to the mall with my mom and one of my daughters........ Jewels
                Hey 40's! Wow, I don't check up on you guys and one of us winds up in the ER. Leslie I sure hope you get some answers. This is why it's called "practicing" medicine. Far more mysteries not solved about our bods than solved. Jewels, your run sounds perfect! Your're getting your mojo back Smile. I did 6.6 miles this morning and another 1ish walking before and after. Ran w/ my 1/2 marathon compatriot, and our last 3 miles were faster than the first 3, and progressively at that, so it was a feel good run. But remember that "speed" is a relative term Wink. More importantly we have decided we are going to get t-shirts for the race. Now we just have to decide what to put on them. Any ideas? That puts me at 22 miles for the week, and I had targeted 20, so far so good. Work from home accounting job...s'posed to be part time....averaged 55 hours the last couple of weeks. Had to run just to stay sane...mostly Blush Finally a weekend off, yay! Take care and enjoy the ride, friends. Hope to get back to being able to post and keep up more here soon.
                Progress Trumps Pefection
                  Carol - Nice to hear from you. Sounds like your running is coming along nice. Good job on the "progressive" run. As to what to put on your shirts, hmmm . . . . . let me think . . . . . Jewels - How'd the shopping go? What'd you buy?? I just wanted to say thank you for letting me moan and groan about what's going on with me. I know it seems that's all I've been complaining about. I've already decided that tomorrow I'm just gonna go out and run for the sake of running and try and forget about all this for awhile. But again, thanks a whole, whole bunch. SOMEDAY we're actually going to get to meet each other, and that will be a great day, indeed.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

HEEEEYY!!! {{{waves & hugs all around!}}} finally have my hands on my own computer...& wouldn'tcha know it!? havfta spend most of that time doing "home office" type work!! Busy, busy bunch in here....reading what I can, when I can....glad to see you all getting along so well! Big grin this kinda clowning around could only be better in person! Wink ......lets just say that MY life continues in much the same fashion as last I'd chatted w/you all....Roll eyesShocked without writing a book on all the sordid details (not sure it would be all that entertaining....) the condensed version would look like: a continual house full of people till this past Sunday when we culminated w/a large group birthday party for 3 (3 birthdays, not 3 people attending!) , then drove round trip back to Hastings, NE to drop off the family of 4 + one extra grandchild riding along! ~ via Sidney, NE for the birthday party, so 20+ hr day! Running was almost completely off-line these past 3-4 wks due to going to bed waaay too late nearly every night, then getting up early w/the extra in-house grandbabies (letting mom get some much needed rest through the holiday visit), trying to keep a household of 7 maintained (man! there's lotsa dishes & laundry!!), extra "while in town" shopping + after Christmas deals to be scrounged, while running back & forth to Breckenridge in 3-4 day chunks (workload picked up a bit through the holidays, but has since eased off a bit), eldest son's truck & contents got stolen by some modern day Bonnie & Clyde couple just before New Years, recovered two days ago w/arrests...police are still sorting that out, (a hard reminder to NOT use your car as a mobile locker!!) Towards the end of this whole event/time frame(?) some type of crud/cold/not-quite-the-flu-thingy descended on the household - the least of those hit was me! whew! Mairead & I have escaped for a few (not nearly enough!) mental health type short/easy jogs....weather ranging from 4* F to 58* F (typical Colorado Winter weather!! Wink ) no idea of pace/distance/time because all were undertaken sans Garmin!! some were done in jeans! (how's that for impromptu!?!) (btw Leslie - I've had the 305 for almost a year now....still don't know what all it can do....technologically challenged as I am...Roll eyes ) & some of it shoulda been snowshoeing! & most of it shoulda included a camera! Wink Ciao! Cindy
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Hi Cindy (waves)!!! So your life is as crazy as normal with you and your big family? Life is good! Leslie - you can moan and groan all you want. (hugs) Here, have a margarita - Cool Carol - good work on the mileage and the progressive runs - must have felt nice! Amazing that you can fit that mileage in with that kind of workload. I got shirts for myself and some of my friends running Disney at Zazzle.com. They have tech tees and singlets for men and ladies, and you can add your own artwork and text. It's very easy to do, although order early because they got my order wrong and I had to have them do it over (which they did cheerfully, even sent me a postage-paid return slip). The back of my singlet said "Why couldn't Pheidippides have died at mile 20?", the others were "Why are all these people following me?", "I thought you said 2.62!", and two chickens, one says "Why don't you run a marathon?" and the other replies "Why don't you stick knives in your eyes". We stole all this stuff from cafe press Blush Pleasant 8 miler today - a little warm at 66F but I was really enjoying the beautiful day. Either I'm getting faster or careless, though, my pace is pretty fast for me, gonna have to replace the battery in my heartrate monitor to keep myself honest. Undecided Arla

Ex runner

{{{{{CINDY!!!}}}}} Once again, I was exhausted by your post! Big grin We miss you around here, little lady. Arla - Sometimes ya gotta be careless and run just for the sake of running. The crud has hit our household. The Hub's spent most of the evening on the toilet, poor guy. Undecided Keeping my fingers crossed it stays away from me. Just wanted to pop in here, and am glad I did 'cause Cindy came back! Now it's bedtime. Nitey nite!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey mtnchck........good to hear from you...we were hoping you'd stop in for a visit. Good running out there folks. We're getting some relief from the cold here in OK. Temps have been wonderful! I'm still on the DL and will stay for a few more days. The shin is feeling alot better....hardly any noticeable discomfort when I walk. DW, mrsday, got in a nice 6 miler yesterday.....she's doing terrific. Guess I'll be pulling for the Cardinals today. Part of me wants the Eagles to win, but I just can't get myself to root for them. And probably the Steelers......Many times, though, when I don't have a favorite....I find myself rooting for the team that behind. I may change teams midgame sometimes. Football....gotta love it. Later, my friends.
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Ev - what's "the DL"? For the football fans: http://www.largiader.com/macpack/temp/bring_it.html I don't really care that much, but I lived in Philly for 3 years and it was sad to see their teams always *almost* become champs. I think the low point was standing outside in the rain watching Smarty Jones on big screen not get that triple crown. Figures I leave town and the Phillies take it all. Kinda like I left San Diego and the Chargers started to resemble a professional team Tongue Leslie - maybe you want to leave town for a couple days and stay away from that crud! Arla

Ex runner

Ev - what's "the DL"? Arla
                              DL=disabled list. or I guess it could be the "down low". Cool
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                                Ev.......are you walking around on your heels with your butt up in the air like a duck as Leslie suggested a while back? That's what a thought........now get to it mister! Smile Bought an addidas warmup jacket and pants at the mall yesterday. $32 pants for $7.99 (black w/pink stripe down the sides) and the matching jacket $45 for 12.99 (pink w/black stripes down the sleeves). Super cute......They are super lightweight and perfect for leisurely weekends. Now that's a deal......or should I say steal? Hope you are feeling better today Leslie...... Super nice to hear from Cindy, as usual, you are one busy woman. Way to go Carol and Arla on your runs! Shoutout to Kelly, Jim, Joe, SR and Salty...... Jewels