Masters Running

Monday, June 8 Daily Show (Read 443 times)

Tramps

Somebody's gotta get this show on the road.

Easy 5.2.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

What, did the rapture happened and Tramp and I are left behind?

3 easy plus tai chi later.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You'd think the Monday was a rest day for most

I don't even have a run of today, but never got yesterdays in.  In keeping with the previous pithy statements--3.6 at 10:15 and basically satisfied.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

3.05 slow and gentle miles for me this morning, followed by push-ups, lateral raises, butterflies, dumbbell curls, and stability ball crunches.  No lower-body weights this week.

Now that I am back to work, maybe I can find time to write that race report....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Morning, gang!

Go 'Tramps!  Nice kickoff. 

At least Mariposai, Stumpy, Holly and I are here to keep you company on the Ark.

I skipped a long run weekend before last.  I only did a 12.5 mile run on Saturday, but my quads were not happy with me on Saturday afternoon and Sunday.  What's up with that??   DH got his new bike yesterday  and we did a 45 minute ride into a small fishing village (tourist trap) on the Sound.  I have some work to do to get my bike legs in shape for our upcoming weekend getaway bike trip in Vermont. 

7 lackluster hilly miles this morning.  It was in the mid 60's but overcast and windy.  Not bad running conditions, but the sproink has left the building. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

What, did the rapture happened and Tramp and I are left behind?

I've been warned that's gonna happen.

Be safe. Be kind.

"older but not dead yet"

Here's what I'm planning to do. I call it running through words.

Fartlekking through literature might be the best term to use for this endeavor. I'm starting by finishing off Kenny Moore's beautifully written essays on great runners in his Best Efforts: The Long Blue Line (personally autographed by ordering it through the LetsRun.com site), then a much slower foray into my MP by reading about space, time and light in Art and Physics by Leonard Shlain. The romance of art and the drama of science - what a clever and sublime juxtaposition of themes.

Even X-C running will be involved as I begin an anthology of The Year's Best Science Fiction with its ups and downs, dry sections and muddied plots seeking to prophesy our future with the lugubrious undertones of apocalyptic eschatology weaving its way through the countless stories in this anthology.

At 10K pace, I'll be jumping into some Medieval history in Norman Cantor's In The Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and The World that made it. It's a slow start then a romp through history with a blazing finish that tries to establish an interesting theory that combines bubonic plague with anthrax. Hmm . . . .

There's nothing like running at different paces in one's workout. From the serene and tranquil easy reading recovery pace to the frenetic 5k pace of adventure fiction, then the MP pace of heavyweight tomes with polysyllabic ideas that require many long runs of practice, the fartlekking of X-C pace running through anthologies of short stories, hopefully more ups than downs, getting muddied and wet trying to separate all the strikingly similar but disparate themes and finally the 10K pace of reading running literature about running written by runners.

I'll leave you now to begin my all day running through words workout. Have a good day everyone - and kudos to The Tamster for her nicely run 20.

Alex

Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Morning everyone....everyone that is left that is ....

We had a fun, but slightly wet camping weekend.   The highlight was DH went out for a run with me!!   He started like a bat out of hell, and I could not keep up.   Well, you guessed it, that didn't last long.   I told him that after the 1st mile that we ran on/off, that we would do 1/4 mile intervals and for him to try and keep his heart rate at a more comfortable level.  We ran along the Lake Michigan shoreline that was gorgeous, but also a bit more difficult   We ended up finishing back at the trailer in 2.6 miles and I went off to make it an even 4.    Later in the day we took a 3 mile hike to the lighthouse and back.  I hope he keeps it up - but I am not holding my breath.  Wink

Yesterday afternoonI cross trained by doing lots of house cleaning ... and then a long walk with both of my daughters out to the pierhead and back.  Doesn't get much better than that ....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Nice weekend, Hopeful Mary!

68°F

95%

5 miles with Jane and Steve and Ralph.  Went out too fast but managed to salvage the run and my attitude. Whew!  Some hills in this one.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

King of PhotoShop

Mary, in beginner running programs men will go out and run as fast as they can, and after they get winded, will walk back to their car.  Women will jog slowly, and when they get winded will walk a bit then resume jogging.  Guess which group learns to run sooner?

3.5 recovery miles for me this morning, followed by a flex and core workout at the Y.   Spareribs

Teresadfp

One day at a time

LOL, Mary, your DH sounds like mine!  He's learning, though.  He ran 4 miles this morning!  Usually he just does 3. 

Another heartbreakingly beautiful day in Maine, but I guess it's our last one for the week!  I ran only 2.5 miles with my RP, and then we walked some.

Question:  My quads are talking to me a lot.  It's not PAIN, but a good bit of soreness.  I did the stretches afterwards that DS said I should, and I used the Stick on both legs.  Is it OK to run when they feel this way? Last week was when I did my first speedwork and two bootcamps, so I have been pushing it some (for me!).  I don't mind feeling sore when I run, but I don't want to do any damage.  I've run 29 days in a row now.

Thanks!!

A bit slim so far this a.m.

Holly - How do the legs feel?

Teresa - 29 days in a row?  Congrats!  I'll leave answering your question to our more experienced panel of experts.

Rest day for me.  Have a good week, folks!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Teresa, take a break.  Your body is telling you to.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

ditto what breegr said

5 miles this morning in 44:33 (8:55 pace, AHR 157). Miles 3 and 5 were sub 8 (barely). I can see great progress in pace in just 3 weeks!

ETA: First 2 miles with Tory and Sadie and it was a bit muggy with 90% humidity and 66F.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

Perch... I'm so glad you're back.

Bill.. have you talked to your son?     Such a huge step for him... no wonder he was freaked out.  How are you doing?  Nothing hurts like seeing our kids having a tough time of it.  hugs to both of you 

Leslie... how are your calf & ankle issues after all that trail running?

Sue... I wish I knew.  hope they're ok.

Tammy,  wtg Smile

Toms...thanks.  I thnk I'm seeing progress.   Nice run yesterday!

A rest day today, just 1/2 hr. so far of PT things.    Yesterday was a meh 7 miler.... but, I'm changing my attitude as I type because earlier this week I wasn't sure if I could run at all.   So, yesterday, a great 7 miler! 

I have a question too... but have to get back to work.