Masters Running

Tuesday June 30 daily (Read 496 times)

TammyinGP

Good morning all!

Jlynne - that is so sad and I'm sorry your son and his wife had this news. Hopefully the pregnancy will progress normally and the surgery will fix this little guy up!

SLO - great patio! Looks like you are enjoying it in style.

I hope to get a RR written today. Such a fun weekend and so much to include. It'll take awhile to write it all up.

I had my cholesterol rechecked this a.m. My friend, Laura (who came with me to Seattle and ran her first as well), checked it 3 mos ago and it was a little high. My total was 200 and my LDL was high. Can't remember the exact number. Today my chol was 151, HDL was 50, LDL was 86 and Tri was 77.  I still want to work on getting that LDL lower and HDL higher, but I'm real happy with dropping it 50 pts in 3 mos.   I think I need to run more marathons  .

I had a bit of IT flare up around mile 21 or 22 of the marathon and even though it has felt fine since Sunday evening, I'm still going to my massage therapist today for a short session on my right IT. I haven't run since the marathon but will probably do a couple miles on the dirt track tomorrow evening.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Jlynne, I'm sorry to learn of that news.

SLO, beautiful job.

Tramps, great pics and story.  Dale would be proud of you I'm sure.  He has done this race.

7 miles today, 6 on the track and then another at the Y in the a/c.  What a difference!

I have a new client in Va. Beach.  Anyone know jdmom's email address?   Spareribs

Mariposai

Stunning pictures tramps. Wow, one big hill is no joke. Great race. Congrats. You got to be in good shape to be able to run that one. I hope your toesie is ok...is it really broken?

Congrats to the Ribs for his AG...you are aging well my dear.

Tammy, how are you feeling today. Emotion wise, I know you are not even sore from your rite to passage event.

dg, you are so awesome.

Holly, 6 miles so soon...and that is why you are a much faster running than I am. Strong, and consistant.

I am still taking it easy today. I did go swimming, or splashing, last night. 400m. Rest. 400m and called it good.

And I thought marathon running was hard. I got to work on my swimming

Today, some stretching and light upper body weight. Will RAW today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

yay, sun for Nono & Renee the dog!!!

Lou, happy you're back out there.

Happy party, Walt.

Jlynne, I'm so sorry to hear that.  I hope so much this all turns out well. 

Sue, it's great to have you back! 

Hi Tramps!  Wow what a trip, thanks for the photos.  I broke my little toe a year or so ago, a couple weeks off running, but one thing the doctor said (in case you haven't been) was not to go barefoot. I vaguely remember cutting the toe out of an old pair of running shoes.

6.18 miles again by the river this morning, about a 10:19 pace overall. 59F & really windy!  Doug, the rain missed us.   I was a little sore again today, but think it was because of too much gardening Sunday.  Lots of shoveling.  Probably should have taken Monday as a rest day, but I'd missed the planned cross training Saturday so wanted to fit it in.  I thought it would be ok since Sunday's run wasn't too long. I should give stoopid lessons. But overall it was an enjoyable run.   I discovered at about mile 3.67 (Wink ) that I hadn't hit start sufficiently. grr.  used the usatf mapping thing this morning (took forever!) but it's cool now that they have the hybrid map & satellite view, I could really see the park, river, etc.  Neat to see it that way. 

My abs (lower) are usually really sore after a run.  Does that mean I'm doing something right, or something wrong? 

SR, how are the Saint's hips?   that sounds funny.  ;-)

Sorry so long!  & I'm still sadly behind.

hey all you marathoners be careful out there!

aw, thanks Nancy.    so are you Smile

PS:   Byll... I noticed.

TammyinGP

Had to go back and see pics. We must have been posting about the same time. Great pics! and my jaw dropped at the elevation profile. I swear that is what mile 25 felt like!

Mari - I am feeling good. still missing the wonderful weekend, the relaxation and all the fun and laughter though. Those men did such a spectacular job for us over the wknd - just really making sure we were relaxed and not stressing over anything. I can't say thank you enough for all that. That chocolate milk and then the beer that Peter had for me at the finish were like Gold!  I need to write up my RR. I keep procrastinating because there is just so much to capture. I know it'll take me awhile.

I saw Laura this a.m. and her quads were really killing her yesterday. Today she feels better, but still a bit sore. She too is missing the weekend. I watched the video of her and Timbo crossing the finish line together and then their LONG embrace was captured on video  as well. . . very sweet!

Tammy

Dove

The Dovenator

Hi everyone,

it's been a long time since I've visited RA. I had convinced myself that I only had time for one forum, so I've been over at KR - but after spending the weekend in Seattle, I realized I really miss some the people who only post here. I'm going to do my best to follow both forums and see how it goes.

Hi Amos! Hi Holly! Hi Tim! (and all the other Seattle alum who I see regularly at KR).

And yes, SRLopez, I have hair... sorry I didn't get a chance to say "hi" over the weekend. You looked fabulous as usual in your pink.

4 easy miles for me today along with 2 miles of walking and a trip to the weight room.

-Dove

"it's just like having fun, but different"

SLO, that's an impressive patio.  You should get a lot of pleasure out of it.  WRFB, nice run after 3 weeks off.  jlynne, that's a tough one for your family.  I sure hope things turn out well.  Tramps, those are great pictures of Mt Washington and the White mountains.  Walt, happy birthday to your daughter.

Nice long runs for CNY (including AG win in 10 mile race), sue,and PBJ.  Good job on the speedwork for sue, SLO, and runningsmarter.

This morning, it was about 60° with some wind and a light rain.  I struggled through 8 miles in about 1:19:30 for a 9:56 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Tramps

Hi Tramps!  Wow what a trip, thanks for the photos.  I broke my little toe a year or so ago, a couple weeks off running, but one thing the doctor said (in case you haven't been) was not to go barefoot. I vaguely remember cutting the toe out of an old pair of running shoes.

dg, why no barefoot?  I'm working at home and, because of the swelling, barefoot is most comfortable right now.  I'm also icing.  From what I can tell, there's not much more you can do--"buddy taping," if needed, elevate, ice, wait.  I

Great news, Tammy.  (I mean the cholesterol numbers; I'm saving my other congrats for a race report!)

Mari--yeah, I'm pretty sure it's broken.

Dove--hi!  I feel the same way when I occasionaly go lurk at KR.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Had to go back and see pics. We must have been posting about the same time. Great pics! and my jaw dropped at the elevation profile. I swear that is what mile 25 felt like!

Mari - I am feeling good. still missing the wonderful weekend, the relaxation and all the fun and laughter though. Those men did such a spectacular job for us over the wknd - just really making sure we were relaxed and not stressing over anything. I can't say thank you enough for all that. That chocolate milk and then the beer that Peter had for me at the finish were like Gold!  I need to write up my RR. I keep procrastinating because there is just so much to capture. I know it'll take me awhile.

I saw Laura this a.m. and her quads were really killing her yesterday. Today she feels better, but still a bit sore. She too is missing the weekend. I watched the video of her and Timbo crossing the finish line together and then their LONG embrace was captured on video  as well. . . very sweet!

Where is that video at Tammy? Yeah, my quads were still killing me yesterday too. I will never forget running that race with Laura, and neither one of us wanted to stop hugging each other after we finished the race together....we were stuck together like glue 

I too am finding writing a RR about Seattle very hard....soooo many great people and experiences to write about.

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Dove - yay!  Welcome!

Tramps - great photos! 

Tammy - 50 pts in 3 mos is awesome!

Mariposai - I'm with you on the swimming thing.  I really need to learn to swim better.  It's such a great workout for the whole body.  I keep saying I'll have more time when the kids get older...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Great photos and recap Tramps!  I don't think I could walk that hill!

Welcome back Tim.. congrats on your marathon! yeah, where's the video of you and Laura finishing?

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yesterday was a scheduled RD - today was an unscheduled one.   Today is my last day of work and tomorrow I will be busy getting ready for our Alaska trip as we head out bright and early Thursday morning.    I am SO excited!!!   I will get out for a run tomorrow before my day gets crazy, but if I don't have time to post, I'll "see" ya'll on July 13th.

I've been reading and looking at what I can re: Seattle and it looks like a blast!!     My niece finished in 2:09 and I'm very proud of her.

Cheers!!  Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tammy - Way to go on lowering the cholesterol points.

JLynne - My thoughts and prayers to your kids and their forthcoming baby.

Tramps - Beautiful pictures.  Thanks for sharing. 

BTW, To any of you who live back East, we are going to be in Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire for 10 days in mid-October (16-26).  Any suggestions of where to go, what to see, etc.?

5 heavy-hearted miles this a.m., and could only muster up the mental fortitude to do 3 of my 6 hill sprints.  After two weeks of trying to get him better, we made the decision to put our kitty, BK, to sleep.  It was tough, but it was the right decision.

Started tapering this week, and am getting excited (and nervous) about my first 50k trail run of the year coming up in two weeks (nervously biting fingernails).  I think I've made some good adjustments to my fluids and nutrition, so as long as the altitude doesn't kill me, I'm betting I won't get pulled this year.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Tammy! That's an awesome improvement in your numbers. Good job on that!

Holly, 11 miles...? Geez girl. I might run a few tonight, but like Mariposai I'm taking it very easy. Might even just do pool running tonight. Oh, and the brats were Johnsonville Bratwurst. My DH is a German through and through, and he's tried many different brands. He swears by those now, the only kind he'll buy. (one of our stops at Pike Market was the bavarian meat shop to pick up the lundjager that he loves. Blech)

My only "mishap" on this marathon was another aggravating blister right under the ball of my right foot. That's the one with all the problems anyway, might as well load it up. But the odd thing is... the next day it felt fine! A little swollen over the troublesome metatarsal, but no pain. And the blister was there, but painless. It's the strangest thing. Almost stopped me in my tracks at the end of the race. The next day... nothing. Weird. I know I need to try the "Wright" socks, but there was another brand, I think Maraposai uses them? and I don't remember the name. Time to start trying more socks, I guess. I'm sure tired of blisters. (and I don't get them training, so hard to "wear test" any of these things... just need to try them in warm weather marathons)

SLO what an awesome patio! We'll supply all the hydration if you come on up and do a repeat performance in our yard!!

JLynne, so sorry to hear about your grandbaby's problems. I'm sure the expectant parents are just shell shocked. Hugs to you all, and hopefully there's some comfort in knowing that neo-natal and newborn medical intervention and care have come so far in the past few years.

Leslie, so sorry about the kitty. Having had to make that decision with both my horses in the past few years, I know how hard that can be. But it sometimes is the best thing you can do for them.

You need to be sure to connect with Mainerunnah and Teresa when you're in Maine.

Tramps, gorgeous pictures! Sorry about the toe. It's amazing how much that pinkie toe does for you... you don't realize until it's hurt!

dg.

dg, why no barefoot?  I'm working at home and, because of the swelling, barefoot is most comfortable right now.  I'm also icing.  From what I can tell, there's not much more you can do--"buddy taping," if needed, elevate, ice, wait.  I

Great news, Tammy.  (I mean the cholesterol numbers; I'm saving my other congrats for a race report!)

Mari--yeah, I'm pretty sure it's broken.

Dove--hi!  I feel the same way when I occasionaly go lurk at KR.

Tramps, this talks about it http://www.footphysicians.com/footankleinfo/metatarsal-fractures.htm.   I wasn't worried about it until I talked to someone who'd ignored theirs & ended up with more problems, can't remember the details.   Didn't really worry then either, but paid more attention to it.   This is from the link:

• Rigid or Stiff-Soled Shoe. Wearing a stiff-soled shoe protects the toe and helps keep it properly positioned.
                              • "Buddy Taping." "Buddy taping" the fractured toe to another toe is sometimes appropriate, but in other cases it may be harmful.
                              •  

I go barefoot all the time at home, so it was a pita.    And hard to find a shoe to use that didn't make it worse while putting it on.   There might be other variables that change this, but at any rate, that's what I was told.  Mine was fractured in 2 places, healed fine, but took a while.   hope you heal quickly.   don't kick anything.  ;-)