Masters Running

2016 Portland, OR Marathon RA family meet up (Read 67 times)

I think MBE will drop me off around 4 or 5 pm at the house Saturday, say hello to a few people (he said he is looking forward to seeing Nancy and Paul again), then he will go for dinner with his relatives, and come pick me up later.  I am getting excited!!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

I think MBE will drop me off around 4 or 5 pm at the house Saturday, say hello to a few people (he said he is looking forward to seeing Nancy and Paul again), then he will go for dinner with his relatives, and come pick me up later.  I am getting excited!!!

But MBE will join us for dinner post race, correct?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Uber says $24-32 for Uber X, more for Uber XL, or Uber Assist or Uber Select - anyone know the difference?

Mike - I arrive at 12:27pm (or so they say) but will hang out at the airport for your arrival. We can split the Uber!

I am so looking forward to some fine cooking from Nancy and Shorty!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

This is so exciting. A week from today we will have hanging out and enjoying Shorty and Fatozzig's amazing food.

A summary:

Friday Arrival times:

Starruns: 5 pm (we can pick you up at the airport, let me know what you think)

Holly:       12:32 pm

MikeE:      2pm

Posie:       5pm (we will pick up Starruns at the airport, then drive to the house)

Fatossig:

Saturday Arrival times:

Enkie and Mr. BE: ?

Econo: ?

Meals in a nutshell:

We will have our car, so we can do preliminary food shopping on the way to the house after we pick up Starruns. Then Saturday we call make decisions of the food needed and a group can go shopping.

Friday night dinner suggestion: Salmon, rice pilaf, green salad. I can do the cooking on Friday since I have a good and fast system to put this meal together. Let me know what you guys think.

I am so looking forward to being pampered with Leslie and Shorty's magnificent cooking.

Am I missing anyone?

Thanks for doing the Friday meal for us it sounds yummy! I am looking forward to your cooking as well as Shorty and Leslie's!

Mariposai, thanks so much for the offer but my friend, Ginnie, offered to pick me up at the airport and take me to the house. That will give you a little more time to get to the grocery store.

Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone this weekend!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai - MBE and I are taking the train back to Seattle Sunday afternoon....I'm afraid you all won't see much of him.  You will just have to visit us sometime this winter!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

The preliminary meal for Friday sounds wonderful!  Should we add breakfast stuff to the list so we can eat Saturday morning before we go shopping (always a good idea )?

Coffee

Cream

Sugar

I'm willing to scramble up a butt load of eggs for everyone Saturday morning with cheese and whatever else sounds good to go in it.  And then cut up fruit, toast . . . . anything else?

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Yes please, Fattozig!  I love scrambled eggs, and of course coffee.  No cream and sugar for me.  I think there is a gift basket for the guests with coffee pods but hopefully a decent coffee maker too.  Fruit and toast sounds good too.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

I plan on hitting the grocery on Friday.  Maybe we can all go in the late afternoon?  Surely there will be one close by the house.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I plan on hitting the grocery on Friday.  Maybe we can all go in the late afternoon?  Surely there will be one close by the house.

Hitting the grocery Friday sounds great.  If we start a list, then our travel-tired brains will have a better chance.  We should be able to find a grocery store and a Costco, depending on where we want to go.

I told Shorty I volunteered us to cook dinner Sunday after the race, so you all will need to decide what you want.

Nancy - Will you be bringing the ingredients for dinner Friday or do we need to add those to the grocery list?

Grocery List (feel free to cut and paste and add)

Coffee

Sugar

Cream

Eggs

Cheese

Bread

Butter

Fruit

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

The preliminary meal for Friday sounds wonderful!  Should we add breakfast stuff to the list so we can eat Saturday morning before we go shopping (always a good idea )?

Coffee

Cream

Sugar

I'm willing to scramble up a butt load of eggs for everyone Saturday morning with cheese and whatever else sounds good to go in it.  And then cut up fruit, toast . . . . anything else?

You are on deck for Saturday morning breakfast, dear sistahh.

We will bring the ingredients. It will be easier.

this is so exiting!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Looks like you can take the Max (light rail) downtown and transfer to bus #8.  It sounds complicated, but will be cheap, easy, & safe.  Will take longer than uber or a taxi, though.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Friday night dinner suggestion: Salmon, rice pilaf, green salad. 

They’re almost as expensive as marathon entries nowdays but the current end-of-the fall king salmon run in the nearby Columbia River provides one of the few opportunities to keep from ending up like most people in the world in not having any idea one-way-or-the-other what is the best fish they have ever eaten. Maybe the early arrivants can check around to see if any are available any more, maybe from the Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission or something.   As long as it’s Columbia River stock, coho would be a good second choice.

Image result for columbia river king salmon images....Image result for columbia river king salmon images...Image result for columbia river king salmon images  ...  Image result for columbia river king salmon images

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Have you all been checking the weather forecast?  It looks ideal.  No rain and 53 or 54 F at the start, and 62 F by noon and high of 73 later in the day.  Actually a bit too warm for me.  Remember it is humid, so you may feel warmer than usual for those temps once you get running.

Marathon Maniac #957

Love that forecast!  Keeping my fingers crossed it stays clear...

Marathon Maniac #957

The owner contacted me about the accommodations, and it looks like the sleeping arrangements will work like this:

One bedroom with 2 twins pushed together for King: Leslie/Shorty or Nancy/EP

One bedroom with Queen: Leslie/Shorty or Nancy/EP

Two adjoining bedrooms that each have a double bed: Holly, Starr, Econo

Extra room with sofa bed: Mike

Queen-sized air mattress: Tet

Does that sound about right?  If not, we can duke it out when we get there...