Masters Running

40's on the run......and the Olympics continue! (Read 410 times)

saltyd

Thanks for all the support. Today seems to be a little better at work than yesterday. I went and spoke to my HR rep, and found out I can't apply for a position outside my department for 6 months since I am on "disciplinary action". Oh well! I did get to give my side of some of the stuff they had claimed, adn also made her aware of some of the other romper room activities that go on in here. It seemed to go well, and I do feel better that I went to her. My surgery is a bladder sling. I'm nervous about it, as it's my first surgery ever. But I'm also excited that once I'm healed I will be able to run without worry of <ssshhhh> leakeage. and make doing other exercise without worries. I can also sneeze adn cough without feeling much older than I am. The doctor says the recovery can be from1 to 4 weeks. I only asked for 2 weeks off from work. I think that will give me time to recover, calm down about my work situation, get some stuff done at home, and be ready to go back to work. Then in a month or so it will be cool enough for me to run outside again. Salty </ssshhhh>
    Saltyd Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Ultrachick

Thanks for the brownie recipe-can I quit my job so I have some time to make them? as well as doing something with the bushel barrel of zucchinis? Good for you at work Salty. That has to make you feel a bit better to get your side out in the open. Not much to tell tonight. Ran with my 11 yr old son tonight at the 5k trail race we go to every Tuesday. I had to wait a little bit for him and run a little slower but we still finished in 27:43. Of course he blew past me at the end. He's my fast-twitch muscle kid-he's fast but not for long Big grin. My legs were still a little tired from the weekend miles so I didn't mind running with him and having a good excuse to go a little slower. Smile Take care 'til tomorrow! Kelly
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

flatland mountaineer

Easy 3.3 this morn, 58 degrees and fog. The wild sunflowers along the road are in full bloom and were waving at eye level and the little kid in me envisioned spectators hi fiving along a race course. After hi fiving the second one I realized it would be just my luck if there were a very agitated bee hanging out in one of them, so that ended that fantasy. Suprised a doe west of the house nothing else to report other than I am still very sore in the calf muscles, Nothing that feels injurous. Good luck with your surgery Salty. I'd take a couple of those Zukes Kelly, send em on west. Big grin

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

mmmm zucchini bread...must Fair time! Smile 5.96 briskish hilly miles...coolish but hoomid morning.... packing to run out to MN...young cousin killed in a crash Monday eve... directly back & up to Buena Vista for the TransRockiesRun.... may not be able to check in for a while.... but will have running shoes w/me at all times Wink Take Care Everybody! Cindy
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Great job to Linda and Jim on your race last weekend! Glad there is only soreness to work out and nothing more structural. Sunflowers sound delightful. Cindy, sorry to hear about your cousin. Good that you can be there (with running shoes of course). For those struggling w/ job issues, keep looking and don't settle for being miserable. Life's too short for that and is full of other possibilities. Last night, went to a happy hour with some old work buddies (all of whom have left), to celebrate the leaving of another. Each of us is on different paths and finding "success" in different ways, but the common thread was that we decided to move on rather than staying in something that was dragging the life out of us. Truly something to celebrate. As for running....I got to run in the rain this weekSmile. Nice light rain, just perfect...held out my hands and soaked it in. I'm pretty much on track with my training schedule and signed up for the Tour des Fleurs 10K on 9/20. They are capping the entries, so I figured I'd better grab a spot. Same one I did last year. Don't know I'll be as fast, but plan to be smarter about using it as more of a training run and allowing for a little recovery time. Think it was the beginning of my hip issues last year, so hopefully have learned from that.
            Progress Trumps Pefection
              Good luck with the surgery, Salty. Here's a happier bladder!! Big grin Farmer Jim - Thanks for the sunflower high-fiving visual. Smile Kelly - Very cool that you and your son run together. Carol - Nice to see you're on track and keeping it smart. Cindy - So sorry to hear about your cousin. Stay safe on the trip. Very damp, warm, and humid run this morning. We are having very weird weather. 68 w/80% humidity, very overcast and drippy. Not your typical North Coast summer weather. Did 5 miles w/10 hills repeats (5 long, 5 short), and The Hill at the end with an 11:00 av pace. After the second long hill, had to take my shirt off. I was dying. And with all this dampness, the mosquitoes are getting bad. I've already been viciously attacked in my yard, then this a.m., when I stopped to pick my stuff up, got bit 2 more times! Evil grin Okay - So I take off my shirt, my water bottle/fanny holder, and my headlamp and lay them on the sidewalk about halfway up this hill I'm running. Do 5 long and am on the 2nd short when an older comes out of her house, where I laid my stuff down. Her: Hey! What's that stuff laying there? Me (heavy breathing): It's mine. Her: What's that laying there? Me: It's mine. It's my gear. Her: Oh. What's that laying in the road? Me (turn around and look): It's like a papertowel cardboard roll. Her: Oh. Well, I just didn't know what all that was and I got nervous. Me: Yep, you can't be too careful (while inside I'm thinking, "Can we say paranoia??") Tomorrow I and my buds take off for Conference in San Jose. Should be fun. Hey, at least I won't be at work!!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Bumpity bump bump bump. Big grin Cool Evil grin Black eye Yes Smile

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Do you know the way to San Jose?????? Evil grin sorry couldn't resist Jewels hope things ok with the weather?? Safe travels C and D Carol rain beats 100 deg any day huh.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Afternoon all..... Cindy, so sorry to hear about your cousin. Just awful news. Read rather quickly over everyone's post as I'm heading out the door. Let's see... partying a tad too much, getting bit by skeeters, wild sunflowers hi-fiving Jim, signing up for races, surgery for salty tomorrow, good luck with that, glad to hear from you, and keep us posted. It's just been a mess down here with the tropical storm. Never seen so much rain in the 30 years I've been here. Brevard County schools and govt. offices have been closed, Mon. Tues. Wed. today and schools are cancelled for tomorrow as well. Talk about mosquitoes, holy heck. Snakes and alligators as well have been misplaced from the storms. 2 gators wandering down the street disoriented I suppose on where the heck they are at because the ditches and small lakes have all over flowed into the streets. Lots and lots of damage to homes. Anyway....enough of that. Happy runs to all........Jewels
                    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Ultrachick

Evening All! Big grin Bummer to hear about your cousin, Cindy. Jim, I'd love to send some zukes to you but I don't they would travel well. Carol, nice to see you staying on track. Salty, I hope you're doing well after the surgery. Leslie, have fun in San Jose! Where's Joe? and how about Arla? Who came up with some of these Olympic sports?! We just turned the TV on and it's BMX biking! Give me a break! I'll chat more later-it's late and I'm tired. Today wasn't a good day at work so I may be making some changes soon....like finding another job. I'll keep you posted-it's not all doom and gloom. Kelly
                        Morning..... Never been so happy to wake up and see some good ole sunshine. Got in a quickie 3 before work this morning. Have a great day all! TGIF........Jewels
                        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                          Salty, hope your surgery is going / went well. Should be a relief to get that taken care of Smile Cindy, hope your family is finding some comfort in your presence. No words can help, but being there and listening can. I have a feeling you're good at that. LOVE Buena Vista...enjoy that Trans Rockies experience. Leslie, WEIRD neighbor lady Shocked Hope you are having fun at your conference. Jewels, glad you're getting a break in the rain and getting a run in. Guess you're happy w/ anything short of 100% humidity these days. Watch out for lost gators! Kelly, good luck on the job front...no doubts that you will find something more right for you. Watch out for that young speedster of yours! The cross country teams are practicing around here. I enjoy feeling the breeze as they pass me Blush R2, the rain has been awesome! I'll definitely take it over the 100 degree temps! Been beating up anymore sunflowers lately Wink? Pretty sucky run this morning left me wondering what I was thinking when I singed up for that 10K in a month. 6.66 miles. Yes, really "666". Didn't plan that distance exactly, but was symbolic of the run from *&!!. First 4 weren't bad at my longer run pace of 11/mile. Then right hammie/butt and back really tightened up. Kind of lumbered home bending over to stretch along the way. Don't think any lasting damage though, and I've got a month to go for the 10K. Think I need to get back to doing core work. OK...I'm spooosseed to be working...so should probably make it so Smile
                          Progress Trumps Pefection
                            Hello from San Jose! Spent 1.5 hours on the dreadmill this morning, but used it my advantage for some good "hill" work. Cranked that sucker anywhere from flat to 15% grade (the highest it would go). Watched a show in HBO called "Reverse of the Curse of the Bambino" about the Boston Red Sox, which was really good and helped pass the time. Not sure if I'll have time to get a workout in in the a.m. before things start at 7:45, so I needed to make this one count. Smile Gotta go - hope you all have a great weekend!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Folks ~ returned to the real world ( ick ) Dead yesterday and need another vacation already! A ton of stuff at work to do but it's Friday,so I'll get through it I guess. Quick glance at the thread .... Salty- wishing you well and a very speedy recovery. Cindy- sorry to hear about your loss,that's really tough. Carol- nice going in the rain,that can be so enjoyable.WTG with your sensible training plan. Jewels-glad you're drying up down there and hoping that those gators found a home other than yours Shocked Jim- nice pics from last week and if you're high fiving sunflower plants, maybe you could tell us what else you're growing out there Evil grin Kelly- don't you find those Olympic badmition finals to be riveting? Leslie- safe traveling for you too and those must be the Sox of 2004? What a great sports story. Vacation went really well but that clock sure speeds up when you're having fun.Got in alot of good running and should pass 50mpw again but was "just visiting" the 65mpw club. C ya's later

Ultrachick

Well, I gave my notice at work today. My boss wasn't too surprised. After our conversation yesterday I felt like she was trying to give me an out which I'll take over crashing and burning and being fired. The short of it-the atmosphere I was in wasn't conducive to my personality. I'm actually glad to be out of there even though I won't be done until Sept 2. I've already started networking around and feeling out some options. I'm prepared to do whatever I have to do in order to pay my bills, feed my kids and stay afloat even if I have to get a job that's not in the fitness industry. There's my big news of the day. Have a good weekend everyone! Smile Kelly