Masters Running

The 'No Foolin' Daily, 4.1.17 (Read 28 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday’s fabulous workouts:
    RunnerKSA (4.1 miles in the dark, even with a headlamp, at a winery)
    Stumpy (3.1 looong miles)
    Dave (3 miles in a dry weather wedge)
    Wildchild (10 miles on roads and trails on the island of Lipari with hillage, in IRC)
    Catwhoorg (3.5 miles suffering with allergies)
    Pfriese (6+ miles for 244 for the month)
    Holly (4 TM miles + 30 min of weights & core)
    Marj (3 walking miles in snow/sleet/rain)
    Tet (5 miles in sun and clouds)
    dg. (5 carpy but fasfter than usual miles on the gym track + weights & stability ball stuff)
    Mike (10 miles)
    Evanflein (5.3 miles with hillage in mild temps and warm sun)

Dave, I would have stopped at the ice cream store after the gym. And, yes, the best way to find something is to replace it. Or question the cat. We used to have a cat that would take anything wrapped in plastic (new shirts, string beans, etc., etc.) and drag them upstairs and hide them under the bed. We eventually caught on.

Sounds like a great trip & run, Wildchild.

Fatozzig, it is so tough to know what to do without a clear diagnosis, so ask a lot of questions and trust your instincts too. Those parting word from the doc were tough! You may want to get that popcorn and stuff out of the house for a while.

Tammy, how nice of you to share your orb with Fatozzig. We don’t even get to 70° inside our house at this time of the year, unless we have the wood stove roaring.

Good luck with getting that TM fixed, Evanflein, and with getting out for a run in the slippery slop. I also used to bounce back more quickly from injuries, but for some curious (and weird) reason, I don’t really mind the slower, more observable and measurable recovery process.

Race well today, Tramps! But I don’t know about the early morning beer.

dg, you covered all the bases and then some. I didn’t make poke salad, but was just fascinated to know how it is made. Gracie is a great name for a cat. Our current cat is Minnie (from a former owner, even though she has short legs and a wide body). Our favorite and smartest cat was Mickey (shortened from Michelob, which was his name when he had been a factory mouser).

Congrats on knowing how to read a long-range weather forecast, Twocat. The bigger problem is knowing when to believe them.

Congrats, Mike, you made today’s list.   Yep, I also have dreams about running - especially about trying to run fast, but feeling like I'm running through maple syrup. Strange that I never dream about racewalking.

Fatozzig, thanks for the tip about Brewer's yeast. I'll have to see if our cat will like it. She probably won't. She's like that.

You'll get back in hill shape, Evanflein, one step at a time.

I got a call yesterday to tell me that my cat scan was completely normal. They clearly don’t know who they are dealing with!

We've got about 3" of heavy, wet snow outside, and stuff (snow/sleet/rain) is still coming down from the skies. I haven't watched the news yet, but I'm sure that folks just a little bit further inland have a lot more snow to deal with. I'm glad I planned today as a rest day, and I even slept in an extra 10-15 minutes this morning! DW and I will spend most of the day cleaning and cooking: We're having 2 restaurant chefs and their wives over for dinner tomorrow, so the pressure's on!

Have a greta Saturday, no foolin!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

5.1 hilly Georgia miles.  Saw a bunch of deer on my way back to the hotel.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I didn't make Jay's shout out. Serves me right for not being online most of the week. Awesome running everybody.

I'm sitting here in the van trying to get the mojo to run my 6 easy. Problem is that I ran my speed work yesterday and now my legs are mad.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Tramps

Yeah, good news on the CAT scan, Jay.

Ran my 15K this morning spot on where I thought I’d be.  I plugged a recent 8K time into the McMillan calculator last night and it predicted a 7:35 /1:10:43 for today.  I aimed to beat that and just did with a 7:33 / 1:10:20 race.  Nothing to write home about (9th of 26 in my ten-year AG, a full minute/mile behind the leading pace) but decent for my current fitness.  After finding my stride after a couple of miles, I ran solid even-paced miles.  They changed this course a few years back and made it more difficult with more hills, so I can’t compare earlier times when I was in the 7:15 range (and in better shape).  But this is a PR for my third running of the current version of the course, so that’s something.  The rain wrapped up in time for a dry race. The knee held up well (and will be iced in a bit) and the post-race beer was good and cold.  So a good morning overall.

Be safe. Be kind.

...mornin' guys//..........jay, Love the ReCaps, thanks....

dg//........serving as a Horrible Example to Other Runners is what I do......

Keep Pluggin'

and remember,

If it Hurts when you Do Dat...........DON' DO DAT/////////

==========

...but I digress......

40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris, paw

Lanes were full today,

SpeedoBoy was swimming ,

he IS Kinda Creepy,

but he's worked-out for at least 10-years so That Counts In My Book

did you know I had a Book??

............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Would have been surprised if you didn't, TW.

Was crushed to find out that the race was postponed until tomorrow.  Especially when I woke to the sound of sleet hitting the window.  Livinvg by Jay's example and taking a RD.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

Today is my wife's (Cindy) birthday.  We were both awake early so we went out to breakfast at Cracker Barrel.  Once we were home I got on-line and looked at the racing schedule. There was an interesting 5k near here so I decided to go.  It was scheduled as an 8k, but all the rain flooded the creeks and one of them was waist high and not safe to run through.

I drove around the town of Hurricane for about 20 minutes trying to find the race and was finally successful. It was basically in the middle of nowhere at the home of the future Hurricane park. My mistake was trying to find a park that didn't exist.

It was a tough, muddy course with some steep hills.  Going down was tough and I saw people fall.  Going up was exhausting.  The course was 3 loops of about a mile.

No matter how slow I am, when I am in one of these really small races I like to track people I think could be in my age group.  I was keeping an eye on 2 of them behind me.  Since the course was out in the open I could get a good look back on some corners.  One guy was close and I was afraid he'd get me because I was fading. (I did hold him off)  The other was a guy in black that was a minute or two back and eventually I no longer worried about him.  But, when I turned the final corner and had 20 yards to the finish line, the man in black popped out of nowhere and was 10 yards in front of me.  I think he skipped the last little out & back right before the finish line.  Since you had to run that on the 2 previous laps I am not cutting him any slack about not knowing.  He took 2nd in my age group and I got third.   It was a meaningless race that I joined at the last minute.  I shouldn't care about getting a 3rd place ribbon, but it bugs me.  And it bugs me even more than it bugs me.  I don't want to care.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nice racin' and rr's tramps and dave.

Maybe it doesn't matter as much when you're older and someone

has something on their nose or takes a shortcut but I remember

doin' it when I was younger too in goin' up with a nice "how'ya doin'?"

so as not to appear to be overly-confrontational and sayin' "nice race"

"I was tracking you but somehow you got ahead"

"did you miss that last corner or something?"

Oddly enough, it never happened again.

mikeE - today's five-miler on the weekend when I rarely run

in the last forty years unless there's a race or I'm panicked

about an upcoming IM or something has nothing

to do with wantin' to make Jay';s list.

April Fool's Day

I didn't get over for the MM reunion at today's Yakima River Canyon Marathon

but remember the joy and relief of seeing a sign indicating "TOP"

when I was thinking I was only about 3/4 of the way up Rosa Hill

at mile 22 during a previous Yakima River Canyon Marathon

on April 1.  Unfortunately, as the canyon road turned even

more upward to the left of the sign, smaller letters

that became all-too-clear on approaching said: "April Fool's Day"

I wonder if Amy's friend who moved there is running again?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Dave, that would bug me too.  I get it. But congratulations anyway.

Finished my own 6 today. I bonked. Hard. Some days are just tougher than others.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

and remember,

If it Hurts when you Do Dat...........DON' DO DAT/////////

Ha!  That's what I always said to my dad.  He'd say, "It hurts when I do . . . *head/neck movement* . . . that," and my smart-mouth self would say, "Well, don't do that."  He didn't appreciate my words of wisdom. 

NIce running, Tramps!  Congrats on the course PR.

Jay - Good luck with the dinner with the chefs.  Dang, that''s some pressure, but I think you're up for the challenge.  Perhaps a new line of work in your future???

. . . . . .

Back to finish my post after a 2-hr absence.

Cooking a turkey while I lay on the floor icing my butt.  Who says I can't do two things at once!! 

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Bragging about my son. He was 2nd in his age group at Ironman 70.3 Oceanside today and 3rd amateur.  He ran a 1:21:50 half marathon  to close out the race.  Geez.  That's off of winter training conditions on the east coast.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good racing, Dave and I think I'd be a little mad about that guy too.  Tramps, so glad that the rain let up for your race, nice to get a PR there.  Stumpy, will the weather be better tomorrow?

I am impressed that you are cooking for not one but two top-notch chefs, Jay. I'm sure you will post your menu. We eat pretty simply compared to what some of you guys make. I did make a big batch of potato salad to go with our burgers on the grill tonight.

My last long run before the Chilly Cheeks 10 mile race next Saturday was on the calendar for today.  It was such a nice morning at 37° and sunny at 7:30. The 9 miles were slow, but I got them done.  I encountered two geese on the bike path over by the campground. I told them to go away and they did. Only saw a couple of runners, a pair of walkers, a dog walker and 3 or 4 busses pulling into the softball & baseball fields.

Have a greta Saturday!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice racing for Tramps and Dave and RunnerKSA's DS!

Dave - that would piss me off, too.  The fact that some jerk feels the need to cheat in a 5K is, well, ridiculous.  I would have felt the need to say something to him, like, "Wow, amazing how you managed to go from behind me to in front of me without ever actually passing me!' and then walking away.  Just so he would know that I knew.

Jay - good news that your Cat Scan was normal.  Your cat will be pleased. 

BerthaSlayer - some runs are just like that....

Starr - do you still have snow on the ground up there?

TomWhite - you make me laugh almost every day.  I need to find a race near you so I can meet you!

5.2 miles for me today in a blustery 40 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

I would be all snarky like that too.   cheater cheaters!

11.3 miles for me today. it was slow but got it done. I ran with a friend and we probably talked entirely too much and that is why I felt winded so much of the time. 

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Jay--that is weird that you're running in your dreams rather than racewalking.

Congratulations to your son, RunnerKSA!  Brag away!

Nice racing Tramps!

Dave--I would be ticked!  I am ticked!  I hate cheating.  I just don't know how anybody could accept an award...or even praise, when they know they cheated.  You deserve to be bugged, so stop being bugged that you're bugged.

tomwhite--I did not know you had a book, but I sure would like to read it, some day.

I went 10 miles, today.  It is beautiful out there right now!  65o!  It was almost too warm for my run...almost...

Okay--I'll leave you all alone.  See ya!