Masters Running

Friday 9/22/23 Last Day of Summer Runs and Workouts (Read 36 times)

Good job on getting your booster shots, Henry. We would have gotten them before our trip if they'd been available but planned to get them as soon as we returned. No need now, I guess...

There is a Paris in Kentucky.  

My parents were married in Paris, Texas, at the army training camp my future dad was at before shipping out to Europe. My DW and I certainly enjoyed our trip to Paris in 2009 and consider it one of our best ever! So good, in fact, that we can never go back because a repeat would never measure up to the first one.

Tramps and TetMark Twain in Montana (distinctlymontana.com)

My DW and I are both still testing positive, which at least means that we don't have to be so careful about isolating from each other. We're both feeling fairly good (except for being tired much of the time) but of course don't want to go out in public until we're sure we won't pass it on. Overall it feels like the early days of the pandemic when we felt trapped at home...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59, this is the Marathon I thought you were talking about ,lol

https://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/en/

moebo

♫ and Paris, Tennessee....♫

Thanks for this, Tramps. Love it!!!

Holly, I forgot to answer your question about grades I teach. It's high school, everyone from 9th to 12th graders.

I guess I can understand not wanting to go to Paris, but I love it.

wildchild

Carolyn

I've never been to Paris, and don't have any interest in going, like Holly!  I don't really like big cities, and when we travel we like going to more scenic, less crowded places.   When we went to Italy, we spent a few days in Rome, and went to the usual tourist places (Vatican, Trevi fountain, Colosseum, etc. but were happy to leave the city and travel around the countryside.  Some of our favorite places were Sardinia and a little island called Lipari.

The aspen leaves are starting to turn here, but it's not gonna be a showy year.  Lots of the trees just look brown.  I don't know if it's just been too wet, or the result of a fungus, but the colors aren't as bright as last year.  I went for a 9.5 mile trail run in Golden Gate Canyon State Park today, in search of good leaf peeping, and I found some pretty groves here and there.  Sunny and gorgeous out, so it was a fun outing.

Hope Tammy and Leslie have fun on your training run tomorrow!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Doug - sorry to hear your DW tested positive as well, but glad you both seem to be doing ok

Tramps - I’m thinking I might have the flu because of how sudden and strong it came on. I was pretty miserable Sunday and Monday and my friend who is the Occ Health Director at Children’s in Boston said they are already seeing flu cases. I don’t know - whatever it is/was, I am improving some every day.

I did call out of work again tomorrow - after another restless sleep last night, I knew it wouldn’t be wise to be up at 5am for a 12 hour shift tomorrow. Interestingly enough, one of the nurses I worked with on Friday has also been out sick since the weekend - we must be all passing our germs around which is another reason I am glad to stay home a few more days!!

Mid-day walk with some jogging intervals for 3.5 miles followed by some stretching and a little core

I’m supposed to be running one of our Grand Prix 10k races on Sunday in Gloucester but will see what the day brings -  I would like to be there to add to our 60yo team even if I just run an easy pace, but if we get high winds and rain I’m out- really TRYING to make smart decisions 

TAMMY and LESLIE have fun tomorrow!! I wish I lived near you ladies!!

denise

BTY

Hi Masters!  Wow, what a difference a workout makes!   I was feeling a little (just a little) down in the dumps sorry for myself b/c today is my birthday and my DW is at her Mom's taking care of her on a new schedule now - WThF instead of the old TuWTh.  I didn't put it together in my head that she'd miss my birthday until a couple of days ago.   But she said there was a chance she could get home tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow morning.  It all rode on her brother getting home from work in time to relieve here - and that does not fill me with hope, normally.  But yay she called me after my workout to tell me she was on her way and would be home by 9:30.   So, that was the attitude adjustment that I really needed.  But the workout helped too.  See, I used to celebrate my birthday by taking the day off - it's always a beautiful day around here on September 22 -  and I'd go for a nice long run on country roads.  Long for me would be 16, maybe 17 miles.  So I thought about what I'd do of a birthday now that I'm a swimmer, and I had so much work to do that the day got away from me and I never took any time off.  Then I realized I didn't really want to do a "Long Swim" and couldn't if I wanted to, since the pool closes at 6:45 on Fridays.   What to do?!?!?  So I looked at last-year-on-this-date in my log, and decided I'd copy the workout and see how much improvement I've made since then.   Lots of repeats of different strokes and drills, and everything was considerably faster tonight, to the point that I have to say that I made more improvement in every stroke - speed and endurance - this year, than I have in any year since I started swimming in 2018.   I will show you what I'm talkin' 'bout.

At the end of this workout I did a set of 200 yard drills.

In the backstroke, I do a 50 yard drill where I take a stroke every twelfth kick; then 50 yards of just kicking, 50 yards fast, and 50 yards slow.

In the breaststroke, I do a 50 yard drill where I do just the pull, with a pull buoy, then 50 yards of just kicking, then 50 yards fast, and 50 yards slow.

In the freestyle, I do a 50 yard Distance Per Stroke drill, then 50 yards of just kicking, then 50 yards fast and 50 yards slow.

Stroke............2022.....................2023

Backstroke.....4:08.......................3:39

Breaststroke...4:37.......................3:38

Freestyle........3:45.......................3:30

All of those are significant improvements, but the improvement in the breaststroke is almost unbelievable.  A minute in 200 yards.

The fact that I haven't "practiced" doing the drills in 10 months and still have made these leaps and bounds means that the work that I'm doing is really effective for me.  And what I have to say has been the biggest change in my regimen over the past 7 months has been the use of the swim fins, and doing about 40 to 50 per cent of my workout as kicks.   I have to think that doing all of that leg work with resistance has helped my heart, lungs, and arteries and veins in ways that I suspected but didn't really believe.   For instance, a year ago, I tried to do a 400 yard time trial in the 400, and fell way back on the 2nd 200 yards, after swimming 3:01 for the first 200.  It was something like 3:25 for the 2nd 200.   I know I could get in the water any night now and swim under 6:00.  Is that fast?   For some, yes, for some it's slow,  But for me it's very fast, and if I actually raced or time-trialed that distance, I could probably swim around a 5:40.   Maybe now I'll have to go back and do the time trial.....

OK, I need to get the house ship-shape before DW gets here.  I need to look like it's been spic-and-span all day, not like I just put a lot of effort into cleaning on Friday night when I found out she was coming home tonight!  

Have a great weekend all!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

And DW has a favorite home in South Paris,ME.  Right to the north of Paris, and Norway, and Cobehagin  and ........

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Just stopping in again to register that I am really ticked off!!  The only way to watch or record the Berlin Marathon is with a FloTrac subscription. I am not going to watch it live. So now we are talking about, I think, $30. To watch one race on tape delay! They really need to create an alternative option.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

OK, I need to get the house ship-shape before DW gets here.  I need to look like it's been spic-and-span all day, not like I just put a lot of effort into cleaning on Friday night when I found out she was coming home tonight!  

BTY - so neat. Just sitting around like you've been waiting all day for DW to come back, . . . maybe the later the better so you can savor a fantastic birthday. 

Doug - very very neat about MT.  His "Roughing It" about travel around the world lecturing to make money to pay off an $80,000 debt faster than he could be writing books got him to Seattle to before a month long voyage to Australia. along with 3,000 cigars to get him there.  It must have worked as he left an estate of around $471,000.

ps - with all the Paris's here and there, I should be able to get to one or the other.

pps twocat - fortunately, I don't but try Thursday night football too. bbYuk.

DW here was very pleased with the Ikea shoe cabinet so much so she thought another one alongside it might look real good and could be used for winter hats, gloves, scarves, etc. , . . . until she tried the knickknack drawer at the top of the shoe ones and, voila !, it was upside down!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Happy birthday BTY!!!!!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Happy birthday BTY!! Hope your DW made it home in time for a nice celebration!!

denise

Just checking in. I'm staying off the PF until it feels like nothing at all. That last run with a couple fast bits last week really did a number on it. I suspect I'll have 2-3 short runs in the next 3 weeks before I destroy it all over again at the World Senior Games.

Sad time of year cuz Summer's over, on paper. This is the start of our local nice weather for a month or so. Or at least it used to be. We had a mild Summer, only a few days over 85 degrees or less than 65. I'm crossing my fingers for decent weather when I go to Phantom Ranch and back at GC on Oct 12.

HEY! Tomorrow is Berlin Marathon! Maybe we'll see a new world record?

Also tomorrow, Ducks beat the Buffs, but don't beat the spread (my best guess).

Happy BD BTY!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

SteveP

Thank you for the start, Holly.  I'm with you on missing summer.

Good for you for taking a rest day, Steve. So, you're the requested company letter writer?

I include a copy on the vendor's invoice.  Their order number.  Our order number.  A list of what we want to return. Usually, the supplier's part numbers. and the reason for the return.  This week, I've had next day pick-ups which is surprising.  I do need to work on typos.

Leslie - My message gun gave up the ghost as well.  GGGrrrr.

Enkephalin - You'd think Gisela Depkat would have acknowledged your kindness but said that she was hoping to not see it again.  She could have gifted the ring to Tammy's son.  He'll likely need it one day.

Or put it on and start calling your husband David...  

DW gets mad when we're getting frisky, and I accidently call her David.  I'm not sure why.

The buddy I hung out with on Monday lives in London.  I was hoping to visit him before he retires, but he's looking for another job. So it better be before November.

BTY - Snork.  Happy birthday!

Hi Stumpy!!!!!

I got 3.15 in the AM.  DW and I put in 1.25 after work.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - If you've got the nearly 15,000 e-mails my AOL goes back to for almost 20 years, you'll have plenty of fodder for NYT Bestseller retirement project: "Complaint Letters from Steve: how to make the hapless recipients love you."

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)