Masters Running

Weightloss Post Holiday Challenge - Week 5 (Read 251 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, today is the last weigh in of our post holiday challenge. How did we all do? I, for one, was a miserable failure this time around. I GAINED a pound! Obviously I have lost my resolve at the moment. All these high-mileage weeks have turned me into a nibbling machine. I need to get back to basics, carrying a notebook around for a few days and writing down EVERY BITE, and maybe that will help me to stop all those stray nibbles. (sigh) How did everyone else do?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dutchie42

Hi Holly, Sorry to hear you gained. For me, the food journalling really really worked. I weighed in at 128.09 lbs (58.1kg) this morning. I gained a little weight over the holidays. When I started food journalling on 1 Jan I was 133.6 (60.6kg). The weight loss was slow, but I never felt deprived of anything. I also changed one thing every week, not trying to change my diet all at once. Guess that made a difference too cause I have no trouble continuing like this. My goals still is 121 lbs (55 kg). I'm halfway there! How did everyone else do?

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

sorry Holly - it is a hard balance for sure!! i stayed the same as last week so overall down 1lb from the start of the challenge - disappointing tho because as of 2 weeks ago i had been down 4 lbs then put 3 back on.........i might start food journalling too altho it seems so tedious -- i know many people have success with it!! let's keep this going -- it does help i think - agree??

denise

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Well, I failed miserably this time around - but then today is not the best day for me to weigh in either. Hormonally challenged again. Roll eyes I think I probably stayed even - but in all honesty I really did not try to diet all that hard. I keep trying to find that mental fortitude I used to have, but it is hiding really well. I'd like to keep trying until I get it right!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I am happy to report success with this challenge. I stepped on the scale this morning to see 201.4, down 14 lbs from the start of the challenge. I am still writing things in a journal and trying to take myself out of mindless eating situations so when DW and I go out to dinner occasionally I don't worry too much about a higher calorie meal. Personally I think it is the little stuff that usually gets to me. I didn't get under 200 yet, but that is coming. I will gladly continue with this if others are going to as well.

Marathon Maniac #957

Yay, Craneium! Greta job! You're totally right - it's the mindless nibbles that are my big downfall.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

I'm the same. I have a huge problem on my hands until this weekend though: birthday cake in the house. It's like I've become a cakeoholic. Seriously. Like my friends who are alcoholics who tell me, "You intellectually know what alcoholism is, but you don't know it viscerally." Yeah. They're right. I didn't know. I might be getting an inkling now. We have this birthday cake here that I seriously have no willpower against. I've never been a sweets person, but this stuff is almost completely irresistable! Don't even ask how many pieces I had yesterday. Black eye I had to hide it because I literally couldn't walk by it without having a piece. I'm amazed at the crap life just throws at ya, when you think you might finally be getting some semblance of order back... this is just baffling. Undecided

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

When we have birthday cake, I leave it out for a couple days and then freeze what's left. A couple weeks later I bring it out again. Cake freezes so well, and then we get a break from it (so I won't be eating it non-stop).

Well, I am the same this week as last - 116 - so that puts me down 3 lbs from the start of the challenge. That's not bad since originally I wanted to lose 2 and ultimately 4. Only a pound to go to get to 115 and I think that will come with some additional miles. Craneium - fantastic job losing 14 lbs!! nono, good luck with that cake situation. I like Holly's idea - freeze some of it and get it out of temptation's way. I am not a sucker for cake, but put something like nuts or salty chips in the house and I cannot resist.

Once a runner . . .

evanflein

Dutchie and Craneium have done (and continue to do) so well! Wow, 14 pounds is awesome. And Dutchie will be at her goal very soon. (you too, Meg!) The rest of us... well. What can I say. I'm 141.5 today, which is where I've been more or less for weeks. Which is good, actually, because when I started all this way back (when was that Holly... December? November?) I was 145.5, so that's down 4 lbs during a difficult time of the year for weight control. Goal is still to be sub 140 for Boston, but the way I'm hanging out at this point makes that seem iffy. I agree the writing everything down is an excellent plan. I do it sometimes, and can see where my problem areas are (evening snacking). But when I get home after work and running, and dinner will be some time off because DS2 and DH aren't home yet (basketball goes late, etc.), it is just soooo hard to stop nibbling. I can eat a whole dinner before dinner, it seems. Need help with that one....
                      TammyinGP

hmmm, I'm up 2 lbs from when I last weighed myself two wks ago. And am up .4 lbs from where I was at the first of the year. I don't get it, as I'm not overindulging in food and have increased my running over the last few wks . . . Maybe I need to start writing everything down so that whatever I'm doing wrong will jump out at me. Or maybe I just need to give up my morning latte's, that probably have more calories in them then I care to admit. . . . Roll eyes

Tammy

Cranium and Dutchie - Good for you guys! Keep it up. As for me, well, I forgot this was weigh-in day, so I just went and did it with clothes on and I"m at 147.8. I'm taking at least a pound off for the clothes (sweat pants, 2 t-shirts, underwear, socks), and the rest, well, I have no idea. Until just a little while ago, I literally have not eaten solids since Sunday around 8:30 pm. Been on a clear liquids diet due to surgery this past Tuesday. Maybe it's all the gas that's built up in my abdomen (ugh!). But then again, maybe it's the body trying to hang on to all it can while I wasn't eating. Dunno. I'm all for another 5-week go around.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Just weighed in on the "official" doctor's office scale after having bronchitis and a sinus infection for over a week: 125 pounds. Same as when I started. The doctor says for someone who's almost 57 I'm in great shape. I'm feeling fat and sluggish. Could we please keep this going for another round?
                              Oops, I forgot to post this morning. Maybe it was on purpose. I weighed 136.5 this morning, which is up 2.5 from last week, but about where I started. However, as I continually point out to Holly, Jlynne, and Mary, you all are much more height/weight appropriate than me. So I echo the consensus of keeping this going and maybe doing the food journal thing. I started it on line when this 2nd thread began, but didn't even make it to noon the first day!!! I entered a 1/2 marathon for March yesterday, and I hope that will motivate me to eat less and run more. Also, I have decided that if I can splurge on a Sonic Rt. 44 Diet Cherry Limeade each morning, I can go w/out eating until lunch. They have only 25 calories and are HUGE! That' s my diet tip for the week. Nono I am so with you on the cake thing. I can't leave anything out. Last night, for no apparent reason, I decided to eat THREE of these HUGE Valentine cookies that I had bought for my sweet tooth DH. They had been sitting there for a week because he prefers the Girl Scout cookies that I also brought home, and bam! I think it was the 2, 3 glasses of wine I had following Zumba class that caused me to have the munchies. Then this morning my Dr's office called and said the blood work I had done when I was having HBP issues came back and showed that my sugar is way high and they said I needed to "watch" my sugar and carbs! As runners, don't we all live on carbs? Phew, I feel better now. Sorry for my long post. Congrats to Dutchie and Craniem.

Marathon Maniac #957

Fussyrunner - you bring up a good point about carbs. As runners, we're told we need lots of them, but I was reading somewhere recently about women over 40 needing to have more lean protein and less carbs, even going so far as to say have almost no carbs after lunch. Where is the middle ground, for us middle-aged women runners?