Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 4.7.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s thermolitic workouts:

Tramps (EZ 6 miles before severe weather, and before he dish

RunnerKSA (3.4 TM mile watching boring stuff on TV)

Stumpy (6.9 not-pretty but dry miles)

Rochrunner (standard gym strength workout)

BerthaSlayer (6 between-sprinkles miles)

CMDan (3.5 green zone, dirty trail miles, then 1.5 slow nighttime miles)

Tet (5.5 enjoyable, cherry-blossomed, sopping wet, TwoCat rule-infringing miles)

Henrun (rain-beating 2 miles, 30 min of indoor cycling)

Deeze (30 min indoor recumbent bike [didn’t break a sweat], then upper body & core work)

Pfriese (Tough tempo 13 miles)

Holly (3.5 pre-early meeting TM miles)

Mike (EZ 7 miles, pre-pizza & drinks)

Evanflein (5.2 mostly-EZ pre-snow afternoon miles with windage and hillage on the way out)

I hope Tramps just has a power outage. 

RunnerKSA - what’s a Oisella team? Any team is a good one if you can all meet for drinks.

Nice mid-week long run, Stumpy.

Lots of folks are dealing with some nasty weather, so just be careful, OK?

Good luck to Claire in her 1st track meet - I hope she gets to run!

Evanflein nailed it, in regard to ‘health care reform.’ It is all about insurance, and the insurance industry is doing nothing but looking out for themselves, and the Feds are not lifting a finger to control it. There is no sense to, or excuse for the way our system is run, including the cost of p. drugs. I’m not getting into this any more than I have because it makes me too angry.

Henrun and Marj, I like the way you two live!

Tough to make decisions for a cat like Abby, but you are doing well, Evanflein. Good that Leslie (and the vet) can give you some s-c fluid pointers.

Deeze, it’s OK to cut yourself some slack every once in a while. Really.

Sounds like a good family decision to get another dog, Holly, even if you’ll be the pet keeper once again. I hope you get a good pup for you all and Dexter.

I went 6.25 RW miles this morning, starting in very dense fog that dissipated as I lost a few yards of elevation and got closer to the water, where it was also breezier. Of course, as I wound my way back toward home, I got fogged in once again. Good workout with steady pacing.

Wishing fast feet, tailwinds, and big grins for Tammy, Ileneforward, Starr, Mariposai, Holly, and anyone else racing this weekend.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Bad week for pets around here.  But Holly’s getting a new puppy!  I look forward to pics.

tomwhite makes me laugh. Just saying.

TexasDan—Been a long time since I did any HR-based running.  It’s been interesting to hear of your efforts.  How’s the 235 working out?  Pretty metrics.

Henry—run, nap, cycling, wine.  Now that’s a training plan!

Meds and health care? Single payer would be a good start. Maybe someday.

You may have seen Bob Hearn dropped in to Sunday’s daily to thank us for our shout outs. I think I’ve told about a dozen non-runners about him this week ( “There’s this amazing guy on my running forum….” ) usually to blank stares. Oh well.

Wild weather all day yesterday with repeated storm bands of heavy winds, rain, and hail—broken up by periods of bright sunshine and blue skies.  Weird stuff that seems to be more common these days.  Amazingly, we didn’t lose power this time, which is good since our aging whole house generator has essentially died.  This is the year I’ll have to cough up the money for a new one…and installation, since that’s beyond my limited DIY skills.

Speaking of tech that’s not working….my Forerunner 220 is acting up again.  I haven’t been able to get it to sync with Garmin Express for several days now. I searched online for advice and tried everything (cleaning contacts, checking drivers, soft and hard resets, etc.) Nothing.  Kind of frustrating.  Advice welcome.

Lots of things to get done today so I decided on the fly to make it a rest day.

Have a good weekend and ...

Go racers!  (And thanks, Paul, for the intrepid thread)

04/08 TammyinGP - Pear Blossom 10 mile, Medford, OR

04/08 Ileneforward - Seal Beach 10k, Seal Beach CA

04/08 StarrRuns - Chilly Cheeks 10 mile, Sioux Falls, SD

04/09 Mariposai - Blooms and Brews Marathon, Woodland, WA

04/09 Holly S. - Xenia ORRRX Marathon, Xenia, OH

Be safe. Be kind.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Interesting discussion yesterday on healthcare/medications.

I am Canadian so am thankful for our universal health care but that doesn't extend to prescription cost. I personally and thankfully have good prescription coverage but feel for those who do not.

Anyway, today is my rest day so just my cute little one miler on the tm. My legs are really feeling trashed from this training. I suppose it is normal with all the mileage I have been pumping out lately and am hoping for a cutback week soon. I am hoping that my coach feels the same way. Speaking of which, I am really enjoying the challenge of his geared-to-me workouts and hope to be able to continue on with them after my race.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Short day for me.  2.2 on the treadmill before work.  Would have taken me longer to dig out the cold weather stuff and get dressed than to run, so I just headed downstairs to the machine.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Yesterday after work - 3 miles on the treadmill.

Today - 4.03 miles at the park.

38° and light rain here.  I've been in a weird mood lately.  I worked out pretty hard at the gym on Wednesday. Yesterday, on the treadmill at the gym I was going 440's at a faster pace. And so today when I was at the park I ran from the soccer fields up to the ridge.  The park has some rolling hills, but there is a .6 to .7 mile stretch of going straight up to the ridge and I rarely go that way.  I had to walk some of it today.

It's only a few hundred feet elevation gain but I was hoping for a few flakes of snow at the top.  Just rain up there too though.

I hope my usual lazy attitude returns before I hurt myself.

I'm not taking a particular side here on the prescription cost issue, but I just finished a book entitled Vaccine by Arthur Allen that covers the history of vaccines, the anti-vaccine movement (which has been around since the early days of smallpox vaccination in the 1700s!), and also talks a lot about what drug companies go through to develop a new vaccine (or other medication). I'd recommend it as some interesting reading, although it's well padded with details in some places.

Ran 2 miles on the TM this morning in prep for a planned longer-than-usual run tomorrow morning, but the skies are clearing now to the point where I might go on a walk this afternoon.

Hoping for another good weekend...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I've been in a weird mood lately. 

I hope my usual lazy attitude returns before I hurt myself.

Holly - First, it made me  when you said you were going to look at rescue options.  There are so many dogs in shelters or foster placements taht need good homes.  And maybe take Dexter with you to help pick out his new friend.

Erika - Good luck with Abby.  Fats would try to hide from us, but he was too old and slow.  He was an unhappy camper every time we gave him fluids, but we followed it up with a good treat, so he would grudgingly forgive us.

Bertha - Does your coach give you a cutback week every 3-4 weeks? I always found that a cutback every 3 weeks was what I needed.

Jay - I always like running in fog, especially predawn.

Boy did we have a wind storm all night!  Woochee!!  It absolutely dumped rain for about an hour or so with winds, then around 8:30 the winds really kicked up.  Woke us a number of times, especially when it pushed our two stacked plastic Adirondack-style chairs across the back deck about 8 feet.  They stopped when they ran into The Hub's smoker.  Needless to say, for the cats it was a very quick "let me out to pee and let me back in!" at O-dark 30.

It was a bad day yesterday with my butt issue and I was just bummed and depressed.  For the entire day, I sat maybe a total of an hour; otherwise, I stood at my desk from the time I got there at 7:30 until I left 4:30, not to mention standing to get ready for work, fix my lunch, etc.  I was supposed to go to a meeting last night, but the thought of trying to sit in the restaurant's chairs was more than I could bear.  I needed to be prone with ice, ice, baby.  Then The Hub and I talked about finances, etc., when I got home.  We're still working on paying off a large debt we had to incur from when things happened with him six years ago.  *sigh*  If I was a drinking woman, I would've indulged last night.

That being said, it's Friday, I have a very interesting typing project to work on at home, and I am able to rig things there so I can stand most of the time.  A local retired attorney wrote a book about his Vietnam experience and needs it in electronic format.  He wrote on a typewriter soon after he got back from the war.  I'm looking forward to working on it. 

Have a good one, friends ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

pfriese

Henry—run, nap, cycling, wine.  Now that’s a training plan!

Yeah, I like Henrun's training plan, too.

An easy 7 mile run around town this morning.

Paul

TammyinGP

it goes without saying that I'm a huge advocate for rescue pets. At least at our county shelter, we don't get puppies in often although we did just have a litter of 8 shepard/rott/pit mixes. super cute.  In many shelters, you see dogs in the 8 month range and older. By 8 months, people are generally tired of their pets that they never spent any time disciplining or training and realize they no longer have time for that cute puppy they fell in love with. There is nothing quite like a shelter dog though. it's like they KNOW they have been rescued and have a different love and appreciation for their new family. 

volunteered at the middle school T&F meet yesterday. It was good to see so many of my XC runners running track and doing so well. 

We've had crazy wind and rains throughout the night (you too Leslie??) and we lost power at some point in the night. Over 69K people w/o power in So. Oregon and No. California. I was shocked that our power came back on about 7:45 a.m..  Winds are still strong though.  I sure hope this all blows through today. I have a 10 mile race in the morning!

Tammy

...well, 3rd Grade Track is Officially done

8-schools,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ours came in 7th

40-degrees and strong winds

Claire didn't get to run

but

managed to eat-

nachos

little debbie cakes

popcorn

hersey kisses

and

a peanut butter sandwich

good thing she didn't run because ''run til you puke'' would not have been fun to watch

she and about 10 of her not-running buddies

got to scream clap yell stomp and generally have a blast in the bleachers

AND had Really Cool Shirts

at this age I guess that's what counts

(I'll have her trained by next year)

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good running guys,,,,,,,,,,,,scream clap yell and stomp whenever possible

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

..,,scream clap yell and stomp whenever possible

This is the QOTD.

Claire sounds like a future ultra marathoner.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

TomWhite - I will keep that in mind...

No run for me today, just swimming, 50 times across the pool (1250 yards) and some core.

Our friends gave us a gift card to a fancy new local restaurant for Christmas, and tonight we are dining there with them.

Happy Friday!

ETA: DD and I went to SICSA after school, and I wanted to adopt ALL of them.  But none were what we are really looking for.  In front of the cages were little signs telling you about the dog, and one of them almost made me cry.  It was a 2yo Mastiff, and the sign said (something close to this), "My name is Bo, and I had a happy family, and I was a good dog.  But then they brought home a puppy, and I couldn't get along with the puppy, so the family put me in a shelter, and now I am looking for a forever home."  How awful!  People can be so cruel.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

After getting drenched yesterday, I was kind of hoping in the kind of perverse way you can only get if you grow up in it and think it's normal and want to see if you can survive the worst it can get, I was looking forward to Leslie's violent wind/rain storm reaching the PNW by this morning's five'er but it's still stuck down in Oregon and I barely got damp.  oh well. However, by lunch hour, winds had picked up a little so maybe a return five-miler'll be in order, after all. Anyone with any extra rain, send it to me. I'm ready. thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

. . . . I was looking forward to Leslie's violent wind/rain storm reaching the PNW by this morning's five'er but it's still stuck down in Oregon and I barely got damp.  oh well. However, by lunch hour, winds had picked up a little so maybe a return five-miler'll be in order, after all. Anyone with any extra rain, send it to me. I'm ready. thanks.

Only Tet.  

Holly - That's why I applaud folks like Tammy and my co-worker's husband who volunteer at shelters.  I don't know how they do it.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Am I imagining things, or is tet running 5 miles a day, now?  Next thing you know, he'll be buying a pair of running shoes...and pigs will fly...

Lots of racing going on, this weekend...go, go, go!

I've been trying to follow a kid trying to compete the Zion 100 miler.  He ran cross country with Ryan in high school.  His wife is posting on Facebook Live.  At a little over 30 miles, he was having some knee pain.  I don't think he's going to make it...but he's trying hard.

I went a little less than 100 miles, today...8 to be exact.

This has been a very tough week...I'm glad it's over.

Okay--that's about all I've got.  See ya!