Masters Running

Thundering Tuesday, April 6 Runs and whatnots ..... (Read 509 times)

Very Nice Bike Roch !  I see it's a Cannondale.....what model ?

Slo, it's a Synapse Carbon 5 (105 components, compact double).

Tom, I hope that your daughter can get another chance. Do more internships open up periodically? And that was a pretty good run -- doesn't look like you're slowing down.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TomS - Hope things work out for your daughter.  Perhaps she could do some private dietician work until she finds an internship?

dg - Take care of that cold.

Mary - Too funny!!  I started on some new asthma medicine.  The Hub questioned why I needed it, so I explained that I'm having to use my inhaler way too much during my runs.  I said, "For like a 10-mile run, sometimes I have to use it 3 or 4 times, especially if it's cold."  He says, "Maybe you shouldn't be running that far."   And this is the guy who's going to crew for me this weekend.   I could've smacked him.

Roch - Nice bike!

{{{Tramps}}} and {{{Perch}}}

Yes, that was a fantastic basketball game last night, and I'm not basketball fan.  The stuff movies are made of . . . mm hm . . .

4 fairly sproinky miles this a.m. 1 EZ, 2 RP, 1 EZ.  Race pace is a relative term for me since I pretty much have slower and not so slow.  Am suppose to do 3 in the same manner tomorrow, but I think I'm going to do them all EZ.

One of my best buds called me this a.m. and wished me luck for this weekend.  It really meant a lot.  And my co-worker best bud is sick, and she called this a.m. to say she was staying away in the hopes that I wouldn't catch "it" before this weekend.  Whatever "it" is, it's been hitting this office hard.  I think me and one other person are the only ones who have been spared, knock on wood.

Have a good day ~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mary, that "fat ass" comment wouldn't go far in our household when DH's rear end must be bigger than mine.  He was skeptical so I proved it once by putting on his jeans.

Stumpy, boy that runner must have been grooving on some major endorphins!  So glad to hear your running is improving.  Any races planned?

{{{Perch}}}

Holly, we really need our bathroom done but neither of us wants to take the initiative.  Now I know I want tiles like that in it though.

Roch - I am a closet Blizzard junkie.  I sneak out when the kids are at school and hide the cup down in the garbage so they don't know.  Chocolate Extreme.  Nice bike btw.

We had thunderstorms here yesterday, in the distance so I was happy it was a rest day.  Today I have to get out for a little run after dinner.  As long as it isn't too windy I'll try a tempo.  The rain is a given.

tselbs, sorry to hear about your daughter.  It seems what jobs are in demand changes every ten years making it hard to  plan a career.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Slo

Roch

I'm kicking myself in the butt right now.  I have a 2004 Schwinn Fastback Comp that I am turning into a touring / party ride bike.

I ended up going with a triple crank and a 9 speed cassette. This is what the bike originally had....which is now "old school".  I'm wondering if going with a compact double crank and a 10 speed wouldn't have been better. It's very rare that I'm in the 3rd ring. 

I guess it always leaves the option of turning it into a "Bagger".  We get those guys thru here on occasion.....travel aross the entire U.S. self supported. Carry everything on the bike.

Good afternoon, all!

Mary - I'm sure your DH intended that comment in the best way possible ;-).  Does he get to eat tonight?

Roch - very nice bike!

Tom - I'm so sorry your daughter didn't get an internship - tell her to hang in there - we're all pulling for her!

dg - take care of yourself and get rid of that stupid cold quickly!  Glad to hear Sadie is doing OK. 

Leslie - hope you dodge the office virus.

7.5 miles on the elliptical this morning - 72 minutes at 131 AHR - seemed harder than that.  We had IRC this morning - high 40's and calm, but I decided to use some common sense for a change.  Just finished a yoga session - ahhhhhhhhhh!

Jeanne - sorry - forgot the recipe.

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Jlynne

Yes, that was a fantastic basketball game last night, and I'm not basketball fan.  The stuff movies are made of . . . mm hm . . .

Yeah, did you notice that CBS would inject pieces of the theme song from "Hoosiers" every now and then? Loved the length of the men's shorts back then.

Sarge - how do you think they had enough time to make the "switch" on the parking ramp? Bauer was right on their tail. How did they get him drugged, out of the car and into another trunk in - say - about 1 minute?

Talking about DQ - already been there twice this season. DH loves the hot fudge sundae, I like the vanilla cone dipped in chocolate.

Roch - that's a great bike. Have you noticed that our RA men all photograph extremely well?

Tom, sorry to hear your DD didn't get the internship. I hope something becomes available for her.

Interesting story in a special edition of "Runner's World" I got this week about GI problems - made me think of Leslie and some of our other runners. And one on being race ready, including a small article on "Are you a Taper Hypochondriac?"  It's a "Special Beginner's Guide." Maybe they're trying to tell me something....

evanflein

Taper Hypochondriac, ha that's funny. Wouldn't know anything about that. No sirreee. Actually, I love taper, except for the gaining weight part, just gotta find a way to not eat while tapering I guess.

Tramps, knock that off. I'll start obsessing about the weather next week.

Nice bike, Roch. Have a good trip!

Poor Sadie in the bathtub. Reminds me of Cheyenne. She never got in the bathtub, but during thunderstorms (and 4th of July and New Year's) she'd nervously pace around the house, panting and looking scared. Glad to hear you're behaving yourself, Deb, and good luck getting rid of that cold.

Leslie! Good luck this weekend! And yes, avoid sick coworkers like the plague. Last fall my cubby-neighbor was sick all through August and September... before Equinox. I had lots of hand sanitizer around and put some on her desk, too.

No real workout yesterday, so I guess it's a "rest" day, but we were up late sanding, prepping and painting primer on our bathroom walls. We're nearing completion on the apartment remodel project (finally!!) and getting excited about having that place rented. Still gotta paint the whole place though. Bleh. I'll RAL today...

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh man Doug - those heath blizzard are my favorite!!!   Too many of those and I really will have a fat ass!!  Big grin   Nice ride you've got there.

Carolyn - If for one minute, I didn't think he was kidding the coroner would be at my house right now.   I hope you are able to get your temp run in tonight.

Sue - He is on his own tonight as my SIL is taking me out for dinner after work.   Serves him right!  Wink   Good job putting common sense to work.

Sorry Tom that DD didn't get the internship.   Hopefully something else will come along soon.

{{{Dg}}}   {{{{Sadie}}} that makes me sad that you found her in the bathtub.   Poor girl.

I have the new Runner's world here at work .... might have to open it up this afternoon.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps good idea to just ice.  Better a day off than to torch all you have done so far and end up with a long lay off instead.

tselbs I am sorry to hear about your daughter.  Every profession is different and has it quirks so I have no idea how serious a setback this is.  Hopefully, not too serious and that even absent an internship other things will be available.

[editor:  Did you see this line by dg., "I habba code.   I felt awful yesterday then it hit this morning."  Hysterical!  How come you cannot write like that!  It would make my life a lot easier I tell you!  Might even get somebody to read your posts every now and then! Twocat:  <slinking away>]

fatozzig be careful about getting whatever it is!   Have you thought of calling in sick now and avoid being really sick for several weeks?  Heck, might actually work out better for your employer!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Rochrunner I have to compliment you on your taste in bikes. I just bought the same one in March.
                      wildchild

Carolyn

Mary, I loved your DH's "motivational" comment! I guess it worked.    He must actually think your butt looks pretty good or he wouldn't have dared to say that.
                        Jeanne, I love your new Baby Will avatar!  What a cutie. Hope your heel feels better.
                        Kevin, you said that happy runner was greeting everyone he passed, and I was wondering how crowded your streets/paths/sidewalks are at sunrise?
                        Doug, cool bike!  I'd love to take up barefoot running but the only place I've ever run barefoot is on the indoor track at the rec center. I prefer to run on dirt, and that's tough in bare feet.
                        Tramps and Kimmie, sorry about your heat wave!  90° already?  We have the opposite problem - winter storm warning tonight. Come on out for some cool air (and snow).
                        Deb, poor Sadie! My dogs associate the bathtub with baths and I wouldn't think they'd voluntarily go there.  I hope your "code" gets better soon.
                        Tom, I hope your DD finds a job in her field.  It's a tough economy and it's hard to know what fields will be in demand.  My DD is majoring in engineering (actually engineering physics), which is supposedly in demand, but who knows how things will be in 4 years?

Leslie, maybe you shouldn't be running that far.    But good luck this weekend anyway! 

Perch, hope your butt feels better today.  (Where else could you say that except on a running forum?)

No running today - I remembered my running shoes but it's cold and very windy, which are NOT my favorite running conditions.  Plus I'm leaving early because DD and I are going to a Muse concert tonight, so I just worked thru lunch.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I am a closet Blizzard junkie.  I sneak out when the kids are at school and hide the cup down in the garbage so they don't know.

I think there's a therapy group for this - DQBA.

Twocat - Hm.  Call in "sick" to work tomorrow.  Hmmmm.  Think they'd be suspicious??

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I think there's a therapy group for this - DQBA.

I'm powerless over Blizzards, and my waist has become unmanageable.....

Twocat - I always read your posts!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

I'm so far behind on this board and am sure I've missed lots of news and accomplishments over the past week.

I definitely need to go check out yesterday's thread though for these pictures of Holly's floor. Getting new flooring is on our 'wish list' of projects to do over the next few years.

I got a chuckle out of the "fat ass" comment since I just came from my sports massage guru who focused on hips/glutes today. As much as I like to think my ass is pretty okay for a 40 something, I'm sure laying there buttnekkid when your glutes are not engaged, my ass was seeming pretty 'fat ass' . . . so hard to relax in a setting like that   .

doug - I like your new ride! I have a Cannondale also. I have vowed to spend more quality time this summer with Mr. Cannon Dale - he's been neglected for years now.

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Kevin, you said that happy runner was greeting everyone he passed, and I was wondering how crowded your streets/paths/sidewalks are at sunrise?

Carolyn--my lake loop has a good population of walkers and runners most morning, especially now that it warmed up a bit.  it's a nice closed loop of all sidewalk and 3.2 miles for one lap.  I feel slightly superior to all the poor folks that drive and park to walk the lake when I can just cross the street from my house and be there.  it does mean that I have VERY little excuse for NOT getting out.  Max the dog spends a lot of time there in the evening with me.

BTW--congratulations on your DD getting into Cornell.  It's a gorgeous area in the Finger Lakes.  ( grew up in Rochester, just a little to the north)  It was actually one of the places that I wanted to go almost 40 years ago for their forestry program, but ended up at Syracuse.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.