Masters Running

Sunday, wrapping up Western States and June; 6/30/2019 (Read 45 times)

evanflein

I've never seen a turtle other than sea turtles in Hawaii. Would love to see one! Joe, that nest seemed very close to the path. You'd think they'd seek out a quieter area. Hope no one steps on the nest!

So, as much as I don't want to, I think I'm taking the day off running. Maybe tomorrow, too. It's hot, our air quality is bad (currently "unhealthy") and my knee hurts. Why would my knee hurt more a week after the fall than it did a few days after?

spinach

We had a good race today. It was a 5k race that they had in st Cloud for about ten years but this year they added a dog race. A  5K9 race.  So I signed up with my dog and we were interesting to see how it would be.  Well it wasn't a very good dog race I think only one other dog was in the race and he finished 20 or 25 minutes after Archie finished.

The race was okay, I was a little worried because we were supposed to have a very hot and humid weekend, our first summer days since May and June were very cool. Fortunately we had a lot of clouds and threatening of storms this morning. Fortunately it stayed dry for us and we got in fine and it was fairly comfortable. The temperature was only about 72 and we had some strong winds and clouds kept the sun away. A good race.  We finished in 21:13, I won the 60+ age group and Archie won the dog group. A good race

dg.

hi  : )

my run doesn't show up either, after updating garmin express.

but it was 10 miles, first time in quite a while.     please forgive me if I say Yippee!!    even if pokey slow.

thanks marj, Holly, Tramps...  gave me a combination of info that added up to caution, but since I don't think the rib fracture(s) are very bad, not much change as far as what hurts.   I decided to give it a try.  was thinking maybe yours were worse, marj, so my almost a week was just about the same as your 2?   almost quit after the first mile, & then after 5.  anyway, got it done, posture tweaks helped.  I asked a passing runner (who if I didn't know better I'd swear was Erika's sister!)  if she had experience with this.   she did.   but the really helpful part was that she noticed I was holding my left arm & shoulder funny, with advice to stretch it out afterward.

Tet your post about birds etc made me smile.   I used to keep my garage door open (in part, it was also hard to close)  so that the birds could nest in there.   stopped when there were raccoon tracks all over the walls. 

gotta agree with Erika, Starr,  you do pack a lot into a day.  wtg getting back out there for four!

& way to tough it out, Karen.   your run the other day sounded hard.

Erika,  argh so sorry about your knee along with everything else.

2kitty, phew!!!    ... um, no particular reason, but do we have a rule about running while our hammies hurt, after they have been recently reattached?      so glad your run went well.

Joe thanks for the recap!   glad you are getting used to the H&H.  I kept thinking this morning, this is only the beginning.  

I saw a big turtle last week, don't know what kind.  this morning, there was a box with protection over it by the side of the path, turned out it was a turtle nest, protected from predators ; ).    The turtle talk reminded me of a book that i liked quite a bit, took some doing to find it, but it's called "Self-Portrait with Turtles", by David Carroll.  I may have liked the first part the best.   would have copied & pasted some from the 'look inside' but it's copyrighted material.  https://www.amazon.com/Self-Portrait-Turtles-Pa-David-Carroll/dp/0618565841

tramps I'm glad you feel well enough to get out there, tough about the h&h.

Henry, nice poem : )

Jeanne I hope you & yours are all ok.

back to trying to get Everything done before Monday.    Have a great Sunday everybody.

Joe618

Spinach, wow, 21:13 in a 5K!!  That is hauling, congratulations to you and to Archie!   Rocking it!!!!

Yeah, Garmin data didn't upload for me this morning.   This has happened before and will resolve.   Might even reload, later.  Interestingly, I used the Live Track option (as I often do) to let my wife see where I was.   I also send that to myself.   That uploaded perfectly and the data was correct.   So  I used that data to manually update my RA data. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Good race, spinach and Archie!

I was fooling with the RA and Garmin Connect/Strava issue this morning and Ken's bike ride popped up before he was even in the house from the garage, so the technical issue was pretty limited!

Went over to the pool for about an hour and a half and floated on my pool noodle and chatted with friends.  It's hot, but was fine in the water.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

My DW and I went for a 12 mile ride yesterday evening, making it another of those multi-shower days with all the humidity. But today the temps dropped to mid 80s and lower humidity, so we took a 23 mile ride on a local trail that we hadn't done for many years. DW was thrilled to ride her 200th mile on her e-bike, easily exceeding her totals for the last couple years.

Traffic everywhere is pretty light since it's a holiday week and there weren't very many people on the trail either. So a nice outing to cap off the weekend!

Starr, I mistakenly put some Bullfrog sunscreen on my forehead a few years ago. It's alcohol based so when I started sweating it ran into my eyes and blinded me almost as you described.

Some good running reported here but it's tough posting from my phone so I'll call it a post for the day...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

no turtles or does seen on my run today, but there is currently a doe grazing in my field. Took turns taking the dogs out for a run this morning. I got in a total of 8.2 for the day.

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Still around, Deb.  Still only Maggie miles, so not as much incentive, along with busy times at work and life.  Have started up full court BB and will hit the third week tomorrow and see if it's any easier.  Early guess, probably not. 

Up in Maine this weekend, working around a few t'storms passing through.  Went to open the island camp that we couldn't open last month due to loon nesting.  We had been told that no one every went back to the nest so thought we were safe.  Yesterday, we wnet over to try again, but found two loons hanging out.  they left so we landed, but did find another egg, so we departed once again. We checked with the lake's loon lady (yes, it's a thing) and she looked at the egg and told us it was an old one. so it will probably have to wait till I get back up for the fourth.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Congratulations to you and your dog, Spinach.

Because it was pouring rain and we had lightening in the area, I ran 4 miles on the treadmill while watching the replay of the US Women's soccer match against France.  When I was done, I saw it had stopped raining so I took Ryan's dog out for 2 more.

Okay--I've got a whole lot to do before bedtime so--see ya!

Joe618

Hello everybody!

Congratulations to you and your dog, Spinach.

Because it was pouring rain and we had lightening in the area, I ran 4 miles on the treadmill while watching the replay of the US Women's soccer match against France.  When I was done, I saw it had stopped raining so I took Ryan's dog out for 2 more.

Okay--I've got a whole lot to do before bedtime so--see ya!

Mike, check your RA email...I'm gonna be in your neighborhood over the 4th!!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, some decent (bigger than pop up) thunderstorms yesterday evening....and unfortunately didn't really cool anything this morning.  I did get out earlier today which helped.  I did 12.5 miles--first half completely overcast then it gradually became more sunny.  Overall pace around 9:20 (some walking the last 3.5 miles).  After lunch, I joined some other riders for a 16.5 recovery ride.  Ride is designed for new/inexperienced riders so it's at the pace of the slowest that day.  Pace was 13.5 mph.  Hot and humid, but a fun ride.

Lots of excellent workouts (and nature sightings) out there.

Spinach, congratulations!

Need to write a spin profile, have a greta evening everyone!

I stayed up late last night watching the live feed at WS finish line and listening to Trail Runner Nation's 24 hr live stream.  I absolutely love their podcast.

Like Joe said, the overall winner, Jim Walmsley, finished the entire 100 miles in 14:09, breaking the course record - which he did last year, as well - by more than 20 min.  Over 14,000 feet of elevation gain and almost 23,000 feet of loss.  His average pace for the 100 miles was 7.11  I watched the last 30 min via the live feed.  Even 6 hrs away, I had goosebumps as the last official finishers crossed the line with less than 30 seconds to spare.  I love that race!

Yesterday I got to the gym after working for about 4 hrs.  Spent 45 min on the elliptical then 25 min on the treadmill - 5 min at 5%, 5 min at 7.5%, then 10 min between 10 and 15% walking at about 35/mph, then a 5 in cool down.  The hill walking definitely irritates my surgery site, so I'll lower the level and see if I do better staying below 15%.

Today was about 45 min of core/ST.  Working on leg lifts when doing side planks.  Cripes, that's hard!

2KItty - {{Healing Hugs}} for your hammy!!

11 days 'til we get outta dodge for a short while.  Can't wait!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

7.5 in about an hour; not pushing it so totally acceptable.

Lady-packing: my life accomplice is off on yet another two week fashion industry junket, including a Big Gay Wedding in Milwaukie and stays in NYC and Chicago. She spent more than a week laying out things and deciding what to take. I think she did very well, just one medium suitcase and a carry-on. Also considering she has to interact with judgey fashion people, and be prepared for Milwaukie, Chicago, NYC and Savannah (meeting the girl at JFK to go to Savannah College of Art and Design to get dorm room and stuff settled for Fall).

Spinach, oh, the timing! Very good time for an oldster! And, just today I learned there is a natural compound in spinach that some sport scientists are saying should be on the banned PED list. https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/weird/chemical-found-in-spinach-has-the-same-effect-as-steroids-and-should-be-banned-for-athletes-scientists-say/275-a0b90d37-c42a-43e9-8547-8c2bd306580c

Now we're all going to rush out and eat 9lbs of spinach before the next race.

Walmsley average 7:11 over 100 trail miles? 🤯😵😠😡🤬 why can't I do that?!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

spinach

Spinach, oh, the timing! Very good time for an oldster! And, just today I learned there is a natural compound in spinach that some sport scientists are saying should be on the banned PED list. https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/weird/chemical-found-in-spinach-has-the-same-effect-as-steroids-and-should-be-banned-for-athletes-scientists-say/275-a0b90d37-c42a-43e9-8547-8c2bd306580c

Now we're all going to rush out and eat 9lbs of spinach before the next race.

Well I grow a lot of spinach and eat a lot more. That may be the reason.  Popeye actually knew spinach was the right thing to eat, and I learned it from him.

Surly, I heard the radio guys banter about that Spinach story too.

Stumpy, the loons up north in MN have hatched and are so cute on their mama’s back. Glad you are still around.

So I finally got my Garmin to sync with my computer. Deleting the history did the trick. I would like to know what everyone likes about Strave. I just have a free account and there is not much there. Plus it records my runs as walks and that makes me mad.

94 here again today and feels like 104. This, however, is preferred to -35 in January. The breeze made church in the park pleasant. I picked up a Somali woman for church today. Listening to her story made my troubles seem like a bump in the road.

I got got my running duds on this morning but ended up spending too much time on the flowers. My neighbor can’t take care of her side of our adjoining Flower beds so worked on that before church then watered everything. We took the boat out for a cruise to see my BIL’s pontoon and lift after the storm on Tuesday. It is 100 yards from where it was, flipped over 180 degrees with the boat still under the lift. Crazy!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich