Masters Running

Saturday St. Patrick’s Daily (Read 45 times)

where is everyone?

Surprised myself by doing an 8.1 mile run here in SW Florida.  I didn’t put water out, which I sort of needed.  I decided to do a reset since my running hadn’t been going well after the 5 week cold.  I did a slow, low heart rate run and didn’t look at my splits.  I was slow, but I felt better.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' KSA, and those to follow.

Glad you felt better on your 8.1 miler this morning, KSA.

Friday’s workouts:
      Deeze (3.1 TM miles + 1 mile walk)
      Buehrle (2 walking miles with Ralph + abs, arms Cybex, stretching, etc.)
      Tramps (5 morning miles)
      RunnerKSA (5.5 flat Ft. Myers miles in 50° and sun)
      Twocat (1 hr. on the elliptical)
      Tomwhite (50 min bike ride)
      Holly (52 pool laps [1,300 yrds])
      Henrun (2 sunny, cold morning miles with ice around)
      Anzlo (2 mile walk)
      Wildchild (16 miles with 3,000 ft. of elevation change)
      Pfriese (6 EZ miles)
      Evanflein (4.03 elliptical miles + ⅔ walking track miles + planks, squats, lunges, ‘bird dogs’.)
      Falconfixer (6 mostly EZ miles, with a few at MP)
      StarrRuns (3 out&back trail miles on a cold, windy day)
      Mike (6 miles)

We had an indoor racewalking training session this morning. Because of injuries, illness, travel, and perhaps some forgetfulness, I was the only one there. I got there early to get in a few miles on my own, and when no one showed up at the regular time, I just kept going. A woman who was running was my 'rabbit' for about a mile and a quarter, which was hard work, but fun. 7 RW miles total - 84 laps around the small indoor track, but who's counting?

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

6.5 easy paced miles for me today in a breezy 34 degrees.

DD has a lacrosse game at 5, but other than that, not much excitement here.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

No running; just thought Leslie might be interested in this piece on Humboldt County.

As you were.

Be safe. Be kind.

...mornin'.......

....40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris, paw

............Enjoy the Day.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

good morning. Late start to my Saturday here. Or, I guess it was actually an early start but then I went back to bed and stayed there til about 9 am.  We were up at 3:00 and DH and DS left the house at 4:00 for their flight down to Fontana for the Nascar race. 
              It's starting out very sunny here today so will get in a run at some point. 
              first, it's my quiet coffee time. 

Tammy

Anzlo

Long slow run this AM in decent running weather; 40's, overcast mostly, and despite threat, no rain.  I wore my lightweight rain jacket for the outer layer as a precaution.  Accomplished what I wanted for this run; 15 miles using run/walk at 11:15 pace and keeping my heart rate average at max minus 50bpm per Hadd's thoughts on easy running (approx. 70% max).  DW went farther doing a 20 mile run.  We crossed paths and I ran with her briefly.  She's feeling a little more sluggish in her runs than she would like and her legs are tiring more than last year at this time.  I think maybe she needs a little more rest.  She cross trains more than I do, possibly too much.  But then, I think I cross train too little.

Hope you all have a great weekend, and God's speed to you St. Patty's racers/runners !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy St. Pat's Dash I've been doing for more than 20 years.

Oddly enough, checking through some of the past results,

time's about the same though, . . . whoops, it used to be 8K.

Good job jay.

KSA - five weeks for a cold?

that's more than some people train, . . . I think.

It's starting out very sunny here today so will get in a run at some point.

your weekend runs're starting to get to be down right scary.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

tets - Jay and I both experienced the cold that wouldn’t quit this season.  It was the cough that hung on.  I felt OK before 2 weeks, but was still barking, despite steroid inhaler etc.  It was terrible.  I rarely get sick, and I don’t like it when I do.  The streak didn’t die, though.  Run On!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Until this year, the longest colds I ever heard of might be four days or maybe five but unlikely.  Sure makes the streak that much more memorable, . . . and on and on through the cold of 2018.

ps - thanks for your runnning NCAA commentaries. I guess the West Coast still has Gonzaga , . . . and there’s still two chances for a team from Michigan to be in on the mix, . . . or maybe not.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I did 10 miles and, when I got home, Debbie's car was in the driveway...she usually parks it in the garage...the next thing I knew I was cleaning it...I haven't even stretched, yet.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya.

pfriese

Happy St. Patrick's Day. 

I did make a Guinness pie for today's meal. I also made an Irish whiskey chocolate cake for dessert and some home-made Irish cream to drink while eating it.

In running news, an easy 9.5 miles this afternoon for me.

Paul

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings all.  Late post of fairly early run.  Remembered the way to the lake and around after a week off.  3.1 miles with a bit of a breeze at 30F.  Not TOO slow.  Hope to make it out tomorrow, too.

Sadly getting used to a quiet house--we lost our little kitty of almost 15 years yesterday.   She was diagnosed with advanced kidney disease a couple of months ago and in the past couple weeks lost a lot of weight.  DW found her under a bed in the afternoon after not coming down all day.  Never had a cat that I liked as much--maybe because she acted more like a dog.  I still think I hear her walking around.

Nice long runs for a good number of folks for such a short thread.  I thought of Jay when I saw an actual race walker go by in the opposite direction.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Stumpy - Sorry to hear about your kitty.  We've lost two cats to kidney disease.  So far, Ziggy, our old guy is doing well.

Tramps - Thanks for sharing the article.  Things are going to get real interesting in this county before it all settles down.  A lot of us are predicting a dump in housing prices without so much cash at the ready.  Some of the smaller businesses are already feeling the pinch of less cash floating around.  Unfortunately, the Humboldt County Planning Dept, which is overseeing everything, was wholly unprepared for the number of applications they received when they opened up the process.  September 15, 2017, was the last day to turn in applications for this round, and hundreds are sitting in the Planning Dept and haven't even had an initial review.  Folks who turned in applications clear back in May, June 2017 are still waiting for their permits.  They can't apply for a state license until they have either an interim or an annual permit.  About a month ago, the Planning Commission voted to issue interim permits to everyone who applied for an application under having prior cultivation - so they can at least apply for a temporary state license - but they don't even know when they'll get the interim permits issued.  The whole thing is a mess.  We have clients calling daily asking about the status of their permits, and all we can tell them is the county is the problem.

Interesting talk about sick pay, etc., yesterday.  The other day I was thinking I wish we got some incentive at work for not using sick days.  We get 10 days of sick leave each year, and I use maybe 3 or 4 a year.  Any not used at the end of the year go away.  Although, I was able to use them two years ago when my dad was sick.

We went to a memorial service today for a local man who was killed in a logging accident last week.  42 years old.  I didn't know him, but The Hub did through Crabs baseball.  500 people were in attendance, and it sounds like he lived a great life and was very loved.  Left behind a young daughter and a wife of only 3 years.  The Hub was having a hard time, so we went for a drive and to the beach.  While on the drive, we were driving by a cow and calf slowly when I realized the baby had just been born since the cow was eating the placenta.  The little guy's legs were very wobbly and he assessed his new surroundings.  But that's how it is - a life is taken and a life is given and we continue the amazing circle.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

7 RW miles total - 84 laps around the small indoor track, but who's counting?

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Holy Smokes!!!

(((((Stumpy))))) I'm sorry bud.

Leslie, I worked for a company that bought back sick days from their employees. That gave people the incentive to show up infectious. Then we were purchased by a company that let a person accumulate their sick days until they could supplement a long term workman's comp claim. Now we have five "use them or loose them" days.

Dad's out of rehab and back home in Florida. I don't have a ton of details as we're not communicating well. He wants my aunt to have Power of Attorney. She doesn't want it.I don't either, but I can help a lot.  I balanced his check book while down there. UGH. Even he can't read his writing. He's not recording SSI and pension deposits. Nor has he recorded all of his debit card transactions. I told him I can do that from Michigan. He got defensive and offensive. He told me his sister isn't going to bleed him dry. I might. I'm detaching for a bit.

I spent most of the day at work getting ready for next weekend's audit.

SteveP