Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 10.18.13 (Read 46 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Slo, thanks for the perspective on permeability.

The seminar yesterday was about (and was in) salt marshes. It was fascinating, and I had no trouble staying awake, Jlynne. It's that time of the year when there is a lot of weather ying-yang, and it is tough to know what to wear from day to day, isn't it?

I'm glad you crack yourself up, Ribs. If humor is in the eye of the beholder, I guess you are doing pretty well. Good luck with the new client/industry in Seattle.

Twocat continued the discussion about upper age groups in races. Purely from an RD perspective, you have to look at it like adding a competitive walker division - will there be enough people entering in that division to make it worthwhile to hand out awards? If a race usually gets 4 or 5 walkers (or runners 65-70, or 70+), does it make sense to give out awards to most of the entrants in that category? However, when you look at what those older runners are accomplishing compared to so many others in their age range, it should be an honor to help celebrate their fitness and tenacity, regardless of how many runners they are competing against.

Lovin' the tomato talk!

All the new acronyms are making my head spin, when I stop scratching it while trying to figure out what they mean... Big grin

Holly, what have you decided for Saturday? Good luck, whether it is the 17K or 16-18 mi training run.

Mo boy, I've never had my feet turn color from shoes. However some of my formerly-white socks have taken on the hue of the inside of current and past rw shoes. Isn't being handed a beer along a course sometimes better that getting a trophy at the end??

"Slice 'em, bread 'em, and fry 'em!!" Are we talking about Congress again?

Mike, be pumped. Be very pumped. I'll bet that you and Ryan set a P/C PR at Rocket City!

Hope you enjoyed the doggie fartlek, Enke.

"Tammy, I'm wondering if they could be pickled." Ah ha - we ARE talking about Congress!

Leslie, I'm glad you enjoyed the moonlit sky while feeding the cats yesterday.

Of all the great lines yesterday, I liked OM's the best:  "mo boy, I am SO glad you included a photo when you wrote Texas Stool..."  Shocked

Deeze, I'm so glad that Justin is looking better these days! I hope it sticks.

Nice job at Tufts, LaT!  I hope you got out "early" today.

I'm so sorry about your tough situation with your Mom, C-R. And I'm sorry that I don't have any advice to share.

Nice 12-er in the Park, WC!

David scores again! Congrats to him, Tammy.

I was up at o'dark this morning, but used the time to catch up on some emails and reading instead of heading out for a tour of the neighborhood. I have so much reading to do, and so little time to fit it in that it is maddening. That (referring to Twocats post some days ago) is why I don't watch any prime-time TV - it isn't high on my list, and there is no time for that either.

Enjoy your Friday, and have the time of your life if you are racing this weekend!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Summer returns to the east coast.  3.8 miles in 61°.  felt hot and humid after the nice pleasant 40's of the past couple of weeks.

Wow, Jay.  When you catch up on your reading, you don't fool around.  Shocked  That recap is pretty amazing, even by your standards.

so............What Jay said.

On a completely different subject, my DD is looking for ideas for a Halloween costume.  There are a bunch of creative folks around here (me definitely not included) so I thought I'd see what you can offer.  BTW, she's 22 and living in CA if that matters.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Hey gang

Wow what a talkative group yesterday.

I woke up in the early am hours and the moon had everything lit up so brightly...I fell back asleep thinking about a moonlit run along the Mississippi. Clouds rolled in before my alarm clock so it was another pitch black run.

7 easy miles.

Later all!

Dave59

Today was a gym day and another run of 1 "mile" on The Curve at the end of the workout.

Here's some pumpkin pi for the nerds of the group:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3779/10345150136_d1acf7b8fc.jpg

MikeE - Did you ever come up with anything for the runner who performed better in practice than in meets?  I was always that way too (and it's never too late to pick up some tips.)  I was an average runner so the drop-off wasn't that noticeable, but I was a decent trombone player and I used to throw-up before most of our concerts and under performed in contests.  I think it was a fear of messing up in front of people.

Good Friday morning guys and all to follow. Wow - that was some recap Jay! How many words can you type a minute?

Norm, so sorry to hear about your mother. My brother-in-law has Alzheimer's and it's so sad to watch him fade away. He used to be such a social, happy guy and the disease is making him very inward. I think part of his problem is because he can't remember things any more, he's afraid to jump into conversations. My sister is very worried about her role as a care giver as he continues to decline. I told her that's what family is for.  I hope you have a strong support system.

So far so good for Justin. Hope he continues to do well Deez. We keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Ribs - my DH was the administrator at a local hospital for over 30 years. I'm curious to see how things went with your new client.

Mike - you've got a lot on your plate lately. Hopefully that hip thing turns out to be just a bad sleeping position!

Holly - that video was hilarious! And Dave? Big grin Nice pumpkin!

Hey Carolyn - there's snow in our forecast for next week. I'm so not ready for that.

Signed up for a 5k tomorrow. First race since I fell last spring and screwed up my hamstring/back. I'm not expecting much but it feels great to be running a race again. Cross training today with elliptical/bike and weights/core.

Have a great Friday everyone!

BlazinCajun

Noticed some different members here since the last time I posted.

Welcome HopesMom and mo boy. Loved the post about zombie defense - you could hook em up to the generator for sustainable electrical power.

Coastwalker and slo_hand - totally agree that water catchment and infiltration are important for minimizing surface runoff. Should maybe consider a credit of sorts to those who store rainwater in large underground containers to be used for outdoor watering. Conserve water and minimize stormwater runoff at the same time. Also, taller lawn grass retains more water than short grass. Building commisions should consider how fill is used in construction. All it takes is a zone of clay to interupt any infiltration zone. Minimize compaction and fill in open areas should also help. Interesting stuff.

Saw where Tom Selby posted a questionable word:-)

Mike - great that you are teaming up with Ryan for the marathon

Timbo - hoping - hang in there

Little over 7 trail miles this morning.

Blazin

Andrew
              ------------------
              God, my Lord, is my strength;
              he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
              and enables me to go upon the heights.
              Hb 3:19

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

If a race usually gets 4 or 5 walkers (or runners 65-70, or 70+), does it make sense to give out awards to most of the entrants in that category? However, when you look at what those older runners are accomplishing compared to so many others in their age range, it should be an honor to help celebrate their fitness and tenacity, regardless of how many runners they are competing against.

thanks jay.

.A King of Fogs swallowed up what was planned to be a royal start to the day of four miles into the softly setting Queen of Moons.

Doesn’t matter though as a happy dad is still basking in the afterglow of a surprise dinner with DD.  You see, one of her airline friends had some extra passes and brought her down for a belated surprise party extended weekend starting with a parental dinner.  They won't tell her what's happening until it happens. what fun.

Now all I need is an excuse to go back to that Japanese restaurant again in case anyone else is comin' to town.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

I'm with Jay and Tet on the older runners observation.  In the 65-69 AG, there are so few of us, that it tells me we have hung on and keep going, while others have dropped off.  I have no speed any more but I am so happy I can do this.

Sorry to hear that Norm.

Good job by David Tamster who I am not talking to.

Jlynne, re my entry into healthcare, one of my clients makes a heart stent, another negotiates payments between insurance companies and hospitals and this new one is in the peer review business.  This is where the company has a staff of doctors who review for the insurance company what the intended medical procedure will be in order to make a judgment on what a fair diagnosis and cost ought to be.  This is very common with insurance companies.  I'm looking forward to it.

5 easy miles this morning at the park. Should get just over 30 for the week, so I'm considering myself back at it.

Man, it's hard to keep up with this chatty bunch! I've got a busy day ahead, so just time for a short drop-in today.

When I went out to get the paper this morning it was a totally clear sky with the winter constellations rising and a full (?) moon setting in the west. It reminded me of the early morning before-work runs I used to take at this time of year when I'd be running on the golf course by moonlight and then get to see the sun rising.

Just got back from a really nice 8-mile solo run, going back on the path thru the woods that runs along the old railroad bed and canal towpath. Colors are not quite at peak, but close. The only thing to watch out for is fallen leaves that cover up roots and other trippable hazards. It was also a definite change-of-seasons run with the morning temperatures dropping off a lot lately.

Have a good weekend too, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

....ribs and jay and tet//.........and the rest of us geezers will just have to Race Vicariously thru you

......but it was Fun While it Lasted........

Good Running to ya guys.....

=========

,,,,,,,dg//..........No, YOU'RE the Inspiration.........

also wb beats nopr

(,,,,,,,still out sick, so nopr)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - that video was hilarious! 

They have other video parodies, too - did you see the one for The Walking Dead - hilarious!

Jay - I think I will not race tomorrow.  With my other weekend plans, it would really work better to do my LR on Sunday, so that is what I will do.

Slo - my DD is going to be a Cave Woman (girl) for Halloween this year.  I bought a pattern and some leopard material and will sew the costume with her help tomorrow.  Of course, given the cool temps on Halloween (and her young age), I am also dying some thermals for her to wear under the dress.

2 miles for me on the TM this morning in my V5Fs, followed by 20 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

will run for popsicles

i always have a hard time spelling albuquerque. this is probably why i prefer santa fe.

Marathon Maniac #957

groan....

Some of those have gotta hurt......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wow, Jay.  When you catch up on your reading, you don't fool around.  Shocked  That recap is pretty amazing, even by your standards.

so............What Jay said.

++1 Big grin

8 monster waves while swimming in open water with a watermelon  - Say what??  The inclusion of Moboy in this group is going to make things veeeery interesting, indeed.

I'm terrible at costumes and haven't dressed up since we went to a hilly billy party.  . . . . most of the people there probably would've fit in with Slo's family. Wink

Late nights the last two nights kept me in bed in this a.m., especially last night when I didn't get to sleep 'til almost midnight.  Although, last night at Bonkos I came in 2nd and got $30!  So in the last 4 months, I've place 1st twice ($60 ea time) and then 2nd last night.  Suffice to say the rest of the group is jealous.Approve

Going to be working with The Hub tomorrow manhandling a weed wacker for a few hours (The Hub: It's not a weed wacker, it's a string trimmer.  Me: Whatever).  I predict a sore upper body by Sunday.  He'd better pay me in frozen yogurt like he's supposed to have the last 3x I've worked for him. Evil

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

That's awesome mo. They should all be sung to the 12 Days of Christmas. Just a thought.

Thanks for the well wishes and the advice Dive. I will look into that group. Today was a tougher day but we did get one smile.

Ran a track workout with my son at lunch (fall break started today so no school). 8x400s and so on. It was a blast and he's doing real well. Told me on the warm up run from our house to the track that he loved running. Actually used the word "loved". Ruh roh raggy. He'll be passing me soon but I will enjoy the journey.

Salt marshes? Way up North. Thought those were a southern thing. I am amazed at how much I learn every day and some even from this grumpy group. Wink

We had that same moon on our run last night Slo. Beautiful and helped light the roads too. Hey Slo - I want to amend our wager. I plan to put my money on my kid to beat us both to sub 19.

Back to work. Racing a half tomorrow.

Have a great weekend everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/